Chinning for the fun of it,... 12/27/06

fit_fairy

Cathlete
Hellllloooooo Chinstas!!!!! How's everyone's post holiday week going? Thank goodness I am off till Jan 2nd :)

It's been an odd week. Woke up Christmas Eve with bad back pain. Actually didn't exactly wake up that way-it was that way all night :( I still don't know what I did. So I was on my back all day. Christmas Day it was better, but still didn't workout. This pain was very different than my normal sciatica that I get periodically.

Today I did Pyramid Bonus Combo with chinups between sets. Did 20 chins in sets of 3s,2s, and 1s. Mentally I am not into chinning right now and it is reflecting in my numbers. I am continuing with them cause I don't want to lose the ability. Worked way to hard to do them. So for now I must be content to do small sets and eventually I will try to start increasing again- when I find the fun again!!!

Briee, I hope you are feeling better.

Did everyone get what they wanted for Christmas????

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

>Did everyone get what they wanted for Christmas????

Hmmmm...I got the flu for Christmas - actually I even got it early and then well beyondx( x( x( x( . Thanks for all the well wishes. Joanne...I was living on ginger/digestive tea and I could hardly drink that. I did supersets this morning and by the last set B I couldn't go on. All my muscles were quivering - really weird. I think I'll be doing small workouts until I get over this completely. I'm exhausted, but definitely getting better now!!!

Catherine...you are doing great on the chins. I think the goal is to mix them in whenever you can. Don't worry about getting more reps. Just keep doing them when you think of it and you will never loose it!! I think I can do like 1/2 a chin right now.

Melody...I've got to get that email out. Suffice it to say that it involves, my son, the USPS, the FBI, CIA, investigative unit of Madison's police dept, and our local chief of police, in one of the most innocent of offenses - all this from my most sweet son, who still is, but just made a bad decision stemming from his sense of humor (is he MY son or what). The ER is now old stuff for us - we've moved on.

Hope everyone had a very merry Christmas. We have so much to be thankful for and despite the sickness - it was a beautiful day!

Briee

Catherine-My mouth still drops when I read all those chins that you can do-GREAT JOB!

Briee-Glad you are starting to feel better. Isn't this winter just great-I love this mild weather and no snow. Although, did you get hit with that big storm about a month ago?

Still have a weird soreness in my tricep area. Doesn't hurt when I do dips. Only certain exercises bother it and chins are one of them.

Joanne

Briee, OK you've peaked my curiosity about your DS, come on give up the story to us all!!! Take it easy on yourself as you recover from the bug you've had!!!

Joanne, is it both your triceps or just one?? I'd just stick with what doesn't hurt.

Waving hi to everyone in chinup land!!

Catherine

Hey Catherine!! I just emailed Melody, but I'll give ya the greatly shortened version. ds is going on a mission trip to Mexico in 4 days and sent letter to best friend regarding safety tips in Mexico and packing list. He decided it might be fun to write all kinds of funny messages on the letter, one of which was "to the postman, this is not a bomb, not hazardous waste, not perishable". You know...all those questions they ask when you mail a package. I honestly thought it was pretty funny, but he used electrical tape to seal it, no return address (he forgot), etc. Now...I know my ds - extremely silly at times, but the most nonthreatening of all boys his age that I can think of. Well...the USPS does NOT know my son, but now they do, and so do all those other departments of the US government with important acronyms. And the Chief of Police has now visited our home for the first and hopefully last time and whacked my ds with the letter saying "Don't ever do this again!" (he did this with a smile - kind of). The letter has been confiscated (after being quaranteened), they did not have to send the FBI "whatever it's called" team to open it, as they got in touch with us, but it is now the property of the US government and I don't think I'll ever get my postage refunded (ha ha). CHILDREN - don't they keep life interesting?!!!!

Briee

Joanne...meant to add. Yes the weather is nice....BUT I WANT SNOW!. We always have a New Years Eve party at a camp a few miles from us and they have this great tubing hill with really fast chutes. BUT there is NO snow. What will we do???? I want SNOW.

Briee (but the mild weather has been great for our builders...they are installing a deck with stairs from our upper deck - IN DECEMBER!! Amazing.)

