Cabs and Abs Thursday

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Good Morning Girls.

I am hoping to work out before DS gets up this morning. I don't have to work but I have errands to run and then would like to have his nap time for MY nap ;),some house cleaning and creating those darned cover letters for my resumes! We'll see if I am motivated enough to make this happen....:p

Cathy: If there is one thing I've learned, it's that your job does not have to be physical for you to feel tired at the end of the day. A job that is tough mentally can be just as draining if not MORE so then physical labor! I hope you got some much needed rest yesterday. Have you ever thought about simplifying your work out plan to alternate weight and cardio days so that you don't have to worry about doing weight work and a run ever?

Diana: That's messed up with your job. Isn't that illegal?? By law you get some kind of break after working so many hours straight!

Angie: As far as your son's coach and other parents-I don't blame you for being upset! I've heard waaaay too many stories about crazed coaches and parents going over the edge over a kid's sporting event. It's scarey! The sports for the young kids are supposed to be FUN! I lived next door to a school field growing up and they held soccer games for the little ones there on weekend mornings. I'd inevitably be woken up by some idiot SCREAMING at a kid over how they are playing the game. I HATE THAT!!!! x(

Laura: So where's the pic of the new hair-do??:D

Good morning, girls! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-038.gif http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-038.gif http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-038.gif

Ahhh! A chance to BREATHE this morning...it's a beautiful thing! (I am off today for Rosh Hoshanah.)

Angie :: your post about the maniacal coach reminded me of the Will Ferrell (love him!) movie Kicking and Screaming. Don’t blame you for not wanting your company name associated with the team. It’s a shame. I completely agree with Wendy. It’s supposed to be FUN and then you have these fruitcakes who treat it like it’s the Olympics…thanks for the boost!…Selling Krispy Kremes for an athletic organization does sound completely butt-backwards.

Wendy :: no, you are absolutely right about the mental labor…I think I also have to learn to ease up. I put too much pressure on myself, I think, and need to learn to leave some of my work THERE…I think after next week when this rotation’ll be over, I should do as you’re advising. During the week, I need 1 hr. or less workouts. Think I can still lose fat effectively that way? I might ask for your expertise in setting that up…Good luck with the cover letters! If I can help in any way with that, let me know. :)

Hi Laura, Diana, and Nancy!

Workout later will be a run, abs, and an LIC u/b premix.

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

Good morning

Wendy - Lemme guess....an itrain w/o this morning??:7 I am jealous of your morning energy....wish I was a morning person. Hopefully your schedule goes as planned so that you can get that nap in this afternoon.
So glad I don't live anywhere near a park where they play sports. We do however live only a mile or so away from the sportsmans club so I routinely get woken up by gun shots, but thankfully usually only before deer season starts.

Cathy - Yup, the mental stuff is definitely, I think, more draining than physical labor. Plus, you may not be getting as much sleep as before? Not sure with you since you are also one of those.....morning people.;-) :eek:
Your smiley faces crack me up.....you do come up with some cute stuff!
OK - so what's Rosh Hoshanah?
I haven't seen that Wil Farrel movie. I also haven't seen blades of glory....anyone seen it? It looks hiliarious.:D

Hi Laura, Diana and Nancy

I'm finally waking up after a few cups of coffee. I'm off to tackle the frig and basement. It's a nice, cool, fall morning and I love it! Good weather for cleaning. If I was really motivated I would get YogaX out of the way....but....nah! Maybe I should tackle the first part early and do the last part later this afternoon? Hmmmmmm something to kick around.

OK girls - please give me some specific ideas on Yoga tapes. I really need to add them in since I'm not a fan of YogaX, but still feel the need to add in some Yoga once a week while on this rotation. Brian Baptiste is what seems to be popular, but which w/o specifically? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Later gators

Angie

Hey.

I did it! My work out is done! I may add on some abs later but that's about it. I did Kick Butt Boot Camp's Med ball work out + All Body Attack's upper body work. Man was I burnin' up!!! AWESOME!}(

Angie: I have Baron's Journey into Power 2 which I really like. They have Journey into Power 1 as well which is a more beginner level. I also have Baron's Slim and Lean and that's good to but I prefer Journey into Power personally.

