BFL, closing out 2007...BRING ON 2008!!!!

banslug

Cathlete
OH MY! Looks like I missed a lot yesterday. SORRY! I had a house full of boys and they eventually left around 4pm, then BF came over the we worked on my car (I’m having problems but I’m not admitting it, lol) and then we ate dinner and the 4 of us played Dart Tag for like 3 HOURS last night! lol

OK….I’ve gone back and tried to answer all the questions for you all. BE SURE TO READ each person’s ‘personal’ response, because it will answer something else that YOU asked. Lol (PLEASE keep in mind…I’m still learning also. One successful BFL challenge does not make me an expert! LOL Although I’m flattered! HA!)

Belinda-each person is different as far as the weight workout. See what you like to do. Try the weight workouts as produced/suggested in the BFL book, or use Cathe. BUT…..I really like PUB/PLB. They fit SOOOO well with the BFL program, not to mention you get your Cathe fix, right! Last challenge, I also used Leaner Legs and GS Legs also. I’m using pretty heavy weights too for these workouts, and I think that’s what is really working for me! Again, it’s a matter of opinion. Also, Belinda, my email got sent back to me as ‘undelivered’ to your address book.

Jennifer-THANKS for that soup recipe! I’ve copied and added it to my ‘to try’ file! LOL As for portion size….on the recipes that I shared, each recipe I’ve noted what a portion size is. I have a ladle that is ½ C, so I know that for a 1C serving, I just take 2 scoops. Another way to do it is to look at the carb and protein numbers, if the recipe includes them. I shoot for 24grams each of carbs and protein in a serving. I remember reading somewhere (I think it was Tosca Reno’s cookbook) that said the body cannot/does not process more than 25g of protein at a time. So if the nutritional #s are included in a recipe, I look at that to judge a portion. (now, it can get a bit confusing when you do what I do….and that’s to bulk up recipes with extra veggies)
Soooooooooooo…let’s say a recipe says 1 serving is a cup, and that that 1 cup serving has 18g carbs and 16g protein. That’s close to my ’24 gram rule’ so I will either eat 1 cup, or I MAY add just a bit more to my bowl simply to get close to that ’24 rule’. If a serving size is 1 C and the carb/protein are, say, 12 each, then I will almost always eat 1 ½ cups or even double the serving and eat 2 full cups.
Does that make ANY sense? Let me know if it doesn’t and I’ll try to be clearer! I HOPE THAT HELPS SOME!

Susan-yes….those photos ARE very motivating, aren’t they????? Good FOR YOU for doing it, though! That’s a huge step! Your meals….sometimes it’s tough to get the hang of looking at one number, when you’re used to looking at the other. Read what I posted to Jennifer about about the number of carbs and protein. Then see if you can keep your eye on that when you eat oatmeal, pea soup, etc.

Michelle-SO glad you liked the chicken soup! I LOVE SOUP, STEW, CHILI dishes and would eat them all 6 meals if I could! LOL Also, I LOVE shadows! lol It lets me know I’m not ALONE throughout this!

OK…now for my daily post to you all (lol). GOOD MORNING, crew! It’s Monday. Day 1. Are you all ready? Have you written down your goals? What do you want to accomplish over the next few days, weeks, and months? If 12 weeks (or 84 days) seems too big or daunting, then break it down. Let’s say today is day 1 of 7. Then next Monday we’ll start at day 1 of 7 again. Make it thru these 12 weeks with consistancy (that does NOT mean perfection) and you just WAIT to see how different you feel in the end!

We’re in this together! You’ve got nothing to lose over these next 12 weeks, besides perhaps inches, some weight, and maybe a bad habit or too? lol

OK….I was up early this morning. My daily goal is to have my workout done and to be showered and dressed before the kids get out of bed. My workout was PLB. I’m using pretty heavy weights at this point, and I’m making some changes and additions to that workout as it’s produced. What does that mean? lol It means my legs are shaking ALREADY! YEAH….I’ll be feeling it tomorrow, that’s for sure! (specifically, I used 40/50/60/50/40 barbell for leg presses; I did Bulgarian Squats in place of the static lunges using dumbbells that equaled the same….2-20s, 2-25s, and 2-30s; I did the squats/plie squats using 50/60/70/60/50; then the deadlifts using the same weights, then I added on a pyramid of leg extensions on my weight bench using the deadlift chapter for Cathe’s cuesing using 57.75lbs/68.75lbs/79.75lbs and then down again; THEN I managed to do the floor work, which always kills me after using such heavy weights.)

