Cheetahs: All I Want for Christmas is a New Garmin

LauraR

Cathlete
OK, girls. I'm sold. I've been looking at these online and they are awesome. Only problem, I can't get one here in Uganda! :mad: And overseas shipping is slow and costly. I need to find someone who is flying here to visit--pronto.

Gloria—I know what you mean about being nervous about training. I’m only doing a ½, but every once in while I think, “WTH was I thinking?”

Wendy—In regard to marathon training and STS . . . TXGin posted a question to Cathe a few weeks ago. Gin is trainng for a 1/2m and was wondering if she could do that and do STS at the same time. Cathe didn’t recommend it. Now, Cathe is not the end-all of fitness advice. And I think Carole said that she was planning to do STS in conjunction with her marathon training. But I just wanted to chime in on what I had read. RE: why we moved to Africa, I’ll make that a separate post. No, I haven’t answered that question yet. :D

Wendi—I think Shovel Max and Hay Max will be great workouts. Definite upper body work, and potential cardio too. :)

Karen—((((Hugs.))))) When I was in high school, I helped my mom “house sit” and “baby sit” for friends of ours whose mom had alzheimers so they could have some time away. It was heart-breaking, an d I wasn’t even a family member. What you described sounds just awful—I’m so sorry for your difficult situation. Sorry about your depression and missed workouts. You know, we only have a certain amount of emotional energy—and when we’re using it up on other things, it’s hard to fit in the workouts. ITA agree with the other Cheetah who said that the workouts will come back. Don’t add guilt to your plate right now.

And, Any Cheetah—I’ve been able to pick up from the threads the gist of what is going on with Karen’s mom. But I don’t know the story. Would someone besides Karen be willing to bring me up to speed? Karen, please don’t feel like you need to be the one to relate the story again! (((Hugs.)))

Carole—OK. I’m online looking at Garmins right now. The only hitch will be that I’ve got to get it here from the States. Your six miles in the snow sounds wonderful right now. I ran a very sweaty 6 miles in the heat here this morning!

Brighton—Yes, our DHs sound like they’re on the same page—good sports about the veg food, but cautious, skeptical. Mine has been on the same journey as yours of no longer craving garbage and actually enjoying good food. He used to like to run or lift but had no interest in adjusting his diet. He finally figured out that was a key component to looking the way that he wanted to. It has been great to have someone else in the house supporting and encouraging me in healthy eating choices. With 3 kids who want mac & cheese and hot dogs, it’s hard to be motivated to cook healthy if I’m the only one who’ll eat it! Lol’d at your description of a tempo run: “comfortably hard.” Love it. Also lol’d at your equation of snow + running!

Jackie—I’ve read that on a first 1/2m that the goal should be to finish and not to try to achieve a certain time. However, the sites have also projected that with my current running speed, I ought to be able to do the ½ in about 2:18. So, we’ll see. I’m going to be pretty pumped just to finish! Thanks for asking.

Christine—Yes! I’ve tried to get train tickets in India. It took a friend of ours (who happened to work for the RR) a whole week to get them for us the last time I was there. It was crazy. Also, one time I tried to get travelers checks in Italy. It took 4 hours—and that’s a 1st world country! We’re definitely spoiled in America, but I do have to confess that I love efficiency! Thanks re: the take on vegetarian eating that includes fish. I had wondered if it might be something like that.

Dallas—Fun that you have a snow day. Glad that someone else understands my compulsive need to be accurate? :D

Judy—Yes, it’s definitely hot here. I discovered this morning that I really must be done by 8am with my runs. About that time, I was thinking that I would be happy to endure Shovel Max for a little coolness. When I came home and was getting my post-workout drink, I hovered over my deep freeze for an extra minute. It was glorious!! I read one site that said that for every 5 degrees above 60 that you should account for an extra 30 seconds per mile. That was so satisfying!!

Cathy—I’m so honored that you liked my thread title yesterday, since you’re the guru of creative thread titles! As I told Carole, I’m looking into a Garmin. Oh, yes. Love the foam roller. My knees don’t hurt me at all when I run now, and that was the whole reason that I had stopped.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement on my running time for the tempo. I was feeling pretty good about it myself. Back in Feb when I returned to running, the best I could do was 31:10 for 3 miles, and that was on the treadmill. So 26:56 on the road was really awesome for me.

