CHEETAHS ~Happy almost 4th of July~Tuesday

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Hey Cheetahs!

I guess Cathy isn't around this morning so I figured I'd get us started.

I am not sure what work out I'll do today. My back is very sensitive at this point. I am leaning towards PLB and then I can go to the gym or outside tmrw morning for a run if I want to.

I'm not feeling any DOMS in my upper body this morning and it surprises me. I thought my for sure my chest would be all fired up! }( There IS still time though so I'm not giving up hope! LOL :p

I'll be back in a bit w/the personals that I need to catch up on from last night!:)

Good morning, cheetahs! :) :) :)

I was here, posting at the same time. :)

Today calls for PLB + a run.

Catching up on yesterday’s personals…

Kristi :: yes, I believe Sunny & Marcia (not sure who else) have talked about doing the X in August, if I recall correctly. Wendy & I are going to do another round in January. That’ll be perfect timing for me as I imagine the cold weather will cut back my running some…Thanks ~ my Fourth will be fine – it’s not a day of sadness but rather fond remembrance.

Laurie :: I did not mind some of the poses, but others just felt ridiculous. I have been searching Collage, Amazon, and YJ for a good flexibility DVD – any recommendations, teach? Hatha would be preferred.

Wendy :: woohoo!! Congrats on getting inked – happy healing! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

OK, off to work out! Have a great day, everyone.

Cathy :)

"I always loved running...You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
-Jesse Owens

Cathy: Looks like we will most likely be doing PLB together today! It'll be so nice to have some company!:7 Thanks re: the tat. I felt like I had conquered the world when it was over with. I spent alot of time y'day being nervous about it and then we had to wait a good 30-40 minutes at the shop before I got in the chair. You know how waiting always makes it worse!:eek: LOL So anyway, once it was over and I could take a deep breath and breathe a sigh of relief I was THRILLED!:+

Gayle: That stinks that your poor DS gets motion sickness from long car rides. :-( Nice of you to allow him to hang back sometimes so that he doesn't have to deal with it. Your 4th sounds fun. I think I want to move in with you. You sound like you are always having such a good time!:+ :7 So what do you think you'll do once you complete your BBC rotation?

Sunny: So I was told my vid for my PT exam would be ready (transferred to dvd) by this past friday and that they would call me to come pick it up. Well, I never got a phone call so I called them y'day. I was told that they are very busy with weddings but it will be done THIS friday. IT BETTER BE! Why they promised me something they couldn't do and then didn't even have the respect to call me and let me know they need more time is beyond me! They better not &!?@# me! I have to have this thing in the mail no later then July 15th! That gives me a week's leeway now that they are saying they need another week to finish it! It better get done!!!!!!...PHEW! I feel better now that I got that off my chest! Thanks for listening!:7

Jess: Congrats on being sooooo close to completing the X! WOO HOO!

Amy: Congrats on the new running distance! It's such a rush to run a little farther, isn't it? I've never been to a Trader Joe's but it's all the rage on these boards. I'm gonna have to check one out! I also need to go to Whole Foods. I'm curious to see what that's all about as well.

Shelly: OMG, 4 miles in a half hour!? Holy crow girlfriend, you are QUICK! Remind me never to piss you off cause I surely couldn't out run ya! LOL I want to run a half marathon for sure. I just don't have the motivation to train for it at this point. I'm kind of annoyed at myself for it cause I was supposed to start training as soon as I finished the "X"! I WOULD be doing a half in the fall if I had done what I said I was gonna do! GRRRR!

Carole: Good job on the trail run w/no spills!;)

Jackie: Glad you enjoyed the wedding. How lovely-the groom serenading the bride!

Kristi: If you decide against doing the X in August for any reason you can always join Cathy and I in January!}(

Laurie: So what did the shower want?? :p :7 :+ :7 ;) LOLOL I crack myself up!:p

Hi Cheetahs-

I haven't been able to post much lately. We are in between house guests. Our Spanish exchange student arrives today. We are hoping to have a true 4th of July celebration with a BBQ at a friends and then off to see some fireworks. DD will have to lifeguard from for a few hours and she will bring the student along for some of it.

Now about running, This book by Phil Maffetone is really confusing me. It is my belief that this method will be helpful eventually, but it is discouraging to have to run a 12+ minute mile to stay in my an aerobic phase. Plus people I talk to, runners even, seem to think it is a waste of time.