Cathy: I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can with a rotation that alternates weights and cardio on separate days. Yes it can be a VERY effective way to lose body fat. If you remember, that is how the X is set up. The thing is that it depends on YOUR body and what it reacts best to. If your body needs alot of cardio in order to lose fat effectively then alternating may not be best but if less cardio and more weight lifting does the trick for you then alternating is definately the way to go. If you are looking for more cardio but still want to keep your work outs compact then then try alternating cardio (running) with circuits. Go heavy on the weight work in the circuits so that you still get good weight training in and you will obviously get a TON of cardio going there. Let me know if you need anything else. :) As far as the cover letters go, they have suggestions on what to write on the resume builder site I am using. They also have a spell check. ;) I will start with that and then I think I will copy it over to an email or pm to you since you are kind enough to offer the help. A little constructive criticism can't hurt, right? :p Thanks for the offer, btw. :)

That's all for now but I'll be back!

Hi Ladies,

I have to be to work early for a meeting so I didn't w/o this morning. I do have bootcamp class tonight, only two weeks left. She's having the class 3x/week for the next 2 weeks, then its over and I will miss it.

Wendy-It's only 7:30 here and your w/o is already done:) I hadn't thought about the legality issue, thanks for bringing that up. I think it's time to start a daily notebook of what's going on at work. It may come in handy-thanks. So your planning another round of the X-in January??? I think I'm up for another round so I'll be happy to join you.

Cathy-Cymbals-that should do the trick;-) I remember one of my older boys having math 1st hr and it was awful. I'm sure it wasn't great for the teacher either. It sounds like Wendy can offer you some great shorter w/o suggestions.

Angie-so sorry to hear about cam's coach. Fortunately we've only had a couple of bad experiences which isn't bad considering all 3 of my boys played sports. By the way, the medical leave was in January, for 4 weeks. She's been back for months now. I've been asked to cover phones M & T next week and they are giving me a lunch hour on those 2 days.

Hi to Laura and Nancy!!

Diana

OK, I plowed through 3/4 of my to-do list and am now going to kick back - maybe take a nap. I'm saving my w/out for the afternoon. I really need to re-train my brain to overcome the afternoon slump. I have DOMS in the hammies from y'day, so I'm looking forward to running that off later!

Ang :: Oh yes, I am a person who needs at least 7, if not 8, hours of sleep. If school started at, say, 9 life would be golden. :)…Rosh Hoshanah is the Jewish New Year…I did see Blades of Glory ~ it’s funny…I don’t have any of Baron’s DVDs, but Long & Lean is on my shopping list. The ones I have and like are: 10 Min. Solutions Yoga, Kathy Smith New Yoga (which is actually an old workout but still decent), Crunch Joy of Yoga, Rodney Yee Yoga Burn, Rodney Yee’s Yoga Conditioning for Athletes, and Power Yoga with Kristin McGee. I have some others but don't care for them as much. I've been a quest for good, flexibility-based DVDs for some time, so I'll be curious to hear what you find.

Wendy :: KBBC is the Mylrea w/out, right?…Thanks for the advice…I am wondering if I should go ahead and finish this week out and then call it day for the Aug. 04 rotation. (There’d be one week left of the third round.) I hate to not finish a rotation, but then again, doing it halfway isn’t achieving much, either. I suspect I am someone who needs more cardio. I’ll play with it and then come back to you for feedback…Sure, I’d be happy to proof or give feedback if you would find it helpful. Sometimes it’s good just to have another set of eyes look at something. And I think resume/cover-letter writing is one of the most difficult ~ tooting your own horn doesn’t come easily.

Diana :: is there a chance BC will continue if enough people want to stick w/ it? Keeping a work notebook sounds like a good idea.

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

Morning ladies ..

It is INSANE here again .. x( .. I am up front on the cash window .. and they are remodeling the sales floor .. :eek: .. noise .. and confusion X 10 .... x(

OK .. I took some shots of the new do last night after class .. posted them in the picture trail .. they hair is not exactly fixed .. but you will get the gist of it .. warning: no makeup .. LOL .. I am going to try to get one of me and partner in crime here at work .. she is getting hers cut today .. so we are going to get a shot of the new do's together!! LOL I will post it afterwards!! let me know what cha think!

Yikes Diana .. your work is worse than mine . .and yes there are laws about breaks and lunches ... I think you can not work 8 hours w/o a break or a 30 min. lunch .. if I am not mistaken .. GEEZE .. hang in there girl!!

