Alywn, TT- workouts Monday 5/19 (come check in with us!)

RE: Alywn, TT- workouts Monday 5/19 (come check in with...

Gm, Sunny, and Alwyn followers!

I'm new to Alwyn--just downloaded WSFL yesterday (thanks, Sunny! :)) and am trying to figure out whether or not I can do this program for the month of June, with a small tweak. I'm currently training for my first marathon in October, and I need to continue with Sunday long runs. So technically today I am not doing any of his programs, but I'll join the conversations as I think about how I can work this in.

Sunny, since you're doing an iTread, does that mean you're not doing EXACTLY what Alwyn suggests every day?

Have a great day, everyone!

[font face="bradley hand itc" size=+2]~Cathy[/font]

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/th_SnowBunny_tns.jpg
http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

Hello Sunny, Cathy and all who follow.

Well, after a couple days of NROL Miss Sunny somehow managed to convince me to purchase and begin Alywyn's Afterburn program so I am re-starting today with day 1 weights of Afterburn. I am going to do weights and cardio on alternate days. I only plan to do both on the same day on an as need basis.

I calculated my calories for the nutrtion portion of the program and am now putting my food for the past week into Fitday to see what cal range I fall into right now. Once i get an average then I will calculate the cals I will need to consume for the first 4 weeks of the program. I am going to give it my best shot to keep track in Fitday and follow the cal and macronutrient suggestions as closely as possible. It's alot of work as I've used fitday for calorie staggering but if I'm motivated enough, it will get done. SO MOTIVATE ME GIRLS!!!!!:7 }( :7 }(

Sunny: So you will be continuing with Afterburn for now? Stick with me for a month and then you can switch to WSFL if you want, ok?!:)

Cathy: I have to admit I was very surprised to read that you had purchased WSFL. I know you weren't crazy about working out "from a book" which is one of the reasons why you did not get into NROL4W. What changed your mind? Whatever the reason you decided to give it a shot, I'm glad you are joining us! It's going to be so nice having work out buddies to do these programs with!:)

Alrighty...enough talk. It's time for ACTION now! I want to do my work out before DS gets up!

BBL to let you know how it went!;)

Well, ladies - I can certainly tell the Cheetahs (or should I say Sunny?! :+) are enablers. :p I'm starting my TT rotation today. I start with the Big Five for Fat Loss. It's basically 30 minutes of weights followed by 30 minutes of HIIT. I'll be doing the HIIT on my bike. I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the shorter workouts. I will most likely have jury duty this week. x( I have to call back at 11:00.

Sunny: have fun with your cardio! Thanks for enabling all of us.

Cathy: Sounds like a great workout plan for you to follow in the early phases of your training!

Wendy: I have faith in you! You can do count your calories - it IS a pain isn't it?

Good Morning!

Sunny, I am so happy you started this check in. My DH bought TT for Mother's Day. He got lucky and bought it during the bonus time. Or maybe I should say, I got lucky! Enjoy your workout!

Christine, I started the TT Big 5 Circuit yesterday and loved it. I subbed modified pull-ups for the inverted rows and am feeling it today. Hope you don't have jury duty.

Cathy, That's great that you're training for a marathon. I hope you figure out how you can tweak the program to fit your schedule.

Wendy, You CAN do it! Counting calories is a definite pain but will help with results.

Today is 30 minutes of light activity. I'm going to try the cardio portion of the slanted risers today. DH is scoring really high lately. TT and another kettlebell for Mother's Day. STS, slanted risers, a new foam roller and cute workout clothes for my bday. I am giddy! :D:D:D

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

Hi Ladies -

I started Warp Speed this week, but then found out I'm going away on Friday.....so I'll be restarting the program on 5-28 or 5-29 when I return. I already had the scale move slightly after day 3...so I'll really need the program after vacation since I tend to gain on vacation.

I played around and tried a TT workout this morning and was disappointed. It didn't compare to those metabolic circuits in Warp....those are freakin' killer!! So..........that led me to look in my Afterburn II manual to see if he uses them in there (as I've not yet done Afterburn)...and I notice he uses Complexes in Afterburn II that look hard. Just curious if anyone's done workouts based on Complexes and if so, what did you think?

I know I saw a couple back on T-Nation last year that I printed out but the pic's didn't turn out cuz my computer is a piece of crap.

Anyway, I'll join the check in this week, but I'm gonna probably just be playing around with some Valerie Waters stuff or TT stuff this week and start Warp Speed again next week.

I was so skeptical about Alwyn's training, but trying those 10" metabolic circuits really opened my eyes! What does everyone else think about those? Killer, no??

Hi girls.

No time for personals as DS is still in bed and I need to get him up!:eek: Afterburn weight work out #1 is complete. It took alot longer then I thought it would but I was reading the description of each exercise before doing it and it took me a few minutes to get properly set up (ex: seated row to neck) or to figure out how to do the exercise (ex: ShelC) on a couple of them. I did 3 sets of every exercise. At any rate it was an EXCELLENT work out. I feel thoroughly worked out. No complaints here! I will be doing my cardio tmrw so I am done for today.

