6 Monthers, STS, Satruday

banslug

Cathlete
Good SATURDAY morning. I slept in till 7:30 on this gorgeous rest day of mine. I've had my breakfast (banana and yogurt), printed off my workout cards for this coming week of M2W3, and hung 2 loads of wash on the wash line. I've had a busy morning.

I'm throwing on a baseball cap and hitting a local garage sale that has scrapbooking stuff (I'm told it's cheap, too, so I like that)! LOL

BBL

Gayle

p.s. took my pics and measurements and am EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

Good morning back to ya Gayle and everyone else...I t is a nice quiet morning here too. No one is stirring in or out of the house.
I got up early this morning and got a 2hr workout in. Starting off with sts disc 15 and blew up those bi's and then felt I could do some more so I did the cardio and weights cardio only premix, which is so fun, and finished with the sts yoga abs. So as you can see the cardio and abs were not too strenuous. I was wondering though, because I do not do cardio on weight days normally, is there any adverse effect of it? I've heard many different things and was wondering what your opinions were.

BBL

Rachel

Hi, Rachel. First off......it's the weekend, but that doesn't change the way we're eating, right??? Let's work thru the weekend together and come out on Monday VICTORIOUS!

Second, the only info I know about cardio and weights on the same day....I worked with a trainer last year and she said 'extra' cardio (meaning cardio that is added to weight days, above and beyond what you do on cardio days), should be done at least 3 hours apart from your weight workout. She said that your muscles need time to recooperate from the hard weight work, that you may injure yourself by doing too much on those tired muscles, and that you don't want your body to fight itself with the purpose of cardio vs the purpose of weight work. Does that make sense???

OK....just ate my 2nd meal. Here's my planned menu today:
M1: small banana, yogurt
M2: 3 egg whites, 1/2 grapefruit and its juice
M3: salad spring mix with tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, can tuna and 1/2 pita
M4: apple, 2 lite string cheese
M5: grilled vegan burger (bought for the first time last night to try) on 1/2 ww pita, veggies of some kind (thinking 'fried' cabbage)
M6: BSN protein drink or other sub if I have the urge to 'make' something

BBL

Gayle

Wow!!! I just finished disc 18 (back and biceps) I love the backoff sets. I felt really strong during the back portion. I went up higher than my WO card. And the first biceps exercise- I did the weight it said which was higher than last weeks (obviously). But I couldn't do all the reps last week. Today I did-yeah me!!! But then the next exercise-what the heck! I couldn't even do 1 rep at that weight. :( the same with the concentration curls. My biceps are fried!!! I will be feeling it tomorrow.

I will be at the baseball field all day today. I am happy it is beautiful outside. Tomorrow I am running in a 5k at a local college.

Rachel good luck with the weekend. Stay focused! You can do this.
You definitely need to fuel between 2 tough workouts or you will start to break down muscle. I never heard of a time frame though. But the best time to fuel is immediately after working out (within 20 minutes) After a workout an enzyme is released that makes it easier to replenish muscle fuel (glycogen)This is when simple carbs come in handy. Milk and chocolate milk are awesome as an after workout fuel.

have a good day everyone. BBL
chrissy

Well my friend and I went for our run this morning and at about mile 4, it started to snow. I mean really snow!!!!!:mad::mad: I checked the weather before I left and it was cold -1 and -6 with the windchill but no snow predictions. It was sunny out when we started.We did finish 6 miles.
icon14.gif
I had a nice hot shower to unthaw and now sipping coffee. DH just left on his 16 mile run (better him than me) as he is marathon training and I will take the kids to their swimming lessons soon.

Went to watch ds play hockey last night, and he went down during the third period and was taken off the ice:(:( His fractured ankle from last fall was giving him lots of pain. I swear that kid will be the end of me, I told him I wasn't going to anymore of his sporting events as my heart can't take it anymore;);)

Gayle WTG on the passing the halfway point!! I'm so happy that the scale/measuring tape are making you smile this morning. I'll trade you some grass cutting for some snow shovelling;) I'm with you on the grocery store, the kids had no school yesterday so went with me on my weekly shopping trip and somehow we ended up spending $250 :eek: because I let them buy some treats.