Briee, OMG!!! Your son,... the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree they say LOL!!! It's amazing (and sad really)how in this day and age something so simple(meant to be funny) can turn into a National Security issue!!! By sad I mean just sad that we have to resort to that to feel safe :(.

It is unseasonable warm here to. I am enjoying it. Wouldn't mind some snow- just keep the cold cold away!!!

Well, I have another challenge in my workout life. I have a Morton's Neuroma. An inflammed nerve between the 3rd and 4rth toes of my foot. I really think it's been brought on by stepping. I saw a pediatrist last month and she started me on Voltaren an anti-inflam and put inserts in my shoes. So I ask if I should curtail my activities. She says no. Well with all the traveling I did this past month activities were curtailed some. Followed up yesterday and it's some better but not gone. Mind you it doesn't bother me all the time, mostly just when I do step. It hurts so bad about 30-40 mins into the routine that I want to stop (but of course I don't). Anyway got a cortisone injection. Again I ask should I curtail my activity. Again she said no??????? Well my common since tells me that this inflammed nerve needs rest and so does all the literature I have read!!! So after a long winded story, I am taking at least a week off stepping. Just trying to figure out if I can to something low impact like Kenpo X for cardio. I really need some cardio with all the over indulging uh hum I've been doing. Any suggestions?? I also plan to take this opportunity to add back yoga.

Sorry so long winded, just very frustrating!!
Catherine

Oh Catherine....I'm so sorry! You've had a tough time this past year. But alas....you can still do chins!:7 :7 :7and eat donuts.

I do hope you are feeling better soon and it seems that rest would be in order. My ankle twist is STILL bothering me almost as much as ever....never seems to go away. My dh says I have to REST it, but I never seem to be able to get rest(never mind working out)...its FAMILY and other things that keep rest from happening.

I did drill max this morning, but after the 4th interval..I switched to heavy squats. I was TIRED. I'm going to continue doing what I "can" do and hopefully will get back to normal soon. I keep eyeing the chin bar...hmmm maybe a few today.

I was painting in my moms side of the house this morning and she was watching "the price is right" (do all older adults do this? seems its the thing to do when you reach 80:7 ). A few minutes into it they announce that the prize is a years supply of glazed donuts....my ears perked up...what an evil wonderful prize!!!...I'd end up weighing 300 pounds;-) .

Briee

Hey Catherine, Briee and Joanne!

Joanne, my jaw drops at all the chins these women can do, too!

Briee, you have quite a family! I agree with Catherine that it's a sad commentary on the current state of things that this got turned into such a big deal. On a different note, I'm glad you're feeling better. Supersets is a great workout to get back into things. I've been doing it twice a week or so for the past 2 weeks because I don't think I'd be working out otherwise. I'm slowly getting back into my normal routine, though, with a bit more cardio and some yoga here and there. Next week I'm starting a new rotation, probably starting with the Pyramids (maybe subbing Butts & Gutts for PLB) and including Drill Max or another circuit, and then moving on to S & H a couple weeks later.

Catherine, I'm so sorry about your new ailment. Yuk, yuk, yuk! I know how frustrated you must be.

Briee, your New Year's Eve party sounds like a blast! I'm sure you'll find a way to have fun even without snow. What's everyone else doing? We're going to my boss's house, who is one of the funnest, nicest people I know. (I mentioned her in a previos post about how she's one of the people I know who, along with Briee, applies to the quote, "You don't remember people for what they do, but rather for the way they make you feel.") Her parties are always full of wild group games that get you laughing so hard your sides ache. We're really looking forward to it. On New Year's Day, we're doing a Polar Bear Plunge to benefit the Y. I'm the weeniest of the weenies when it comes to cold water, so wish me luck! I'm glad it's been so unseasonably warm.:)

I think I want to go to YOUR new years eve party Soosan (your comments are so sweet)!! We're going to have to find some fun games as snow does not seem likely. WHOAaaaaaa...A POLAR PLUNGE. Hmmmmmm....I'll pray for you. I do believe you are the BEST fund raiser person Soosan without a doubt!!!!! I love water...but I don't know if you could pay me enough...and you're not even getting paid! You will get the top unweenie of the year award here at the forums Soosan. I'd lean toward a dry suit over a fullbody wetsuit - just a suggestion. Is that cheating? Who cares...cheat!

