Cathe's January 2009 Rotation Week 1

cab0899

Cathlete
I know most people aren't starting till Monday or Tuesday but I thought I would get the ball rolling. I figured if we are a small group we can just do one thread a week. Everyone is welcome to join!

I started the January rotation on Thursday so today was IMAX 2, one of my favourite workouts! I think this was the only time all day that I felt warm, it's extremely cold here (-40's).

Looking forward to checking in with some other people to keep us on track for the month. This rotation looks hard but fun!

Kim

Kim,
I'm also doing Cathe's January rotation. I started on Thursday with IM2. Today was a DOR. Tomorrow will be GSlegs and CM3.

Just wondering what DOR is?

Day Of Rest

Hi, all! I would like to check in with you. This will be my first check-in on this board, but I've been doing Cathe workouts for awhile now.

I started the rotation yesterday and plan to get as far into it as I can before STS gets here, as I hope to start that February 1st. I do Bikram Yoga on Mondays, so I end up adding a day a week to the rotation, which is why I said I'll get as far through it as I can. I look forward to getting to know some new people!

I can't imagine -40 degrees! We think it's cold when it gets to +40 here.

Last edited:
Hi Kim: :) I'm in too! start tomorrow so will check in after workout is done! Starting with DrillMax since I don't have BM2 or Imax's :) Look forward to seeing all who join us!

Hi workout4life & NancyAZ :) Glad you will be joining us!

Nancy: this is only my 2nd rotation, but I do have to say that I enjoyed the last one (november's) because it gave me the no-brainer direction to follow! I, too, am waiting for STS so we'll take it as far as it will go :) then i'm sure we will all be bailing!

Hi, Dani! I've done a number of Cathe's rotations, and have never been disappointed. I just finished FitnessFreak's 3-month beginner/intermediate/advanced rotation, although it took me four months to complete. I retired at the end of September and it was pretty nerve-wracking leading up to it, as I loved my job and other things, so doing that month at a beginner level kept me working out, but not at an intense level my brain wouldn't be able to handle.

As soon as I retired I started with Bikram Yoga, as it was on my list of things I wanted to do. That took me a month or so to figure out as far as how to work it into my workout schedule, how many days a week I wanted to go, etc.

Then I repeated a week of the rotation because I originally didn't have CTX and did 4DS instead. Then I got CTX and decided to do that week again.

I know I'm rambling, but I guess the point I'm making is that I, too, enjoy doing rotations and having things set out for me, even if I do make my own adjustments along the way.

Cathes Jan Rotation 2009

Hi all

I'd love to join you all on this rotation. I started it Saturday so today is GS Back, Shoulders & Biceps. This is also my first rotation. I am determined to stick with it as I ate way too much over Christmas.

I'm in the uk and we've had a little snow this morning. Not alot but quite pretty. I'm also looking forward to STS Nancy. I bet it will be fabulous when its done.

Love
Laura
xx

1/5/09

Not used to that '09 thing yet! Today was Bikram Yoga for me and it was a great class. Tomorrow I'm going to sub the GS workout and get going on my 1RMs.

Laura, I hope you like doing a rotation. They really keep me on track.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies:

Workout done!!! I don't have any of the Body Max's so I did a Cardio Premix for DrillMax... it was the first workout of any kind in 2 weeks, so I didn't even attempt to do the full workout! Plus it is TTOM, so I'm not feeling 100% anyway!

I have a stress test tomorrow, so will have to look at the calendar to see what is on tap, but I think it is cardio...

Kim: where are you? :)

Nancy: I have never liked yoga much, but mostly because I am SO not very flexible! and the names of the poses crack me up, I don't think I could do "downward dog" without laughing! :)

Laura: Welcome! you will really enjoy the rotation! This one definately packs a punch! Do you have a lot of Cathe's DVD's... that's the only issue I have with posted rotations is that I don't have a very extensive library yet, but working on it! actually have 3 more killers being delivered wednesday!

workout4life: How'd you do today??? I'll have to check, but what is CM3?

check in tomorrow ;)

Jan Rotation 2009

Hi Ladies

Today is IMAX 2 for me. Although I'll have to modify interval 3, the hopping on one leg. I had an arthoscopy last year and my left knee will not let me put too much pressure on it.

Yes Nancy I'm hoping that I can stick to this rotation. I am very determined this time. I'd like to clean up my eating, which is hard for me. I also go on the BFFM Inner Circle site which is very good.

