Cheetahs Wednesday 8/23

Hi !

The PT assessment was helpful and thourogh yesterday. The PT wanted to make sure there were no back issues involved so he did a hip and back evaluation. He gave me a series of stretches to do and floor leg exercises 3 times per week .

The stretches were for IB band and hip and quad; he thought my hamstrings were fairly limber which surprised me . And he recommended to keep stretching them as I have been. The stretches are to be done 3 times daily held for 30 seconds each. I am using my flylady timer to be sure.

Today will be a 4.6 mile run, abs and the daily stretching.

I must go back and catch up on yesterdays thread. TTFN

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Hey Cheetahs:) I posted on yesterday's thread late and have pasted it to the bottom of today's as I had some questions about pre-event eating (didn't want it to get lost). I'm finishing my coffee and am going to do LowMax and some abs.

Wendy, hope you and Joey are feeling better!

Judy, isn't it interesting having assessments like the one your PT did? Sure helps us tune back into our bodies. Enjoy your run.

------------------copied from yesterday's thread---------------------

Elaine, I hope you got your workout in and that it went well, endorphins and the satisfaction of having gotten a workout done are such great stress busters! Hope your not feeling so funked out tomorrow

Christine, hope things get resolved to your daughter's satisfaction, our bodies are such strange and wonderful things.....I haven't done MIS in it's entirety in far too long, I like to mish mosh the upper body work with B-Max though.

Thomasina thanks for your kind words Your ride sounds challenging and gorgeously sceneic. You made me think *yummy* twice in your post, once for red wine and twice for Bryan Kest

Laura, sorry your going through a rough time with your Dad. He's blessed to have such a loving and dedicated daughter. Don't let the B.S. get you down Cheetah!

Shelly, hope the groin pull eases off, that's a tough spot to ice,...brrrrrrr

Katie, take it easy with your tender back, hope your rest keeps it at bay.

Our running clinic discussion tonight was about nutrition, the presenter was entertaining, practical and very interesting. I'd love to hear how you racing Cheetahs eat the week before an event (I'm running my first half in Oct.) and more specifically the day before and pre-event. I'm going to a wedding the night before my event and am thinking I'll talk to the bride and request a vegetarian plate. I haven't been to a wedding in ever so long and am a bit disappointed that I won't be able to have more than one glass of wine. Ahh well...small sacrafice

Take Care
Laurie:)

Hi Judy and Laurie.

I was actually going to come back and post for REAL after I got the thread up and running but I went up to check on DS and well...you know how that goes!;)

We are both still under the weather. :-( I think I feel worse than he does though! LOL

Today is weight work...Cathe endurance w/o...which one to start with though? Things that make ya go HMMMMMM! }(

Judy, Glad you got some stretches to do for your hip. Hope they do the trick!

Laurie, Have fun with LowMax!

I ordered the RS/MIC/IMAX dvd and HSTA last night!}( I also re-ordered my preorder. I had ordered and cancelled...dumb, I know so I finally placed the order again.

The past week and a half I had very little luck getting to the gym! I've been there only TWO TIMES! YIKES!:eek: I feel guilty when I can't get there even though it's not like I'm not working out! I'm INSANE! :7 :7 :7

Morning Judy, Laurie and Wendy and all who follow. This morning was PUB. I'm waiting for the sun to come up to decide whether or not I'm going to do a short run. My back is still being a bit tempermental and started cramping during weights. Well, I'm off to throw some stuff into the crockpot for dinner tonight.

Judy - I hope the exercises help your hip.

Laurie - You're half is getting so close. Are you excited?

Wendy - I hope you and DS feel better.

Katie

endorphinejunkie you asked some good questions about pre-race eating. I don't have any answers except that I avoid all alchol the night before. I really don't drink that often but sometimes on the weekends I might have one or two. I also try to make a "pasta" based meal for the family. If I would make clean eating more of a priority I would probably lose the last 13 pounds or so I am carrying around. I am 5'3" and weigh 133ish. My best running weight is 120-122ish so I am close.

Why can't it be summer all year long? I am now having to do condensed workouts to get them in before work. Atleast they are Cathe pre-mixes today I did the shortened version of Cardio & Weights, tommorow a 5-6 mile run.

Those of you that mentioned a PT how much does something like that cost?

Later, Natalie

Hey Natalie.