Yesterday I used my TM to pace myself at 11:15 and for the first few miles I was *close* to the maximum aerobic HR, but after 3 miles no way. I did not want to run any slower so I did stay at 11:15 for most of the run. (That is the pace recommended for my long easy runs by the Smart Coach program at Runners World)

Perhaps Laura, who has applied this method, will read and comment?

How are all the Cheetahs going to spend the 4th? We will goto a BBQ at friends and hopefully out to see some fireworks. We are not sure how exhausted our student will be from Jet lag though.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

http://www.smileyhut.com/silly/arrowhead.gif

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

Good morning Cheetahs! Today will be weight training, not sure which DVD, or maybe I'll go solo on this one. I can accomplish more in a shorter amount of time, shorter rests. It is challenging trying to fit an hour workout in a 45 minute workout time.

Wendy - What and where is your tattoo? I've been thinking about getting one for a long time now. Nothing big, just a toe ring. Pretty dorky right? I would love to see pics.

Judy - Have fun at the BBQ. Keep me informed on how you are liking running using your heart rate. I've been tempted by this method for some time now, but I still need to buy a heart rate monitor.

I'll try to be back later! Have a great day Cheetahs!

Hey Judy! Nice to see you today. I hope the exchange student isn't totally exhausted from the trip so that you all can enjoy the holiday. :)

Kristi: The toe ring thing isn't dorky. I've always liked that idea. I got a "tramp stamp". A picture of it is in my picture trail in the "assorted pics of all of us" album. First pic. Most of it is just the line stencil so alot of it was colored in when I had it done but you'll be able to see the design. :)

Thanks, Kristi!
You wanna talk about DORK..LOL..I was so proud of myself because I actually created that design myself! I looked on line and found 2 designs that I liked so I printed them cut them out and taped them back together the way I wanted them. I also changed up and added some color from the original flash designs. I have 2 other tats and I wasn't original with them at all really. My 2nd is straight up flash and the 1st I just added one small rose to it at the suggestion of the tattoo artist. Now I can start thinkin' about #4!!!:eek: ;) :7 :p }(

Good Morning:) Feels like the first day of summer holidays, gotta love it!! No lunches to make, I slept until 7:15, low pressure day for sure:) I'm thinking that today I'll do LIC step and blasts and checkout my new BodyPump release. I haven't taught in a year but they still keep shipping them to me, they're $45/release but worth it. Great music and nice to get fresh weight work every 3 months. After I workout I'll go see how my space at the gym is coming along. If it looks almost ready for me to start seeing clients then I'll go give my notice at the chiropractic clinic. Gosh I'm nervous about giving notice but it'll be a relief too.

Wendy, congrats on your new tat!! I think it's so funny how we get jonsin' for DOMS around here. We like it when it hurts, 'cause then we know it's workin'}(

Cathy, I don't get yoga DVDs anymore, just do my own thing. Sorry I can't be helpful. I think it's nice that you can be sentimental about your uncle's anniversary now. Time really does soften the scar tissue. I've met some folks who throw a dark shroud over themselves at every anniversary, I don't think that honours are lost loved ones, they want us to be happy:)

Judy, welcome back to the pack:) A 12+ minute mile sounds like a crawl. I wouldn't enjoy that much either. You've got a busy few days ahead, hope it all works out with your student.

Kristi, fitting it all in can be such a challenge. If you haven't already checked it out, Cathe's July rotation is all time saver stuff, could be helpful when you're in a time crunch.

Time to go sweat!

Take Care
Laurie:)

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...I have a few piles of that kind of paper stuff that I also went thru yesterday as part of my decluttering!! I am not sure I have ever heard of kundalini yoga...sorry it was not quite right for you. Lucky girl getting the hot stone massage soon! That is great Chiro is covered well. I hope you find one that can help you. Enjoy PLB and a run.

Wendy...yep, your hip pain could be from worn out or even old shoes because even if the shoes are not worn much they break down in time. The shoulder work itself is really hard to up the weights in PUB. So is the bicep work for me anyway. Good job on attempting. If your arms burned then they got a good workout!! I bet your tatto looks way cool. How soon til you lose the sensitivity?

Judy...I normally do my long runs at an 11 or 12 min pace especially on trails. We plan on fishing very early to start the 4th. No plans after that.

Jackie...if you have a local running club near you, they might be aware of some trails to run. I think what helps here is there are 2 lakes close and most of the trails I run are near them. Good job with S&H and ARX yesterday.

Sunny..I have been checking the iTrain site too!

Kristi...good job on slowly increasing your mileage. That can be tough. Enjoy your weight workout today.

