Crazy Sexy Cool Ontarians! Monday, Feb 9

morningstar

Cathlete
Hey guys, time for a new start to a new week and for me, a new workout, so here's a new thread! Buba, I am now very jealous of your DOMS - how sick am I?

Pasting from my blog ('cause my finger hurts too much to type more!), here's my CLX review (yep, babying myself over the weekend did the trick and my cold didn't get worse - I worked out today!):

Well, here it is: my first CLX review, now that I have done the first workout, Burn Circuit 1. First, a caveat: yesterday at around noon I sliced off a good piece of skin from my index finger. I put a bandage on it immediately, but it still hurts like hell and it's still bleeding the next day. (feel sorry for me? )

So, at times during the workout, I had to put down my heavy weight on that side because I just couldn't grip properly with that finger and it hurt too much. That being said, here we go:

I sweated a lot, but didn't really feel my muscles were being worked hard. It felt kind of strange; I was working hard, but it didn't feel like my muscles were doing the work, but it didn't feel like a cardio workout either. I would be surprised if I have DOMS tomorrow, but I've heard that others have had them on CLX when they weren't expecting them either. The workout seemed short to me, and I didn't feel wiped at the end - like I could do more workouts. I used weights ranging from 12lb DBs (posterior flyes - there's a lot of them for some reason) to a 65lb BB. I deliberately went a little lighter to get a feel for the workout. I would feel comfortable at a heavier weight, once my finger heals a little. For the compound exercise mixing the posterior flyes with the deadlifts, I did them twice - once as the program said to, and then once with the deadlifts on their own to lift heavy.

I didn't really feel like I got into a groove with the workout, but Chalene cues well for form. I think that, being as I am into lifting heavy, and really fatiguing the muscle completely, this is a completely new way of working out for me and it will take me a while to get used to it. I also do not really like compound exercises as a rule, but am willing to be open minded about it, because the Burn Circuit is all about compound exercises.

All in all, I'm looking forward to continuing the series. I was looking to try something different and challenge myself in a new way and this may be it.

Quote from other thread: Morningstar: I like your new avatar. How are you liking CLX? Have you ever tried itread or only cardio coach? How do you like cardio coach? Is the music good?

I have never even heard of itread - are you about to tell me about yet another program that I simply must spend my money on? :D The Cardio Coach music is spot on - really like it and it works well with walking in a large city, because it's quite intense and at times sort of industrial. Every workout has different music.

Hi everyone - another Ontarian here.

I thought I would reply to the posts about the CN Tower climb. I used to do it once per year, back when I was slimmer and lighter. My best time was 17.5 minutes (body weight about 135 lbs). My worst time was about 21 minutes (at about 145 lbs). I found that my body weight directly affected my performance, all else (amount of training, intensity, etc.) being equal. Right now I'm way too close to 170 lbs so I'm not even going to attempt it in April - I would probably have a heart attack or something. Maybe by October I can do the Halloween climb.

If you do the climb, make sure you train for it! Find a place with lots of stairs (such as a stairwell in an office or apartment building) and climb a couple of times per week for about half an hour. Learn where your steady pace is. Also, do lower body weights a couple of times per week. To train for what turned out to be my best time, I did Leaner Legs twice per week for 4 weeks before the climb (in addition to stair climb practice at work).

Stebby

Hi Everyone,

Sorry morningstar, i did not realize there was a new thread! Last week i started using the stairs at work again. My office is on the 6th floor so it's a good workout to walk up instead of using the elevator.

Last night i did the LoMax Step only premix and Namaste yoga. I was planning on Jari Love tonight but i may do Muscle endurance instead. I haven't made up my mind!

Morningstar: How are the Cardio Coach workouts organized? If doing on a treadmill does he tell you what speed and incline to use? I really want to get more use out of my treadmill and this may be a way to do it.

HDAWG: Congrats on getting all your workout goodies! Let us know how you like all your new workouts!

Stebby: Thanks for the CN tower climb tips. I may aim to attempt this in the fall as well if they have one then.

I hope everyone else is having a great week. See you next time!

