(((Chinups and all that Jazz!!)))

fit_fairy

Cathlete
Yesterday I had a session with Katie. Good session. I am noticing slow changes in my body- more mobility. Esp my lower body. She is working with me on some corrective strategies and it's working. I hope to some day return to heavier lower body workouts :)

Today was P90X Legs and Back. I guess I did a no-no because I worked the same body part two days in a row :rolleyes: None of it was heavy work, so I think I'll be ok :cool: I did mostly chinups, but did try some pullups and sucked at them lol. I haven't done pullups for a long, long time :eek: I did around 30 chinups and about 5 pullups or so.

Hey Catherine~

I don't mean to hijack your "chinners" thread but just wanted to say HI. I miss you (and Robin) over on the Peep check in. Glad to see your sessions with Katie are paying off. I haven't had a session with Andrea for a couple weeks but was hoping to take in one of her classes. I know the joint mobility stuff is important but it seemed like we spent almost the whole time on that so I only learned swings, cleans, presses, and TGU. I was hoping to get to snatches and windmills since I have 3 new AOS dvds to play with. Maybe I'll ask for one more session and insist that we work on these moves.

Way to go on the chin-ups! WOW! I stopped doing them when I ended my P90X rotation...big mistake! I tried a few the other day and it was like when I first started:confused: I have a hard time forcing myself to do them unless they are in a program I'm doing (like P90X). Maybe STS will get me motivated to work on them again;)

JJ

Hey JJ!! I am glad you hijacked the thread :) I am not around on Cathe as much as I used to be. But I do keep up the chinup check-in. It's been going several years. It's down to just me and Linda now and I hope she sticks with me ;)

In my kb sessions we haven't worked on snatches much. She had me doing them one week. We haven't even talked about windmills. I still stink at doing TGUs.

I refused to stop doing chinups after P90X and I am glad I didn't. I don't do pullups as much as I should though:eek: Lately I've only been chinning once a week and I was chinning or pulling three times a week. That's when my numbers were at their best. It's so hard to fit it all in LOL!!

You should join in here. Just commit to doing some chins now and then and you'll fit in fine :cool:

Planning upper body and some cardio this evening. I've had a death in the family (older cousins husband-they are more like a very close aunt and uncle to me). Don't know when the funeral will be:( Stinks for this to happen around the holidays. I feel so bad for my cousin :(:(

Catherine-sorry to hear this. Just letting you know I am thinking of you.

Joanne

P.S. I haven't been working on my chins as much as I use to and I sure can tell. I almost couldn't pull myself up yesterday.

Catherine~ I'm sorry to hear about your cousin's husband. You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

I decided after we posted yesterday that I would try a couple of chin-ups. I can still do a few BUT not consecutively. I'm going to force myself to do them (and pull-ups) after my kettlebell workouts. BTW, I did AOS Providence this morning and tacked on a few TGU's afterward. You're gonna love it!

JJ

JJ, I got a chuckle out of your post. Why? Because I always tell myself I'm gonna do some pullups after a kb w/o and afterwards I am like-who am I kidding that's not gonna happen :rolleyes::D Glad you like Providence. I guess I'll have to wait till Christmas to get mine. Even though I know he got it for me, he won't give it to me :confused:

**Looks around for Linda** HEY LINDA!!!!!

I did upper body followed by All Step. (skipped back because I did chins yesterday)

Bench
85# --3 sets of 8(up 5 pounds)
OHP
12kg kb-- 3 sets of 8 (same as last week)
Skull Crushers
20#--9/8/8 (one more rep first set)
Concentration Curls
26.25# 3 sets of 8 (up 1.25 pounds)

That's it. Now I am starving!!!!

Hey, Catherine, I am not ignoring you. Well not on purpose anyway:p! I am just super busy trying to pull everything together for Christmas. We had our church show last night, so now that's over I need to catch up with everything else.

I did work out this morning, hopefully I can stop by tomorrow and post what I did! I have cardio on tap for tomorrow!

Hey, Catherine, I am not ignoring you. Well not on purpose anyway:p! I am just super busy trying to pull everything together for Christmas. We had our church show last night, so now that's over I need to catch up with everything else.

I did work out this morning, hopefully I can stop by tomorrow and post what I did! I have cardio on tap for tomorrow!

I figured you were busy and not ignoring me :D

Okay, gifts for the teachers were made last night and shipped off with the kids this morning. Then in a little bit I will be off to DS's school for his party then off to pick up DD from her school and then some final pre-holiday grocery shopping. Then it's home to finally do the wrapping which I think is all that is left. Tough part is the kids are always here. So theirs will have to wait.

I am not exactly sure how I managed this but I lost another pound which is pretty impressive considering I am right at the end of TTOM. My eating has been complete crap, but I think the only thing I have managed to do right is I am not eating the junk along with all my meals but rather eating the junk instead of real food.:p

Okay this morning I did Imax 2, I was completely exhausted and didn't want to do anything so I had to choose between challenging my mind with choreography or my body with intervals , so I chose to torture my body and let my mind continue to sleep.:p

Here is yesterday's workout:

Superset A
Bulgarian Split Squat
8/8/8 - 25's
Spiderman Pushups
8/8/8 ***just wasn't feeling up to pushups so I reduced the reps from sets of 10 to 8***

Superset B
Inverted Rows
12/12/12
One legged dead lift
12/12/12 - 12's ***started with 15's but my legs were just tired so I dropped back to 12's and I still got DOMS***

Superset C
SB Roll Outs
10/10/10
SB Mountain Climbers
10/10/10 per side
Straight arm Side Plank
20 sec hold x 3

Then interval cardio at 30/90 ration for six rounds using Amy's ASC 1 powerups.