Tonight is New Year's Eve. What are your plans? Any challenges you'll need to overcome? For me, I'm going to a friend's house, where there will be LOTS of food and drinks. I'm planning on NO alcohol (which isn't much of a challenge anyway, lol) and NO food that is not CLEAN!!!!! I will NOT ruin Day #1 with unclean food. Meal 6 usually falls around the time the party starts tonight, so I’ll ‘allow’ myself something clean while there (most likely cheese and a few wheat crackers or something similar.)

OK….off to start my day with a warm shower. I’ll be in and out during the day to check out who all joined us today.

Gayle

p.s. SORRY for the long post….chatty today and LOTS of info to share. lol

Good Morning Everyone!
Gayle thanks for all your info! And instead of my pb in the morning I am going for egg whites. I just got really sick of eggs, but maybe now I can handle them for a while. I really want to be bfl as much as possible.
Weight-121.4. I hope to lose 1 pound a week and my goal is 110-112.
I am headed to do PLB now.
Hope everyone feels great today!

Good morning all - I'm ready to start week 5/day 29.

Yesterday was a rest day, but I did a 3 mile run with my nephew. If trying to keep up with a 14 year old high school cross country runner isn't HIIT, then I don't know what is! We were going to do a 5K tomorrow, but looks like we're getting dumped on with 5-8" tonight, so tomorrow's race probably isn't going to happen.

So, my results after 4 weeks are . . .

Weight down 5 #'s to 149!!!!!
Body fat down 3% to 35%
Chest down 1/2"
Waist down 3/4"
Hips down 1/2" (surprised me in a good way; this fat is really stubborn!)
Thighs down 1/2" each
Biceps stayed the same

I met my first physical fitness goal - the weight! Now that I'm under that one, I really don't care what the scale says - now just inches. And I do like the way clothes are fitting looser.

Quickly reviewing the weekend posts -

Looks like lots of food ideas were tossed around. I still need to try the protein pancakes, though I also found a protein waffle recipe that I'm interested in trying. A typical (work) day menu for me is:

breakfast - protein shake
a.m. snack - banana and light string cheese
lunch - salad and turkey wrap on whole wheat tortilla
p.m. snack - apple and handful of raw almonds
dinner - a meat, a carb and veggies (usually salad)
bedtime - another protein shake

Gayle - thanks for starting the thread again - you always bring so much energy!

Michelle - I'm glad you liked to pancakes better when toasted. Gives me more incentive to try them.

Jennifer - I don't know about fish oil for joints, but I take them for my heart (my family has a history of heart disease) - high in omega 3's. I'll need to try the soup recipe you posted this weekend.

Heidi - enjoy the warm sunny south! I so love going to the beach!

Kathy G. - I'm inspired by your training. I'm thinking about a marathon in 2008 - still thinking though

Welcome Susan and Belinda!

Still need to get in today's workout. I'm debating that I will stick with more of a BFL exercise regimen instead of switch to 4DS. I'm really happy with the results so far. I'll figure something out.

Been off work all last week, and we're tending to get a bit lazy. Also have a house full of people (my folks and my sister's kids) until Wednesday. Tonight is an evening of games at our house.

Hope you all have an enjoyable evening.

Good morning ladies!!!

I'll be back to do personals later -- my mind is racing right now so I'll need to come back and type!

However I just HAD to stop by and say "YEAH, we are doing it!!"

I actually got out of bed at 6:30 this morning -- yes, on a non-working morning because I couldn't wait to work out . Felt like I had all of you doing the class with me. It was wonderful! I did PLB - I must say the ball work after the weight work is a KILLER!!!

Thanks for posting the weights you use Gayle -- that gives me something to strive for!!

Okay - off to get my breakfast -- I'll be back in a bit.

Michelle
P.S. I have to say, I'm glad we started today. It will make ringing in the New Year tonight a little more special!

Michelle-I figured after the 'shadow' comment, you'd appreciate me posting my weights! LOL And YES...I agree that that ball work kills me too!

...and again I agree with you about your comment of starting today and brining in the New Year in STYLE!

Gayle

Ok PLB done..thats the easy part. The hard part for me is not eating sweets after lunch. If I can do that I can do anything.
Ya'll are doing great!
I agree the ball work is killer, especially outter thighs on the second leg..ouch!!!!