I have all of Cathes workouts, although Cathes DVDs are not available in the uk. I came across them one day and I've never looked back She is the best by far. I'm a bit of of a home fitness nut. Also I like to browse the videofitness forum, to get new ideas. I'm trying not to get on any more bandwagons at the moment. I bought Squeeze stronger and I can not get motivated to try it. However I do have the new ones by Kelly Coffey and they are an excellent addition. Highly recommend them. But STS is my biggest spend and hopefully I will start that once I finish this rotation. So I'm determined to stick with this until the end. Although I'm not looking forward to leaner legs tomorrow as thats a killer.

Hopefully I'll get back for personals later. Have great workouts today ladies and I hope everythings good at your end.

Laura
xx

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday. Busy day for me, dd had piano lessons after work. I had every intention of doing Leaner Legs once we were home at 8pm but when I got home DH had let ds11 invite friends over to watch the gold medal hockey game (Canada won!) so there was a room full of 11 boys in my basement which is where my workout equipment and computer both are. Oh well, Leaner Legs tonight!

Have to run off to work, should be able to catch up with personals tonight. Glad to see so many people enjoying this rotation.

Kim

1/6/09

Hooray! I followed through with my plan to start my 1RM "for real" today. I had done some a few months ago, but just didn't feel organized about it. I'm going to continue to sub the 1RM testing for the weight-training this month and see how that goes.

Yoga is hard for me, too, because I'm not flexible at all and never have been. That's why I thought to try Bikram yoga, which is the standardized 90-minute practice in the heated room. I love what it does for my muscles and ligaments, etc. I am seeing increases in flexibility and my back is becoming so much stronger. That's a weak spot for me and I'm thrilled that it is getting better.

Kim, sorry about the boys filling your workout space, but I'll bet they had fun. I hope you got your workout in tonight.

Whew, Leaner Legs completed. The workout seemed much harder than usual for some reason! Tomorrow, 20 min walk and GS Chest/Triceps.

Nancy, WTG starting on the 1RM, I haven't started yet, keep meaning to do that.:rolleyes: I love the results I get from yoga when I do it consistently too. I'm just not much of a yoga person, more of a cardio junkie/runner. Yoga is not my thing but I sure love the increase flexibilty that I get when I force myself to do it.

Laura Good thing, being careful with knee! I always like that interval 3 although I know that others don't! Let's stick together and finish this rotation as I've been known to fall off the rotation wagon more than once :eek: Good luck with LL tomorrow that is a challenging workout! Even though GSL later in the week is more intimidating for me.

Dani CM3 is CoreMax 3. Did you get a workout in today? Hey I heard that Las Vegas had some snow back in December!

Got to get kids to bed!
Kim

Jan Rotation

Hi Ladies

I've decided to take today as my rest day. I've got so much housework to do and I've done workouts for the last six days so I'm due a rest day. Tomorrow I'll do leaner legs. Its a bit icy in the UK at the moment but nothing like you ladies in the US have to go through. Us Brits cant cope with a bit of snow. We're just not prepared for it lol.

Kim well done on Leaner legs that one is a killer. Thats probably why I'm holding out doing it. Well done Nancy on calculating your 1RM. I've done some of them but not all. I would like to get a weighted vest for sts, but moneys too tight at the moment.

I might get some stretching/yoga in later today when I finish work. I've just had Yoga Solutions from Tracey Staehle delivered so I might do that. Anyway have good days girls and yes Kim we must carry on with this rotation to the end.

Take care
Love
Laura
xx

1/7/09

Kim, yes indeed -- great going on Leaner Legs! I'm going to pass on it tomorrow in favor of 1RM testing. It looks like with the rotation set up the way it is, I'll be doing 1RM testing for the next three workouts.

Laura, I think you more than deserve that rest day!

I did Imax2 today. Well, most of it. I was interrupted after interval 7 by the arrival of the cable/internet repairman. Can't keep him waiting! I still got a good workout, though. I wasn't really sore from my 1RM tests from yesterday, but I'm starting to feel them now. Nothing terrible, though.

Okay, finished my 20 min walk on the tm and GS Chest and Triceps. DH did the GSCT with me. Well kind of :rolleyes: More complaining than anything else going on.

Nancy How are you doing the 1 RM ? Are you doing a warmup and then just picking a excercise and try a weight then if it's not the right one then try another??

Laura Hope you enjoy your well earned rest day! I would like to get the weighted vest too but the shipping up to Canada would make it so expensive :rolleyes: I can't imagine the cost over to the UK. Yup, lots of snow, and ice up here in the Great White North. The snowbanks along our driveway are up to my chest making shovelling quite the challenge. It was -38C driving to work today but we are finally suppose to get some warmer weather coming soon. But at least we have hot summers, my coworker was in the UK for 3 weeks this July and she said she only got to wear her shorts once!