Wendy .. good luck w/the cover letters and resume's ..

Cathy .. getting a break today .. good for you... sounds like you have been needing one ..

Angie .. I work w/one of the "people" that pushes their kids to play in ALL sports .. EVERY league .. and that is all I here all day ... complaining .. and bragging .. funny no fussing when the kids don't get to bed till 11:00 or 12:00 on a week night and make horrible grades and get demmeritts for mis-behaving.. makes me sick!!

Ok .. taught upper body shaping last nigth .. VERY successfull .. the chest, triceps and biceps are feeling it today.

Tonight is an attempt at a lower body class .. LOL .. promise to be carefull .. and have watch dog VBF watching my every move and facial expression .. LOL!!

.. still missing my cardio .. but feeling more like my old self .. sleeping better at night .. and feeling sore .. oh yeah .. rode to recovery loving it!! but ya'll keep up my cardio ok?? LOL

Have a great day .. gotta get back to the crazy counter ... x( .. have some great SWEATY workouts for me!!:7

Hi again

I'm sittin back for a half hour and then heading down for yoga;( The frig is now tamed but I haven't gotten downstairs yet. It's a good thing I have tomorrow off too. I have a to-do list as long as my arm.

Cathy - Happy New Year!;-) Does that mean you get to party all day and night too?
Thanks for the Yoga recommendations. I think I may order off collegevideo so that if I order something I don't like I can send it back and get one that I DO like.
I really do think that you CAN burn fat with an hour workout per day. Although, like Wendy said, we are all different. When I want to drop those stubborn pounds, Tony's set up works wonders for me....even if I sub in the workouts with something else, as long as I follow the concept of the X. I wish I would have known that heavy weights do this for me a long time ago. The years of continuous step aerobics could've been so much more productive. I'm also batting around the idea of doing a CC w/o by doing step intervals that Cathe does on the IMAX's to do a HIIT workout. I'm thinking maybe it's the concept of the HITT workouts that have helped me as well......I think the X is somewhat a HIIT workout since I really get my heartrate up there and then allow it to come way down. Maybe that's why the X works for me?? I mean even with and X workout I can burn over 500 calories in a session when with IMAX3 I burn about 600. Something to think about........hope it helps.

Wendy - Great job getting that w/o out of the way so early! You are so organized!

Diana - I too think the notebook is a great idea. Too bad it has had to come to that.:( It sounds like a miserable environment. Is everyone getting treated the same way?
So is that cold history yet? How's DH feeling?

Alright, I'd better go and check out Cody's grades online and see how he's doing. He says he thinks he's doing great....we'll see.

BBL

Angie

Laura :: I like the new 'do! Looks healthy, modern and youthful. What did DH say?

Angie :: I don't know a whole lot about it, but I think the time from Rosh Hoshanah to Yom Kippur is a time of self-reflection and repentance for sins...But for me, it is a blessed day off!! :D Thanks for the suggestions!! I did not lose much, if any, weight on the X, but I did lose inches, so I think the heavy weight approach *was* good for me. I do want to enjoy fall running weather, though, so I will probably stick with more cardio until January or so. But I think you're right about including the HIIT. Maybe I'll strive for 1 per week.

OK, time to nap for a bit...finish up my work...and then WORK OUT!!!

No nap, after all. Ran an enjoyable 3 miles http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/others-283.gif in warm sunshine (no humidity ~ YEAH!) with the garbage men in the neighboring town "cheering" me on. Ms. Slowski decided to show off & kick up the pace and wound up fighting off a sidestitch for most of the run. *lol* But I refused to stop.
Followed that with LIC u/b sculpt (love that one!! It's so short but it makes my tris SCREAM!)http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/others-142.gif and Amy Bento's 10 Min. Solution abs. She does some weird standing stuff with the band, but a couple of moves on the floor (also with the band) were pretty tough.

Question about circuit w/outs...I have BC, DM, LIC, CM (which I didn't care for) and Power Circuit on CTX (which I have yet to try). I wasn't going to buy any other Cathe workouts until the tech project is unveiled but now I'm considering Body Fusion and/or High Step Circuit. Thoughts or other recommendations?

PS...I probably shouldn't be TOO encouraged by this (it could be water weight), but I am down 4 lbs. since Sunday!

