Buff Badgers 2/25-2/29

lvnascar

Cathlete
Morning BB's,

Todays workout was a 2m run, which I was able to do a 10m mile on. I also got the first half of Back & Biceps in, will do the rest after dance class. Along with some ab work.

Sue, How was your mini vaction. Hard to get back to reality isn't it. :D

Susan, Did you manage to get out of DH's way working away on that spare bathroom? :D

What great weather we had for the weekend. Our dog is officially 100% better, but will still continue to take her antibiotic for a few more days. I find that hot dogs work the best for getting her to take that pill. :9

Have a great day!

Laurie

Laurie - The mini vacation was fun UNTIL DS came down with a rash Friday night. He was actually in pain and we almost ran to Walmart for hydrocortisone until I thought of him trying a bath to see if that would help. It did and he was able to sleep. It came on suddenly and only affected him. However, he did more swimming than the rest of us. In fact, I think he spent close to every waking minute other than when eating or using the restroom in the water.;-) We called the front desk to let them know and see if they had anything - they didn't. Talked to another family Saturday night who was also there on Friday and their 2 kids came down with a rash, too! I spent some time researching this when we got home and I think the chlorine/ph levels were off. There was a case of this at a Great Wolf in Ohio. DS in fine now. It still itched a bit Saturday and Sunday though.

Susan - How does the remodeling work look?

Kept up with my workouts over the long weekend. Did KPC before we left on Thursday, 20 min. on treadmill & 20 min. on recumbent at the hotel on Friday, HSC when we got back Saturday night and Sunday was Imax2 intervals 6-10. PLB this morning.

Sue

Hi BBs,
I had the kettlebell workshop this weekend and am still not walking too well. I liked them but not loving them but maybe that will change. I will continue to experiment but first need to get a lighter KB for some of the moves. Based on the amount of DOMS I have, they were doing something and working the whole body. I was sore all over even mostly using a lighter KB (4 kg) but more in the lower body. I can see the value of these but not to the point that I would use these exclusively. The workshop was 4 hours and we learned (and practiced) the basic moves. He also showed us some advanced moves but I can't even imagine those at this point. I am glad I went esp since the trainer is moving to TX and this was the last workshop. Amy Bento is coming out with a KB DVD that is going to be short so looking forward to that. I already have a few too but these are easy to just do on their own.

Laurie - glad your pup is better! Our dog is easy with pills. As long as he thinks something is a treat, he will catch it and swallow it. Saturday we are finally into March so hopefully we will be having more great weather. Not tonight though.

Hi All!

Yeah, the kids and I ran errands for a while while DH and his friend
banged away in the basement. They have more to do but we are waiting for the plumber to come and do some more work.

Saturday I did the elliptical for an hour and Sunday was my "off" day.Today I did a 40mn walk and PUB.

Sue, sorry your son got a rash! Glad to hear he's no longer itchy!

Laurie, happy to see Cami feeling so much better!

Marie, hope your DOMS don't last too long! I had to do PUB today, I still had slight DOMS from last week! :eek:

BYE! Susan

Morning BB's,

Todays workout was MTV Yoga.

While walking the dog this morning I landed on my backside. Cami came and gave me a kiss to make if all better. :7 :7 Dang slippery this morning, to bad the plow decided to come through our area after the dog was walked. x(

Sue, Oh that rash sounds awful. The chemical mix in the pools can be a problem at times. Glad the bath worked to give some relief. Usually it is the hot tubs that have the problems. So many little kids in the thing peeing. My brother told me that if you see LOTS of foam in the hot tub, don't go in. The foam is actually the chemicals and bacteria reaction. x( He worked in a hotel for many years.

Susan, How long will it take for the project to get finished. Is this going to be a full bathroom with a shower too? Having a shower in the basement can be handy. ;-)

Marie, So have you decided to invest in some KB's? Will your gym be offering classes for these? Wish my Cami was good at taking her meds like your dogs. Just glad she doesn't have to chew hot dogs so much. Otherwise the hard stuff just seems to fall out of her mouth. :D

Hope Jill is not under a pile of tax forms.

Have a great day!

Laurie

Laurie - that is so sweet that Cami came over to give you a kiss when you fell! What a sweetie!!! Did you try peanut butter for the pills?

I haven't seen any classes at the gym for kettlebells. At one time they had some sessions but I haven't seen anything recently. I thought of checking to see if any of the trainers use them since it would help to have some follow-up instruction. I did order a couple lighter ones to add to the one I bought from Target. I have a couple of DVDs too that I can refer to and see how these help with form. Finally today I can tie my shoes again. Supposedly the workouts are very efficient in working the whole body. Based on my DOMS, I think they might be right.