Stebby- welcome! All this talk about the CN Tower makes me think about doing it, bad knees and all. What a great challenge that would be for someone like me, who hated cardio until about 2 weeks ago!

Buba - are you kidding me? You did a Cathe - any Cathe - legs workout twice because you just weren't getting enough of a workout? You are my hero!

Twinkle, I thought your comment on suza's blog was dead on and really supportive.

Elle, I keep feeling like you might be a bit down on yourself and depressed. Fitness is for a lifetime - it's a marathon, not a sprint. We are here to live lives with energy and exuberance, not kick ourselves when we don't do everything we had hoped to do. Just showing up and doing your best day after day is the way we get there -as someone commented, rather brilliantly, on the forum - the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time and focus on each bite rather than the rest of the elephant still to go.

So, my workout today:

Got lots of sleep last night after crashing and burning after the meeting yesterday - went to bed at 7:30pm, right after dinner.

This morning, woke up and did Burn Circuits 2, and then Cardio Coach 3 walking on my way to work (I actually ran for the final challenge sprints). I haven't quite got the form down for the CLX exercises yet (using more than one body part at a time means that there is a lot of form to be careful with!) but hope that next time I will. I am having problems with the CLX Burn Circuits DVD, as it won't always play in my DVD player - I have only managed to get it to work once. The rest of the time I have had to use my computer, which doesn't have as good speakers and has a smaller monitor than my TV, so I'm not thrilled about that.

I can now rest until tomorrow's Cardio Coach walk and then tomorrow evening's Burn Intervals and abs (and maybe Burn it off too, if I have the energy).

Morningstar - thanks for the nice welcome! I have a bad knee too. I tore my ACL in 1993 and have had two surgeries - it's OK most of the time but I really need to make sure I keep it strong. I can't do high impact cardio at all, but the CN Tower climb is low impact (at least the way I do it - there's always a bunch of firefighters who run all the way up, but I just walk, a little faster than 1 step per second). I say go for it! Maybe a bunch of us can do it together in October! (I have to get below 150 though.)

Elle - I haven't done Muscle Endurance for ages - you reminded me that I love this workout! I should do it this week. I'm starting STS on Monday (the 3 1/2 month rotation) so I won't be doing any other weight workouts until May.

I went Spinning this morning, which was thoroughly exhausting because I haven't slept properly for the past two nights. I really need to do some stretching so I'm hoping to do some yoga this evening. I also need to do some abs! Probably Core Max segment #2.

My problem knee (mentioned above) started acting up in November. I had taken 2 weeks off my workouts due to a bad cold which turned into bronchitis and a sinus infection. That's always a bad thing - as soon as I stop working out, my left leg immediately (or so it seems) becomes imbalanced and my IT band tightens up. It got to the point that I could hardly walk down stairs, although walking up wasn't too bad. Walking in general was difficult. I started seeing a chiropractor for it in December and I'm still going. (I never knew that chiropractors did anything but backs, but I have been enlightened :) ) I'm just now building the strength and balance back up in my leg, and the chiro is rubbing knots out of my muscles. I'm walking pretty well and I will be ready for STS next week.

Hope everyone is enjoying this lovely weather! It ain't gonna last.

Stebby

Hi Every one,

I better catch up it's Wednesday already.

Congrats. Mary getting your order must have been like Christmas all over :D
Sorry about your fee, is it not like a hit and miss, some just go through and then the next will get a charge :mad:.
I have a home gym I bought in Germany years ago, it is purple and white LOL!!
It was in pieces for many many years, finally put it together in my bedroom :eek: two years ago.
A week later it is in the basement and I have work out room #2 :D:D
My cardio room is a wood floor room with mirrors on one wall, just out side my bedroom, it has a window and sliding glass doors to a balcony deck.
It was nice to have the gym close by but it took up half the room, sooo:rolleyes:
The gym has a bench press rack that is adjustable, and I just sit on my bench stand up putting the bar on my back, and I have to walk straddling the bench LOL, to get to my squatting spot with my mirror. :p

Morningstar - I did squat rack #2, weights were increased 5% and we did 1 less rep. so only 7 this round. Because I did the bonus round and Cathe said to be consistent, I did a extra round. Just waiting for the pain to kick in :eek:.
I love how you work out on your way to work, how are you liking the CLX, what kind of weights and reps. does it have. Is it a whole program like P90X?