I find it weird that you can do the same workout repeatedly and some times you end up with DOMS and other times nothing.:confused: I have yet to figure out what is happening differently from each workout.

Linda, I love IMAX2 for that very reason. It's tough, but not complex. Good job on your workouts!!

I was planning cardio this evening, but have a headache. So today will be my rest day. I've been previewing Newport :eek: I am planning to do Lauren's kb w/o tomorrow. Then I will do one of Anthony's Friday. I have to wait till Christmas to get Newport from DH (he's so strict):rolleyes:

JJ did you say you got Providence and Newport???

Oh, I forgot. I got a nice gift from the staff at work. A gift certificate for a 1 hr massage and a bottle of wine :)

Just finished Newport :confused: Let's just say I sucked :( Anthony moves very quickly and I need to get the moves down and pace myself. My butt is a little sore, so I must have done something right :rolleyes: I really need to do some pullups,...............................

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas Eve!!

JJ did you say you got Providence and Newport???

Yes...I got Providence, Newport and KBWY-Empire State:eek: I couldn't resist the 12 days of Xmas deals! I've only previewed Newport but it looks tough! He does go much faster and I can't imagine doing that TGU & windmill section or the 5 minute snatch bonus:confused: BTW, that is a very nice gift you got from the staff at work.

Linda....Thanks for the welcome!

Merry Christmas!

JJ

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas! Mine was very nice, although di by me laundry room cabinets!:confused: But he also got me a foan roller which I am excited about.

I also ordered Providence & Newport and when the first envelope arrived I gave it to my Mom to give to me for Christmas without opening it. Well, she gave it to me yesterday and it was Newport. So now I have no idea where Providence is and it should have come first because I ordered it first.:confused::( I've emailed AOS and am now waiting for a response.

Today, I was in no mood to do the TT, but I did need to workout and get my eating back in order, so I did LIC adding the Blast Only Challenge on twice, total workout was 1:11. Yesterday I did nothing!:D:D:p:p.

And here is what I did Christmas Eve Morning, again didn't feel like working out so didn't go all out.

Superset A
DB Split Squat
8/8/8 - 30's ***normally do 35's***
T-Pushup
10/8/8 per side ***supose to be 10/10/10****

Superset B
Chin ups w/ knee raise
6/6/5
Reaching Lunge
10/10/10 - 10's

Superset C
SB Jackknife
12/12/12 ***suppose 15/15/15 but I always want to quit at 12, so today I let myself***
X-Body Mountain Climber
10 /10/10 per side
Side Plank w/ Leg Raise
10/10/10 per side

Then cardio at 60/60 ratio using Bootcamp.

Well, my plan worked great. Yesterday, like I said I had no mental or physical energy for resistance training so I just did cardio. I got a great night sleep last night and felt totally up to tackling the final TT workout of this phase.

And here's how it went:

Superset A
Step Ups
8/8/8 - 30's
Grasshopper Pushups
8/8/8 per side

Superset B
Renegade Rows
8/8/8 - 30's
SB Leg Curls
20/20/20
SB X-Body Mountain Climbers
9/8/8 per side

Superset C
Hanging Knee Raises
8/8/8
SB Rotational Jackknife
8/8/8 per side
SB Plank
30 sec. hold x 3

Then interval cardio at 30/90 ratio for 6 rounds using power ups from Amy's ASC 1.

Might take the kids roller skating later.:D

Hey ladies!! It has just been crazy. First the holiday and then on to the funeral home for Friday and today :( I am glad it is all over.

I did well to get in a w/o Christmas day and yesterday. Today was hopeless though,.... Thursday I did DM cardio and repeated round 1 of Newport. Friday I did Providence and LOVED it!!! I had intended on getting up early today and doing IMAX 2 before heading out for the funeral. But my back was in spasm :confused: No idea why. So I will resume tomorrow if all is well with P90X L&B and maybe some cardio. But for sure some stretching!!!

Linda, good job on your workouts!! I hope Santa was good to you!!

JJ, how are the bells going? LOL!!! I almost made it through the snatch test at the end of Providence yesterday :eek: I need some help with things like overhead squats and lunges. I just can not seem to do them :eek: I just modify and do them in the rack position.

Catherine~

Nice to "see" you;) I was wondering how you were doing. Isn't Providence great! Someone posted in OD that they were disappointed with it because it was too easy:confused: NOT if you use the right size KB! I use my 12kg for most things and I'm sweating & breathing hard. I had a hard time with those overhead squats too. I came across a video by Anthony (while searching for form tips on snatches) where he talked about how this move is difficult for many people. He showed ways to work up to the squats by going down at a slight angle (pushing your hip out) rather than straight down. It was easier so I'm hoping in time I can get this down without modifying.

I had everyone here for Christmas and my nephews were impressed with my ONE chinup while they proceeded to do about a billion. Then a few had to do some one handed and I just about slapped them across the head!:confused: Show offs! Sometimes I feel like I work my @ss off but never get to where I want to be:(

Linda~ Your workouts look quite impressive. Do you follow a particular program or create your own?

JJ

JJ, I agree Providence was plenty hard with my 12kg bell. I used the 8 kg for some moves and my 16kg for the rows (which became quite difficult at the end :confused:) I was dripping wet!! I have seen the over head squat video. I have squatting issues right now anyway LOL!! Working on correcting some bad habits that I developed over the years so that I can squat correctly. So for now I will stick with a modification (rack postition) for these.

About your nephews, keep in mind how much younger than you they are AND that they are males. There are very few women that can say they can do a pullup or chinup!! So be proud of yourself!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.