CHEETAHS: Sleepy Sunday

LauraR

Cathlete
Well, at least it's sleepy for me. Hope the rest of you are energized and doing exciting workouts.

DS has started Augmentin, Mommy Great Dane is nursing 9 puppies, and I’m bleary-eyed and exhausted. TG today is a rest day! I think a nap is in store this afternoon!

Karen—With all your doggie woes, I wish I could just mail one of mine to you! I currently have 10 Great Danes. Oh my!

OK, to avoid further haranguing from Wendy, here is my long-awaited African post. :D

We’ve been in Uganda for 10 years. At this point, the reason we’re staying is that DH has been named Director of Development for a new university that is being built here. One of the keys to moving Africa out of the third world is having capable, ethical workers in all sectors of public life. Finding folks who are BOTH capable AND ethical is a real challenge. Our mission with the university is to train folks who are able to serve and build their country with both their hearts and their skills.

Currently, the population of Uganda completely outstrips the number of universities that they have. Schools routinely turn away 50% of their applicants. So this is a real need. In addition, 75% of the population is age 20 and under. This is because of the short life-expectancy, in addition to the ravages of AIDS and of cruel dictators in the 70s and 80s. So, we have a huge youth population, limited numbers of older mentors, and not enough schools. Something obviously needs to be done. So, that is our dream—to step in and help to fill that hole.

It’s really an exciting vision. Many days it seems totally overwhelming. But the impact that it could have is incredible.

Now, I said that’s why we’re staying. But that wasn’t yet part of the picture when we moved here 10 years ago. When we came, it was to join a “typical mission organization that was working here. We are Christians, and so we began with the simple plan of working with churches, church leaders, and the women of the community. But from there the mission has grown. Our team now coordinates a children’s home in Kenya with 40 kids, a branch of an AIDS orphans sponsorship program that, in our area, supports 60 kids, and a mission effort in war-torn Southern Sudan that, in addition to a Bible school also runs a dental/eye clinic and a nursery school. We coordinate a 400-student Bible school and help mentor 300 churches in the outlying villages. Every year, through the work of an American 501(c)(3) we help to distribute about 1500 pairs of free glasses. And we have served as the distribution point for hundreds of goats in projects similar to the Heifer Project (one goat is given to one person in the community, and when it has kids, they are given to other members of the community, etc. etc.)

(Pauses to catch breath.)

Obviously, a work this size takes a large amount of man-power, and no one of us is actively involved in every project. Currently there are 6 of us who are sort of the “board,” and we have 5 to 10 other Americans working with us at any given time. We also have a staff of about 50 East Africans who carry the bulk of the day-to-day work load.

So, that’s what we’re doing and why we’re here. The past 10 years have been great, but if it weren’t for the university project, we would probably be turning things over and moving back to the States. But we have a new vision, and it is exciting. It looks like an opportunity to affect lasting change, and in a way that is close to our hearts. (DH and I both have masters’ degrees and have long been interested in completing our Ph.Ds and teaching college.)

So, there’s my long-winded answer, Cathy, Posh, and Wendy. :DMore than you wanted to know, I’m sure. But since (literally) our whole lives are devoted to what we’re doing here, it’s hard to talk about it without passion.

OK, after all that, I’ll have to come back for personals. Hope you’re all having a great weekend.

:D Good Morning Laura and all who follow. :D

Laura: You and your husband are doing great things for Africa. It is a very selfless act to move to a 3rd world country for such a long period of time to help them out like that. It's just wonderful. Thank you for sharing your story. :) Wow, 9 great dane pups. How awesome is that!? Congratulations to the proud grandma and grandpa and ofcourse to the mom as well. :D What will you do with the pups?

Karen: You must be talking about the cleans when you are bruising yourself. Don't worry-it's not the only exercise that you will bruise your forearms with the first time you do it! LOL I had a hard time with cleans at first as well. Practice practice practice and you will get it. As for the blisters, yes, you will probably get them. I wear gloves and still get them. They say weight lifters chalk is the way to go but I have yet to pick some up so I can't vouch for that.

