Buff Badgers Week of Jan. 9

heartymax

Cathlete
Had a great weekend. The weather was absolutely gorgeous this weekend---sunny and 60. I took down all my holiday decorations. DH just needs to put the tree in the box and put it away. I will see how long it takes him to do that. ;). Yesterday we went to the local NBA Wizards game. The team is not great but they have great entertainment. The kids always have fun.

As you know my knee was bothering me on Friday so I didn't workout. On Saturday, I did STS legs followed by Low Impact Circuit cardio. This morning was STS Chest, Shoulders and Biceps. I subbed a variety of planks for some of the push ups. Just way to many dang push ups in Meso 1.

Laurie---sorry you are not enjoying STS. It is actually one of my favorites.

Susan--glad you had some great weather too! I bet Ruby enjoyed the sunshine too.

Sam---I love using my slow cooker. It is great coming home and dinner is ready. I only use it about once a week---but I should increase that to two. Like you---I just need more recipes.

Hi Sue.

Good morning!
Friday my back was still bugging me and I didn't workout.
Saturday I did the Cardio and Weights premix from Body Max 2. Great premix! I will do that again.
Sunday I did Afterburn, and am now suffering from the crazy butt and back doms that those LIS workouts give me :D

Had a nice weekend. Saturday we just hung around the house and picked out paint colors for some upcoming projects. Sunday we met some friends for brunch after church and then celebrated my dad's b-day in the evening. We got home much later than planned and we were all exhausted this morning. Tomorrow's a rest day because of my schedule, so I'd like to at least get some easy cardio in this evening.

I've pretty much decided to join Kineticflix for at least a few months. I want to figure out how much I like some other instructors, and I'd like a to try a few individual workouts from some things like Turbofire where I don't want to buy the whole series. I have to wait a couple weeks for our new monthly budget to start, but I think I'll sign up at the end of the month.

Heartymax- We're having pretty good weather ourselves, though we haven't quite hit 60 :eek: We got the last of our Christmas decorations down also. It's a lot easier to get them down quickly when the weather's so great.

Have a good Monday, everyone.

Last edited:
Morning Ladies,

Had a fun but busy weekend. Saturday was a rest day, Sunday was Weider X-Factor ST Week 2, and 10lb Slimdown Xtreme Total Body. This morning was Xtreme Cardio Kickboxing and Recovery Lower Body.

I really enjoyed the Weider workout for week 2, I'm surprised how well these body weight only exercises work the back. ;) Here is the next flow of exercises on this workout, and it gave the heart rate a bit more of a kick than the first week.

Warm Up
Reverse Table Top Alt. Leg 30 sec.
Pulse Plank 45 sec.
Angled Lunge R/L/Alt. 90 sec.
Kick-Up Claps 30 sec.
Swimmers Stroke 45 sec.
Deep Squat Alt. Kick 90 sec.
Break
Straight Leg Raise
Tall Plank Push-Up with Alt arm/leg raise 45 sec.
Speed Skater Touch 90 sec.
V-Leg Ups 30 sec.
Lateral Jump 45 sec.
Side Bridge 45 sec.L/45 sec.R
Break
Repeat all the above.

heartymax, Our deco is down on the house, but inside we still have everything up. It just looks so dang pretty. :D I'm going to probably start up STS again next month, it just wasn't what I wanted to do after the holiday bloat! :rolleyes: I'm feeling better with this current rotation, and will probably be starting STS in the middle of Feb.

Sam, We seem to always post around the same time. ;) We had a party on Saturday, and got home really late. Church the next mornings was super hard to get up for. Take care of that back. Will look into the service you are talking about, sounds interesting. I like to try things out before I decide to buy. ;)

Have a wonderful day!

Last edited:
Heartymax - I noticed my knee's been feeling a bit wonky also. I felt it on Saturday while doing jumping jacks or lunges. Jogging in place and squats were fine. I stopped to do some quad stretching and that helped a bit. Hope this isn't the start of something.

