Cheetahs! Saturday 8/19/06

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Mornin' Cheetahs!:)

Happy Saturday to all....

My lower body is sore this morning. I guess I really gave it the "what-for" yesterday between the weight work and the run.}( LOL

Thanks Laurie and Carole for sharing my happiness last night! I didn't see it until this morning though. I was WIPED OUT. I went to bed pretty early....

For those who may not have read my last post last night...I completed the 5 miles on the TM yesterday!:7 I slowed the pace down .2 from my norm and I'm glad that I did or I'm not sure I would have made it all the way...

I really have no idea what's on tap for today. I'm physically beat. It's a cardio only day so I don't have to worry about weights. If I do anything, it will be light. I may just rest and give myself recup time. I will be out most of the day anyway. I have time to work out this morning if I want to though so I'll see how I feel....

The 4 miler outside didn't knock me out this way BUT my pace was a bit slower AND I wasn't sick at all so I'm sure that has alot to do with it. I felt fine at the gym but the bug is still hangin' on...I feel it now. x(

Hope everyone has a great day!

WAKE UP, CHEETAHS!!!!

Just cause it's saturday doesn't mean you can all sleep in!!!;)

I know, I know...you are all hittin' the road already...OKAY, I will forgive you then!:p

Marcia: Good luck in your golf tourney! Let us know how you did!!!

GM, Cheetahs!

It's a rest day for me...but I feel pumped to do SOMETHING! Maybe I'll go for a bike ride later or dust off MM. I didn't go nuts last night - ate a few wings, and well, OK, so I HOUSED the crab fries, but I limited myself to 3 Corona Lights. So all in all, there was SOME damage control going on. :)

Wendy :: GREAT job on the 5 miles! Your progress is fantastic. Pretty soon you will be out on the road with that Garmin clockin' those miles. That thing is just too much fun, isn't it? Good idea to listen to your body and take the rest if you need it.

Hi to Carole, Jess (who's off runnin' her half), Elaine, Christine, Laurie, Laura, Barb, Barbara, Shelly, Thomasina, Katie, Colleen, Gayle, Judy, Marcia, Pamela, Mattea, Natalie (welcome!), and anyone else who comes by.

Have a great Saturday!
cathy :)

Happy Saturday Chheetahs!!!

Wendy- GREAT GOING ON 5 MILES YESTERDAY!!!!!!
I believe you are hooked now!

Cathy- enjoy your rest day today :)

Good luck to Jes on that half.

Welcome Fitlibrarian!

Yesterday's very hilly run was 4.3 as figured out by Mapmyrun.com . My mind says run again today, but my conscience says NO. I took off last week from running and did Cathe intervals and circuits. So, this week I'm thinking 3 days of running is enough this week. Next week I can do 4 days.

GTG take DD to her swim practice.

TTFN

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Just a quickie this a.m. I'm off to work in about 18 minutes and I still have wet hair and no make up on:eek: :eek:

No running yesterday but PUB gave the upperbody a good challenge. I ran 5K this a.m. in 29:45, that's my best time yet and my first run under a 6 minute K.:)

Way to go on the 5 miles Wendy!!!

Hi Cathy:) and Judy :)

Jess, can't wait to hear about your 1/2

Happy Saturday to all that follow:7

Take Care
Laurie:)

Good morning cheetahs

Wendy...I can imagine you would be beat today!! I am so happy for your 5 miles...:)...and beng sick too...wow!! Resting might be a good idea today....

Cathy...I pretty much stick to one legged calf raises with a dumbell. 25 to 40 lbs a dumbell depending on what workout I am doing. I rarely follow Cathe's calf raise work as I always do mine.

Jess...hope you do awesome in your half. Give us all the details...:)

Katie...nothing at all wrong with having a rest day every week. I hope your toes do better in your long run Sunday!

Laura...how scary with your Dad! I do hope he is feeling much better today. There are some vitamins you can take to help with mood swings...I'll look in my book and get back to you..:)..I also take alot of vitamins, I'll try and get a list together.