Today I did 10K (6.2 miles I think?), and did it in 61:17. It was funny because I felt like I was almost floating for the first 3 miles, but at the beginning of mile 4 a bear jumped on my back and never got off! How is that possible?! Granted, mile 4 IS a tough one on this route. It starts with my own personal little Heartbreak Hill: 800m of gradual but steady climb. But still . . . I really never got my second wind. BUT I did make it through. I felt in some ways as if this was the test of my 1/2m capability. It’s the first week of “real” training, and this is the long run, and it’s the shortest long run that I do. If I could make it through . . . I’m in. If not, might as well quit now. AND I DID IT! However, I think I’m going to choose a flatter route for my first attempt at 8 miles next week!

I promise I won't hog starting the thread, but I'm 9 hours ahead of CST, so I have a jump on the day from here! :D

Good morning, Laura, and all who follow!
santa2.gif

Almost missed the thread there for a second. Better put the specs on, huh?
22.gif

[FONT=&quot]LauraOh gee, you're embarrassing me...but thanks!...How long does the mailing process typically take over there? I can only imagine the cost. The last time I sent a package (containing 4-5 bags of Count Chocula) to my cousin overseas, it cost $30 (!!) to send...Of course, you are going to be able to run[/FONT][FONT=&quot]—and rock[/FONT][FONT=&quot]—[/FONT][FONT=&quot]that [/FONT] ½! IMO, no single training run can serve as a measure of ability. For me, 16 was hell whereas 18 was positively Zen-like. Some runs are just inexplicably better (or worse) than others. Sounds corny, but I always did better when I practiced positive self-talk and visualization in the days leading up to my long, long runs. Here is a link to a recent thread where Karen explained what's going on medically with her mom[FONT=&quot]: [/FONT] http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1783167#post1783167

Later this morning will be Imax 2 (first try). Then it's off to lunch.

Have a wonderful day![FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Cathy--Thanks for your confidence that I can run and *rock* the 1/2. Thanks, too, for the perspective on distance running. I ran track all through high school, but I never did distance. So this is all so new to me. I definitely need the encouragement you guys are giving. I'm so glad I joined this thread.

BTW, there was one run a week or so back where I was just not in the mood. It wasn't that it was so hard--I just didn't want to be out of bed at all, let alone running. So as I head up the first hill I have to chant, "I am a Cheetah, I am a Cheetah, I am a Cheetah." The mental image of all you ladies, plus the thought of the graceful bounding animal helped me mentally get in the mood. :D:D:D OK. Cheesy, yes, I know. But it WORKED.

Oh, and I forgot . . .

airmail from the US to Uganda usually takes 4 weeks. Not bad, but not so fast.

And . . .

thanks so much for the link to the old thread where Karen told the story about her mom. That was so helpful. And HEARTBREAKING.

Good morning cheetahs

Laura..I surely hope someone travels there and can deliver the Garmin, you will be so happy!! Don't sweat the troubles in the 6 miles. You will have runs like that. Hill running can suck all the life out of you sometimes, but it does get easier! And you did push through it and complete the distance. I would agree that you might try a flatter course for your 1st 8 miler.

Cathy...great news for the homework-less weekend!! Oh, cheese in a can would be easy!! It was very light snow during the run Thursday. Running 6 days was not so bad, I miss my EXT though. All your smileys were way cute yesterday...:)..have fun with Imax2, that one has my favorite music choices.

Brighton...well the snow Thursday was nothing, very sparse. But yesterday the roads were somewhat icy, it was kinda like ice skating in running shoes!! As I have never owned a TM I would for sure go crazy doing long runs on one! In Calif our weather is never very severe IMO. Good luck with your 8 miler today.

Jackie...I avoid wrapping in boxes at all costs, I love using the holiday bags. I have those days when I want to accomplish a lot and it kinda gets away from me. I am just glad to have a weekend without packing and moving, I can finally get things done here. Hope your drive to work yesterday was not too bad due to the weather.