Today is when I would normally rest but I will probably work out. I don't feel tired, worn out or sore so I am going to take advantage of that and the time I have to do my work out. I will rest one day this week when my time is more limited. Not sure if I'll do a kb work out, a short run or a little bit of both. I'll decide a bit later.

BBL.

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...it was weird about the HRM fluke. I will see how it goes today. That is great about getting good grades in Potassium. I have adjusted my weight on the software so now sometimes it is hard to get in all the calories...Good job with the run and Squeeze workout.

Laura...I sure hope they find and answer soon for your son's fever. WOW, I did not know you had a Great Dane. Congrats on the puppies. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Amazing how the mission has grown into what it is today! I commend you and your DH...The University sounds like a wonderful project for the people there.

Christine...I did miss most of the Ravens/Titans game (see below) and I think it was good I missed it. DH said the Titans coach was so upset with the number of penalties!! I did watch most of the next game...WTH?..LOL as most of the experts said the home teams would win this weekend!!! I think Delhomme threw 5 ints??? Glad you are feeling better, I am still taking some Umcka daily. LOL about Jimmy...:)...I think we both will have some very nice weather the next few days. Hope the laundry mat was not too bad.

Wendy...I think you have a great outlook on the marathon training. Making running your priority is the best move. Yes, circuits might not go great with marathon training.

Karen...Glad you are getting into the KB workouts. Hopefully the right dog will come along for you soon.

Gloria..Yes, I am an Aquarius too. That is a nice tradition to always run on your B-Day. How was the fish chatting last night?..:)

Shelly...Luckily for me my HRM's have rarely malfunctioned. But I got used to running with them a very long time ago and feel lost without one...:)..Thanks re: my run today.

As I said above I missed most of the 1st FB game yesterday. I went with Karen and her daughter to the vet as her daughter (my niece) had to put down her 11 year old lab/shepherd cross. Jasmine was the most lovable, sweet, docile dog and she had gotten bone cancer. I have know her since she was a puppy. For me it was the hardest for the 1st dog you have to put down or loose. Not that it is every easy in anyway. I was glad to be there for her. My niece did get another puppy a few weeks ago, she is the cuteset little thing...:)...and I do hope she helps my niece with the heartache...

Today will be 18 miles. We are having some nice weather and it might get into the mid 70's!!! How nice not to do a long run in the rain! Then of course more football games.

Have a great day...:)

Good Morning Cheetahs. Today I'm doing some cleanmax and laundrymax and then some footballmax. Go Giants.

Laura- I loved your answer to why you are still there. It tells such a wonderful story. You both are so amazing to do that kind of work. As for the pup I would have loved one.

Wendy- At least now I know I not the only one brusing myself. I am anxious to get going tomorrow. I still have this horrible cold that I got right after my mom died. I know that it is still lingering since I'm not working out or eating right. When are you beginning you marathon training?

Carole- I'm so sorry to hear about Jasmine. With all my doggie news lately I'm so sorry to hear that even more now. Good luck with the 18 miles today. I'm sure it will help to run off the sorrow and pain of it all.

Off to get some lemon zinger tea.

Last edited:
Karen...Thank you for your kind words. I like all the teams playing today and it would be cool if the Giants could get to the Superbowl once again...:)

GoOoOoOod morning, cheetahs, and happy Sundayyyy!!!
th_icon_bye.gif

Carole—oh, I bet that was so hard on your niece. Good that you were there to support. IA, it is one of the worst things to have to do…Hope you have a fab 18 in DRY weather for a change! You’ll be crankin’ up the tunes, eh? J

Karen—congrats on your first kettlebell purchases! I haven’t had any issues with blisters, but I did invest in a pair of forearm guards because I was getting rather banged up early on. They were great to have while I was getting down the form.

Laura—Thanks for explaining how you came to be in Uganda and what you’re working on there now. I can imagine there is a tremendous amount of work to do in a war-ravaged country. I saw that the LRA attacked in DR Congo on Christmas. Very troubling…congratulations on the new litter of pups! Hope the meds have kicked in and DS8 is feeling better.