Well I'm finished the first week of the rotation but plan to plow ahead with week 2 tomorrow since I already took Monday off. So GSL and CM3 tomorrow!

Kim

Hi Ladies:

Checkin' in for 1/7/09! I actually fudged a bit and did a new workout that I just got in the mail today in lieu of GSBSB... I got the Pyramids, so did the Bonus Combo and WOW!!! all those step ups really burned by the end! My knee is starting to bother me again though, so will have to take it easy on the high step!

Didn't get in a workout yesterday as I had a stess test due to some blood work results last month, and had a splitting headache when I got home, not to mention sitting in the lab for 2.5 hours was not my idea of fun either... so just was not up to it and ended up going to bed early because it hurt to keep my eyes open... had another headache this afternoon, so not sure if it is the drastic change in my diet, or from the stuff they injected me with yesterday just working itself out of my system... but I must say I hope tomorrow does not follow suit!

Kim: laughing at your DH and all the complaining! I am working on DH to do STS with me, but I doubt I could get him to do any of the cardio ones! Also, reading your weather woes reminded me of a road to my Mom's house when I was in Alaska! A stretch in the mountain pass would be so deep and the road graters and road snow blowers would literally carve out a wall through this stretch of road and you felt like you were in a mini-snow grand canyon! it was so strange my first time driving through it! And YES, we did have snow a few times last month! it was very strange to have it with the palm trees! wasn't exactly a white Christmas, but sorta fun...

Nancy: of course the repair guy decides to show up during the workout! When else during the 8 hour time window they generally give you would they show up! LOL! at least you were almost done! Good job on the 1RM committment! I printed the SNM list posted the other day, so I have it, and it is sitting on the table next to the TV in my workout room, but I had a headache tonite, so just did my regular workout so didn't get into them... maybe this weekend!

Laura: I agree! after 6 days in a row you deserve a day off! I hear ya about the weather practically bringing some places to a complete standstill... I used to live in Seattle and they recently got dumped on more than normal and it pretty much shuts down the city! BE SAFE!!! and stay warm!

check in tomorrow!

Glad you like the pyramids, Dani! They are great workouts!

Today I did GSL and since I got a new kettlebell dvd (Lauren Brooks) in the mail, I did some of that instead of CM3. Will add CM3 on to 4DS Boot Camp tomorrow.

We had our own little gym going on in the basement, DH on the tm, me doing GSL and ds punching his punching bag. DD stayed upstairs, far far away. LOL

Hope everyone else is doing okay! Kim

HI Kim:

yeah, Pyramids are great workouts! I had the FitTV versions but knew that I was missing some of the good stuff, so broke down and ordered it! Major DOMS today!

Did my new HS Training tonite too... Endless leg lifts and I'm spent! about ready to go soak in the tub with some epsom salt!

You will have to report back on the KB's! I've been holding back on getting them because I have spent so much the past 4-5 months building my gym and Cathe library, AND STS, that I am going to take it easy for awhile... I have enough to keep me busy for awhile! I also got The Terminator DVD and some new weighted boxing gloves, so hopefully they will show up in the next few days in time to do KM or KPC :)

Nancy/Laura: Hope things are going well for you guys!

1/8/09

Hi, all! I'm checking in with another 1RM day. I did mostly chest and triceps today with some more shoulder work thrown in to make each round a three-muscle-group set.

I am starting each session on the treadmill for five minutes, just walking, to get a bit warmed up. Then I started on page 1 of the PDF list and found the first exercise for one of the muscle groups I'm testing that day. Then I looked for the first exercise in the second muscle group, then the third. After those were done I got on the treadmill again for five minutes to give everything a chance to rest up. So with setting up everything and finding the right weights, and the treadmill break, there is a pretty good amount of time between tests on each muscle group. I started to try to get organized enough to do, say, just stability ball exercises, but that was taking me too much time and energy to organize, especially with the small pictures on the printout, so I just decided to go in order as best I can.

I figured out that I'm 1/3 the way through the list. I'm doing legs tomorrow, so that is going to be hard. It's going to really give me a chance to use my squat racks, that's for sure. I'll fill in the rounds with exercises from other muscle groups. I know legs will take quite awhile days-wise to finish up because there are so many. I'm not trying to push too hard with these tests, as I don't think trying to do them all of any group in any one day -- or even two -- is worth it. I feel myself getting fatigued and suspect that the results would be skewed if I continue to work through the list any more that day. I also think there is more potential for injury by overworking the muscles. That's my take on it, anyway.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.