::: CHEETAHS ::: Sunday Hugs

RunninTeach

Cathlete
Good morning, all! :)

Carole :: thinking of you and hoping your mom is hanging in there OK.

Dallas :: sorry about the mishap with your car & garage door. That's all you needed right now, huh? Get thee in that massaging chair and pour yourself a big glass! I have a feeling you are so busy being Superwoman--doing for everybody, worrying for everybody, that possibly you are neglecting yourself in all this. As several of us here know all too well, persistent insomnia can be a BEAR! Maybe daily yoga would help quiet your mind? When I had my worst bout of it, I wound up taking something OTC that did help me get to sleep. It's a vicious cycle, and I'm sure it's magnified even much worse for a mom taking care of a family! (((HUGS)))

Wendy :: Very admirable fighting spirit in your friend's mom...Welll, "lots" didn't exactly happen, but you might say I have together what's absolutely necessary for the first couple of days with the kidlets. :)

Today is a shorter long run--I'll shoot for 11-13--and will try those much-talked-about Nuun tablets this time. Then, I need to scrape together a salad, and it's off to DSis's for an early Labor Day BBQ.

Have a great Sunday, cheetahs, and a round of (((HUGS))) to all!

Good Morning Girls.:)

Cathy: Hope you have a good run and a nice time at the bbq! Yes, when I read what BF's mom said I got chills. I was texting with BF a little bit last night. She's still hangin' on. Not sure how long it'll be at this point. I suppose if the woman has the will to live it might be a little while. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

So I didn't end up doing any CTX y'day. I realized that I needed something to do for today and with the race tmrw, I didn't want to run again so I am doing a few YTB body parts ala' CTX. The only thing I can GAURANTEE is that it will NOT be LEGS today! LOL If I do that I'll just be gauranteeing myself last place in the race!:eek:

Well my fleamarket idea was a bust. We went there (it's 45 minutes away) and found out that they are closing down in a couple of months so very few booths remained opened. I DID manage to buy a little something believe it or not but it was far from the trip I had envisioned. After that we went to Dicks and Sports Authority so DH could look for running shorts. They are terribly expensive. DH wouldn't spend full price-I don't blame him-and he couldn't find anything on the sales racks. Let me tell ya though...lots of the sales were pretty darned pricey too!:confused: I told him to hit Kohls! I'll FORCE myself to tag along!;)

After that it was time to eat and there is a BoneFish right in the same area so that's where we ate. YUMMY! I wondered if DS was going to make it home from our trip in one piece though. He wasn't being all that cooperative and DH was getting really upset with him. He was already in trouble for carrying on in the parking lot and then while we were at the restaraunt he squeezed his milk cup so hard that he put a big hole in the side of it (styrafoam cup) and it started leaking EVERYWHERE! What a mess! After that DS claimed he had to do #2 while we were eating our appetizers. DH took him to the bathroom and he did NOTHING. He will often say he has to use the potty during a meal. If he actually goes, that's fine, but sometimes he doesn't and that doesn't make us happy. He DID make it home from our trip w/o being left on the side of the road some where but it was a close one. ;)

Today my mom and her SO are going to the horse races. After that they are coming here to pick up DS and take him home with them. We thought about meeting them there but that would mean no nap for DS and I don't want to do that to my mom so DH volunteered to stay home with DS while I go to the track!:D I'm not actually sure if I'm gonna go yet but I'm considering it.

Okay, now that I've written out my life story from y'day afternoon to this morning I think I'll shut up now. :p

BBL!

Good morning cheetahs

Update on my Mom: She did a drug induced stress test yesterday morning, only to find out that because she had some coffee before, there is a possibility it could mess up the results so she has to do it again today...:(...she was not happy finding that out. The nurse did not get the info about the stress test so it was a bit of a mix-up. I am hoping it will go smoothly today, turn out negative and we can proceed to the surgery. She will most likely have 2-3 months in a rehab facility, with no weight bearing on the knee after surgery for 6-12 weeks. Even though I was at the hospital most of the day yesterday I managed to miss the PITA sister...:D...so far so good! Thanks to ALL of you for your hugs, thoughts and prayers, you cheetahs are the bestest!!

Cathy...Glad I have so far avoided my oldest sis. But eventually I will see her and we will see what happens..:)...Did you get some of your school prep done? Enjoy your 11-13 today, let us know how you liked the Nuun tablets. Hope you have fun at the BBQ later.