Sue - that rash sounds terrible. Hope it is better now. Poor guy must have been really uncomfortable.

Susan - good luck on the remodeling. Everytime we do anything it always ends up being more complicated than expected.

I did a Caribbean kickboxing Workout this morning. I am trying to find "warm" workouts to get me through this winter. Thankfully not as much snow last night as expected.

Laurie - DS did spend a lot of time in the hot tub with the basketball hoop (I think it was a hot tub?). Last night at baseball practice we heard about 2 more kids that got the rash that also stayed at the same hotel. Surprised I didn't get it. I LOVE the hot tub. But yes, the water was foamy - yuck!

Marie - Is kettlebell training more like weight training or functional fitness? I'm not a fan of FF but if it's a twist on weight training I may consider it. I've finally decided to cave on STS so now have to order before the price increase. At least I have a gift card to use so it won't be so expensive.

Jill - Hang in there if you happen to emerge from your pile of tax forms and read this.

Susan - I do PUB tomorrow. Even though I've been going heavier I haven't had any upper body DOMS. Still kicks my butt though.

Got an extra cardio workout in last night with 10-10-10. This morning was a cadio mish-mosh of Kelly's Step Kickbox, Lowmax Interval 7 and Step Blast Challenge. I just couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do! Also did All Step abs.

Sue

Sue - I think FF with a twist on weight training might be a good way to describe it. Some moves are what they call ballistic while others are slow. You can find some clips of the moves on You Tube and at www.artofstrength.com to see what you think. Target sells kettlebells (10, 15, or 20#s) and I bought a 15# one. It comes with a DVD but I haven't looked at it in a while. I am OK with this weight for things like the swings but for other things (like when you are holding it over your head) I need lighter but you are much stronger than me. STS is sounding better all the time.

Thanks for the info, Marie! I'd feel guilty spending any more money right now if I'm ordering STS soon. Will have to wait for the guilt to go away so I can spend again. :+

Sue

HI Ladies! Laurie, hope your back doesn't hurt after the fall! Cami is sure a sweety! Whenever I slip or fall, Ruby just looks back at my like " Get up would ya? I got places to go!" ;-)

The new bathroom will have a shower as well and hopefully it'll be done by the end of March. We're waiting for the plumber to get back to us. After that my DH wants to build me my own exercise room! That will be so nice!

Last week I ordered Tae Bo Bootcamp Elite Cardio Burn. I received it today and did this today. I worked up a sweat but didn't really find it all that hard. He's definetly no Cathe! We'll see how I like it the next time.

Sue, you must be one strong woman to not be geting DOMS. Or, I must be a wimpy woman! LOL!

Talk to you all soon! Susan

Morning BB's,

Todays workout was Legs & Back / Ab Hits / 1.5m run (after work)

I ran 3 miles with oldest DD yesterday, and it was wonderful to see that girl smile from ear to ear. She doesn't like running on the treadmill. I told her to run ahead of me, and she did. I'm way slower than she is. :7 :7 Youngest wants to come out with us too, so I'm thinking that she can run with me tonight.

Susan, You DH is great in my book. Making you a workout room is very nice. He would be using it too I'm guessing. :D

Sue, Even though your workout was a mish-mosh it sounds like it was fun. Changing things up a bit never hurt anyone. :D

Marie, I never thought of the peanut butter, I wonder if she would just try licking it off the pill. :D I have been sticking it in a piece of string cheese, and that is working too. Only three more pills to go. At first I didn't understand what you meant by warm workouts. :D :D Then realized that your workout was in the Caribbean. :D :D Maybe if you have Gilad, doesn't he workout in the tropics someplace. :D

Have a great day!

Laurie

Marie - I watched that kettlebell clip last night. It makes me sore just watching it! Wish the darn things weren't so expensive.

Lori - Another great workout for you as usual. Are you thinking of entering any races this year with all the running you've been doing? Cool that your DDs want to run with you.

Susan - How sweet of your DH to build you a workout room! He sounds pretty handy to have around.

Slept in this morning and it felt great! Hair appointment tonight so it will be a rest day for me. PUB tomorrow. Went to Dojo last night. We attached tubing to our belts for added tension and practiced our kicks. Kind of hard for you to imagine I'm sure but it made it much tougher to keep your balance and land solid. I REALLY need to work on my balance. At least I could do the side planks, pushups and situps without a problem. Everyone else was moaning and groaning - hee hee!