Elaine...I do think rest days are especially important during marathon training...I bet your 8 will feel good today! I have not tried a CC workout. I know Christine has done both. I do love the iTrain ones though even if they are tough. I would just suggest for you to try one. I think iClimb might be better than iTread for an Elliptical. I believe iClimbs are $3.99 for a 20 min workout and $4.99 for a 40 min workout. I know you feel a bit fearful of lifting heavy for your legs but what I found over the years for me was that heavy lifting actually strengthened my legs for running and I used that as injury prevention. Freestyle is also good, and I did that mainly because I needed something new. I prefer heavy lifting now for my legs as I want more time for my upper body and doing Freestyle took ALOT of time. I still believe people that know they have a tendency to bulk with heavy weights would benefit greatly from Freestyle. I do think for some runners that want speed that heavy lifting a couple of times a week could help, as that did help me.

Christine...I cannot belive you go to the dentist without novicaine!!! YEOW...I must have a wimpy mouth...you don't like the drooling effect you get with novicaine!!! I will work with the resistance thru the iClimbs and hope that my legs will get stronger...Good job with Bodymax. Great news about your heel!!!

Tomasina!! Good to see you...:)...you have been swamped. We do miss you lots...couldn't find a slug smiley (I cannot think of you as a slug anyways!)..thanks for praying for John....he is doing so much better. This Elliptical does fold up somewhat so that was the factor in buying it!

Shelly...good job on the 16. Your DH sounds like mine...."in bed snoring". Since you have been working your legs already i would just cut back about 4-6 weeks before the event. Or at least don't increase the weight amount. I have sometimes done more endurance type workouts 2-3 weeks before the event. The week right before don't do anything for the lower body but your tapering runs.

Welcome Natalie! So you are training for a half? I imagine getting back to work and school with the kids can make working out tough! I can try and help with a rotation if you let me know what kind of workouts you have been doing and what kind you like and have time for...:)...good luck on the 8 miles today.

There is a benefit yard sale at a local High School today to help with some of John's medical expenses. I understand the gym is packed with furniture, workout stuff and alot of nice things that have been donated!!! I am so happy the community came together for John...almost makes me cry. I am going to go by there after church this morning...:)

I am hoping to get in a short Elliptical workout , some kickbox and floor legs.

Have a great day...:)

Morning ladies. Date night was fun last night. We were going to go see the new Pirates of the Carribean movie, but we were both too tired so we actually just stayed at home. It was nice though because whenever we don't have DD we always go out. This was the first time we just enjoyed a nice quiet house for the evening.

This morning I have on tap to do SJP. I'm also excited to do this because DD is still and the Grandparents and DH is at work for awhile, so I have the house all to myself. Which means I can blast the music as loud as I want.

Wendy - AWESOME job on the 5 miler girl!!! Boy you are picking up your mileage quickly. That's so great!

Cathy - Enjoy your rest day. A bike ride sounds so nice. I'm jealous, it's like a million degrees here in AZ.

Judy - I usually only do 3 days of running a week. Maybe I'll work my way up to 4 days at some point, but for now my body just gets too tired if I run to often.

Laurie - Great job on the run and the time. That's wonderful!

Carole - What a wonderful community you have. I hope they are able to raise a lot of money!

Hope everyone has a great day! Off to go sweat!!!

Katie

Good morning! I'm going to do an 8 mile pace run, core and GS BSB today.

Wendy! Congratulations on the 5 miles.:) :) That's just great and is going to make your upcoming 5K seem easy!

Carole, I have not lifted heavy with lower body workouts because I have always thought that focusing more on endurance would be best. But, if you say that lifting heavy could be better then I think I'll give it a try. Everything I have ever read about running and weight lifting says to do higher reps, less weight but I am still doing more than suggested. I do not have a problem with bulking muscles, just bulking fat! so after St. George going heavy on lower body will definately be a goal. I know there is not a one size fits all solution but I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and it just dawned on me that I bench press with more weight than I use for sqats! I just love having new things to work toward since it keeps me motivated!:) Wish I could visit the sale for John since I'm sure I'd contribute by buying stuff! I love to go to garage sales and look through thrift stores. Do you go to church on Saturday?