Here's a slow cooker recipe my family loves: Put a beef roast in a slow cooker. Add 1 envelope beef gravy mix, 1 envelope Italian Seasoning, 1 envelope ranch dressing, 3/4 c. water. Cook all day (about 12 hours). If the roast is bigger you may want to cut it in half. Edited to add: Cut the roast in half - same amount of cooking time.

Sam - I was just wondering if any of us were still doing the LIS workouts. I know several people have complained about their knees. I don't know if that is why my knee is acting up or not. It's been a while since I did any LIS so probably not. I saw your question about Kineticflix on VF. You'll have to let us know how the service and selection is.

Laurie - I'm glad you're liking the Weider workouts. Body weight exercises that work the back? Sounds interesting.

On Saturday I did KCM Your Best Body Workout #1 with Cardio Rests and Workout #2 with Cardio Rests. The cardio rests are pretty easy (I guess that's why they're called "rests" instead of blasts). Now that I've done YBB a few times I have to say it's not my favorite KCM. I like Split Sessions and NYC (New You Coming) much better as far as strength workouts. There are some moves that I don't find that effective. For example, there's a tricep move where you hold 2 light dumbbells and push them back with straight arms and click the dumbbells together behind your back. I find the move uncomfortable and I feel it in my deltoids than my triceps even though I'm concentrating on pushing with the triceps. Just not one of favorite moves I guess. And that would be okay if you didn't do so many sets. This workout has fewer exercises and more sets so if there's an exercise you don't like, you're stuck doing it for several sets.

I took a nap yesterday instead of working out. Had a sinus headache that sapped all my energy. Managed to get up this morning and do KCM Step Boxing Workout #1 with Extra Drills. Laurie - The cardio in this one is a little tricky. It's fun when you get it but it'll be awhile before I can go straight through without goofing up. I have decided to start the Gym Style series for my weight work starting tomorrow. Haven't done this series in a while so I'm excited.

The tree is down but outside lights are still up. DH will probably wait until the weekend to do this and knowing our luck, it'll get either cold, snowy, icy or all of the above by then.

HI gang!

Weekend went by way too fast! Saturday was my rest day so I just walked Ruby. Sunday was S90 legs and Pilates lower body.

Today was S90 Cardio Challenge. My lower half is really sore today and I am supposed to run tomorrow! May be using the ellitpcal instead!:eek:

DS's team took 3rd place in the tourney. The lost just one game, by 1 point! They were proud of themselves!

Sue, I like that recipe! This week I am throwing BBQ ribs in slow cooker, but next week may be a roast!:)

Have to take DS to his confirmation right after work so I won't really get home until 8pm and I did not bring enough food to work!:( I am going to be so hungry and I hate eating late.... Will probably just steam some veggies..

Have a great night ladies! Susan

Good morning! It's 4:15 a.m. and I'm working my way through a cup of coffee before heading downstairs to do the HIS/LIS premix. I rearranged my schedule because there was just no way I could get a workout in last night. I was whipped.

Sue- I don't do the LIS workouts often because they do have some dread factor for me. It's not Cathe's fault, it's the way I feel about all these very military-esque, athletic style workouts. I do love that they're low impact, but I can see how all those super-fast squats and lunges and working with the gliders could stress out someone's knees. I don't think I'll ever do them consistently enough to tell if they bother mine. Anyway, I have to be in the right mood to do them, and when I am I have a good time. I'm very excited about Kineticflix! Their selection looks great, but I'm a little worried about shipment times. We shall see. Someone who's as impatient as me shouldn't have a hobby that involves mail order :rolleyes:

Susan- You are angelic thinking of steamed veggies after waiting so long to eat. Unfortunately, when I get really hungry I usually end up thinking about fast food.

Laurie- Are the Weider workouts all bodyweight exercises? You'll have to tell us what they do for your core strength. It seems to me that bodyweight work would be best for that. Of course, you already do a lot of that really athletic stuff, so you probably already have a core of iron :)

Good morning Heartymax!