Stebby - thanks for the tips on the CN tower, and way to go on your climbs you should be very proud :):)

Elle - hope you enjoyed your Low Max, I love that W/O, how often do you do yoga ? What type of yoga or W/O are your favorite?
6 flights of stairs at work, that's a stair master W/O in itself :D

Doing cardio today, am torn between kick box and step :rolleyes:
Will follow what ever up with a round of ab circuits :)

Bri :):):)

Hello girls :)

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a new thread. It makes sense though, every week, a new thread starts. I am such a newbie (lol)

Elle: Thanks for the congrats on my new order. Now all I have to do is actually watch them and start. I am still finishing up a training program with a PT at the gym to help me loose 8 more pounds (will it ever go). I would like to be at my ideal weight before I start STS. Originally, I wanted to start STS with Cathe but then I thought, why rush? What are my goals? That said, I will probally just play around with Muscel Max and Butts & Gutts, 4DS etc before delving into STS.

Also, you may want to look in to itread as well as Cardio Coach. itread tells you what speed to be at where as Cardio Coach is based on percieved excertion. I have heard good things about them both. I think I kind of like itread a bit more from what I have sampled from their websites but am not completely sure as I can only hear a 30 sec clip. itread kind of has better music but the lady's voice (Grace) is not as soothing/sexy as Sean from cardio coach IMO:p

Stebby: great tips for the CN Tower climb (thanks). I will try to train atleast once a week maybe twice, I am racking my brain to think of a place that has lots of stairs. Maybe a condo! I didn't know there was a Halloween climb. I would join a group of us if you still want to by then.

Bri: Yes, it does feel like Christmas and my birthday and Valentines day (hee, hee) if my DH only knew how much we "invested" lol. Oh well, it actually was investment, in me and my health!
Your home gym sounds lovely. Wood floors and a walk out? That sounds heavenly. You truly are inspirational. Two rounds of legs!!! Go Girl!!

Morningstar. Yes, itread is another fitness thing to spend money on. I have not ordered any yet myself but have been on the website many times. I have been debating between them and Cardio Coach for some time now.
I am so glad that your are reviewing CLX. I have had my eye on it for a while now but wanted to wait to hear reviews. I didn't like how beach body doesn't post clips from the workouts like Cathe does. That in itself made me hold off ordering. I do however, hope you like it once you get into it. That sucks about your finger, has it healed up at all yet?

Have a good rest of the week all.
Mary

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I got home pretty late after teaching yoga tonight so i did basic step and Namaste yoga. I'm a little sore from Ripped and Chiseled today as well.

HDawg: I will definitely check out itread. I like the idea that they tell you what speed to go at

Morningstar: Thanks for the encouragement. I know there's going to be ups and downs along the way, i just need to make sure that little slip ups don't turn into long stretches of lazinesss!

Bri: Your workout space sounds great! As for my yoga, i'm currently alternating weight workout days with yoga & cardio days in an effort to fit everything in wothout burning out. I was doing my own practice which usually takes about 90 minutes but now that i've started doing cardio on yoga days i've just been doing the Namaste yoga DVD instead.

Stebby: Since i'm back to taking the stairs at work i will definitely think about doing the October CN tower climb. I better be below 150 by then as well!;)

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on my workouts:

Yesterday evening: Core Max - medicine ball segment. Yow!
Today: Muscle Endurance (thanks again for reminding me about it, Elle!) - loved it, tough workout. I couldn't finish the abs because I was still sore from yesterday's core max.
Tonight: I'm taking skating lessons - have to head out to Seneca College in 5 minutes for my class!

Talk to you all later!

Stebby

So Thursday I did abs in the morning, Cardio Coach 4 to walk to work, walk home regular pace and then CLX Burn Intervals in the evening. I did the low impact options.