Christine...no snow yesterday, not a chance again until Monday. But the temps are still down there. The drivers here are crazy no matter what the weather, I get tailgated a lot on the winding country roads (and I am not driving slow just the speed limit)...idiots!! I am so happy for you that your Dad will be visiting! How much time do you have off?

Judy...sounds like you got tons of snow.

Dallas...I do like How the Grinch Stole Christmas When my Dad was alive we always referred to him as the Grinch! So you think you have piriformis now? I good deep massage in that area does wonders. Also sitting on a tennis ball and rolling on that painful spot. I do know how frustrating injuries can be...I do hope you will be back to running soon. How is DH feeling today? Not a fun time to be sick.

Yesterdays run was a bit slippery. No, I never fell but ice skated a bit on a few downhills!! Today I am doing an LIC circuit with upper using my EXT for the cardio.

Have a great day...
elf.gif

Good Morning.

Cathy: Have fun with IMAX2. Once you get it, it's so much fun! It's pretty simple choreo to learn to since the mini-step routines are repeated 6 times each with a blast in between so you have lots of time to learn it. Can't wait to hear what you think. :)

Laura: Looking forward to your post about why you moved to Africa. Thanks for the feedback on STS. I have my own doubts as to weather I'll be able to do it but I will probably attempt it anyway. If I find it's not working for me I can always switch gears. :) Yes, Garmins are awesome. I have the bottom of the barrel version and I love it. I think you should get one. I believe you will find it to be well worth the weight...and the shipping charges. :)

Yesterday's work out did not happen until late in the afternoon. I couldn't get myself motivated to work out for most of the day. Then I was looking at the final week of this rotation and decided to do it backwards. The last work out is a kettlebell work out and I wanted to try out my new dvd and bell I had just received so that's what I did! I loved the new work out though it froze on me in a few spots. Not sure if I should write and see if they will replace it for me or not...I guess it couldn't hurt, huh? I got to try out my 30# bell for double arm swings, lat rows and lunges and loved it!:D

Today's work out will be a run. The final 5 miler of the week to make my mileage. I MIGHT take Centergy as well but I'm not sure about that yet....

Last edited:
Wendy--When you say "bottom of the barrell" what do you mean. DH is techno-savvy one in our house, so I've co-opted him into looking at them with me. He was suggesting that I NOT get one that is low end.

I actually found a Forerunner 305 at Wal-Mart for $180. That looks like a steal from what I've seen on other sites. So, tell me, you Garmin Queens, is that a good one? :D

Gotta catch up on y'day's posts now...:)

Cathy: WOO HOO for no homework this weekend! :D I hope you can make it to VT. I am waiting to be able to go skiing again myself so I can tackle that huge mountain I learned on last season!:p:D

Dallas: Have fun with those bells. I know I will! Glad you and your kids had a fun snow day y'day. We got a mixed bag here so Joey had school. Looks like it could be icey out there this morning. I hope I don't have any problems getting to the gym later on. Sending good vibes your DH's way so he can get better!

Judy: My mom is always hanging her clothes outside on the line in the nice weather. She loves it. So how did your DD enjoy the yoga class? Glad you got her car out of the snow. Got your card. Beautiful family. Thank you! :)

Christine: Oh your dad flies in tmrw? How nice. Enjoy the time with him. How long will he be with you? How was dinner last night? My kb legs actually didn't bother me DURING the run but I was very aware of them afterwards. LOL So I took my first stab at swings with my 30# bell y'day. I thought for sure my legs would be rebelling today but so far they feel fine! Go figure. :confused:

Jackie: How was your drive into work y'day? Sorry the wind kept you up. Any fun plans for this weekend? It's the long runs that I have mixed feelings about as far as mary training but being able to run them with others will help get me through...especially in the COLD temps! :eek:

Brighton: You are gonna do great with your mary training and you will have company in myself and Gloria. :) Enjoy the time with DH since he's on vaca. I wouldn't know how to handle it if DH took off for a week or more and we weren't going away on vacation. I think I'd strangle him after the first 2 days! :eek::D Thankfully he will never do that since he doesn't get paid vacation time. Phew! :p