I think Judy was referring to physical therapy when she spoke about PT. I think you are thinking of personal training. Anywho, personal training is pricey but every gym/trainer is different. My sil is a personal trainer for a women's gym in NJ and they charge like $60.00 per hour for her. The co-ed gym that I belong to (in NJ as well) charges up to $100.00 per hour but I do not know what the cheapest trainer there would cost or what the difference in the training/work out would be.

HTH!:)

Good morning cheetahs

Judy...I hope the stretches the PT showed you will help your hip!

Wendy...checking out future races?....way to go!!!!! Sorry you and Joey are still feelong yukky. How about a SS/PP premix! God job on the order....MIC is a tough cardio workout...

Laurie...I don't really change my eating the week before the event. I will sometimes have Vegan Pizza the night before. One thing I do is try and have a bit more water during the week to make sure my body is fully hydrated before the event.

Natalie...I bet it does feel like summer is too short...alot of time PT's (Physical Therapists) are covered somewhat by insurance. I don't know the actual cost...I try to avoid them...:)...Good job with Cardio & weights...

Mattea...you really make me smile....:)

Katie...hope you back is feeling better today. I have had a few lower back issues before, not many recently.

Laura...so sorry about your Dad's fall. I am also sorry you don't get much family support. I hope your Dad does better in the next few days...

Shelly...a groin pull....yuk! I do hope it goes away soon. So it is just running that hurts it? Thanks for your kind words...I have been doing PLB and S&H every week for a few weeks now. Trying to get some strength back in my legs. I do think the Elliptical helps too..

Christine...the last I heard about my nephew was he had an infection in his lungs, so things are at a standstill right now. I will try and get some more info today..Hope DD's appt goes well...

Elaine...I bet it is tough letting your DD go off to school..I do hope for the best with your DS..as I normally love a quiet house I can see how that could drive you crazy...:)...I hope your crud disappears soon!

Tomasina...71 miles!!!! That is awesome http://www.smileys.ws/smls/sport/00000004.gif[/img] I am sure MR YP would help alot...:)...I was laughing as I figured with the Sharkies they seemed to stick on your teeth awhile...so you actually could enjoy them awhile before you needed another...I am going to try and get ahold of my sister for the address for donations...thanks...

I'll be doing PH Chest & Back, abs and a 5 mile run.

Have a good day...

G'morning! I thought things would be easier to get done w/ the kids in school but it seems like I've still been busy!!

I did an 8 mile run early this AM. Again, dark & lonely running by myself! (well, I had Mikey w/ me at least!) My left achilles tendon was feeling a little tender, I'm taking tomorrow & Friday off from running again. Only a little over 4 weeks til the marathon, I want to be ready!!! My friend Erin went to a chiro for her ITB issues y'day & she told her not to run for 7 days! She had some heat therapy/ massage & said it hurt but was feeling better after. So I think we're going to post-pone our 20 til next weekend & Melissa & I will do maybe 16 this weekend instead. (which is actually how it was scheduled anyway) We plan on biking tomorrow, at least she is cleared for biking still!

Allison & I have errands to run this morning. We are getting a new van!!! So I have to run to the bank & get things all settled for that. I think it might be ready for us to pick up on Sat!! Now to sell our old junker, I hope someone will buy it!

It's been great having time w/ just Allison. We've been taking walks, playing, and just having fun. I've been getting a lot done while she naps in the afternoon too- cleaning & organizing!

I might do PUB later or else maybe tomorrow.

Sorry no time for personals!!

Hugs,

Mornin', everyone! :)

Had some internet trouble and thought I wouldn't be able to get my cheetah fix! :eek: <gasp> :)

Ran 4.3 miles today. Calves were feelin' REAL tight, so I'm gonna get lots of stretching in today. Will probably do GS CT in the afternoon.

Carole :: enjoy your 5-miler and PH.

Wendy :: the get-well vibes are on their way to you & Joey. I'm also absolutely itching to pre-order the new DVDs. We should form a support group.

Katie :: hope the back issue clears up. I thought my aches were gone but it was hurting again for the first 10 minutes or so of my run. It's in the mid to low back and seems to radiate from the spine.

Judy :: glad to hear your PT assessment went well. Have a great run!

Natalie :: I hear you...my vacation is winding down (we go back 9/5). Although I prefer AM workouts, I just don't see it happening during the school year. That will be an adjustment again for me, too.

