Check In Book Reviews 7/27/06

janiejoey

Cathlete
Thought I would give this one a try. I would love to read more, but I don't want to get a book that is boring and waste my time. If anyone is interrested please stop by and give a comment on the books you have read, especially the ones you liked. Not only will I benefit from it, but other people will as well. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. If I shouldn't have started this thread, then let me know too, it would be apprciated as well.

Hope this takes off,

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

Janie,

I think this is a good idea. Others have already recommended my two latest, "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" and "The Glass Castle" (and I second the recommendations), but I'll keep coming back here with my future or any past books I think of.

Hi Sweet Melody,

Funny you should say that. I just got the "Snow Flower And The Secret Fan" at the library. Can hardly wait! The "Glass Castle" will be next. Who is the author of this one?

Thanks again,

Janie

-My mother, Mary Cooper-

I think this is a great idea. I love hearing recommendations.
Personally, right now I am really into James Patterson novels. I love the suspense, mystery novels. Especially his Alex Cross series.
After the one I am reading now, I would like to "branch off" and read something different. I would love to check out the "Glass Castle"

Maeghan AKA megadoo

New pics added in July 25 2006 and Fitness album!!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/154/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

Alright!

I think this will work. Keep it comming everyone. Lets hear some good book recommendations. YEAH! Can you tell I'm excited? Thanks Megadoo.

My recomendations are: "The Mirror" by Marlys Millhiser, very unusual with a great twist. Jean Auel, has a series of 5 books prehistoric time. Fantastic books. A must read, you won't be able to put them down.

Janie

-My mother, Mary Cooper-

Janie,

"The Glass Castle" is a memoir by Jeannette Walls. You'll laugh and want to choke her parents at the same time.

I'm going to start making a list now. Than you.

Janie

-My mother, Mary Cooper-

I just purchased "Memoirs of a Geisha" as per Jes' recommendation a while back. I haven't started reading it yet though. I'm reading something else currently...:)

Hi there,

The "8 Weeks To A Healthy Dog" by Shawn Messonnier, D.V.M., is excellent. It's about preventive care practices. My little dog is in much better health because of this remarkable book.

Anyone that has a dog will help prolong their lives, and live a wonderful life.

Janie

-My mother, Mary Cooper-

Hi Janie!:)

I'll join in -- I read constantly -- of course many of the books that I read are research books and so might be on the dull side, but many of the research books are truly interesting, too. Depends...

Anyway, what I'm reading now that I'm loving are nutrition books -- takes my mind off of something so completely different than what I write.

They're great. They are: EAT FAT, LOOK THIN by Bruce Fif and EAT FAT, LOSE FAT by Sally Fallon. Also Enzyme Nutrition by Dr. Edward Howell. That's a must read for anyone interested in nurtition. Also a very good book is The Untold Story of Milk by Ron Schmid.

I could go on and on but that's probably enough.

What a good idea, Janie.:7

Hi Janie,

Here's a link to a thread Robin (buffettgirl) started a few weeks ago that you might find helpful:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?..._id=311651&mesg_id=311651&listing_type=search

If you do an advanced search for "books" in the Open Discussion forum I'm sure you'll find several great recommendations.

I can also vouch for Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and The Glass Castle. They're both great books.

Another one I liked a lot was The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

Karan Kay and Michele,

Thank you both for your suggestions, I'm getting a list and will soon be going to the library.

Janie

-My mother, Mary Cooper-

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.