Christine, San Jose is fine too! I hope we can schedule a GTG that everyone can make it to. I'm happy to hear that your foot is fine!

Jess, Patiently waiting for your race report.............

Cathy, Mmmmmm. Wings and fries and Corona!! So what was it? MM or a bike ride? Or both?

Judy, Sounds like you are playing it safe and smart with the running.

Katie, How did SJP go? That is one workout that I have never done. I am not a huge fan of hi-lo so I have shied away from that one.

Hi Natalie! When and where is your upcoming 1/2? Welcome!

Hi busy Thomasina! Glad you could stop by for a minute!

Talk to you all later!

Laurie, Great job on the 5K!

Good morning! Slept in til 0730 today...heaven! No running today, just some crosstraining. It'll be HCE #1 (circuit) and some core work. Then a nap cuz it's back to work tonight:)

Jess- :7 :7 :7 Good luck!!! We're all eagerly waiting for your race report!!

Natalie- Welcome to our check-in!!! You want some serious motivation in your running you've come to the right place!!! I hear you about your busy schedule with school starting. My twin sister is a teacher and she basically has no life for the first few weeks, and she has no kids! Fitting in running workouts can be quite a challenge, especially training for the longer distances! I'll bet Carole can help you with a good rotation, she's a fountain of knowledge and experience. Where and when is your HM?

Wendy- (I should have put this at the top) WTG on the 5 Miles!!!!
:7 :7 :7 :7 What a terrific milestone accomplishment for you!!!!!!
Don't feel bad about going slower. That's always the best strategy when going for a new distance. You asked me yesterday about walking during my long runs. I do slow down to a brisk walk for my water breaks (about every 2-3 miles) for about 15 seconds. I do this also during races but for a shorter period.

Cathy- Have a great rest day and if your body is telling you it wants to DO something go for it!! A bike ride sounds nice.

Thomasina- how wonderful to hear from you, busy cheetah! I'm glad things will be slowing for you somewhat! 3 teenagers to buy for!!!!!! Ouch, you do have my sympathy!

Judy- You sound well on the road to recovery with your hip! I think limiting your running to 3 days this week is the wisest course of action.

Laurie- another record breaking cheetah!! 5k in under 30min.....
AWESOME!! Keep up the good work!

Carole- Thank you so much for the advice on lower body workouts and tapering. We can always count on you for great suggestions. I was thinking it would be best to stick to endurance workouts 3-4 weeks out and cut it out entirely the last week. I am so touched by your community coming together for John! That has got to be a great
inspiration for him as well!

Katie- I really don't know how you manage running at all during the summer down there in that oven you call Phoenix! Have a great time with SJP today....pump up the volume and have at it!

Elaine- I agree with Carole about heavy weight training for the legs. I go against all the traditional knowledge and find that it is of great benefit to me as a runner. But I definitely will taper it before my marathon. Good luck with your 8 mile pace run today.... I assume that is a marathon pace for you?

Great chattin with y'all....hello to all who are following!

ShellyC

OK, sorry for the quickie post!! It looks like you're all eagerly awaiting my report!!

So.... like I had posted before, my first half last year was a 2:07 & so my goal was to beat that time, and I was hoping for under 2:05 but really wanting to go sub-2. So, did I do it????

YES I DID!!! 1:59:19!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPEE!!! I felt great & strong through it all.

So..... I'll post more details & pics in a bit! Just thought I'd let you know my time!!

Hugs,

WAY TO GO JESS!!!! YOU'RE AWESOME!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Elaine - SJP went great! I love that workout. It is a total sweat fest for me. SJP one of my favorite Cathe workouts, but I don't do it as often as a lot of her others. I think it's because it's so long.

Shelley - I run at 5:30 am just as the sun is starting to rise. If I go any later it's way too hot. That's why, until it cools down, I have to do my long runs on the treadmill at the gym. I don't like the heat!