Laurie :: I haven't done any races in years (although I plan to get back soon), but I used to just make sure I ate healthy in the few days leading up (avoiding grease, alcohol, etc.), and the night before, I'd have a pasta-based meal. The morning of a race I'd eat a yogurt and maybe a banana or some cereal.

Laura :: hope your father's recovering OK from his fall.

Ooh, a UPS truck just pulled up...ah, it was a zappos order...not my new running kicks! Still, doing a happy dance. I love packages!! :)

Hi to Christine, Elaine, Jess, Barbara, Barb, Mattea, Thomasina, Pamela, Colleen, Gayle, and anyone else I've accidentally left out.
Have a great day~
Cathy :)

Laurie ~ In regards to eating before racing, I think it all boils down to finding out what works for you. I personally try to stay away from the white flours & sugars. (although I did eat pizza the night before my half marathon!!) I do eat WW pasta, and honestly I find that a bowl of healthy cereal or oatmeal, fruit, and other whole grains is fine for fueling my running. Bananas, apples, peaches, and berries are some of my favorites. And staying plenty hydrated- I drink at least 120oz of water a day (and usually I just lose track of how much I drink so probably more). Some people stay away from dairy a couple days before running, but I don't find that it bothers me (I couldn't live w/out my yogurt & cottage cheese!).

I would avoid too much alcohol, I don't drink anyway so I don't know how it would affect my running. Really, I think it's more important to make sure you're eating properly for 2 days before hand than just the night before. That way your body has time to process & store the glycogen that you'll be using for your run. That's just from what I've read at least!

Also, if you're going to be using gels or sports drinks, use them while you train. Don't try something new while racing, or it can backfire. I can't stand Gatorade or other sports drinks, they make me sick to my tummy every time. I stick to water & a gel, that works for me.

Ask away if you have any questions!! It's all a tricky balance in finding what you should/ shouldn't eat!

Hugs,

Good Morning Cheetahs!

Judy-I'm glad to hear that the PT exam was so helpful! Does the PT have any more specific idea of what's causing the hip issues after the exam?

Laurie-I think that a few extra carbs the week of the event, like a half, couldn't hurt and will probably only help. I do know that pre-race, eat only what you do before your long runs, what has been proven to work for you and not upset your stomach at all during the stress of the intense workout. A vegetarian plate might be a good idea, if it's all things you're used to eating---however, if it's too fibrous and gassy (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, beans) or spicy--onions, garlic, hot peppers it could give you trouble the next day. I'd stick to something safe and simple. The bread basket, rice, pasta, carrots, green beans, soy. I'm sure you'll get more specific advice though :)

Wendy-Sorry to hear that you and Joey aren't feeling well :-( My vote is for Muscle Endurance as that one always feels like major endurance work! So cool that you'll be getting those new DVD's, boy do I have some mishmoshes for you!

Katie-PUB is killer isn't it? Maybe a power walk instead of a run? Easier on the back:D

Natalie-Wendy stole the words right out of my mouth! Hi though!

Carole-Well you make me run, so I guess we're even;-) }( How's the elliptical been working for you? DH really wants a treadmill, but I secretly want an elliptical, oh dear, how to break the news...

Cathy-DH has frequent trouble with calves, he's supposed to run less hills and stretch, and stretch some more. Right there with you on packages. I got a note in my mailbox yesterday that one is waiting for me at the post office:7

Jess-Busy, busy cheetah! Good solid advice for Laurie:) That's so cool about your new van! Are you just going to bike the next two days for crosstraining?

Christine-I suppose if I were moving to such a beautiful place, that might be incentive to get me to do it again, lol:7

Barb-Hello to brief cheetah in passing! The problem is we're all so fast it's hard to stay and talk, LOL:p

Thomasina!!!-I love it when you post Meatless Inca}( And I was just starting to think about taking up biking, 71 miles, with hills! My legs burn just thinking about it. I hope there were some good downhills in there too, those make the uphills to worth it:7

Howdy all other cheetahs!