Have a great day, everyone. My coffee cup is empty, time to get into my skivvies and go.

Last edited:
Good Morning Sam! You are up early too! I don't think I have tried the cardio and weights premix of Body Max 2. Hmmm....may have to think about that one in the future.

Susan---Your discipline will make you keep those great looking abs you got form P90x. It is long days like that and getting home late that I would make an excuse to eat fast food.

Sue--a roast is one thing that I often prepare in the slow cooker. Your recipe is very similar to mine. I will have to give yours a try. For the last year---I have been using------1 pack of onion soup mix, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and water ( i just fill one of the cans twice). Mix those ingredients in the slow cooker and season the roast and add. Cook for 8 hours and it is soooooo tender and has delicious gravy when we get home. DS13 loves this but DS9 doesn't like roast.

This morning was Level 2 and Level 3 of Jillian's 30 day Shred. She can definitely work the abs.

Laurie----question for you. Do you know if I can select level 1 and 2 at the same time so it will automaticaly let me do both workouts. I had to go back to the menu and fast forward through the warm up while running in place to move on to level 3.

Morning Ladies,

This morning was 10lb Slimdown Xtreme Lower Body and Weider X-Factor ST Week 2.

Sue, That recipe sounds really good. I know all about those lovely sinus headaches. At the beginning of the warm weather surge I was getting some. That exercise in KCM's workout sounds weird, and can see why you wouldn't be thrilled doing it. The instructor in these Weider workouts does a lot of planks and superman/swimmer type moves. I have not felt this much lower back DOMS in a long time. It is not lower back paink, but DOMS! :D

Susan, I think that S90 and 10lb Slimdown are a lot alike in getting the lower body to feel worked. That is how I'm feeling right now. ;) Congrats to your DS!

Sam, You and I where up at the same time. ;) I was walking the dog at that time though, did you get a chance to see how bright the moon was? :D The workout has lot's of pland and ab work. One of the moves is side plank and you hold that for 45 sec. on each side. I can hold it, but it sure gets you at the end of the 45 sec. ;)

heartymax, Your roast sounds like what I do, but never thought to add the onion soup mix. Sorry to say, but you can't select both levels at the same time. That would be one option that would be great on that workout. If I remember you can use the skip button to get past the warm-up, that might help. Jillian is torture on the abs, but I love it when my abs are being tortured. :eek:

Have a wonderful day!

Hi there! This morning there was no way I was running~ my legs are still store :eek: but I did manage to do the elliptical for 5 miles. Needless to say my legs are sore (again)! Hope to do extra stretching tonight.

Well, I did have my steamed broccoli last night (kids hate the smell) and also a skinny slice of leftover pizza! :eek:

All this talk of beef roast is really making me want to get one on the cooker!:)

Gotta get back to work! Have a great night!
Susan

OMG! I just finished GS Chest and Triceps and my chest is still shaky. Hello DOMS! I should have done a premix instead.

Laurie - I remember lower back DOMS with a Jillian rotation. Yep, it was planks and supermans.

Heartymax - Your recipe sounds good. I'll have to try it.

Susan - I think I would have had pizza and a skinny slice of broccoli instead. :). How are those legs feeling?

Sam - My goodness you're up early. Awesome workout.

Hi Lala!

I'm off tomorrow to get our dishwasher installed. As usual I have a list of other things to get done including some cardio. No kickboxing though. I think my upper body will be way too sore for throwing punches.

Sue---I am so scared f GS Chest and Triceps. I did a Slow and Heavy and GS rotation 1 1/2 years ago. That workout alone can make someone afraid of Cathe. My chest and tri's would hurt for days after doing this workout. I need a new dishwasher so bad but we are hanging in there with it. Maybe next year.

Laurie----I wish Jillian had a DVD like Cathe's Ab Hits in which it was just abs and no cardio. Hey Jillian-----are you listening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan--I hope the stretching is helping your legs. I know I don't stretch enough and I always say I will get better and I never do....

