ETL Challenge 1-04

Mckmain

Cathlete
Good morning ETLers!

I thought since I was here, I'd start this check-in early. I did post last night but not sure you will see it.

Just wanted to say thanks! My first day of no chips yesterday!!! And I got in about 70 ounces of water! This check-in has really helped me get back on track. This is what I had yesterday:

B: fruit smoothie
L: Big salad with spinach, romaine, red onions, tomato, kidney beans and some avocado. I used a bit of Paul Newmans Olive oil & Vinegar dressing...
Snack: genisoy protein bar
D: Boca Burger sauteed with portobelllo mushrooms and onions, brussel sprouts, some rice and another salad.

Keep up the good work...:)

Carole- nice menu :)

ETL has been a loose guide for me since last March, for those of you who haven't seen me on this check in yet. Yes , I did loose between 10-15 pounds eating this way.I am not vegan as I do eat the soy cheese with casein, and seafood. As with Carole, I have been into the chips and a few sweets as of late, so perhaps a visit here will be encouraging.

Today's plan:
B- fruit smoothie
L- black bean chili (fruit if still hungry )
S- 2 apples micro cooked with cinnamon
D- calamari with diced tomato sauce and whole wheat pasta and large romaine salad

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Hi Carole & Judy --and other ETLers.....

Great menu plans here.

I am stumped by ETL though because even if I eat nearly entirely vegan, I seem to "need" or my body seems to require more whole grain carbs or fruit or legumes (more for carbs I think than the protein) for me to stay fueled.

I can't seem to make the plan work for me without adding at least 6-8 whole grain servings per day -- and even then, I feel loopy & dizzy.....I feel best with 9-11 whole grain serving -- serving defined as 1/4 C raw oats or 1 slice Ezekiel Bread or 1/2 C cooked bulgur

Since you both run a lot -- more mileage than me -- I am only doing 20 miles per week at most, any thoughts on what I could do differently ?

-Barb
:)

Barb...I don't think you need to follow his plan exactly. All our metabolisms are different. Do what works for you, as the strict program in the 1st 6 weeks is actually for weight loss and I know you don't need to loose weight!! I will say though, that loopy and dizzy I always associated with not enough protein? When I first started ETL I know I needed more protein for my long runs as I would feel weak during those. I was eating then about 60-80 grams a day of protein until my body adjusted...:)

Carole--thanks for the ideas on protein -- and saying I don't need to lose weight. I'm definitely not trying to lose weight, but trying to find a way to eat for health that keeps my energy stable.

I get 80g of protein per day when I'm done with all of those grain servings and add in the beans + 1 serving a soy milk. But maybe I should try to change around when I eat those things.

My confusion with ETL is on the grain servings in the 6-week or the maintenance plan -- it seems the recommendation is always way lower than what works for me. I seem to need to get to a "whole grain carb amount" to make the loopy-dizzy thing stop -- and when I get there, be it through fruit, whole grains or legumes -- I'm set. But it is really not in sync with what ETL recommends doing in terms of timing meals.

Thanks for the support to do whatever works for me!
-Barb

Good morning ETL'ers!

I am interpreting Dr. Furhman's plan as an ideal way to feed and nourish ourselves on plant sources alone. He makes an EXCELLENT argument against consuming animal sources, which really opened my eyes. The inevitable result is terrific health and energy. His six week plan is very low fuel for those of us who workout hard and are not following ETL for weight loss, so I add sweet potatoes, plenty of beans, tofu, avocados, nuts (not too many) while still always trying to go for 1 lb of fresh and 1 lb of cooked greens daily. Also, the day always starts with 1/2 cup oats cooked with an apple, cinnamon and 1 cup of soy milk. I have had no energy loss and am totally up to Cathe's workouts - any of them. The rest of you??

By the way, here is my very favorite sweet potato dip recipe. I eat it as a vegetable, too! Excellent with red pepper strips and carrot disks.
3 Cups chopped peeled sweet potato (about 1 pound or a little more)
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped carrot
4 whole peeled cloves garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
S & P
1/4 cup tahini
more S & P
Drizzle all the veggies with olive oil and S & P and roast in a 350 degree oven about an hour until they are soft and browning up. Pure all of it, along with any juices, in a food processor with the tahini and perhaps some more S & P to taste. Get a spoon...

Barb- I am not as strict on ETL and I run only 20 mile as my upper limit weekly. But in the maintenance application, I eat the grains. In fact I will occaisionally eat pizza made with white flour (gasp) and soy cheese or no cheese if we are at a restaurant. ( I do not prefer to do this, but I don't always have a whole wheat piazza crust on had when my family wants a pizza) Being part of a moderatly large and busy family, there are compromises to be made.