Shelly...you are right it has been very worrisome about my Mom not seeing a Dr regularly. I had no idea it was common. But what in the world can you do, take them by force? We are all hoping this could help get her to stop smoking but who knows. Thanks, I have been taking care of myself but we are all tired as insomnia seems common! I managed to get in a good night's rest last night, and will run and get some things done here before I go to the hospital again. So you are having fun with the new workouts?

Gloria..yes, Beau is getting big! Hopefully not TOO big...:)..That is nice your girl liked the gift.

Dallas...So sorry about the SUV incident. That is so frustrating!! Glad you have been getting in some good runs lately...:)

Christine...It is shocking how my Mom never see's a Dr. She has always been that way and probably not going to change anytime soon, though now she has no choice! I don't think it has really sunk in to her, she has a tough road head. Thanks, I hope they find nothing with the stress test and can proceed to the surgery. It is nice to have 3 days to get things done. Good job with ASC2. I still have not tried that one again, too frustrating!

Jackie...it never is fun to see your parents hurt or in the hospital. I hope today goes better for her. Thanks re Beau, he really is a funny puppy and makes us laugh a lot. As for my sis, we could use a big chill pill!! WOW, way to go running all the hills. So a half marathon in your future??...:D

Linda...Great job on the 15 mile run! So sorry about the cramping. You might want to check out the Nuun tablets too, as they should help you with the cramping in hot conditions. Don't feel bad, I learned the hard way too about carrying your own drink or even water. Running in high humidity can really be tough. You did great!! The day yesterday was not really bad, just long. And real long to my Mom.

Judy...my Mom slipped on her stairs friday. We had all been concerned this would happen which is one reason we wanted her to sell and get into another house that is NOT 2 stories. I had a no discipline day yesterday, went a bit over my calories!

Wendy...that is good that your BF's family got there. It is amazing that her Mom has that kind of strength to wait...wow. Sorry DS was trouble yesterday. SO you and DH run your race tomorrow??

I am going to do hopefully a 12 mile run today with my friend. I feel a bit dazed with the time at the hospital, but I know it is way harder on my Mom!

Have a good day...:)

Good morning Cheetahs!

Wendy - Great job on keeping that 10 minute pace yesterday! So, you're conquering that treadmill now. Great! How brave of your BF mother! Sorry the flea market idea didn't pan out for you.

Linda - WTG on that race!! Congratulations on making it through! Bummer on them running out of Gator Ade. Sounds like a tough race all around! Congrats on reaching that goal! You rock!! Oh my on the medal! Some coincidence, huh?

Christine - Glad you enjoyed ASC 2. Great way to sweat out the effects of that dinner. How's DH? Hair cut looking good?

Judy - Understand the busy times. How was the game? Workout week looks good. Hope PMS doesn't hang around too long.

Dallas - So sorry for the SUV and garage door mishap! Know you didn't need that. Hope some of the stress eases up for you. Good job on the run!

Cathy - Have a good run and enjoy that BBQ today.

Carole - Thanks for the update on your mom. Hope things will go smoothly so they can get the surgery done. What are the plans for your mom after the surger and rehab? Good luck with your 12 mile run today. I know how it can be trying to work around your mom being in the hospital. ((((HUGS))))

Gotta run! Rest day for me. Early service at church.

Enjoy your day!

Good Morning Cheetahs!

Judy – Sounds like you’ve had a great workout week! Have fun with the hockey games!!

Linda – That is amazing. I’m like you, I count on the race to supply the gatoraid. Hey the last 4 miles may have been slow, but you finished under conditions where many did not. You did great!

Wendy – Your BF’s Mom is a hero. That really is a tribute to mom’s. I had to give my mom permission to go. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I’m glad I did. The ASC’s are a blast, but yes, they are complicated and definitely not for those who prefer their workouts more straight forward. :p Sorry Joey was a pain yesterday. It does get easier, I promise!! Have fun at the track, if you decide to go!

Cathy – my hairdresser is chatty, so while the hair cut is not relaxing, it is definitely entertaining. :D I probably should have taken a rest day, but I couldn’t after eating what I did. I felt so much better afterwards, I’ll tell ya! :p Sounds like you had a nice workout yesterday! I need to add more core work to my routine. Enjoy your longish run and your BBQ! That sounds like fun!

Dallas – OH NO!!! I’m sorry about your SUV and your garage! Lack of sleep does horrid things to us. I hope you’re feeling better!