Laurie..sounds like your Canada Day was a smash! Yes, I will be painting forever it seems....:)..Have fun with LIC and then checking out your new work space.

I am going to do GS legs (standing) before a 4-5 mile run. Then some more decluttering and some painting.

Have a great day...:)

Good morning, Cheetahs.........

WARNING - WHINING BELOW.....................

OK - I need to get something off my chest. I was checking out my Cathe workout calendar for progress, etc. and realized that I worked out 6 days a week for the entire month of June, over an hour every time and some days twice. So, I was excited and ready to step on the scale. NOTHING - in fact, I gained two pounds. My clothes do not feel any looser either x( ;( :-( I know you are all probably so sick of me complaining about not losing weight, but man, there's got to be something that I'm missing because I thought for sure there would be some kind of benefit from a month of being consistant! I have been eating very good, too, better and cleaner than ever. My only guess is not clean enough.:( I'm wondering what to try now?????

OK - I'm done, sorry for the whining, but I knew I could count on you gals to let me vent. I'm done now promise! I'll move on and try something different.

So, I hope everyone is having a great day! I power walked an hour this morning and am hoping to get a run in later, too. We are meeting DH for supper and then I will probably have to help at the bar since the day before a holiday is usually pretty busy!

Have a great day, I'll be back later.
Marcia.

OK, PLB done followed by a 40 minute run. I kept conservative with the weights since this is a new order for me to do weights first. Glad for it since I felt really fatigued on the last hill. Let me respond to personals here while I gulp a glass of milk & enjoy the post-workout high...

Wendy :: so what does it feel like as it heals?

Judy :: good to see you…I have left my HRM off during my last few runs and have just been doing what feels good. I run slow to begin with, so it’s hard to go even slower than that. Have fun with your exchange student! I am sure she will enjoy experiencing the Fourth festivities. Last year, when I went to Germany for the World Cup, I arrived on the same day of the World Cup match I had tickets for, so I was fighting some serious jet lag. But the excitement of it all (and the German beer) kept me going, natch. :)

Laurie :: good luck when you give your notice! I had a difficult time of it when I resigned from my former teaching post…With yoga, I used to just do my own thing, too, but since I’m not trained in it, I think I like having someone guide me whether via TV, or preferably, a live class. I will keep looking…I agree – I know some folks who also become immobile during anniversaries…I respect that everyone handles their grief in their own way in their own time…but I do think that it’s healthy, ideally at some point, to be able to focus on the blessing and not the loss.

Carole :: these DVDs were $18 a pop, so I’m sorry, too, they didn’t work out! *lol*…yes, I was very surprised to hear how well chiro visits were covered…Booking both appts. back-to-back reminded me of you as I know you make regular visits to both. Enjoy your workout, cleanout, and painting!

Well, I am going to resume decluttering & cleaning and then in the afternoon, it’s off the gyn. Oh, what fun.

Have a great day, cheetahs ~ BBL.

Marcia,
I seem to recall you saying that you are faithfully journaling, so the only thing I can think of is maybe you are miscalculating your portions. Or, another possibility may be that if you are working out that hard, you may not be eating enough to fuel your body. Did you ever try zigzagging your calories? I remember that coming up before...

"I always loved running...You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
-Jesse Owens

G'morning Cheetahs! Great workouts this morning for me! I did an 18 mile bike w/ my buddies, came home for my oatmeal & coffee and then did Back & Biceps + ARX. Upped the weights/ reps again. WOOHOO! I'm thinking I'm going to need some 30 & 35 lb dumbbells for next round. }(

Happy 4th bday to my sweet Allison Suzanne! I can't believe she's 4. WOW! How did that happen so fast? She got to open her American Girl doll & was so thrilled. She said it was *exactly* what she wanted. :) And I got her a couple outfits to go w/ it, so she & Kiersten are having a great time playing w/ their dolls together.

My Mom is on her way here and then we're heading to the pool for a pool party. Then later on we'll go see Ratatouille, my brother will make it here by then too. We made Funfetti cookies, we still have some leftover cake from her *pretend* party, and choc. chip cookie dough ice cream. (No, NONE for me!)

So... fun day planned. Glad I got my workouts done early! :p

Have a great day!

Hey girls.