Carole: Jersey drivers are no thrill in the snow. You have the idiots in the SUV's who think they are invincible and drive too fast and too crazy and then you have the people who drive soooo slow that they might as well walk because they will get there faster! LOL Running 6 days a week...wow, I can't even phathom that. You go girl! :)

Karen: ((((HUGS)))) I am glad your mom is in hospice care. They know what she needs right now. I am sorry you are going through this. As you know I watched my BF go through it with her mom, though the tale is very different. I also watched my mom go through it with her mom when I was a little girl. I don't know what to say....everyone deals with this kind of thing in their own way. You do what you have to do to get through it. We will always be here for you when you want to vent, cry or whatever. I wish I lived closer. I'd give you a REAL shoulder to cry on...The one thing I can say is that, although it is heart breaking, if your mom's situation is terminal then be happy that she is fading quickly. If she will not have quality of life then you do not want her to linger. It's even more painful for everyone involved. ((((HUGS again))))

Wendi: I'm afraid to ask but....How much show did ya get?

Last edited:
Wendy--When you say "bottom of the barrell" what do you mean. DH is techno-savvy one in our house, so I've co-opted him into looking at them with me. He was suggesting that I NOT get one that is low end.

I actually found a Forerunner 305 at Wal-Mart for $180. That looks like a steal from what I've seen on other sites. So, tell me, you Garmin Queens, is that a good one? :D

Laura, I have the Garmin 101. It's very basic but suits my needs just fine. It tracks everything I want and has some other cool functions on it like an interval time and such but it has no capability to transfer info to a PC like the newer models do and the unit is probably atleast twice the size of the newer ones. The newer ones are just like a watch. Mine is much bigger but it doesn't bother me.

Carolerunning in light snow I would enjoy. But that was sure an adventure for you yesterday, skating down the hills a bit. Glad you stayed upright! How is your mom doing? Did you ever share your thoughts with her?

LauraI have the 305, after owning a 201 previously. I would definitely recommend the 305 or up. I had some issues with the 201, and the Garmin tech support folks admitted flat-out it isn’t a good model. IA, you found an excellent price. Snap it up! BTW, cheesy doesn’t matter as long as it works!

Wendyyes, I do remember you saying that about Imax2. Glad you enjoyed your new workout and bell.

Last edited:
Hi Friends- I never made it back last night to add to my personals.

Laura- I agree with Cathy, with your history, you will be great in your half. Remind me again when is it? Wendi and I are doing a HM on March 8. I am praying that we don't have a snow storm that day.

Cathy- Imax2 was my first Imax, and I did it so many times! The Intensity Series was my first Cathe pre-order and I really did those work outs a gazillion times.

Wendy- I am impressed that you did lunges with the #30 pound KB. Did you have your KB over your head for them? My shoulders are to weak for that.

Jackie- still sending hugs and prayers to BIL !

Linda- Are you getting excited to see your grandchildren all mesmerized at Christmas?

Posh- Are you on vacation yet?

Carole- Wow: running 6 days in a week! You continue to be an inspiration! We did have a major snow storm. Even this morning with our efficient snow removal equipment and system of removal, there is still packed snow on the roads. Normally with in 24 hours we have pavement showing.

Shelly- did the storm reach you in southern PA?

Wendi- How about you ? Was it shovel max too?

It seems I have forgotten to share my workouts from Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday was my long run. And due to slush and ice.I did 9.25 miles on the TM. My pace ranged from 10:20-9:40 minute miles. And I forced myself to do 2 hills .5 miles and .7 miles on 4% grade. Thursday (later in the day) I did GS BSB and 2 chin ups and a 2" plank on the inverted BOSU. Yesterday I posted the Friday WO and today is a rest day.

We are headed out later this morning to watch DS15 game 2 hours from here. DS21 and DD17 went skiing now that the roads are plowed. Tonight we are having a holiday dinner with a group of friends at a fantastic Italian restaurant. yum!

