Chinup Check In ...04/27

melodygirl

Cathlete
Ok chinnie gals, where are you? Everyone else is in the new checkin forum so I thought I'd start us here.

I'm doing the negatives today with my BSB workout.

Have a beautiful day.:)

Hey Melody! Catherine's in AZ and Briee's been AWOL (I'm sure she's just got a lot on her plate with all the renovating, homeschooling, etc). Joanne will probably check in later and hopefully X will bring us some goodies. HB will probably report she's done 8000 or something.

I'm still holding off on UB work except bi's and tri's. I just did 1/2 Low Max followed by KM Leg Conditioning Drills and will do KPC abs after I pick up my daughter.

Hope you have a beautiful day too! Thanks for starting our first offical "Check-Ins and Challenges" check-in.:)

Hey ladies, I'm in AZ!! Did a hike up Sqaw peak this am. Got DH up at 5:00 am!!!! He has a friend who lives out here and she showed us the way. We went 2/3 way up at a pretty good pace. Now I am a big fraidy cat when it comes to heights x( x( We stopped and took a rest and I got all askeerd and decided it was time to go back down. I did'nt freak or anything, just was ready to go down. We forgot to stretch afterwards so I am looking forward to tomorrow DOMS. Maybe will try to fit in Stretch X tonight. Of course I brought my videos with me!!! Conference starts tomorrow so we have today to play. The gym has no chinup bar:(

Oh also in the new book that I am reading, Ross recommends not training with chinups to failure. He recommends doing lots of negatives. But he says not to actually go to failure. Go a couple of reps short of failure and do several sets of those. You will make better gains that way. And Melody ( I think it was you who asked this) he also says when training to do a new exercise do it first thing after the warm up. That also makes for better gains.

have a good day!!!

Oh and lets keep this checkin going. please don't let it die!!

Catherine

Hi Melody,

My sister is named Melody also.

I'm new to chinups. My husband bought me a long awaited chinup bar. How do you do these? I start off thinking I can do them, but instead, I can't budge. Any help in getting started would be grateful. I'm determined to acclomplish these buggers, with help from all your expertise check ins.

Thank you so much in advance,

Janie

"Whoo Hoo"
-Cathe Friedrich-

Don't go to failure, huh? I was thinking about how not to injure myself again when I get back into things and thought I'd probably do fewer reps than I can (at least to start). I'm glad to hear a knowledgeable person confirm my thoughts.

Sounds like you're having a fun day, Catherine! Since there's no chin-up bar at the gym, it'll be interesting to see if you'll be able to do more than 3 when you get back since you'll have taken a longer than usual rest.

This check-in won't die, not if I can help it! I read in OD that you've possibly gotten us a new recruit. Good work!

And speaking of evangelism, two of my friends are putting chin-up bars in their homes. I'm-a spreadin' the word, sisters!

I did some this morning, and want to sneak in them when I get off this afternoon. I'm still trying to do them every other day.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

Hi Janie! I referred to you in my post above to Catherine about chin-up evangelism.:p So glad you've decided to join us!

I can't do one, but I've set a goal to do one by my next birthday (December). I'm a classic ecto so have trouble gaining upper body strength and can hardly budge from a dead hang either.

About a month ago, Briee posted about a method she read in M&F Hers, doing negative reps as a way to work yourself up to a chin-up from a dead hang: http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?..._id=279747&mesg_id=279747&listing_type=search. Since her post, several of us with a range of chin-up abilities have been incorporating this method and cheering one another on. It's been very motivating!

Anyway, do a search for our previous check-ins if you want additional info (warning: most digress into silliness).

One more thing: you might want to take Catherine's advice above about not going to absolute failure. It's real easy to injure yourself with these which will obviously halt any progress you will have made. That's what happened to me even though I've really been trying to be careful.

All of you are awesome!

I love the sillyness, and the expertise. Melody, I've checked out the links you gave me on the other thread, and making copies of it for me to try. Soooooosan, I will take your advice as well. And anyone elses for that matter. Thank You All So Much.

Keep me posted as I will keep you all posted as well,

Janie
"Whoo Hoo"
-Cathe Friedrich-

And Melody ( I think it was you who asked this) he also says when training to do a new exercise do it first thing after the warm up. That also makes for better gains.

Thanks for posting the above Catherine. Finally, I'm doing something right!

Hey Janie, sister named Melody huh, how cool. I don't meet or hear of a lot of "us".

BTW, let me officially welcome you here in the checkin.

I found you guys!

I did CTX upper body yesterday (that one always makes me real sore the next day). I weaved in working on the chin ups. I tried doing one from a dead hang-still seems so impossible.

Catherine-Sounds like you are having a great time in AZ. Thanks for the chin up tips!

Joanne

Hi again!:)

I did GS BSB today but after warm-up BEFORE the weight w/o I did chin up negatives as follows: 1 set of 10 down ct, 1 set of 8 down ct, and 1 set of 6 down ct. I'm following Catherine's new-found advice not to go to failure. Trust me I'm feeling the few I did.

Hope all is well with everyone, especially Briee who hasn't been around.

Well, gee, thanks!

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

No, just 30 or so accumulated total for the day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.