Wendy—ooh, how fun to have a Collage order delivered tomorrow so you can join the new-workout craze!

I am still feelin’ major triceps DOMS from Friday’s u/b Squeeze Stronger work! Got some in my waist, too, of all places. Of the two new Squeeze workouts, I would definitely have to say this one is hands-down the favorite!!

Today will be a Ski Conditioning workout on the BOSU and some time on the EXT.

Tomorrow kicks off CLX, and I’m extremely STOKED (!!!), but I want to give y'all a heads up that, as part of the working-smarter/ time management choices I’m making in the New Year, I’ve decided to scale back some on my checking in here during this rotation. My morning posting time is going to be my morning bustin'-tuchus time!!
th_weightlifting_12.gif
th_big_smile.png
W
hile I will be logging in regularly to utilize the nutrition program, I’ll likely check in less frequently, probably on weekends.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Brighton—Oh, I really hope you do find a good solution for your IT band. It has been so wonderful for me not to feel restricted in my cardio. If I stop rolling for a few days, it does tighten up again. So I have to be consistent. (And not run on back to back days, as I’ve discovered.)

Gloria—Thanks re: my 10 miles. And I’m glad I’m not the only one chanting Cheetah mantras during my hard runs!

Cathy—Thanks re: my kids. DS6 is totally on the mend, and DS8 seems to be on his way up since we started the antibiotic. Yes, I’m unfortunately in the ITB club. It’s been an issue ever since college. For a while I couldn’t do any high impact activities. Then I discovered that part of the issue was cardio overuse without enough strength training. Then I became able to do impact activities like step, but still no running. With the discovery of the foam roller I have been running again for a year now. It stays in shape if I’m faithful to roll (see post to Brighton above). And, yes, the LRA got kicked out of Uganda and moved next door. :mad:

Dallas—We’ve missed you but totally understand “busy-ness.” I’m planning to start P90X in March.

Carole—I have definitely missed getting to watch football here in Africa. I grew up more on college than on NFL, but my mom and I spent a good portion of every weekend when I was growing up watching college football together. I especially miss it over the holidays! But our 3am SB party is close at hand! Thanks for the ITB warning. I did decide to be safe and just do upper body yesterday. Thanks, too for your comments re: our work in Africa. We’ve had at least one great dane for over 5 years now. They are great with kids but look and sound fierce.

Christine—I love your “fashion models of the animal world” comment! I guess our Posh Cheetah is an appropriate name then, huh? Yeah, I don’t always get the 9 hours either. I heard someone say once, though, that you can actually store up sleep. That seemed crazy, but he was a doctoral biochemistry student and should’ve known what he was talking about. :D

Shelly—I feel like I have arrived, when you call me a “serious long distance runner.” :D Thanks! Yes, there is something special about double digits. I have been wondering what the “turning point” for me might be when I would decide that I was “worthy” to add “Cheetah” to my signature. I thought I might wait till I finish the ½, but I think the double digit marker might be a good one. Now I just need to find a good site to create a signature. ::)

Wendy—There is a good market among expatriates here for pure breed dogs, because they’re rare, so we will sell them. Of course, we’ll give a good discount to all our friends and co-workers. And we’ll keep at least one, maybe two. Thanks for your kind words about our work here in Africa.

Karen—I’m so glad that you enjoyed my Africa story. Yes, the first-come, first-serve plan for getting the dogs seems a little unfair. I hope you can get something worked out with the other system and find a good match for your dad!

I've loved resting today. Foam rolling really helped the tightness after my long run, but I was glad to rest again. Tomorrow is speed drills, my favorite.

Cathy- I am in envy of the CLX. I keep looking at that one to put on my to buy list. I'm waiting for some feedback so now I know where to turn. Don't worry about checking in as much. We are hear no matter. Just look, I'm a real good example of how checking in can become a bit much at times but still find my place here like I never stopped. Not that you won't be around. I just wanted to say we understand.