Carole – I’m keeping your mom and you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes well! Great job at avoiding PITA sister. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that they will find nothing wrong and she can proceed to surgery.

Jackie – enjoy your rest day and church!!!

Well, today is the long ride, ouch! :p I’m taking the camera, so I’ll see if I remember to snap some pics for y’all. I got what’s called a “Bento Box” for my bike – it sits right on the top tube and attached to the fork and keeps things like cell phones, id, and cameras very handy. I also got a pump that attached to the top tube. Hopefully we won’t have to try that new toy out! But it’s nice to know I have it in case. I’ll be back with a ride report.

Carole :: Here ya go (for sis):
chillpillsmile.gif

Sorry about the stress test snafu. Hoping all goes well for DM. It does sound like a long haul ahead. Perhaps now she'll be more open to moving to a one-story AND to following up on her health. My parents were EXACTLY like that up until the last 10 years or so when they each had a serious health scare. Now they are still reluctant to seek treatment, but they do at least go for their regular checkups, which is a relief. Two summers ago, my dad had to have a stress test done (the standard kind on the TM) which showed a heart abnormality. He then had that procedure done to check the arteries (angiogram, I think it's called?), and it turns out they were "clean as a baby's," according to the doc. So, the stress test was wrong. The irony was that his health insurance later balked at covering the stress test--he had to fight them tooth and nail on it for months. He joked that for all the aggravation, he wouldn't be able to pass a subsequent stress test. Still, the whole experience motivated him to become active, and now he walks or run/walks 6 days a week. So, in a strange way, maybe this awful injury will be an eye-opener that leads to some positive changes for your mom, too...Re: the school work, I got enough done. :)

Wendy :: what is YTB? Enjoy it, whatever it is! :) I love Bonefish. Thought the name was odd when they first opened up around here, but the food was a very pleasant surprise to this seafood lover! Did you get the signature Big Bang Shrimp? Good luck at the track if you go. BTW, you didn't go to Columbus, did you?

Jackie :: Hope you enjoy the early service and your rest day. My favorite part of these long runs is the calorie replenishment!
th_hungry.gif

Christine :: I have learned that post-long run BBQs are VERY fun!
th_eatting.gif
The Bento Box sounds cool. Love seeing the pics from those of you who live in more scenic areas. Me, I get to follow a trail of Smirnoff airplane bottles. (No kidding.) Someone who traveled the route I did this morning had himself a jolly good time!
th_lol.gif
*lol* I think consistent ab work is definitely helping with running form on these long runs. I think it was you who noticed how you could see the Olympic marathoners' abs working. Well, needless to say, mine are buried under a layer of Pillsbury dough :), but on that last 18 miler, I could feel them fatiguing a little in last couple of miles.

I enjoyed a decent 12 miler. A tad warmer, more humid than it has been lately, but all in all, a good run. Tried Nuun today (orange ginger). It was all right. Tasted basically like Airborne to me. Everybody has different tastes, of course, but I think I'll be sticking with Cytomax. I also tried Fruit Splash flavored Sharkies for the first time--two thumbs up.

Time to get moving...have a terrific day!

Hi Girls.

My work out is done. I banged out CTX Back, Shoulders, Triceps and the ab work from Power Circuit. Glad to have it behind me. :)

So I've decided that the race track IS ON! My mom said they would pick me up on the way so that means I can have a few beers while I'm there. I think that cinched it for me. LOL When they drop me off they are picking DS up for the night.

Cathy: YTD is "yet to be determined". Columbus? Is that a flea market? I went to the route 18 market. I think it's in East Brunswick. Nope, no shrimp for me. Not a shrimp girl. We got the chicken egg roll appy. It was good. Then I got the gruper picatta and DH got the longfin talapia dish. DS had mac n cheese...his usual! LOL Glad you had a satisfying run. It's all about trial and error with all of the sports drink, etc choices out there. I've used Heed by Hammer but actually found plain ol' Gatorade to work better so ya never know! I watered it down a bit cause it's too sweet for me straight and used it on my 11 miler and felt great the entire time. I guess I should just go with what works. I was concerned with all of the sugar that Gatorade has but maybe that's just what I need on the long ones. Live and learn, right? Enjoy that post-run bbq!!! :)

Christine: I think BF and her sisters need to do the same for thier mom. They need to find the strength to tell their mom that it's OKAY for her let go. They will be OK. Sounds like ya got some KEWL toys for today's ride! Let us know how they work out for ya!