Hi Sam!

Last night I made spaghetti for dinner. I am so proud of myself----I ate less spaghetti than I normally would eat and I added a salad to balance my meal. I love pasta and I know it is ok not to deprive myself as long as I don't eat it too much and eat a smaller portion and balance it off with a veggie. I packed a small amount to take for my lunch wiht a salad but I don't think I am going to take it. I am going to take a salad like I have been for a the last few days and top it with some left over chicken breast that I backed with the french onions a few days ago.

This morning was STS Back and Triceps and my own verion of 5 minutes of abs.

Have a great day ladies!

Morning Ladies,

Weider X-Factor ST Week 2, and 10lb Slimdown Xtreme Yoga for me this morning. From what I can see it seems that every other week you do the X workouts 4 times during the week instead of three. Loved my workout today.

Susan, You go and torture those legs! Maybe some pilates is in order to give those legs some relief. :D The yoga this mornings was really nice on the body. I am having steamed broccoli tonight with our fish, but my dd's love broccoli. ;)

Sue, Oh you had push-up torture! Sounds like a theme around here with someone torturing some part of their body. :eek: Congrats on the new dishwasher, I got one last year so know how wonderful that appliance is. :D Hope you enjoy some of your day off even if you have a lot of things to do.

heartymax, It would be nice of Jillian to do that, guess you could do her 6w6p workout by taking out all the cardio exercises. ;) I was on videofitness yesterday, and there was a post that Jillian is putting out a 90 day series of 15 DVD's. Will probably be looking at it, but it will have to get under $100 for me to consider. You and I are having the same lunch with salad and chicken breast.

Have a great day!

*YAWN* I cannot wake up this morning! I dutifully crawled out of bed and did Jari's Slim & Lean, yawning the whole time.

Laurie- It's nice to love a workout. I'm never sorry I worked out, but some days, everything's just clicking.

Heartymax- Have you ever tried spaghetti rigate? I get the Barilla kind; it's spaghetti with ridges in it, and something about the texture makes it completely irresistable. Hmm... can you tell I love pasta? Anyway, I tried it a couple months ago, and now we use it in almost all our pasta recipes.

Sue- Oh dear... pushup torture! I enjoy pushups for about five reps :confused:

Susan- I'm with Heartymax, I would've done the opposite :) Although, one of my favorite quick lunches is steamed broccoli with soy sauce, garlic powder and a little sesame oil drizzled on top. It makes me feel like I'm eating Chinese takeout. Mmmm... now I'm craving that instead of the spinach salad I packed for lunch :p

I may take a quick nap today when I put DS down, but after that I've got some serious dog training to do! We bought some training videos and a special collar. It's about time Elliot learned some manners. We had some bad experiences over Christmas that made us realize we have to do some serious, focused training with him... especially if we ever want to have another baby. He doesn't bite, he's just... well, naughty! Wish me luck!

Cardio done. :). I did Step Blast Combos 1-3. Such a fun workout but man am I out of shape! I had to keep pausing to catch my breath and my legs felt like lead. Didn't help that DH was snoring and keeping me awake. I nudged him at least a dozen times before I went to sleep on the coach and I just don't sleep as well as in my bed.

Heartymax - We've been living with a leaking dishwasher for a while now. The door breaking was the last straw. Chicken breast with French onions sounds yummy. I've got to get back in the salad kick.

Laurie - Pushup torture is right! I forgot about those until I got my worksheet out. I used pushup handlebars which makes them easier IMO. Still tough though. I saw on VF about the new Jillian program, too. Was wondering what she was going to do now that she's no longer on The Doctors. She's just too scary and radical in her approach to nutrition and healthy living for the mainstream public. I like listening to her podcasts even though I don't follow all her advice. A lot of Jillian haters on VF which bugs me because they take things she says and does (like when she was on BL) out of context. That being said, I will wait for more info and hope the price comes down. Maybe we can get a $20 deal like S90?!