Yes, Gayle -- it's your shadow here! :) I am sooooo glad we started today!!

Okay, I just had cream of wheat with vanilla protein powder and a sprinkle of brown sugar (sweet & low) -- wow, much better than eggs for me!! And also better than oatmeal!!

Susan - I'm 5'2. Too be honest in the last 10 years my weight has fluxuated (sp?) 10-15 pounds almost yearly. I know, I know that is so unhealthy. Exactly one year ago I weighed 120 and by July I was down to 105 and now I'm back up to 115. HOWEVER, even when I lose the weight I don't feel good or really look good at 105. (Need to firm up the arm, reduce the tummy etc.) So this time I want to focus on (yes, some weight loss) but also muscle building. I'd rather weigh more and look strong than weigh less and feel weak.

What I've realized is looking good in bikini has nothing to do with your weight. (Unless of course it has to do with "how much weight you are lifting" - ha ha!!)

Gosh, is anybody else nervous? One day down. I've been down this same road before. I'm going to take your advice Gayle -- and focus on one day at a time. Maybe I'm nervous because I'm thinking this is the last time down this road! :)

Have a great day everyone!!!
Michelle
P.S. Sherry -- those are some great stats!! Keep up the good work!! Now you've got a whole group of us in this challenge with you!!

MIchelle-yes,,,,one day at a time. But let me tell you something that kept me motivated during Challenge 1, and I'm doing it again this round. I keep a family bulletin board in my kitchen. It's got all kinds of things, coupons, pictures, crafts, etc. And I always keep a workout log on there. Nothing fancy, just a small sheet that I made in Excel that has the date and an empty space for that day's workout. I usually keep 5 weeks up there. So I'll print it off every 5 weeks, and just replace it with a new one (oh, and I KEEP ALL my old ones, lol). Anyway, last challenge, I printed off a sheet just like that with all 12 weeks on it. It's LONG and it's the entire length of my bulletin board (lol). At first I thought it would make the 12 weeks seem SO MUCH LONGER, but you know what? I was SOOO motivated each and every day that I wrote in that day's workout. Then seeing each WEEK get filled. Then 5 FULL weeks, then 10..then 12!!!!!!! I was actually going to take an 'after' shot of me holding it up! LOL

ANYWAY.............not sure that's all that interesting to you ladies! HA!

But I also like your comment about looking good in a suit having nothing to do with your weight! When I look at my after picture, the thing I look at EACH TIME (and I look at it ofen, lol) is MY EYES! My eyes just show how much happier and better I feel!

Sherry-Michelle's right....the numbers are looking GREAT! And besides....YOU will be done with your 12 weeks before US! lol

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! Enough chatting on my part. I am finializing my grocery list and the kids and I are off to the store to stock up on good eats. I have a soup recipe that I LOVE and am going to make later this week. It's a Roasted Veggie Soup and it's YUMMY! It would count as a carb, so I'll probably eat it with a piece of grilled chicken or salmon. I'll share it later this week after I make it! PROMISE!

Gayle

Michele,
I was actually thinking of my weight goal a few min ago while I was in the shower. When I wasnt lifting weights I looked ok at 105..that was before I had dd in 2000. Now I would look sickly at anything under 110. My dh likes me at 115. I have a thin face so if I get too thin I look horrible. I think I will shoot for 115 and re-evaluate. I mainly want to be and look strong and fit!
I had 3 egg whies instead of my pb with my ww toast this morning. BTW how old is everyone? I will turn 41 next week.

Good Morning, Ladies~ :)

Happy Monday! :)

I slept in this morning, boy am I going to hate going back to work ..x(

Eating my protein pancakes as I type this. I am going to try my hardest to make this D1...but w/ BF home, he cooks (normally pasta)...I don't get him home much b/c he seems to be always working! If I fail, I promised myself to start Wednesday (1/2/08)...Any one else starting on Weds?

Looks like everyone is have a great day!! Great job on the workouts!!
Going to hit PUB when I finished running around. Need to run to the bank and go to Wawa for my coffee.

Any plans for everyone tonight? Gayle~ Enjoy your party tonight! :) That would be a tough one for me, but I know you can do it!! :)

I weighed myself this morning, I am only up 3 pounds since shoving my face w/ junk for almost 2-weeks...I thought the damage would be a lot worse, well I know those inches are up, I am for sure....will check on that tomorrow.

Height ~ 5'6"
Weight ~ 120 pds.