So I did only MM yesterday and since I did it later in the day I seemed to have crazy amounts of strength, LOL! I actually upped most of my weights, and "choked up on my band"}( Today---DOMS:7
Today is a steady state cardio of some kind, maybe a run, maybe some hi/lo. I have to see what it's like outside right now. But I'm thinking run}(
Mattea

Good morning lovely cheetahs! I'm feeling very relieved this morning. I had quite a scare the last two days dealing with a groin strain (right side) I had a strenuous 7 mile interval run Wednesday morning and felt okay. About an hour afterwards my R groin was aching but I still felt it wasn't serious. Later I was doing GS Legs
and was starting on the step ups, right side....OMG...WTH!!!! I was in serious pain the rest of the day. Could NOT bear weight on the right side. I iced it like crazy and took it easy. My DH worries so much about me I didn't want to tell him. It took every ounce of fortitude in me not to limp in front of him! I was so worried I had a pelvic stress fracture. Yesterday, however I was much better, I went shopping with DH without much trouble but still feeling it. By yesterday evening I knew it wasn't a stress fx but only a muscle strain :7 I got in a great eliptical workout without pain. I also did alot of good upperbody work :) This morning I'd say I'm about 90% recovered, just a twinge left. I should be okay for my long run next Sunday:7 Well, lesson learned....I will faithfully do my stretches!!!! I'm also laying off the speed workouts for a while;-)

ShellyC

Hello again... so much for my injury saga...now for some personals with my cheetahpals:p

Mattea- Okay, now I know you are human afterall (still have boxes around) The computer is absolutely always an unpacking priority ;-)
Hope your having a great time exploring your surrounding hills}(

Thomasina- You had me leaping outta my chair with the news you'll be doing PFChang's in January :7 :7 :7 woohooo! Can't wait to meet up!
Did you know Gayle is also doing this race (the full marathon) That makes 4 cheetahs meeting up in beautiful Arizona! WTG on your 71 mile bike ride....AWESOME! Have you ever considered a triathlon?

Laurie- Sounds like you had a great track workout the other day. I wish I had one nearby to use (jealous,jealous!) The only advice I have re: pre race eating is a very simple one- Don't change your habits or eat anything unusual the few nights before. You don't want your gut rebelling on you during your half! Don't worry about
"carbo loading" for a half you should be fine:)

Elaine- so sorry you've been sick:( You and Gayle should definitely be in a support group together right now dealing with your new kindergartners! That empty house probably seems lonely to you....
workouts are great therapy for this }(

Judy- Sounds like you've hooked up with a good physical therapist!!
You've got a real sensible recovery going on there!

Wendy- Hope your getting in a good endurance weight workout. I'd be hard pressed to recommend with Cathe to do....any of hers are butt-kickers! I'd say you are definitely a runner addict now, looking at more races:7 Hope you and your DS get over this crud thing soon!

Katie- Hope your back feels better soon! Keep up with the stretches!
Looks like we'll be having a real cheetah gang GTG next Jan! I do envy you living in Phoenix for one reason...there are tons of great training programs available. Have you considered doing any of them?

Carole- Have a great run and weight workout today! I hope your nephews pneumonia resolves soon....he doesn't need that right now.Mobilization will help with that more than anything.

Cathy- I'm glad you could get your computer up to get in your cheetahfix before with withdrawal symptoms started ;-) So ...a zappos delivery? New running shoes perhaps? I had a great time wih GS C&T yesterday and have the DOMS today to prove it!

Jess- Great run today (as usual with you!) Sounds like a smart move to postpone the 20 miler. I hope it works out for your friend.A new car is always so exciting! If you price your old one reasonably it will sell I'm certain. People are always in the market for used cars.

Well, time to get moving. I'll still keep it low impact for today.
An hour of cycling, some elliptical work and lots of Core!

Take care everyone!

ShellyC

Good Morning Ladies!

Judy – glad to hear the PT assessment went well and I hope those exercises do the trick!!

Laurie – a mish mosh of the Upperbody work of MIS w/ Body Max would be a great idea! Thanks! I don’t really change my eating either, but for my half I’ll probably cut out all booze, and add a better mix of protein and carbs. Just make it clean and balanced.

Wendy – wow! Sorry you’re still under the weather and that Joey is as well!! I love RS/MIC/IMAX – especially RS and MIC! You’ll enjoy those!

Katie – Hope you’re back is feeling better!

Natalie – I’m with you – summer all year long! No rain and more time!

Carole – oh, sorry to hear about John’s infection. That’s tough! Keep us informed! Enjoy your run!