Sam - Never heard of spaghetti rigate. I'm going to look for that in the store today. We need a quick dinner in case the dishwasher guy is still here before DS' appt. tonight.

Hi there! Got up to do S90 Chest & Back today. My legs are finally starting to feel normal. Not completely pain free, but almost. I did stretch for about 25 mn las tnight and I think that helped. I am supposed to run tomorrow morning... hopefully I beat the snow that's heading this way!

I had to run out and buy a pair of snow boots before work today! No not prepared for this 5-8"!:eek:

Laurie, you always are on top of who is coming out with what! Now don't go tempting me with another 90 series! I still want to get Insanity so I can use it B4 Summer!

Sam, I remember those puppy training days. Lucky for us Ruby was/is very smart so it never took long.However, boys tend to be a little tougher to train!;)

Sue, we just got our new dishwasher last Summer and I love it! Don't know how I went 5 months before buying a new one after the old one broke. I just kept searching for the perfect one...

Hi Heartymax, you are doing great with your workouts!:) Looks like we are all starting the year off on the right track!

I have decided not to weigh myself everyday like I normally do. I am going to "attempt" to weigh in on Tuesdays and Saturdays. We'll see how that goes...

Have a great day ladies! It's DH's Birthday today. I plan to only have a small slice of chocolate cake.... but I do LOVE cake!:)

See ya~ Susan

Laurie---it appears that everyone is creating some form of a 90 day workout these days.

Sam--I have not tried rigate----but you can bet it will be on my shopping list this weekend!

Susan---glad your legs are feeling better. I am guilty of weighing every single day also. I weigh the same time every morning after I get up. I used to just track my weight from Sunday to Sunday for comparisons even though I weighed everyday still. Maybe if I hid the scale it wouldn't be so tempting.

Sue---I have to catch my breath too so as long as you are moving you are doing great! Hang in there. Cardio is not necessarily my favorite. Funny----because I used to love it until I fell in love with strength training.

This morning was Hiit 30/30 followed by Jillians 6 pack abs. I think those two workouts compliment each other well.

Morning Ladies,

This morning was 10lb Slimdown Xtreme Cardio Kickboxing (w/gloves), and the Bonus Buns.

Sam, Have fun with the dog training, I actually enjoyed it when I took a class through the Humane Society. Hope you where able to get in some sleep, it is so tough to get your body going when it is tired.

Sue, Another sleep deprived lady! :( Totally agree with you on Jillians nutrition, I could never live my life around food the way her approach describes. One can only strive to do their best to try to go as natural as possible. Oh I would snap up those workouts if they where as inexpensive as S90. One reason I like the Weider workouts so much also. Sure am getting a good workout for the $.

Susan, Happy Birthday to your DH! I weigh myself everyday also, it just keeps me from getting out of control. I think this is the first week I have been eating really really well, so if I keep this up I can probably do the same as you. Right now there is a huge box of donuts next to the microwave. Tell the truth it isn't tempting me right now. :eek:

heartymax, Great combo, looks like you are doing a Jillian rotation right now. I have been tempted to do a 4 week rotation of hers also. After the Weider workouts I might try that out with STS. ;)

Have a great day!

Good morning, ladies. I could not get out of bed this morning. I think my body needed to catch up from the night before. I slept an extra two hours and it did my body good; I feel much better today. DH is home with DS this morning because he's working from home, so I won't feel guilty crating Elliot and squeezing in some cardio and abs. I'm not sure yet if I want to do something short and sweet liike Hiit, or something longer like Imax2... decisions, decisions.

Laurie- Training is going very slooowly. Elliot is quite stubborn. I've been working on the "down" command for two days, and even though he stays once he's down, he still won't do it on his own. Little brat... :p

Heartymax- Sounds like a good workout. I don't have six pack abs, but I may do something similar.