Jackie: For the most part I am over my TM issues except for the higher speeds. I still can't do them lots of times so my sprints are slower then they used to be. Oh well, I'm done worrying about it. I just do what I can. Enjoy your rest day! :)

Carole: Sorry your mom has to go through that stress test again. That stinks. I hope it works out better today. Glad you were able to avoid PIA sister y'day! That's always a plus, huh? LOL Yeah, tmrw is the big race! LOL DH is shooting for something in the 27 min range. I am shooting for 28 myself but you KNOW I'm going to have to try and keep up with DH for as long as I can! ;) Enjoy your run!

Okay, time to give DS a haircut and a bath!

BBL!

Good morning!

Wendy - How terribly sad for your BF's mom. :( Isn't a mother's love amazing. Oh dear, sorry Joey is giving you fits!! Enjoy the BoneFish and shopping!!

Dallas - Oh my goodness! That is awful about your car and garage door! Good job on the 6.5 mile run , though! I agree with you guys on these crazy busy days. It seems to just Fast Forward even more and more, instead of giving us any breathing time!

Cathy - Madison didn't get these! ;) The mailman was able to put them in the mailbox, so she didn't have access to them! Thanks goodness! So you weren't that impressed with the Nuun's? I can't wait to try the Cytomax! I am not running today, though (taking a recovery day)!! Great job on your 12 miler! I hope the humidity goes away soon! It is going to put a damper on our marathon training! Wow! You are getting really close to yours!

Christine - Enjoy your ride! THat Bento Box sounds cool! LOL ...it of made me think of a box to hold Amy Bento DVD's ;) I sure hope you don't have to use the pump today! It is great that you will have it when you need it!!!

Jackie - Enjoy your day and church service! Are you having a lot of high humidity, too? Yes, the medal ribbon gave me cold chills when I saw the name on it.

Carole - Wow :( That is awful for your Mom! That is a shame about the caffeine and having to call off the test! I am sure she want to "get the show on the road" so she will be able to start recovering! I hope and pray when they do it that everything is normal and the surgery gets her straightened out! LOL....glad you were able to miss your PITA sister!

Well, Patty wanted to do a recovery run today, but we decided to "not". It is just so humid and hot this morning and we would have to have done it at 9 or 10.....so we skipped it. I would rather give myself a "rest" day to recover today anyway!

Hey to everyone!

Linda

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to let you know I posted the window treatment pics over at yahoo if you want to see them.

Christine - Hope you had an awesome long ride! Sounds like you have your bike all pimped up with the necessities. :D

Cathy - Glad to hear the stress test experience motivated your dad to get out and do something good for him. Wish I could motivate my DB and he had open heart surgery. :( Yay for a good run! Enjoy that calorie replenishment! :D

Wendy - Good workout today! Enjoy the race track! Yes, all you can do is your best with the TM! How did the haircut and bath go with Joey? Does he give you a hard time?

Linda - Yes, humidity is getting back up there. When I get home most days, I pull the hair back in a ponytail to keep it off my neck. Don't blame you for not wanting to run in the humidity. Enjoy the rest day.

Getting ready to head out to an old high school friend mom's funeral.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Jackie...not sure where Mom will go after re-hab. We seem to be just going day by day right now. My oldest wants to take care of my Mom, but the other 3 of us really don't want that. We will wait til that point and see how things are. I know you understand the hospital and working around that. Thank you so much for the hugs..:D..Enjoy your rest day. Nice of you to go to your High School friends Mom's funeral.

Cathy...LOVE the chill pill!!! Thanks for sharing about your parents. It does give me hope for my Mom. Glad your parents do get a yearly check-up. I sometimes cannot believe insurance companies and the stuff they seem to not want to pay for...drives us all insane! We are definitely hoping this will be an eye opener for my Mom. LMAO about the Smirnoff bottles on your run..:D.I am thinking Nuun might be more about electrolytes than most sports drinks. Those sharkies are tasty, glad you enjoyed them for your 12 miles.

Christine..thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I am sure hoping the surgery will be a "go" for tomorrow. Missing my PITA sister has sure been a treat! That Bento Box sounds cool. You know how we love seeing pics...:)

Wendy...Yes, definitely a plus avoiding the PITA sister!! I will send you strong running vibes to kick DH's tush tomorrow...:D..Good job with CTX.