Cathy - Glad to hear your Cheetah fix issues have been resolved! :p UPS and the USPS are some of my favorite people in the world! They always deliver such fun things right to my doorstep. Gotta love that!

Jess - nice to have a furry running companion, isn’t it? I love my faithful furrball! I know what you mean about time and the kids being in school. I think it just takes some settling into… Enjoy your time with Allison! And your new van!!! How exciting!

Mattea – Amazing, isn’t it that some days we have so much strength then it hits us the next day! My butt is sore from PLB floorwork, so I know that feeling! Great job!

Shelly – glad to hear you’re feeling better!! That is very scary!!!

DD17 had her appointment and they found 4 cysts in her breasts. Now we need to go to a specialist to figure out where to go from here. I think they will have to be removed. But, the doctor called us back so quickly that I’m nervous. I have a message in with the doctor to get the info for the specialist.

Seems we have a lot of injured Cheetahs! My tendonitis is acting up again after my run on Monday and to top it off, my right knee’s IT Band is letting me know it’s there. Seems I should have listened to Shelly and not pushed so hard. *Bows down before Shelly*. Neither is so bad that I can’t work through it, but I need to be smart about it. So, I’m skipping my run today and will cycle instead. I’m going to do a Spinervals workout. And when I’m done, it’s ICE for both areas. I know I hurt both during the 10 mile trail run – I was feeling off that day but pushed anyway – which is always a no-no. Then I haven’t allowed proper healing. So, I’m doing knee and heal friendly things for a while.

I haven't posted in a while today. Still feeling yucky. ;( I wanted to post personals but I think I'll wait until later. Hope no one minds. I haven't done my work out yet. The thought of lifting weights is sooo not agreeing with me right now. It's not just the crud that is killing it but the fact that I am tired as heck as well. :-( I just posted some where last night or today that I was going to "fight tooth and nail" to work out through this cold and look at me about to take a rest day now! LOL I'm such a wimp!:eek: :7 Maybe if I'm up to it I'll do cardio again today. I can still do weights tomorrow and be okay as far as my rotation goes. We'll see. Cardio sounds much more pallatable to me for some reason.

As for Joey..he's up and down. Having "D" attacks now and again but with long periods of nothing in between. Same with the fever. I dread having to take him to the doc this time of year on a "sick call" so I'm holding off. I am hoping it goes away on it's own. I'm giving him Tylenol as needed for the fever and bought some pedialyte type stuff to make sure he stays properly hydrated because of the D problem. I'm giving him plenty to drink through out the day. The pedialyte is only for when he actually goes since it's not a constant thing. He is in pretty good spirits but he is tired. Napping more and not playing as much. Doing lots of sitting w/his fingers in his mouth. Poor kid. :-(

Sorry for babbling on...I'll catch up and do personals in a bit!

Wendy, The first part of your last post could have been written by me. I can't seem to shake this sore throat and congestion in my upper chest. I didn't run again yesterday although I did manage to force myself to do GS CT and core. Right now I am dreading going downstairs to do GS Legs but I'm going to. I also have a 90 minute elliptical workout scheduled..... I've got a 20 mile run to do this weekend so I have got to get better! OK. I'm off to do my leg workout! Hopefully I'll report back that it felt great and my elliptical workout was a breeze.

Spinervals was fun - a great workout and no stress what-so-ever on my achilles tendon and very little on my knee (only on some of the tough hills). So, I'm happy. I'm icing both my knee and my heel right now, anyway, as a precaution. I also did Stretch Max.

So many wounded and sick cheetahs:( Ah well, it's part of living and learning!

Christine- I am definitely not one to bow down to!!!! I don't even listen to my own advice!! I pushed through a hard interval run and gave myself an injury....fortunately not a serious one! The smart cheetah here is Wendy...she is truly listening to her body, even though it's not telling her good things now:( Anyway, you're doing the right thing now with the ice and rest and you'll be back in fighting form in no time!

Elaine- Good luck with the GS legs. I'm in love with elliptical training right now. It really lets you get a great cardio workout in without undue stress on the body!

Wendy- We can all absolutely understand not being up to personals today! I'm not sure how you can focus enough to post at all dealing with your own cold and your little guy's! Like I said before you are truly the smart cheetah here!

I did get in a marvelous 90 min cycle and elliptical workout...I'll go for some coremax segments later.

ShellyC

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.