BBL~ Have a great day!!
XoXo

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~
="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif" alt=

Hi ladies,

I went shopping to Regensburg with my DD Alesia all day! It was her one of her Christmas gifts! I am really tired from shopping!LOL!

I will do PLB today!

Sherry thank you for the welcome!

Gayle I don't have yahoo anymore! My e-mail is [email protected]
Do I use the PLB and PUB from start to finsh? How do you use them???
THANK YOU FOR THE CHRISTMAS GIFT! I got it today! I am so excited, can't wait to try it out!!

Have a great workout and day!

Belinda
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid16930497

Morning everyone! I've enjoyed reading each and everyone of your posts. I'll come back later and do personals (I have some things to do this morning but I wanted to post).

Starting stats:
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 136.2 lbs.
Bodyfat on Tanita Scale: 25.8%
Chest: 36"
Waist: 30"
Hips: 38"
Right thigh: 22"
Left thigh: 21.34"
Right calf: 13.5"
Left calf: 13.25"
Right bicep: 11"
Left bicep: 11"

I'm not going to do a BFL Tracker page, just post weekly pics in my picturetrail account. I'll also post weight every week and only take measurements at week 6 and week 12 (because I detest doing it, lol!)

Here's the ugly of it (it only makes the afters more amazing, right?) ;P

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=18661602&uid=940253

My backside pics are the most frightening for me, I guess I never really look back there and it was a shock to see so much junk in the trunk, lol.

My goals for this challenge are:
1) get back to 125 lbs. and 15% bodyfat
2) decrease my waist measurement to 27" (other problem area)
3) increase my running speed

I did the BFL upper body workout this morning using the journal. I have to increase the weights for chest and shoulders on Friday because I "forget" how much heavier you can go with a one minute rest between sets. I've been doing Cathe for the last few months and got used to lighter weights because she doesn't take long breaks (except for S&H). I also tacked on the push ups from Gym Styles (using my new Perfect Push Up bars which I love) and a drop set of assisted pull ups (using my P90X pull up bar and Iron Wood band). I also did the Core segment of Kathy Smith's Tummy Trimmer (which I need, lol!)

The entire workout clocked in at about an hour so it wasn't over by much. Is everyone else going to do abs only with legs or extra? I'm thinking I'll do on weight lifting days.

I'll be back later,
Kathy G

Belinda - Have fun doing PLB!! Good luck with the ball workout at the end!

Jennifer - Wow, I didn't realize you were 5'6" -- must be nice! I would love to have more height! And only 120 - I'd be eating pb too!! Hang in there girl -- my kids and DH are home today too, it is soooo much harder than when I'm at work and only have my snacks with me.

Kathy - Way to go on posting those pictures. To be honest, you look good, really you do!!! -- actually, we all look good -- we are all trying to go from good to GRRRREAT!! I KNOW you can meet your goals in 12 weeks! So, you like your pushup bars?? A few months ago I could only do 4 pushups -- now I can drop and do --- let me check (gets down and does 10) -- wow, I just did 10 no problem. Gotta love Cathe!! :) Still in most of her workouts she does WAAAY more than I can do -- so that's one of my goals is to up my push ups. Strange, they don't hurt my wrists, but actually my lower back feels it -- which means I need to work on my form!!

Heidi - stay strong on your trip!! :) I know you will!

Okay, I'm popping open my one diet soda for the day. (Wondering, is this okay?) I've downed two bottles of water already this morning. ANOTHER big success for me. It is all about the little steps. :)

Okay all you beautiful strong women -- stay strong!!!

Michelle

Gayle - I'm printing off your first post with the weights you used for PLB. Oh my gosh, how did you even get 60 and 70 pounds over your head?? eeekkk!! ha ha!

I just bought the Troy Lite bar. Love it! It only goes up to 45 pounds. So I can either buy more weights for it or just use dumb bells. However, I'm not to that point yet of needing 60 lbs. But something to strive for. :)

Tell me about the Bulgarian Squats. I HATE lunges. HATE THEM!! Bows head, yes I skipped the last two rounds this morning because I hate them so much. So, I'd love to do something else. :)

I also have a home gym so I can also do the extensions and even leg presses on that. Anything to get out of lunges!!

Thanks!
Michelle

Hi Ladies~

Just finished PUB! I was just curious to see what everyone uses weight wise w/ this DVD. I try to come as close to Cathe if possible, this morning I was a little lighter!