Well, I'm off to take a shower and then to go pick up DD.

Katie

My Half Marathon is is 35 days. I have built up to the 12 mile point. On Saturdays that my running partner (a VERY busy mother of 8) can not run with me my husband bikes along side me. :) I love him for that!! Anyway I think our family will go to church tonight and I will run my 8 miles tomorrow morning. I still feel like crap.

Carole I WOULD LOVE YOUR HELP! What AWT type workouts do you suggest for me for Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Remember I need to keep my WO at 60 minutes or less. THIS IS WHY I LOVE CATHE'S PRE-MIXES!!!

Thanks all. I look forward to getting to know you.

Natalie

OK, here's the full report!

My awesome half marathon report!! ;o)
I am on such a high!! I seriously had a terrific race. I wasn't sure how it was going to go to start with after 3 trips to the bathroom, but then I was feeling much better!! And my legs felt great when I got up so I was happy about that! 2 days rest was good for me! Erin, Melissa, & I rode together & we had our usual chatter as we drove the 35 min there. We got there about half an hour early & got our race info & had some time to hit the bathroom one more time. It was a good turnout, they said the best turnout they've had! (over 300 people so still a small race!)

My friends Erin & Melissa were just planning to do this as a training run, their goal was around 2:10 but I wanted to do better than that. (my first half was 2:07:26 so I wanted to beat that) And one of Erin's other friends Amy was going to run with them also. I started out w/ them for the first mile & then they slowed down a bit so I decided to just keep on pace. I wanted to stay right close to 9's, not too fast but not too slow. I was feeling good.

Everyone was very friendly so I found lots of people to chat with. I ended up running the bulk of it with 2 guys who are training for the Chicago marathon. They were both very friendly & put up w/ my non-stop chatter. One of the guys said that talking must be my fuel of choice for running!! VERY true! Talking really helps me not focus so much on the running & times. So anyway, in a small world type of thing I found out that one of the guys knows one of my neighbors!! (and this is the neighbor that my dog jumped in her pool a couple mos ago!! ) It was so strange, small world!

I just felt really strong & great through the whole race. I took 2 vanilla Gu's (one at 6 & one at 10) & took a quick walk/ drink at each water stop (around every 2 miles). My legs felt great & never even a twinge of pain. I think taking it easy for 2 days was really good for me. As I came over the last little hill (it was a pretty flat course which was great since I'm used to more hills!), I saw my dh & girls. Then they saw me & started yelling, Go momma go, go momma go & I seriously got all teary eyed. That really helped me finish strong & I still felt good enough at the end & I was able to kick it up on the track. (the last part was a lap around the HS track) So.... I beat my goal time & felt soooo awesome when I finished. Greg & the girls were super proud of me too.

Mile splits:

1 ~ 8:35
2 ~ 8:45
3 ~ 9:04
4 ~ 9:02
5 ~ 9:07
6 ~ 9:22 (walked for a gel & longer water break)
7 ~ 8:54
8 ~ 9:11
9 ~ 9:24
10 ~ 9:22 (walked for another gel)
11 ~ 9:16 (I knew I was close to a sub 2 by then!)
12 ~ 9:11
13 ~ 8:56
And the last .15 (according to my Garmin- this finished up on the HS track) ~ 7:21!!

Average pace: 9:04, so I was thrilled!! Total time: 1:59:19 ~ 9th in my Age Group (25-29 for one more year!)

Erin & Amy were right around 2:08 & Melissa was at 2:11, so they did great too! So I shaved over 8 min off my last year's time!!

I do have some pics that I'll post later! (you should know by now that I'm a camera finatic!)

Hugs,
Jess

I didn't get a chance to welcome you properly, Natalie!! You will do great on your half!! Good luck w/ your 8 mile run!!

Hugs,

Congratulations Jess :7 :7 :7 What a fabulous performance and you have every right to feel very proud of yourself!!!

ShellyC

CONGRATULATIONS JESS!!!!:) :D :7 I am thrilled for you, finishing under 2:00!! Wow, is all I can say!! You have worked so hard, stayed so commited and positive; it's a truly beautiful thing!! You are in awesome stead for your marathon. Inspring Girl!!!:) Thanks for sharing the great pics!