Time to get the little guy out of his "cage"! LOL He's such a good boy. He's been awake for a while now but doesn't mind playing in his crib until I come to get him. Ofcourse today I am like oh...AN HOUR LATE going up to get him! OOPS! LOL :7

Okay, enough babbling...I'll be back later to see what everyone is up to. :)

Lora, I'd love to hear more about the 10" metabolic circuits. What TT workout did you try? There are so many to choose from. It took me a week to figure out which rotation to try.

I just finished the 30 minute cardio workout on the slanted risers, fun and very light cardio.

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

Good morning, girls!

Boy, you guys are early birds! I didn't get a chance to check in before work, so I apologize for not addressing everyone right now, but like I said, I'm at work and shouldn't even be posting! :eek: I'll catch up later today.

But I will take a minute to report that Day 1 on WSFL workout is done. It was a set of strength thraining, specifically heavy squats, then a circuit of 1) push ups off the ball and swiss ball crunches alternated with 2) reverse lunge/lat pull combo, as many sets of 6 as possible in ten minutes. Then a short HIIT segment on the treadmill consisting of a 3 minute warm-up, then three rounds of 30 seconds of high (9/10) intensity coupled with 90 seconds easy recovery, followed by a 3 minute cool down. It was tough. In fact, during the workout, I was convinced that Alwyn is a sadist. Looking back now, it wasn't so bad.

The diet is going to be a killer though. If I don't lose fat doing this, nothing will work.

For those of you who have WSFL, I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly...in regard to the circuits, that's the two exercise combos alternated over a total of ten minutes, right? It's not combo one, as many sets as possible in ten minutes, then combo two, as many sets as possible in ten minutes, for a total of twenty, is it?

Thanks,

Jen

Good Morning

Ok, I have decided to stick with NROLFW. By following the nutrition recommendations,( and a calorie deficit on week days ) and the workouts, and doing 3 HIIT workouts per week. I can not imagine not losing fat. I will re evaluate at the end of every stage and make a decision. On my future agenda is TT and Afterburn.

So today's was workout #19, stage 2A
Log:
WU: several set of stairs in house for 5 minutes
Front Squat Push Press: 1 x 10 reps @ #30 and 1 x 10 reps @ #35
Step Up: 2/10 reps #23 in each hand (I just picked up where I left off in stage 1)
Dumbbell One Point Row: #15 in each hand 2 x10 reps each leg
Static Lunge, rear foot elevated: 2 x 10 reps (each side) #20 DBs
Pushups: 2 x 20 reps regular style
Plank: 1 x 75 seconds, 1 x 90 seconds w/hands on inverted BOSU
Cable Horizontal Wood Chop 2 x 10 reps #22 pounds.
follow up with iTread #24 run-intervals first 30 minutes only.

Ladies this should be fun to compare the different workouts. I would love to see us all share our logs.

Christine- have fun with TT I am pretty sure I will get to those workouts at some point.

Sunny- I chose the same iTread today as you! But I only did 30". Those first 30 minutes are not really HIIT, but they were a good challenge any way. I added speed the last two minutes to challenge myself and then did a .3 mile walk with a 4%, 5%, and 10% hill after the 30 minutes were over.

Wendy (and all STS owners)- are you gonna dump us when STS comes out? I will forgive you. But It would interesting to see some people finish up their stated plans so we can see how the plans worked for them.

PS- I did not use Spark people last week, but I am back to recording again this week. It does make a huge difference for this food lover.

edit~ for typos

[font color=lime green][font size +3]Judy "Likes2bfit"

http://www.picturetrail.com/jafitmama

Judy: LOL, no, I am not planning on "dumping" you girls upon STS' arrival. I am committed to Afterburn and NROL right up until my October race. What happens after that is TBD though. STS may be a good plan in conjunction with my full mary training starting in November but I'll have to wait and see. :)

hey ladies,

yay!! i am glad to see so many of us!!

just popped in to say:

wendy- no i am not going anywhere, i am continuing with AB until i am finished!

cathy- i am following the AB program! i hope you give WS a go. i think you will be fine working out to a written program vs. a dvd. get to listen to your own music!

christine- great to see you here! you are welcome.

judy- i did the 30 min runintervals.

jen- i started working (training) at 6:30 am so i did my run on the TM before.

i will check back in later for more personals. off to a meeting:eek:

"I was so skeptical about Alwyn's training, but trying those 10" metabolic circuits really opened my eyes! What does everyone else think about those? Killer, no??"

Yes, ITA, killer! But I hope I'm doing them right? Is the entire circuit section of the workout (Workout 1 specifically) a total of 10 minutes, or should I have done a total of twenty today? I so confused! I only did ten minutes, and I'm pretty sure that if I had to do twenty I would have tossed my cookies this morning.

Sunny: Are you planning on doing the bonus stage that is geared for folks getting ready for a competition? The diet is INSANE!!!:eek: I think I'll skip that part. ;)

Hey! Does P90X count? I think there use to be a P90X checkin wasn't there? Or is that the X'ers???? Oh I think it is...LOL
Anyway...Im following the P90X series. Just started yesterday. Today I have already done a 7 mile run and now I am going to get started with Plyometrics. Yesterdays workout was chest and back. It was nice to get my muscles worked in a different way...but I have to say, I don't have that much DOMS.

