Chin-up check-in Aug 15

honeybunch1

Cathlete
Can we have a chin-up check-in in which we report that we really do chins??????!!!!! Just a little nudge, a gentle little push.

Today I did some before work, and will do inverted rows later, and more chins when I get home.

C'mon, you guys, get chinning!

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

We report 'em when we do 'em, HB! You just have to sift through all the chatter to find the actual reports.:p And, I'm pleased to report, I did two sets of 8 assisted reps at the Y before my meetings this morning. For the first set I used 35 lbs for the first 5 reps then had to switch to 40 for the last three. The second set I started at 40 lbs, went to failure by the 5th rep again and finished the last 3 reps using 45 lbs. Not great, but it's a way to do them to failure without injuring myself. I looked extra cute in my meeting clothes and barefeet when I did them too.:p I also usually warm up in the back where everybody's desks are so I don't look too much like a dork warming up in my dress clothes in the weight room. I don't care how dorky I look in front of my co-workers, but I should maintain some semblance of dignity in front of all the Y members I solicit money from throughout the year, don't you think?

I should add I never would have done them at all if it weren't for this check-in. The radio interview went very well (see Monday's thread if you missed it). I'll do my total body later this afternoon.

Sooooosan-Great job on those chins. Also, great job on your interview with the radio. I, at 47, still have a hard time doing any kind of interviews or public speaking. And, it also sounds like you are a singer. I can't hold a tune at all. Also, that could of been me writing about Kick Max. I feel the same way exept I hardly do the leg drills. I like them, I just don't do them as often as I should.

HB-thanks for keeping us motivated. Since I blew the chins off yesterday, I'm going to get to them today.

Joanne

>Can we have a chin-up check-in in which we report that we
>really do chins??????!!!!! Just a little nudge, a gentle
>little push.
>

Man, once a drill seargent always a drill seargent!! LOL!! We love ya HB!!

I will be doing chins on Thurs (I think??) Today was chest shoulders and triceps. I was able to improve on most of my numbers. See Briee, there I go again obsessing. But the good news is I have worked out for 5 days no misses!!!!

Soooooooooooosan, WTG on those assisted chins. Joanne, you don't want HB to come to your house do ya. You'd better get on it!!!

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

Who's going to come to MY house??? Believe me, I need a DS some days, too! I need a nudge on my walking lunges of which I've been slacking horribly!

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Hey, can I come over here? I finally am able to do 3 in a row!! This is after spending over ten years working out and seeing zilch increase in strength. After a year and a half of Cathe...voila :) Working the negatives ain't sissy work, I tell ya :p You guys rule.

“In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better.” --Ellen Degeneres

Boybert, 3 in a row what? Chin-ups from a dead hang or negatives?

(I just need to check whether or not I'm speaking to you.:p )

LOL! yeah 3 from a dead hang :) Took me forever and a day to work up to that though, so don't be too impressed ;P

Donuts. mmmmmm. Every Saturday is donut day in this house. Keeps us sane the rest of the week. oh yeahhhhh....

“In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better.” --Ellen Degeneres

Yes, we ARE impressed! You stuck to it and it worked! Pull-ups are hard no matter how long it takes you to do them.

I'm just crawling out from under my step bench to say that I think I need HB to move in with me for a month...or 2.

When WILL Melody be back? I miss her constant nagging at me to do my cardio.

Debbie, wow! I had no idea you could do chins! Watch out for Briee--she steals donuts when people aren't looking;) :eek:

I think I might have my DH post in your thread. He has a lot in common with youse guys. He's fluent in German and he's in pediatrics.

Okay, I'm going back under my step bench.

Michelle, you know you want to join us!!! We are much more fun than doing cardio LOL!! :+ :+

Oh yeah Boybert forgot to warn you about Soooooooooooosan. She isn't speaking to anyone who can actually do chins!! ;-)

Catherine

*guarding donut stash and running from Sooooooooosan*

yeah micheleemoo, I don't talk about what I do all that often...dunno why. I guess part of me feels like it is bragging and I never want to come across like that.