Cathy..It was hard on my niece and after a fairly good night last night, today is bad. Quite common as you tend to beat yourself up over the guilt, you waited to long to do it, she was in so much pain, etc. The guilt ebbs away but it does take time. I have her in my prayers. The 18 was great in the DRY weather! I had my iPod but didn't use it. Karen said she used her's the last 4 miles to keep up with me....nah...:)..Have fun with the Bosu and EXT workout. Ahhhh, I will miss ya here. But I know how important the Nutrition stuff is. Good luck with CLX, I think you will rock!!

Laura...My Mom is a college Football fan too, but I grew up watching NFL with my Dad. He musta won...:)..Your work in Africa amazes me...and I am so thankful for people like you and your DH. My best friend growing up had a Great Dane, and I have always thought they were way cool dogs. Glad the foam roller is helping.

The 18 mile run went well. It was about 33 when we started but thankfully it warmed up as we ran and my fingers got over the numbness!! We seemed to be fairly strong on all the uphills and that made us happy. Looks like another home team was defeated...WOW...off to prepare for the San Diego/Pittsburgh game.

Hey everyone.

I haven't been here for a few days. My DD was in the hospital again for 2 days. They were going to take the baby C-section on Thursday because he is getting too much blood to the umbilical cord. She isn't due for 5 more weeks. They did a contraction stress test and the baby passed that, so they decided to induce her yesterday. Then....they decided to have her go home Friday night, come back to the hospital Today and get another "non" stress test, then another sonogram tomorrow and if that is not normal, do an amnio...if that is normal, they will take him. If the ultra sound is okay.....they will wait until Thursday and do an amnio and if it is normal...take him on Thursday. They have her 2 shots of beta methesone (spelling?) over 48 hours to strengthen his lungs.

Her baby shower I was having for her was scheduled for yesterday. We canceled it on Fri., (food and everything)...then the doc told her she could go home and it would be okay to go to her shower....so I made the calls to have everything "on" again. We had the shower yesterday. I have been coming down with a cold for a while...and I knew that with all of this stress and having to carry everything to the rec. building in the pouring rain that I would get worse. Well...I am really sick now. Needless to say....I did not do my race this morning. It was 29 degrees and really damp outside.

The non-stress test today (Sunday) turned out well. She will get the ultra sound and possibly amnio tomorrow. They don't know what is causing the problem. The venous pressure is fine....but the arterial pressure is up.

Okay...I am sorry for going on and on!

Laura - Wow! That is amazing and wonderful what you and your DH are doing!

Karen - I am glad to see you doing some better :) Good luck with the doggie choice! We have a yellow lab (our second one :) ). Labs are wonderful dogs....but so are most dogs! :)

I will try to check in and finish personals later, but the way things are going lately...who knows! I spend most of the day in bed today :( I have to get better soon because the next couple of weeks are going to be rough!

Hugs to all of you guys! I hope everyone is well! Talk to you as soon as I can!

Linda

Hello again, cheetahs! :)

Carole—I feel for your niece. I think I might have shared before that when I was in college, I had to take my cat to be put down. I went alone and thought I would be OK with the whole thing because she had been suffering so much. But that doesn’t really make it any easier. I barely kept it together in the office and then sobbed the whole way home. It is tough…Woo-hoo! What a compliment from Karen! Great job on the hills...Thanks, I will miss checkin’ in with my girls on a daily basis, but for right now, I’ve got to do a better job of time management.

Karen—Jackie, Linda, Christine, and Posh are also using CLX, so between all of us, you’ll get lots of cheetah feedback on the system. Hope you have fun with the bells!

Linda—oh gosh—so sorry for the tremendous stress you are under right now!!! And it’s quite understandable that your immune system would take a hit given the circumstances. Sending you feel better vibes and prayers for your GC’s safe delivery.

Laura—Guess most runners are bound to get at least one of the “big five” injuries at some point in their career. Glad you know just how to treat yours successfully. Mine only became an issue recently during (and especially after) marathon training, and I suspect a heel lift given to me by my chiropractor played a role. Enjoy your speed drills tomorrow.