Susan- Glad your legs are starting to feel better. I weigh myself everyday, too. It keeps me accountable, but I tend to stress over every little weight fluctuation. This is the two weeks out of every month when I weigh about five pounds more than the other two weeks. Even though I've learned that it's perfectly normal for me, I get all bent out of shape and crabby about it. I've even gone so far as to have my DH hide the scale :eek:

Sue- Step Blast is tougher than it looks! Even without the blasts at the end, I'm always huffing and puffing my way through it. Most of the time, I don't use risers for that one at all :eek: I know what you mean about the Jillian haters on VF. I'm not a fan, just because I can't stand constant chatter in any workout. If she had "Cues Only" setting on her dvds I'm sure I'd buy them more because I know they're great workouts. It seems silly to waste so much energy bashing her personally. What's the point???

Have a great day everyone. Today we continue the saga of the "down" command. This dog has no respect for me :rolleyes:

Susan - I'm just the opposite when it comes to weighing. I do it maybe once a month?? I then I wonder why my clothes are getting tight. :mad: I just know it's going to be bad news and I don't need a number to make me feel even worse about myself. I need to start monitoring at least once a week though.

Heartymax - I couldn't find spaghetti regate at the grocery store yesterday - only penne regate. It was a smaller grocery store though. I'll check at a bigger store. Sometimes I'm moving while catching my breath and sometimes I'm sitting for just a few seconds on the coach. :eek: I feel like my knees will buckle if I don't sit and it's literally no more than 15 seconds. Then I get up and walk around until my HR is down to the 140s. I have 6 pack abs but haven't tried it yet. One of these days. . .

Laurie - Maybe other instructors will start to see the trend in lower priced workouts. We can only hope!

Sam - I've had many, many mornings where I couldn't get out of bed. Maybe I'll try no risers next time with Step Blast. Makes sense. I've been lowering the weights I use in my strength workouts since the last time I used them (and was in better shape) so why shouldn't I make the cardio a little easier until my fitness improves there, too?

Did GS Legs Timesaver 33 min. this morning. Had an extra 10 min. so I did inner/outer thigh work with the band from the Mix and Match menu. My chest and tris still hurt. Hope it doesn't affect my ability to shovel tonight. I hope it's only a few inches and not 8. Our new dishwasher is nice. It's so much deeper than the old one and I'm glad we went with the stainless steel tub. Our tub in the old one was so discolored it was gross. The installation guy said it would have cost at least $300 to fix the old one so I'm glad we didn't do that. Was also happy there was no water damage to the Pergo floor underneath.

Does anyone know of a place to buy size 15 Mens athletic shoes? DS14 wears size 15 and found out yesterday at the doctor that he's been wearing his size 14s because he doesn't like the style of the size 15s he got from his cousin. Argh! No wonder he keeps getting ingrown toenails. So my next mission is to get shoes that he likes and that fit. A place that will measure your feet would be great. I know I can order over the internet but I'd prefer an actual store.

Sam----glad you listened to your body and stayed in bed for some extra sleep yesterday.

Sue---I don't know about a place to buy shoes but I will ask my coworker whose son wears a similar size to see if she knows. They may purchase over the internet but I am not sure. If I find something out, I will post it this afternoon.

Laurie---I am trying to get in some fun things along with my STS rotation so I am having fun with Jillian right now. I don't like Jillian enough to pay $90 for one of her rotations so I know I won't ever consider the idea. Then again--I am not making any workout purchases for a while. I am planning to use what I have---since I am definitely not deprived with workouts!:D

Susan---hope your DH had a great bday celebration.

This morning was After Burn. That is one tough workout. I know I have done it before but I must have done a premix or skip a section because I do not recall the walking planks on the sliders when you move forward and do the push ups. There is no way I would forget that torture. I did a few. I do feel that my abs got a good workout with After Burn. Tomorrow is STS Legs.....I will see how my legs feel since I did After Burn today. I tried to keep the weights light but it seems like it worked the legs a bit.

Have a great weekend! The temps are dropping so it will be an indoor weekend for us.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.