Today I did Cardio Coach 5 for my walk to work, and tonight I will do Burn Circuit 3 using my weight vest at 40lbs and heavy weights (was going to do it this morning, but wanted more time between workouts)

Saturday is CLX Burn it Off and some Abs Circuits and some more walking (maybe a Cardio Coach, maybe just regular walking).

Sunday is yoga day, and I think I will really need it! Today my hamstrings on my right side are actually spasming and have been all morning. Never had that before, it's a very interesting sensation.

On a less fun note, my washing machine has died, so if anyone knows a good (cheap!) place to buy a condo-sized washer and dryer stacking combo in TO, please let me know.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Be active and have fun!

Okay, where are ya, my little Ontarihotties? Been out having Valentine's fun, or working your muscles into the ground?

I seriously thought about playing with my STS after my CLX today, but was disciplined and just did a bit of Abs Circuits. Trying to work smarter and more intense, not longer, dontcha know! It feels weird to stop after only an hour or so, though. I suppose I'll get used to it - just about the time I will have to lengthen my workouts again for P90X and STS!

I bought a pull up bar, and used it last night and today. Well, let me tell you, ain't no damned way this chile was getting her carcass anywhere up that thing! I did pull my legs up and am hoping that helps the abs, anyway! I'm hoping just attempting the pull up or chin up will build muscle - that the actual achieving is just icing on the cake. Am I deluding myself, do you think? I know I am strong, but my weight is quite high (my Tanita keeps telling me my muscle mass alone is in the 101-116lb range - and let's not forget that all important fat I have hanging around!) so I am hoping as my weight goes down I will get closer to lifting my butt a bit higher on the thing.

Buba, your workout room has an interesting effect that you may not have intended - it's turning me green!

Hi all Happy Valentines Day !!!!!!!!!!

Hey Morningstar, - wanted to say hi yesterday too but a long and very muddy dog walking expo, and then getting my two teeny- boppers off to baby sitting jobs and well you everything else.
I did get my work out in I did week 2 meso 3 chest&back, I'm loving the heavy weights. I want to start STS with every one else too though :confused::confused:
Maybe I will finish meso 3 and then play catch up, not sure.
Thanks about the W/O room, I love the upstairs cardio room. It needs more work out decor but I do have a old barbell DH attached to the sky light window to use as a chin up bar LOL. Kids hang on it like monkeys, but they can actually do chin ups too. I can do chin ups but can't do a pull up either :(. I plan on doing them though, do a cheat on the way up and work on the negatives I heard that works and plan to try that too :p:p
The weight room is in the basement on carpet, it's not finished yet but I have big dreams for it ;);)
I think you will get used to working out for one hour, as long as the intensity is there you'll be fine and there is no risk of over training.
Are you doing STS as is, or are you mixing it up a little ?

Mary - Have you tried Drill Max yet? Are you in DOMS heaven trying out all your new W/O's LOL ;);)

Stebby - How did the skating lessons go?

Elle - I have been feeling really tight and spasm-ish, (if that's a word) :eek:
Maybe I should do some yoga as well. I have done the extended stretch and that felt soooooooooo good. :):)

Have an awesome long week end all,

Bri.:):)

Happy Valentine's Day! Did anybody get any goodies that they don't know what to do with? I got a big heart shaped box of dark chocolates from my mom. If I can limit myself to one little heart every couple of days I will be OK - I'm afraid of suddenly eating 10 hearts and wondering what happened though. :)

Morningstar - am I understanding correctly - you are planning to do both STS and P90X? Together? One after the other? You must be so fit - just reading about your workouts has me in awe. Are you enjoying CLX?

Bubachick - my skating lesson was great! Only about half the people in my session showed up. So there were only about 15 people on the whole rink - it felt like I had it to myself. I worked on my stopping (coming along but still not very good) and figure drills (I am terrible with this, but I am starting to learn the tricks for skating on one foot). There are a number of drills they have us do which really work the inner thighs - I love those! Also, wow - your workout room sounds amazing.