Forgot I wanted to do the fit test for CLX, so I did that first, followed by BOSU Ski Conditioning and a short add-on EXT session.

OK, friends—have a GREAT week—will catch up with ya’s on the weekend!

I Heart Cheetahs!

Hi there everyone :) Posting on the weekend is usually once or not at all. I am happy to make it here on a Sunday evening.

Laura- I really appreciated your explanation of your choice to live in Uganda. I thought you may have started out as missionaries. You are really a remarkable family. Congratulations on the puppies! And it is good to hear DS8 is on the mend.

Cathy- We will be here when you are. Lurk when you have time, but by all means I applaud you for sticking your bustin' morning workouts! Hugs to you!

Carole- Glad you had a dry run today! All my boys were glad to have the Eagles win as they are Donovan McNabb fans. DS15 is a #1 fan of the Eagles even though the rest of the family are Bills fans first. ...Oh dear, I am so sorry for your Dear Niece. you were so thoughtful to go with them to the vet.

Wendy- IA workout whn you have the time, because there are days when the time is just not there.

Linda- Yes~ rest up and get healthy!!! Wow about your DD. She is really going to be needing you. I will keep her in my prayers.

Karen- Are you having fun with the KB workouts yet? I am an AOS fan. I only have a15# KB to date, but I use a 20# Db to substitute. Good with the dog adoption.

Christine- How has your weekend been? Are you enjoying the quiet with out the workers andtheir noisy equipment there.

Posh- I thought of you today as it was a big cooking day here. We had stuffed shells, caesar salad, and chocolate chip cookies.

Today was 3 miles with iTread 13 sprints. I am trying to keep the hills in my workouts So I did all sprints with hills except the first one. (flat, 3%, 4%, 4%, 5%, 4%) I followed that up with PS Legs, emphasis heavy. My glutes are already sore!

Hi Shelly! Hi Dallas! Hi Jackie!

Hello Ladies.

Today's work out ended up being Iron Core Way Volume 1 done entirely with my 30# bell. It was a nice challenge. I utilized almost all of the rest time between rounds/circuits since I was using such a heavy weight.

Judy: Glad you could pop in this evening. Always nice to "see" you. Good going with the incline sprints. I will raise my incline when Grace doesn't call for it quite often just to challenge myself a bit more.

Cathy: Don't know when/if you'll read this since you will be checking in only on weekends for now but good luck with CLX! I am excited to hear your thoughts on it. Good job doing the fit test. I am bad and never do that stuff. Yay for the triceps DOMS! :D

Linda: ((((HUGS))))) Lots of stress these days. No wonder you got sick. Take care of yourself and get well again. Sorry your DD is going through such a tough time with her pregnancy. My thoughts and prayers are with her.

Carole
: Sorry to hear about your niece and her dog. That is so sad. I had to take my dog to be put down by myself and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. No, I take that back. Watching him suffer at home being so sick was the hardest thing but putting him down was extremely heart wrenching as well. I cried for days. Time will make it easier though. She did the right thing. Good job on the 18 miles and pushin' through the cold.

Laura: I hope you can find all of the pups homes. Can you take pics and post a few for us perhaps? I'd love to see them. :) Glad you enjoyed your rest day. Have fun with your speed drills tmrw!

Karen: Right now I am trying to build up my base mileage slowly. My first TNT meeting is in less then 2 weeks so I have to assume that training will start shortly there after. I sure hope so. My mary is in the beginning of May. That's not much time! :confused:

All caught up so I guess this means good night!:D

Thanks Judy. :) It was TOUGH but I got through it somehow! The presses for shoulders were especially tough with such a heavy weight. YEOWZAS!:eek:

So I've done 2.5 weeks of strictly kb's. It's time for a short break...to let my blisters heal. :p

That being said, I have decided to take on Amy's Slo Mo Challenge this week. I have had this dvd for ages and only went through the 3 day split one time and never tried any of the premixes. I'm not sure how I'll do it yet but I plan to begin on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.