It is matter of finding what works for each individual.

Eating is not an all or nothing plan for me. I do mostly the ETL principles and it works fine. ( If using this for a weight loss plan, I recommend being more pure with the first 6 weeks of the plan. I did so with great results)

ETA- awesome recipe Charlotte!

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Hi everyone!

I think that tailoring the plan to fit your individual needs is fine. At one point in the book he states that if all you get out of reading it is eating more fresh fruits, vegetables, and beans, you are moving in the right direction and even during the holidays when I was eating so badly, I was at least doing this, so .....

Charlotte--I'm looking forward to that recipe. Mmmmmm. I love roasted vegetables anyway, although I use just a small smearing of olive oil (I do need to drop a few pounds)

For breakfast I had:
green tea with 1/3c milk and 1tsp sugar (my cheat)
8 strawberries
2 kiwis
1/3 cup walnuts

I plan to have a huge salad with carrots, peppers, lentils, and mushrooms for lunch and smaller similar salad for dinner with beans along with zuchinni and a small baked potato. Fruit for a snack.

Sounds like you are all doing well and I love getting ideas about what else I can eat. I found this plan, although effective for weight loss, got very monotonous for me, especially all the salad with no dressing. I'll have to see if I can find some of those bottled dressings he mentioned, since I am too lazy to make the ones in the recipe section.

take care
Maggie:)

Maggie:

Try tossing the salads with a little bit of Flax seed oil and some rice wine vinegar. Slightly sweet and very, very tasty!

Here's what i just made up for lunch: oone pound bag of frozen peas cooked with about 1/4 cup of frozen cranberries, about 1/4 cup chopped green chiles, 1 Tbsp of peanut butter and a little bit of soy milk. Yum!

Judy--and Maggie--and Charlotte & Carole,
Thanks for the support for me to keep individualizing this.

I guess I will keep doing what works and not get bothered by eating more grains because it's not exactly what the book says. But I think I will move toward trying to add a bean/legume serving and maybe drop a grain serving and see how it works.

The book really made me increase my fruit & veggie consumption.

Charlotte--great recipe. Thanks! The peas idea is great, too. I'm going to try that.

Here's a bulgur-burger recipe I made the other night. I baked them in the oven and they were fragile as a burger, but really tasty. I didn't have any parsley, but they were still good. Next time, I'll try to add the legumes.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Bulgher_Burger

-Barb

Hello all-I am following this plan as "best" as I can right now (really trying to get more veggies and fruits first before other things-yesterday I had:

1 slice whole grain bread with healthy P. butter
smoothie w/ whey, fruit low-fat vanilla yogurt & soy milk & banana
med. salad w/ kidney beans, romaine, almonds, craisins, cucs & gr pepper with a little bit of low-fat ital dressing
whole grain tortilla chips with homemade salsa

today-

kashi & all bran mix w/ soy milk
1 lg apple
2 slices whole wheat brad w/ healthy p. b.
low sodium v-8 juice (sm. can)
1 clememtine
smoothie w/ whey/yodurt/fruit/soy milk/banana/romaine leaves
1/2 whole wheat pita with tuns & spinach leaves (mayo & mustard-sm amounts)

any suggestions--deb

Hello Everyone:

I also do not follow the plan exactly. My fat calories are a little higher because I add some almond butter to my protein shake for the Vit E.

Today so far:

Breakfast: Quiona with apple, 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed and rice milk
Snack: Grapefruit
Lunch: Lentil Stew and raw baby carrots
Post Workout Snack: 2 scoops of plain rice protein powder, 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 1 cup rice milk, 1 banana, 1 tablespoon of carob powder (this is so yummy and it is my daily treat)
Dinner: I am planning on having a huge salad with chickpeas

Since the challenge started I have been a little skimpy on the veggies but this weekend I am going to head to the farmers market and load up on lots of veggies. I would like to start eating kale and collard greens more often.

I found this link online. It is a download for a free Vegan cookbook. http://www.vitalita.com/cookbooks.html

I did not try any of the recipes yet but I thought it was really cool that it listed all the nutrition information and had pictures for all the recipes.

I am loving everyone's food suggestions:7

I found this web site www.fatfreevegan.com I have not tried anything on it yet, but it has a whole section on ETL compatible recipes. If you try anything, let us know what you tried and how you liked it. I'll do the same.