My workout today was a single 20 minute segment from Rodney Yee's AM Yoga (the one with the 5 workouts on it). I did the Twists segment today. It really loosened me up. That's all I did - woke up late and had to get to my overscheduled day.

Later, hotties!

Stebby

Hello Ladies,
I just finished LoMax and Namaste (gate opening episode). I feel good now so i'm glad i made myself do something.

Stebby: That's great that you are taking skating lessons. I should look into that since i never really learned to skate properly. As a kid i kind of just went on the ice and did whatever. How did you find your course?

Morningstar and Bri: I too am always very motivated and inspired with both of your workouts. Thanks for the inspiration.

Happy Valentine's day!

Elle

Hi You Gals and welcome Stebby! Happy Valentines Day!!!

I've been so exhausted of late that I haven't posted (yes, Morningstar, unfortunately nothing as interesting as Valentines keeping me away). I just kinda crashed and burned at the beginning of the week so I rested up and only worked out on Wednesday and Friday. On Wed. I did my gym workout for legs and chest and on Friday, I was so proud of myself, I did Body Max 2's premix Cardio & Weights all on an 8" step. Yahoo, it was awesome!!:D I still haven't done any more 1RM's:eek:, but I may try some tomorrow but I also want to do Imax 2. We'll see how it goes. Cause I want to start STS with Cathe on Monday!!:p

Stebby: Nice to meet another STSer!

HDawg: That's great that your staying focused to your goals!

Bri: Yes, I think your workout rooms are turning me green too!:p

Elle: You seem to have worked out a nice way to fit in your yoga by doing it on cardio days. I have Namaste too! Isn't that an awesome program. I haven't used mine in a long time I think I'll try adding it to my cardio days too. Though the only thing I miss with them is the chatarunga's. But actually it may be better that way as it's lighter and less intense, more relaxing after the cardio. Great choice Elle!

Have an awesome long weekend you crazy sexy Ontarians!!:D:D:D

I plan on doing them though, do a cheat on the way up and work on the negatives

Buba, thank you! I am totally going to try that!

Elle, thank you! I hope soon you get inspired by your own workouts and how good you feel after them. You have inspired me to bring Namaste back into my rotation.

Twinkle, it sounds like you are really paying attention to your body and giving it the rest it needs. That's part of being fit too - great job! Enjoy STS - I have just been dabbling with it and don't plan to start it until at least September unless I just can't keep my hands off of it!

Stebby - I used to skate when I was a kid, but never learned how to stop or go backward. Let's just say that I only ever skated on a public rink where there were sidewalls to run into so I could stop!

From my blog for today's workout (just some of the entry):
Today I did CLX Burn Intervals again. Now, the official CLX rotation calls for only doing this once a week, and I did it this past Tuesday, but I really like this workout (it's my favourite in the series, which really surprised me), and as CLX isn't really about gaining muscle so much as burning fat, I just decided not to worry about muscle recovery and go for it as a cardio workout. I then did some yoga. I have decided to throw in more stretching and yoga into the rotation - my body seems to really need it and I need to loosen up my IT band to ease up pressure on my knee as I ramp up cardio. It will give me a longer workout, but not much longer and I think it will be worth it.

Enjoy Family Day, ladies!

Last edited:
Hi all,

This morning I did the shorter Cardio premix of Drill Max, and the Pilates based segment of STS Abs. Looking forward to starting my STS tomorrow with Disc #1!!!

Elle - My daughter has been taking skating lessons at Seneca College for 3 terms now, on a recommendation from a colleague of mine. I just happened to notice in her brochure that they offered a single skating class for adults too. So I signed up. I absolutely love it!

I am really hoping I can get my eating under control and stop eating crap. If I don't I'm not going to see the results I want from STS. I went grocery shopping today and stocked up on healthy stuff - lots of veggies, eggs, various varieties of beans & whole grains. OK, I'm stoked.

Morningstar - am I understanding correctly - you are planning to do both STS and P90X? Together? One after the other? You must be so fit - just reading about your workouts has me in awe. Are you enjoying CLX?

I am planning on doing CLX, then STS, then CLX again, then STS. I might throw in a 30 day shred in there too, somewhere.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.