Cathy--Thanks re: the Garmin info. That's good to know.

Judy--Yikes. 9.25 miles on a TM. Wow. Hope you had some great music or something. My 1/2 is on February 21. No chance of snow for it. :D

Happy Saturday Cheetahs!

Judy – Nice to be snowed in but to still have access to the club! Sorry your DD got her car stuck! You must have a steep driveway!

Dallas – Glad you had fun at the class parties!! Nice to have the last day cancelled, eh? No, still fighting the crud – I still have a stupid cough. It’s driving me batty. But I’m not doing the hard meds any more. :p

Cathy – YES! I’ve been doing the happy dance all day!! Loved the smiley!! I LOVE Vaca – although I always seem to work harder! :eek: It’s going to be one whirlwind of a week. But that’s good. You have 2 more days? I’ll be counting down with you! Enjoy your homework free weekend!!!! Oh, I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on IMax 2!! I love it.

Laura – I’d love to fly over and bring you a Garmin. Africa is on my “Must See” list. Train tickets in India – yeah, even DH, who is Indian, has his cousin get them for us. This guy just seems to know how to grease the proper wheels. :rolleyes: Good job on the run today! The longer mileage will get easier – it just takes time.

Carole – YES! It’s cold out there. I took Jimmy out this morning and the ground was frost covered and crunchy. I officially have 2 days off, but the company is giving us paid – Wed, Thurs and Fri of this week and next. Technically I am working next week 2 days, but I may or may not elect to go into the office. :D Love your little elf!

Wendy – Oh, I’m sorry the DVD froze on you. Hmm, I may do Providence today – it’s a circuit workout and it’s shorter… Thanks for the idea! Dinner was great last night. The restaurant makes the worlds best Mushroom Rigatoni! I savored every single bite. I have 2 26 pound bells – no 30 pounds yet.

YEAH! I’m free for basically two weeks! Although, of course, I’ll check emails and process orders… But… Feels good. I have one heck of a busy day today. I have a HUGE grocery list :eek: (party, Christmas dinner and just dinners in general), I have a hair cut appointment as does Anna and some where in there I need to get my nails done. I also have to cook two soups! (those I could do tomorrow if I have to). I also want to get in a circuit workout, so I guess I should get moving! Have a fabulous day all!

Hello Ladies!

Fly by for now. We already had basketball practice this AM. We have to leave shortly for two (back-to-back) soccer games. I didn't work out yet. I had some assorted household chores as well. However, I do plan to workout this afternoon...workout TBD. I was thinking tomorrow I'd *try* to do Disc 1 1RM. I got my 2009 Cathe calendar so that has me pumped to start the 1RM. :) Also, Newport came in the mail. However, I'll be waiting for Providence to start in w/KBs. ;)

~TTFN

Have a great day and workout. :) Hope to get back later.

Oh, I got CCv8 from Coach Sean on Facebook! He said it was a Christmas gift. :) Wasn't that sweet!??! He had added CCPP to one of my orders in the past too. What a guy!!! :D

Last edited:
Oh my goodness... where does the time go, it CANT already be Dec 20:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused:. I have 4 days off now... YAY! Don't go back to work until Christmas Eve. DH is spending Christmas with his parents and brother and and family in NJ so I will spend the holiday all by my lonesome except for my furry kids and will celebrate it by working I guess. I actually insisted he go to NJ. He wasn't happy to leave me here but his parents haven't had him home for Christmas in over 20 yrs... no reason to deprive them of seeing him just cuz I have to work... I'll survive! I'll get in some good sweaty runs and workouts between work shifts and be as happy as a clam;)

Took a rest day yest so today it's back to business. I'll be going for a 6 mile run and later a good leg workout.. I've been eyeing the CTX series and will go with Leaner Legs.

Christine- YAY-- you're officially off for the holiday now??? How nice to have such a busy but FUN schedule!! Enjoy your circuit and everything else.

Laura- I have the Garmin 205 which is the same as the 305 ... just doesn't have the heart rate monitor. I never monitor my heart rate during exercise (heresy I know) so didn't see much point in paying extra for that option. Anyway, depending on your needs you may want to check that out... it would be cheaper.