Linda...thanks for your thoughts and prayers for my Mom. I am so hoping the surgery will be right on track as they find nothing wrong.

The 12 miles went well, felt somewhat therapeutic. The wind was not really fun but at least it was a cool wind and not hot. I am going to get somethings done here and then head to the hospital...:)

Cheetha Hugs is a great title for today. I just got back from all morning at the ER with my mom and dad. She had her kidney stone surgery on Thursday and never was right. Her left side began to hurt ( kidney stone was on the right side) and since it's the weekend the doctor said go to the ER. They gave her hydrocodone for the pain ( we including my mom are not big on drugs) but she needed one and then had an allergic reaction to it with pins and needles in her arm and lips. So we went to the ER and they think she is having back spasms. They gave her tylenol with codeine and she is set to see her cancer doctor again Wed for her second treatment for the bone cancer. They are not sure if any of it is related to one another. Good Greif. It could be a side effect from the kidney stones moving, the bone cancer treatment, or just spasms. Poor thing. Anyway today is my rest day. Hugs to all of you.

Carole- give your mom my best hugs and wishes!!!!

I didn't read anything else but I hope all of you have a great Labor Day.

I will be back tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Ride report (I'll be back with personals!):

I did my long ride today. 41 miles, with 3000 feet altitude gain. Similar to the ride I did last week, but I did it in reverse and did not take the short cut (which added 4 miles). The first 15 miles was easy. Nice rolling hills, nothing too steep, and with a nice wide bike lane!

332607015.jpg

Then came the climb. I turned left onto Page Mill, and stopped to get some water. My companions there was this horse:

332606862.jpg

The climb was 7 miles, but the difference between Page Mill and Hwy 9 is that Page Mill offers some breaks. But the breaks come with a price. While Hwy 9 is a fairly steady climb (to the point of being tedious), Page Mill has some very steep sections that forced me into my granny gear. L I even had to stop once to catch my breath. But I pedaled on, and eventually came to the top, and onto Skyline Blvd.

332606904.jpg

Skyline is also a series of rollers, but these are much more serious rollers! And the view is really incredible. I did take a quick restroom break at one of the local Open Space Preserves. Then it was off past vineyards (sorry, I had I great down hill here and did not want to stop for photos), and miles of hiking and mountain biking trails. Skyline runs across the top of the Santa Cruz mountains, and it’s usually cooler up there. The only real problem is the motorcyclists. They like the road because is curvy and windy and fun to ride (kind of like the reason I ride it), but it’s so quiet and peaceful up there that it’s almost an affront to have a really loud bike go by. I don’t mind the quieter ones, but why do people have to have the reallyh loud ones? It cannot be good for their ears!!! But, fortunately, they were not too numerous (too early for their crowd), so I enjoyed the ride. The breeze was very nice. I did take a quick break overlooking my favorite mountain bike trail!

332606877.jpg

Then it was off to the pay off – 11 easy miles, 7 of which are straight down hill. I passed a clipboard lying in the middle of the road (?) and a dead skunk (not so interesting). Then through the really cute town of Saratoga, and then home.

Back for personals!

Cathy – oh yeah, post run (or long ride) fueling is fun, and I can imagine BBQ’s are even more fun! Great job on the 12 miler! I was laughing at your following a trail of Smirnoff bottles! I do agree with consistent ab work – not only for running, but for cycling – climbing well requires a strong core and upper body, believe it or not. Those short, steep hills are easier while standing and rocking the bike back and forth. My biceps are sore! :p

Wendy – The pamphlets that the hospice gave us, told us how important it is to simply give your loved one permission to move on to the next stage. It’s so hard, though. Hope the hair cut and bath were fun! Enjoy the track!

Linda – Sorry it’s so hot and humid, but I guess it worked in your favor today. Didn’t have to use the pump. *knocks on wood* I had a good ride.

Jackie – sorry to hear about your old high school friend’s mom. It did have a nice long ride today. I’m tired. My “pimped” bike did well! :p

Carole – Hope you continue to evade PITA Sis! Glad you got in a nice long run! I’ll bet it felt good. I managed to avoid the wind, which was nice, but it’s picking up now! ITA with the insurance company rant. :mad:

Karen – oh my! Your poor mom!! I hope she is recovering and that the pain is not related to her cancer. I’ll keep her in my prayers.

I have made Kimo’s food, and now I’m relaxing. I’m tired. I’ll sleep well tonight, I tell ya. Have a fabulous evening all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.