I just got back from a leisurely stroll to Dunkin Donuts with DS in his stroller so mamma could get herself a yummy iced coffee!:9 I was dyin' to get outside but didn't feel like goin' back to the park for the THIRD day in a row!:p I'll probably take DS in the yard to play in a little while as well. :)

Laurie: Hope your space at the gym is done soon. Keep those Body Pumps comin' as you may find yourself teaching again real soon!}(

Carole: I will be on the task of getting new kicks soon. Thanks for the advice/reminder!:+ It's hard to recall when a healing tattoo stops hurting as I got my other 2 roughly 8 and 10 years ago!:eek: I think, though, that since mine should be COMPLETELY healed in 2 weeks that the sensitivity should go away with in the first week or even less...maybe just a few days!:) Once the top layer of skin starts to dry up and peel off it no longer hurts but then it tends to itch and that is very annoying cause ya can't really scratch it!x(

Marcia: I know how frustrating it can be but you just need to keep changing things up until you find a combo that works for you. Play with your diet as well as your work outs. Raise/lower your calorie intake and your f/c/p ratios. Play with how many times per day you eat. The formula for success is different for all of us so you just need to find yours! I can't recall if you've ever tried the calorie staggering or zigzagging plan? That worked quite well for me!

ETA: LOL, Cathy we were posting at the same time and obviously sharing the same thoughts! Read the end of my post to Marcia!:7

Cathy: I hope doing weights before cardio yields some results for you. A tattoo feels like a bad sunburn for the first part of the healing process. Once the top layer of skin dries up and starts peeling if it no longer hurts but just tends to itch which is not fun cause ya can't scratch it!:eek:

Jess: I hope your girls enjoy the movie and the pool party! I am going to suggest to DH that we go see that same movie with DS one of these days. :)

Morning Cheetahs!

Sunny - I keep checking iTrain too looking for the exciting new stuff. I haven't had a chance this morning. I'm finding myself liking the iStrength and iStretch. That means I need to try some of the others too.

Wendy - Great job on upping your weights on some moves. Glad you listened to your body and didn't overdo. Yay for the tattoo!

Kristi - Good job on the 3 miles. I'm sure you will be back up in mileage before you know it.

Laurie - Sounds like Canada Day was a blast. Wish I could say I was a really good cook but it's just not my forte.

Cathy - Doing P90X in January sounds good. It's so hard to work everything in when running so much. Good workout today.

Judy - How are you feeling when you run? When will you be able to feel a difference? I don't know if I could do it because I like to get in my own zone. Hope you get it figured out. Have fun at the BBQ.

Carole - You won't believe it but I just joined a running club and got my first newsletter yesterday. Maybe they will have some trail runs. Have a great workout! Looks like a good tough one. Thanks on the iTrains. Will check them out shortly.

Marcia - So sorry you didn't get the results you expected with the workouts. Are you eating enough to fuel all of the workouts? I still use the BFFM method most of the time. Whine any time you need to.

Jess - Great workout today!

I did iTread #12 45 minutes. BTW, Shelly, this one has hills in it. Got in 4.3 miles and a stretch at the end. Then I hopped on the elliptical for 15 minutes. I raised the incline for the first time since I got it Christmas. It was different. Will try it again. Finished up with 10 minutes of an iStretch.

Have a great Tuesday!

Jackie

Hi Judy! I've been meaning to post this for a while but your note of frustration re: the maffetone approach to running prompted me to remember. This is from an article in the Running Times in the current issue called "Effort by the Numbers" written by Coach Roy Benson, MPE in Exercise physiology. I'm quoting excerpts from this.
"Not all HRs are equal. Some are faster. Others are slower. Why? Because some hearts are smaller while others are bigger. To know if your target heart rates are valid, you have to exhaustively determine your very own, personal, maximum heart rate. You cannot reliably predict it using the widely accepted myth that subtracting your age from 220 equals your MHR. That will only work for the lucky few of the human population who are right at or very close to the mean of the bell curve. You can check your MHR by wearing a monitor and check it as you cross the finish line of a 5k or 10k race in warm weather. If it is significantly off what the venerable old 220 minus age predicted, dont worry."

"you can now be relieved if you ever calculated target HRs based on the old formula and found that they simply didn't make sense. If for example you wre barely jogging on your tempo runs in order to keep your HR down within the 80-85% zone....As a result, is your HR monitor now on a shelf gathering dust? or did you get so frustrated that you threw it on the floor and jumped and down on it?" You needn't have experienced all that frustration after all. There is still hope that you can find the valid numbers to objectively help wise, old Judge Effort."

I found this article to be fascinating... I only quoted a few sections. I'm one of those that gave up on monitoring heart rates.
I go by perceived exertion. However the author claims it is a good valid tool to use, you just have to personalize it for you.

Hope this helps!

ShellyC

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.