Judy- Yes, I finally got our first real snowfall/storm here in southern PA.. nothing at all compared to what you're dealing with. In fact, it rained all yest and it's all gone now! Not complaining at all. I love getting snow where it's around for only a few days then gone!!! Great job getting in that long run on the TM!!!

Wendy- WOW-- swingin around a 30lb kettlebell:eek::eek: Hope you got in a great run today!

Carole- Okay, so now you are a combo runner/skater???;) You are one DETERMINED runner I gotta say! Nothin keeps you from those roads super cheetah!!! Nice idea for a workout with LIC and the EXT!

Cathy- FIRST time with IMAX2??? GASP! Alot of people tag this one as their fav Cathe Cardio. It is somewhat easier then the other IMAXs but still a great tush kicker! I'm a bettin you'll love it! The IMAXs are great cross training for runners IMO.

That's all I have time for now... I'll try to check back in later and catch up with yesterday's posts.

tata

Shelly

Good morning Cheetahs!

Christine - Enjoy your time off work and have fun with your dad. How long will he stay? Enjoy your pampering day.

Judy - Lots of snow for you. Glad you were able to make it to the club for a run. Enjoy DS games and the holiday dinner.

Dallas - Know you were glad not to have to get out in the snow yesterday. Glad you enjoyed the parties. BIL is still in the hospital. He was finally able to have some liquid food yesterday. Sis said he wasn't complaining about the pain so much. Hope DH feels better. Did you get the Christmas gift snafu fixed?

Cathy - Yay for no homework for a couple of weeks!! Love all of your smileys. I like posting from home because I can see them. Work blocks all of the little lovlies.

Laura - Oh, I hope you find a way to get that Garmin. They are so much fun to have. My first half I thought I could do a 10 minute mile but that wasn't happening and I really didn't enjoy it that much. The next one I just went for enjoyment and had a much better run. So you have the right attitude about it. Just enjoy and finish. You will do great and I bet you will beat that time. Good job on the 6.2 miles with the hills! $180 for a Garmin 305 is a steal. I paid at least $200 from Amazon.

Carole - The drive to work was fine yesterday. I haven't found my wrapping paper yet. I probably have some Christmas bags around here too. Glad you have a weekend where you can get some things done around the house. I'm picturing you running and skating down the hill. Glad you had a safe run. Enjoy LIC and your EXT workout!

Wendy - Looked at some KB when I went to Target the other day. I still may one day give them a try. Have a good 5 mile run! My running partner helped me tremendously with my training. Someone there encouraging you is good. No plans today but do need to do a little cleaning and get the gifts wrapped.

Thanks everyone for your continued prayers for my BIL. Being able to have some liquid food is another good sign that he's recuperating. Will just miss seeing them for Christmas. I don't think they have missed a Christmas coming home.

Running partner is out of town for the weekend. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I did iTread #20 60 minutes. Got in some hills, interval running and sprints. It was a good run. Finished up with Yoga for Hips & Thighs.

Need to run. Got lots I want to get done today. Enjoy your day!

Shelly - Posting at the same time. Enjoy your 4 day stretch off. Sorry you have to spend Christmas all by yourself and you have to work too. Know you can handle it though. And, your furry friends will keep you company. Enjoy your run!

Good Afternoon Cheetahs. :)

I ran 5 steady state miles this morning so my mileage goal for the week has officially been met (and exceeded!)! YAY! :D I nixxed Centergy for today. I couldn't get my arse in gear early enough for that AND the run. Oh well.

I was listening to the radio on the way home from the gym (at noon) and it was only 23 degrees! BRRRR! No wonder why my car doors were frozen shut and my windshield wipers were frozen to the windshield when I went out to my car this morning! And that was AFTER it had warmed up for 10 minutes! :eek:

I think DS is getting sick. :( He is coughing, feels warm and ASKED to go up for his nap before it was time. I think a trip to the doctor's office may be an order on Monday. Can't have him sick for Christmas this year. That would stink. :(

Well, gotta go for now but I'll be back with personals a little later.

Buh Bye! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.