I will check back in for personnals later!!!
Lori:)

>>>Yesterdays workout was >chest and back. It was nice to get my muscles worked in a different way...but I have to say, I don't have that much DOMS.<<<

Okay girl. If you don't have big DOMS from C&B then you aren't doing pull ups and you can't be doing lots of reps on the push ups. If you ARE and you STILL aren't really hurtin' then you are freakin' wonderwoman!:eek: }( :eek: Ofcourse you know...there's always DOMS day 2 which is known to be WORSE then day one! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAH!;)

There used to be 2 X check-ins. The one I was in last year is now the cabs and abs thread but we fade in and out of doing the X these days. You can join it if you'd like. I don't know if the other one is still around or not. I just took a peek and didn't notice it but perhaps they've changed thier name as well.

Get yer butt back to the Cheetah check in runner girl!

Shirl – Thanks! I hope I don’t have jury duty, too! I piled 4 risers each on two chairs, then put my barbell on that so I did the inverted rows (I don’t have a place for pull ups). I’m going to feel it tomorrow! Your DH sounds like a sweetie! Wow! Enjoy your workout! I have to admit I was thinking I’d go a bit harder tomorrow, but I don’t think I can.

Lora – which TT workout did you do? I may have to try Warp now, but I’m enjoying my TT at this point.

Wendy – great job on the excellent workout!

Jen – Those HIIT intervals are killer aren’t they? Wow! What does the diet look like for WSFL?

Judy – Thanks. I have to admit that this is much tougher than it looks. I’m really enjoying TT. I hate counting calories, but like you, I do know it makes a difference. For TT Craig says to eat 8 meals a day. I’d be forever eating! I eat five, that’s all I can handle. :p

Sunny – I’m not sure if I’ll be lovin’ or cursin’ ya tomorrow, but for now, I’m enjoying the high from a killer workout! :p

Okay, I’m a convert! I now know why Sunny says TT’s are puke worthy! I’m toast! The intervals – oh my. There was a few times I thought I would not be able to catch my breath! :+ I so enjoyed this! YEAH! Thanks Sunny!

Does anyone have AOS Providence with Beth Chamberlain? I just got in the mail- another gift from my DH. :D I can't wait to try this. I'm going to preview before work this afternoon.

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

Christine,
It sounds like you really enjoyed the workout! :) I felt so great yesterday and I love the muscle soreness today. (I'm sore but not too sore) My DH has been on a roll lately - me likey! :):)

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

Hi Christine!

The WSFL diet is low cal, low carb. Like, really low cal, low carb, especially in comparision to NROL4W, which is what I've been doing since February. And some of the meals leave a little something to be desired. However, it's six small meals a day, and one of them is a post workout shake, which is actually consumed during the workout. I've decided that if I'm going to drink that, I must get a better tasting protein powder, because Alwyn has you mixing the powder with water, and water only. Ick.

So day 1 looks something like this:

Breakfast: 3/4 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/3 cup lf cottage cheese, 2 Tsp. peanut butter, 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal, all ingredients blended. (Yeah, I've had better. But it wasn't quite as bad as it sounds.)

Workout: 3/4 scoop protein powder + 35g carbs (which I forgot to have today)

Lunch: 5.25 oz. chopped grilled chicken breast, 2 cups raw baby spinach, 1 tsp. EVOO, 2 tsp. red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp. feta cheese

Meal 4: 1/3 cup lf cottage cheese, 1/4 cup raspberries, 2 Tbsp. walnuts

Dinner: 4 oz. grilled tilapia w/1/4 cup tomato sauce and 3 Tbsp. parmesan cheese on top

Meal 6: 1/3 cup lf cottage cheese, 1/2 apple, and 12 almonds (I think, I have it written down at home. It might be the cottage cheese, more protein powder and walnuts.)

Overall, it's not bad. His plan is to cycle carbs. On days where you don't workout, which is once a week, NO carbs. Intense workout days, higher carbs, but certainly not high carbs, and cardio days are normal carb days. Regardless of which day though, the carb intake is lower than what I'm used to, I think. Calorie-wise, it's based on 9 X bodyweight. That's pretty low, and he admits that right upfront. This isn't a long-term program. It's 28 days. He says straight out that because the calories are so low, you should take a multi-vitamin because you're likely not getting all the nutrients you need. But again, it's only 28 days. He insists on 100% compliance during that time, and with that he promises maximum fat loss. What is kind of nice is that he's written out exactly what you need to eat for 14 days, and then you repeat it for the second two weeks. But he also provides a list of foods and their quantities if you need to swap anything out. That way you can just use what he's written as a template if you so choose. I personally don't have time to think about it, so I'm following it as written.

I'm planning on being hungry over the next few weeks, but I'm figuring what the hell? It's only 28 days. And if it FINALLY helps me lose the ten pounds I've been trying to lose for 2+ years now, it's worth it.

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.