Sue

HI there!

Laurie, the only way I can get Ruby to take any medication is by putting it in peanut butter. She LOVES it!

Today is PLB for me,plus I walked for 40mn this morning. I decided I will get back into running in the Spring. I was going to do it now but I hate bundling up and I don't like wet feet so I will wait a little bit longer. I thought I'd add it in 3 mornings a week. I was telling my hubby it wasn't all that long ago I was running 5-7 miles 5 days a week! That was about 4 years ago. I hope to work my way back!

Have a good night! Sue, I hope you are enjoying the rest day!

Susan

Morning BB's,

Todays workout was Kimberly Spreen's Kickbox Bootcamp. Had a great time with this one. She uses the step with this one, and I really enjoyed the workout.

Ran with DD again last night, and it was a good short run. She is going to be going out today for a 2 mile run. I am not scheduled to run again until either tomorrow or Saturday. I'm thinking that Sat will be the best day. :D

Sue, I don't know yet if I will be doing a race. I would like to try one. LOL about the moaning class. ^^^^5 to you though for not being one of the moaners, that had to feel great. :) What type of tubing do they use for those kicks? That must have been great for the legs.

Susan, Wow on the miles/day that you used to get from running. I am up to about 10 miles per week. :7 :7 I am going at a slow pace. I decided to use Hal Higdon's Novice Supreme marathon training. NOT that I'm actually going to do a marathon, I just wanted to increase my running. I have only been doing the running for 4 weeks, and I can already see an improvement in my legs. ;)

Have a great day,

Laurie

Laurie - We used rubber tubing with velcro loops at both ends and looped the velcro around our belts. The middle part of the tubing was tied to standing heavy boxing bags. If I kept my balance better it worked have worked my legs more but I really had trouble doing kicks this way. Oh, well. At least I got to show off doing my side planks. ;-) Will have to checkout Kickbox Bootcamp. I'm a new Kimberly Spreen fan. :)

Did PUB this morning. I am just amazed at how much heavier I'm going with the weights in this one! I've had this one ever since it came out and was stuck at the same weights for a long time. I think it was more of a mental block than anything. "I can't lift heavier - it'll be too hard." A few weeks ago I made up my mind to try heavier and haven't gone back. I think reading and getting psyched about STS is what got me past my mental block. :)

Jazz band concert tonight. Can't wait for the weekend. Tired. . .

Sue

HI ladies!

Laurie, I have heard of the Hal Higdon training before. Glad you are doing so well. Before you know it, you'll be running 10 miles no problem! ;-)

Sue, What is the heaviest weight you use for PUB ( if you don't mind me asking)? I told my Dh I wanted to buy some 30# dumbbells cause I am trying to push myself and the highest I have is 25#. He doesn't think I can lift them! HA! I'll show him..... Keep pushing Sue!

Today was the elliptical for 45mn(Random program). Tomorrow is PUB for me again.

I too am ready for the weekend. I have Monday off and am looking forward to a quiet day!

Bye for now- Susan

Susan - I'm using 30s for chest & back. I do 25/27.5/30/27.5/25 for the pyramid but I add extra rest time in-between. Makes the workout longer but I like going heavier.

Slept in this morning. I think I'm fighting off a cold or something or maybe just plain exhausted. It's been a busy week. I'm taking the afternoon off so will get my cardio in then.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sue

Morning BB's,

Todays workout was Stretch X. Felt good to get those legs stretched out from the running.

Sue, Hope you are not getting this cold that is going around. Have a great time with your half day off. That tubing does sound like it would make your balance very hard. The Kimberly Spreen workout also has the bodybar in it. The actual workout cardio portion of the workout is only 38 min. but the heart rate does get up there. It has 15 min of ab work and stretch. The ab work is very good though.

Susan, Oh you can do 30lbs no problem. What is your DH thinking. ;-) Thanks for the confidence in my ability to crank out 10 miles. :7 :7 I find that the running has been helping with the abs too. I noticed this the last time I got up in the miles, but then I had the foot and knee problems last year. Guess we just need to go with what works for our bodies. :D

Have a great day,

Laurie

Hi there! Quick check-in. Busy, busy day! Did not get PUB in but I will be doing it first thing Saturday morning!

No big plans for the weekend. DH has to work.:-( Maybe I'll go get those 30 pounders! ;-)

Have a great weekend! Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.