Briee

Maybe I would take a dip in a hot tub as a fund raiser, with a nice glass of wine or champagne LOL!!! You guys sound like you have fun things planned for NYE. We are quit simple folk and spend a quiet evening at home. OK the real story is my DH is a home body and that's ok, but truth be known I wouldn't mind doing something. But I'd rather spend it home with him than be somewhere without him.

I agree with you Briee, Soooooooooooosan is no weanie!!!

Catherine

>Hey Catherine!! I just emailed Melody, but I'll give ya the
>greatly shortened version. ds is going on a mission trip to
>Mexico in 4 days and sent letter to best friend regarding
>safety tips in Mexico and packing list. He decided it might
>be fun to write all kinds of funny messages on the letter, one
>of which was "to the postman, this is not a bomb, not
>hazardous waste, not perishable". You know...all those
>questions they ask when you mail a package. I honestly
>thought it was pretty funny, but he used electrical tape to
>seal it, no return address (he forgot), etc. Now...I know my
>ds - extremely silly at times, but the most nonthreatening of
>all boys his age that I can think of. Well...the USPS does
>NOT know my son, but now they do, and so do all those other
>departments of the US government with important acronyms. And
>the Chief of Police has now visited our home for the first and
>hopefully last time and whacked my ds with the letter saying
>"Don't ever do this again!" (he did this with a smile - kind
>of). The letter has been confiscated (after being
>quaranteened), they did not have to send the FBI "whatever
>it's called" team to open it, as they got in touch with us,
>but it is now the property of the US government and I don't
>think I'll ever get my postage refunded (ha ha). CHILDREN -
>don't they keep life interesting?!!!!
>
>Briee

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

Briee, now mind you, I would not be laughing had this had an unfortunate ending, but since the Chief of Police was able to kind of smile, I think a good belly laugh is in order.:7

Sooooooooooooosan,

I just wanted to let you know, in front of Briee, that I bought a little yoga kit the other day. It came with a sticky mat, a brick, a strap, and Rodney Yee's AM Yoga. I've tried it once so far--not bad, not bad. I think titles with AM or PM are the only ones of interest to me at this point. And I don't like anything that bends you backwards--lol!

ETA Happy New Year, you crazy chinsters!

To Michele.....(briee covers ears and eyes..."I can't heeeeear youuuuuuuu".

And I am willing to overlook this little indescretion as you posted such beautiful donut pictures in the past:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :p .

One more thing miss Michele....do you know that you have only been a member for a little more than a year and you have over 6000 posts. Granted...many of these have been donut posts:p :p :p , but there have been quite a few EXCESSIVE posts regarding yoga:p :p :p . (smiley guy ROTFLOL while in crane pose - not an easy thing mind you).

Briee (keep on posting Michele...I would miss you dearly if you ever went MIA;) ;) ;) ) Happy New Year to you too!!

Oh I'm a weenie all right. As I was taking a shower this morning, the cold faucet was leaking a bit of freezing cold water on my feet (something new to fix!) and I thought, "this is what the water's going to feel like on my entire body on New Year's Day." None of us is wearing a wet suit because that WOULD be cheating. As a matter of fact, I'm going to wear a bikini, 45 years old or not. I'll just keep repeating Cathe's mantra from Bootcamp: "You can do anything for a minute. You can do anything for a minute. You can do anything for a minute." And I'll gladly accept the unweenie of the forums award if I survive since I've been a push-up and chin-up weenie for so long. It will be a nice change of pace.:)

Catherine, I'm sure you and DH will enjoy a quiet evening at home together. You might want to start soliciting sponsors for your hot tub dip, though - New Year's Day is fast approaching.

Michele, Michele, Michele, you are a very wise woman and you are going to love yoga once you get into it. How do you like Rodney so far?

Oh, how I've missed you donut nuts. The NYE celebrations sound fun and interesting. We are now speaking "donutian"? Kewl.

I'm still LOL and dazed by Briee's email. I can only think "I still have the teen years with the 3 remaining at home DS to look forward".

What are chins?:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.