Question - When doing chest workout, mainly flies...why do I feel it in my upper arms (tri's,etc) more than my chest...I hardly ever feel it in the chest...What am I doing wrong? I always tend to have DOMS between my chest and armpit...(does this make sense?)...

Only got 1-glass of water in today. I have a gallon jug in the fridge, I hope to finish by the end of day! Off to have a protein shake.

Michelle~ I wouldn't see why 1-diet soda a day would hurt you...I am a BIG diet coke addict...love it, but I think it tends to bloat me.
Great work getting in your water today!

~Jennifer~
="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif"

Susan-I’ll be 36 in February!!!

Belinda-This morning I did ALL of PLB. There are some days that I’ll do just the standing portion. I’ll try that other address and change it in my address book!

Kathy-might I say CONGRATULATIONS and thank you for sharing your pics. Doesn’t that seem like the absolute HARDEST THING in this entire world to do??? Sharing your pics, numbers, goals….GUTS, girl! I think we are also our worst critics....I don't think you look as bad as YOU think you look! lol For abs, I do them on cardio days. That’s just something I’ve always liked to do.

Michelle-in the BFL book, Phillips says that for every serving of non-water that you drink (i.e. coffee, tea, diet soda), you should add one EXTRA serving of water. As for those heavy weights. LOL on the EEEEK! lol For the squats/plies sets, I put my BB up on the dip bars of my power tower and got under it like a squat rack. Bulgarian Squats are basically one-legged squats with your back leg up on a riser/platform/step. Cathe does them in a bunch of vids (the one that comes to mind is B&G, she calls them one-legged squats; and in Leaner Legs too). I really concentrate, when lowering down, on keeping my torso and shoulders above my butt/hips and REALLY push thru the heel on the floor (sometimes when I have the extra balance, I’ll keep my toes on the foot on the floor OFF the floor. I LOVE THESE! They get me in the ‘arse’ every time! lol

Jennifer-for PUB. Let’s see if I can remember. Chest work I use 13.25/16.25/21.12 (about to increase these slightly), back work I use 15/20/25 (about to increase these as well), shoulders are 4.25/6.25/9.25, tris are 5/8/10, biceps are 11.25/13.25/16.25 (and these will increase this week also). For flies, I think you will feel it between chest and armpits simply because of the stretching motion. But it took me a LONG time to really target the actual CHEST muscle….I try to concentrate on keeping my shoulder blades on the bench by retracting that area before starting the motion. You may want to slow the move down, also, to really concentrate on that area. Hope that helps.

OK….back from the grocery store. I’m headed to the kitchen to make the Veggie Egg White Quiches, Beefy Chili, and some baked potatoes (sweet). YUMMO!

Gayle

Susan~ I turned 36 in August! The RoadTrip was my B-day present to myself this year!! :):)

Gayle~ Thanks for the info.

Just finished my protein shake. Any good recipes out their, mine was down right awful this morning ... :( I will have to check out BFL also for some recipes.

Gotta run to the bank before it closes. I know on Xmas Eve they closed on me by 2 p.m. I just made it last time. Off to shower and do a few things. Have to pick up DD from her Dad's in a bit, then she wants to go to the mall and finish up some shopping w/ her giftcards!

~Jennifer~
="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif" alt=

Hey, Jennifer, how have things been at home with BF??? I was thinking about that the other day? Also, what kind of shake are you using? Just curious.

Gayle

Gayle~

Things are okay w/ BF (Sandro)...He is just a hard a$$ 100% Italian! Gotta love him....but he drinks way too much wine...LOL :)
I was making the EAS 100 % Whey protein in Vanilla...not my favorite, but I ran out of Chocolate. What kind do you use?

~Jennifer~

="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif

I'm with you Jennifer the shakes certainly don't taste like a Dairy Queen Malt -- oops I guess they aren't supposed to!! ha ha. I'd like some good recipes too, now that I have my new blender.

Okay Gayle, I'm going to try those squats - maybe with 5 lb weights, har har!!

I just had Gayle's salsa chicken wraps for lunch! They score a 10 on taste and an 11 on ease!!! Yesterday I threw the chicken and salsa in the crockpot and didn't touch them until last night to store them in the fridge. Took it out today, threw 1/2 cup of it in the microwave and tossed it into a wrap. YUM!!! I even feel full!!

Michelle
P.S. I'm 38 years young!! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.