Take Care
Laurie:)

AWESOME JOB JESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm doing the cheetah dance for you!!!!!!

Isnt is exciting when you do better than you plan! I also took off over 8minutes from my last half. I know how you where feeling!!! I was on cloud 9 for days and days. I couldnt get your pictures to pull up for me,I will try again later.

carole,yes I would appreciate the info on vitamins and such. thank you!

My dad is feeling much better today. I have to take him to his doctor on friday to adjust meds and see what else he is suppose to do.

today I had a workshop for hand splinting to go to,so I am usind today as a rest day and will run tomorrow. I am hoping my new elliptical will only improve my runs!!!keeping my fingers crossed!

chat with everyone later!!!!!

Hi Cheetahs!

Wow, there's so much good news!:)

Way to go Jess! It sounds like you had a fabulous race. You should be so proud of yourself. :)

Congrats Wendy on the 5 miler! I bet you felt great afterwards.

Carole, I'm so happy John is improving, and also that the community has rallied around your family to show their love and support. I sincerely pray he continues to improve.

Cathy, enjoy your rest day. A bike ride sounds great. I've been biking lately, and except for the flat last Sunday, it's been great fun.

Hi Elaine, I hope you enjoy your 8 miler today!

Welcome Natalie! Good luck on your upcoming 1/2. :)

Today I went to the gym with my bil. It's one of those new 24hr gyms (FYI If you're into sports and/or "celebs", Shaq owns it and will be there for the grand opening next week.) Anyway, my bil bought a membership for dh, but dh doesn't go, so I went today. (I've been in a rut lately. I want to work out, but I'm just not interested in any of my dvds or running on the treadmill. Outdoor running, my fave, is usually out because of the weather or my schedule -- except on Sundays.) Besides, I might be back at work soon, (part of the reason I've been mia, but I haven't said anything because I don't want to jinx it. :)) and outdoor running will definitely be limited to weekends at that point. I took a lifting class (1 hr), followed by 1hr of turbo kicks (basically Chalene's Turbo Jams, but live). It was fun working out with people. I'll probably do it again, but I don't think I'll join. It's a little too far to be convenient. (It's about 15-20 min away, and I live in walking distance of Lady of America, 7 min from La Fitness, 10 min from Bally's, and 7 min from Platinum Fitness, not to mention a number of smaller gyms). The new equipment is nice, and it was nice taking the class with my bil. Also, the kids gym is nice too.

Hi everyone -- Mattea, Barb, Barbara, Judy, Christine, Laura, Laurie, Gayle, Thomasina, Shelly, Marcia, Karen, Karin. I hope I didn't forget anyone!

Tomorrow's my anniversary (12 years to a wonderful man :)), and my dd is flying to London with my mil for 9 days (I'm going to miss my baby :(, but I know she'll love this experience with her grandmother), so I may not pop in again until Tuesday.

Have a great weekend!
Pamela

Congrats, Jess, on your PR! WTG!! :) You look super strong at the finish there. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Carole :: how wonderful to see the community coming together like that. I'm sure that's gotta give John a real boost. Thanks for the tip - I will add calf raises to my routine. Do you do them every day?

Laurie :: congrats on your PR as well! They don't call this group the cheetahs for nothin'!

Laura :: glad to hear your father's feeling better.

Katie :: glad you enjoyed your date night and some alone time today.

Elaine & Shelly :: hope you enjoyed your workouts today. Sounds like a full load as usual!

Pamela :: Happy Anniversary. I understand your dilemma. I'm SO tempted to join Cathe's gym but it's also 20 minutes from my house (45 min from work), and I'm just not sure that makes any sense. I'm gonna hold off for now. Sounds like a dream trip for your daughter ~ how lucky!

Well, it turned into a true rest day today - no bike, no MM, and no guilt. :) Will run & plug in a yoga session in the AM.

Have a great night-
cathy :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.