Hi again

YogaX is done! I could've just fallen asleep during that corpse pose at the end where Tony shuts up for a full minute....pure torture for him I am sure.:D Tomorrow is S&H legs and an ab w/o.

Cathy - Good job on the run. I seem to pick up the pace when I know others are watching. Funny about the garbage men.....so, are they hot garbage men??:eek: I agree, great weather to be outside....so tranquil.
Have you used the CC workouts with your run? I think they qualify as a HIIT workout and that way you could include an HIIT into your schedule without really changing too much. I don't have his most popular one which is press play. It didn't come with the package I bought a while back b/c all the proceeds to that one go to charity. I am going to try the others first before I go ahead and buy that one too.
Oh, and my fav circuit w/o is Cathe Cardio & Weights. I like the music and I love the footwork. The muscle work also really gets in there and you're happy to start the cardio again to get the kinks out.}( That w/o just flies by for me.

Laura - I like the new hair do.:) I'll bet DH will like it too.
Good luck with class tonight. I'm sure BF will put a kybosh to it if you push it too hard. Glad the sleep is good now and things are getting back on track. Wooohooo!

Nancy - Are you out there?? A big howdy to you if you are.:)

OK - time to help Cam study for a spelling test tomorrow.

Angie

Angie :: *lol* about Tony keeping his yap shut for one full minute. I didn't know that was possible. (Never did make it to the end of YogaX.)...Well, uh, yeah, one of 'em was a kinda hot garbage man. *lol*...Uhhhh, footwork in C&W? Would you say it's complex? Don't forget ~ I have two left feet and definitely do not have the time to invest in a whole lotta learning right now http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-11.png *lol*...Yes, I can definitely incorporate intervals into my running. I don't have any of the CCs, but that's OK, I used to just do my own intervals, anyway. Good ideas, thanks!!! :)...Woo, that teacher didn't wait too long to roll out the tests, huh??

Hey Cathy

Nah - I don't think C&W is complex choreo.....I think it's fun. She goes thru each segment 6 times each before she then moves on to the weight segments. Play a clip of it and see what you think. What do the rest of you all think about C&W? I have the VHS, so I'm not sure what other workout comes with it on the DVD....maybe Supersets?? Not sure. I'll bet there's some great premixes on that DVD.
Nope - Cam's teacher didn't wait long for the tests, which is OK with me, as long as I know when they are coming. He will have a spelling test every Friday. Actually, this is his second one.:eek: He has a reading test on a King Arthur story tomorrow too. He is soooo ready for them both.:)
Hot garbage men in your area.....not a bad thing at all. Why do I want to say Ga-bage man....like with a Boston accent?:eek: *lol* OMG - I think I'd better get to sleep.:+ :7

Nighty night all

Angie

Hi Ladies,

Well bootcamp was really tough tonight. I did my best but struggled through. I had a dentist appointment and my head and mouth were just throbbing with all the running and jumping we did. I'm glad I went, but also glad it's over.

Cathy-Great job getting most of your to do list DONE. Isn't nice to have a little motivation, that extra push to keep us going. Hope you smiled back at those garbage men.:) I actually did C&W earlier this week and I like it okay. I also prefer HSTA over HSC which I've done earlier this week as well. One thing to note is that HSC has an ab section and HSTA does not. I simply prefer the order of HSTA and I burn more calories with that w/o. Down 4lbs since Sunday-please tell me your secret, great job!

Angie-There is a difference between interval training and HIIT. Cathe's Imaxes are in the category of interval training, not HIIT. HIIT is pushing yourself to the limit for very short time periods and recovering and then doing it again-for no more than 20-30 mins, 2 to 3 times per week. If you are doing true HIIT, you would not be able to go longer than 20-30 mins. I've read a couple of articles on this and will try to find them for you. Maybe Wendy or Laura have some good information on this subject they can share with us. One more thing-I have some Cathe VHS workouts I would be willing to give you if you are interested. I replaced all mine with DVD's a couple years ago.

Laura-Your hair looks great-what does DH think? I'm a salaried employee and I normally work 9-6, but have flexible hours. Some of us work 6-3. Basically, as long as we are covered from 6a-6pm, the hours are pretty flexible. Well they were until they gave me the phones from 11-3. I normally went to lunch around 1 to the rec ctr since the lunch crowd was gone. Going at 3pm isn't working because I have to do my regular stuff that didn't get done while I have the phones.

Good Night Girls.

Diana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.