I amazed myself b/c for years and years I couldn't figure out why I couldn't even budge from a dead hang....well, pissing around with maybe an hour total weights a week and not really concentrating on strength gains or a focus did it. I am so utterly amazed how much I underestimated the power of weight lifting. I am now 20lbs less prePG and in the most fit shape of my life :)

Three, Boybert? THREE??? Where are Joanne and Melody when I need them? Oh yeah, Janie can't do any either. And I think Kathryn's reps are touch and go. But THREE???? Okay, I want details of your typical routine, how long it took you to get to one and what you specifically did to get there. I would also like to know your bodytype and age. I'll then unfortunately have to stop speaking to you.:p

Michele, how is it that your DH is fluent in German? Can he do a Klimmzug? If he can, then tell him that ich nicht mit ihm sprechen werde.

Today I did 1/2 Imax 3 followed by 1/2 Yoga X. Tomorrow's power yoga day again - yippee!

Catherine, let me know when you get the new Eoin and what you think of it. I read the description and it sounded good, but I wonder if it's as challenging as his other two.

Briee, where you be?

Sooooooooooooosan,

I'm fairly certain that my DH cannot do a pull-up (I'm assuming that's what a Klimmzug is--lol), so you're cleared to speak to him...or he's cleared to speak to you.

He took German in college and has been to Germany several times. He went to Marburgh University for 1 semester and worked at a lodge in the Bavarian Alps for a summer. We had the opportunity to stay at that same lodge on our 14th anniversary:+ . He has some professional colleagues in Germany and was recently invited to speak at a meeting. They were stunned when he delivered his talk in German. They didn't realize he spoke the language and had lined up an interpreter. I think that was the highlight of his career. He loves to speak German and is always look for someone to talk to.

OK, HB wanted us to post about doing chins so I just did a couple. LOL!! I am taking a rest day today. Sort of unplanned which means chins are on for Friday. I keep getting further and further behind on this rotation. Pretty soon I'll catch up with myself LOL!!

Sooooooooooooosan, no fair speaking in German!! Anyway I'll let yo know about Eoin. If it's not too intense it's probably just what I need. You know I am a yoga baby!!!

Yeah, where the heck is Briee?

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

LOL Soooooosan! I better get on this before you stop talking :p Let's see...my routine is an unroutine really since I have a toddler, but one of my biggest mantras is to keep changing things up to keep your body guessing. I typically do at least one of each of the following in the week: HIIT, spin, steady state cardio, sports circuit training.

Lifting I generally do 2 full body days, 1 circuit, and a HEAVY lifting day. You've got to add the heavy lifting in there to really work on the strength. You will not turn into Ahhhhnold, I promise ;) I also try to do at least 2 days of weighted abs. Recently I've added barbell rollouts to my routine. When your core is strong, everything is stronger!

Plus, practice really does make perfect. I just keep at it. For a while I could only do 1, then moved to 2, and well, you get the idea. Umm what else? I'm 30, I'm a muscular build and have been asked several times if I am an athlete (which always suprises me). I'm 20 lbs less PrePG and in the best shape of my life. All these gains from a year and a half of Cathe! Whooot! Is that good Ms. Sooooooosan? :p

Oh yeah, on a good, strong day I can do the 3...so not always. Usually 2 at least though. Depends on how tired I am & when I get over to the bar to try it out. Ha. I recommend starting with them when you are fresh though. Hard to bang em out when you are already fatigued.

Michelle, that's cool about your husband's presentation. I bet the audience was very impressed. My parents are from Germany, so although I didn't really speak much German growing up, I was surrounded by it and had a huge head start when I began to study it. I went there several times as a child and spent my junior year in Heidelberg. I used to be a high school German teacher until I had my first child 14 years ago. I now teach it voluntarily in my kids' classes (just very basic stuff once a week) and try to read novels once in a while. Oh, and of course Cathe and I speak it together daily when I give her the fitness and business tips she's become so dependent on from me.:p

Boybert, what do you do for your heavy lifting day? Believe me, I'm not worried about bulking up. I'd love some more muscle. There's no chance of me turning into Ahhnold no matter how heavy I lift.

Soosan, I either use the machines at the gym (in which case I can go really heavy...like 100 lb seated row w/ feet against platform) or I do GS and heavy up that way.

I just did Yoga X. I usually only do the second half after my cardio, but I did the whole thing today. I like it more and more every time I do it. I think the pace is perfect, the poses are held for a long time but not too long, the sequencing is great, his cuing is very useful, and it's nice and challenging. At 90 min, it is long, but I've been doing longer power yoga sessions lately anyway.

Boybert and Michelle, do you guys do yoga?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.