Maggie:)

Hey everyone! I am still in lurking mode until Sat. Tomorrow's lunch is my last eating out thingy that I have to do. Sounds like everyone is doing great.

I did want to share an experience I had today. I had lunch at my mil's house with several of my dh's family (female). The purpose of the lunch was mainly for one of my dh's older cousins that has liver cancer. She is shortly traveling to the treatment center in another state that she has been using and they are expecting to hear that all her treatment options have been used. Most of the women were around 60ish. The cousin and her sister started talking about how they thought all the years she spent on Lipitor contributed to the cancer. They said there was no documented evidence of it causing cancer, but that it could cause liver damage. They both seemed to feel that it had contributed to her cancer. Then all the others started comparing cholesterol/blood pressure meds. Made me all the more determined to start ETL.

I know some would think that I should have just insisted on eating my way or bringing my food to the luncheon, but there was no way I was going to do anything to cause a fuss at this somewhat sad event.

Oh, by the way, what was served you ask? Well my mil is an outstanding Southern cook and at 81 still put out a delicious meal that would have stopped Fuhrman in his tracks - candied sweet potatoes, fried chicken, homemade mac & cheese, southern peas (cooked with pork), 7 layer salad ( 3 layers are mayo, cheese and bacon) and chocolate cake oh and collard greens - also cooked with pork, lol. Not one thing to eat! Well, tomorrow is my last thingy - a lunch out for me and the kids with my recently widowed mom.

After I am established and in a groove with this eating I will not give in so easily to the "guilt" factor with my family, but this week I felt I needed to be there for them without causing any fuss. Keep up the good work , I am enjoying reading your posts and getting ideas . Marnie

Jacque, how do you like the rice protien powder and what kind did you get? I got some that was recommended on some site I found and got it this week - Nutribiotic maybe? Anyway, the guy said chocolate was good and that's what I got. I don't know what I was thinking though, I always get vanilla so I can mix it with fruit. I haven't opened it yet, so I'm not sure if I'll give it a go or exchange it. I logged on fitday and I wanted to add in a little protien powder - at least until my system is use to more beans. Marnie

Hi everyone,

Well this is my 5th day on ETL - I think we are a day ahead of you, not sure what your time zone is there - it is the 5th January, 9.01 am here.

Today so far,

raspberries, strawberries and blueberries for breakfast. Rest of the day is planned as such

Snack - banana

Lunch - salad

Snack - Fruit

Dinner - veggies

Seems as though we are all doing well so far.

Kim:)

BTW Jacque - thanks for the link to the free downloadable cookbook. :)

wow! I am so glad to see all of you here, working so hard!! I'm so glad we can motivate eachother also :)

today was a great day, i've kicked the caffeine habit (for now):) and I enjoyed a nice menu today and some energy to spare for a good workout - early morning workout too!! Its so nice to come home and not have to work out after a full day of work.

today's menu:
b- 1 c oatmeal, apple
l-huge salad, some brown rice, fruit and 2 ginger snap cookies
s- 1 banana
d- a few shrimp, artichoke (baked) and asparagus and probably a peice of fruit

keep up the great work ladies!!!

:) -Tina

Carole, I'm glad to see you here and that the check helped you! I look up to you for your determination and drive. Keep it up! :)

I just realized I posted on the wrong day. I am pasting my post here.

Hi ladies -

I just saw this check-in. Do you mind if I join? DH and I have sort of started the ETL plan a few weeks ago. I haven't finished reading the book yet, but I know the basics. However, DH and I are not totally giving up meat. We have 2 chicken dishes for dinner a week, and sometimes I have to eat some kind of meat for lunch. I say that because I eat out every day for lunch at work. My boss has a rule that we must go out to eat for lunches to "network" or whatever. I get in trouble if I eat lunch at my desk. A lot of place I go I can get a salad, but they usually have no protein choices except for meat. So I will get a salad with chicken on it. Today for example, I had a luncheon at work where food was provided - it was fajitas, with no side options beside tortilla chips. So I didn't really have an option today.

Yesterday:
B: steel cut oats with some raspberries
L: veggie burger on ww bun with side salad
D: salad with veggies, cup of tomato soup, 1/2 a Ezekiel tortilla with a bunch of black beans and rice cheese inside (a yummy way to add legumes without putting them on the salad)

Today's menu:

B: Fruit smoothie with flaxseed and protein powder
L: 2 chicken fajitas
D: salad with veggies, side of split pea soup and some chickpeas. A few clementines for dessert.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.