Mary OH my goodness, what a scare for you yesterday. I'm so glad that everything turned out okay! Will your mom have some follow-up done? I'm glad that the man in the elevator was able to give you a smile on your stressful day!

Jo I did disc 18 yesterday, oh my goodness, on those biceps!!! Those were incredibly hard! I'm so like you with trying to fit those workouts in. I'm already looking at the summer weekends when we go camping or to the cottage trying to figure out what to do. LOL

Rachael Oh, I love having the windows open too! Haven't been able to do it much yet though! Hopefully spring will come soon. I love Imax 2, it's my favourite workout of all time! That interval 9 is so hard!!

Cendrine Thanks for posting those crock pot recipes! They look yummy, we've never been much for curry but will have to try it. I like your idea of buying some jeans as a reward, I think I will plan to buy some shorts.

Chrissy Good luck on the race tomorrow! Where will you be wearing that sexy bathing suit?? Are you going away this summer?

Good out for dinner with friends tonight so wish me luck with healthy eating choices! Kim

GOOD MORNING ALL!!!!

It is a beautiful morning with the temp's. getting up to almost 80 today!!!! I called my mom this morning and she is doing really well, with a slight irritated throat. One of the tests was a tube down her throat to check her arteries, etc. They are excited about coming for dinner. I have a healthy meal of salmon, salad, fresh fruit and green beens planned for dinner. My parents enjoy a cocktail, so I have makings for cosmos, but I will be pouring pink grapefruit juice in my martini glass as a substitute :p:p. Thanks for all your words of encouragement about my mom. Both mom & dad are turning 82 this year, and new health issues seem to be creeping up more frequently.

I am waiting for DH to return from his morning bike ride (he borrowed my i-pod to listen to Coach Sean). My plan is to do CCV8 when he returns, then clean house and prepare dinner. My parents will only stay until about 7:30 tonight (they go to bed at 8:00), and then we have been invited to a bonfire later this evening at some friends home. This is where the hard part will come in. This group of friends are drinkers and snackers around the fire. My confession is that I do like to have a few cocktails around the fire, then after a few cocktails, then I start to snack on crap
icon9.gif
icon9.gif
. LISTEN UP, I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE IN!!!!! I cut up red/yellow/orange peppers and carrots for the crunch factor, and packed a couple bottles of unsweetened iced tea. I should be full from dinner, but these fires can go pretty late! This is the first bonfire of the year, so I really hope nobody brings the marshmellow, graham cracker, chocolate stuff. I GUESS IT DOESN'T MATTER, BECAUSE I AM STRONG TODAY
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Gayle-They believe my mom's calcifications are more age related then anything. They say it is not uncommon for someone her age. My mom is scheduled for a chemical stress test next week to check a few more issues. Gotta love that clothesline! We have a nice day scheduled tomorrow, so I will be hanging my sheets out on the line then! I love the feel of sheets after blowing in the fresh air all day! Thanks for the wonderful compliment yesterday. It really makes me proud to be part of this forum!

Rachel-I'm with you on the open windows, breeze blowing in, hearing the birds chirping. The first thing I did after waking up this morning was open the windows. It gets very humid here, so when the air gets still, we do turn the air on and shut all the windows. I try to put that off as long as possible. We have a glider on our deck, and the perfect morning for me is going out early in the morning with my cup of coffee, rocking in my glider, and listening to all the wonderful summer sounds!! I love those simple pleasures!!

Cendrine-I think a new pair of jeans as a reward for clean eating up to May 9th is right up my alley, especially in a smaller size
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
. My neices are loving me, because they are a size larger than me, and I have been giving away a lot of clothes to them. I have a thing for jeans, and I own lots of them. I have gone though several sizes in the past 5 years. I hold on to the previous size of jeans for about a year, until I have comfortably maintained the smaller size, then give the larger size away!! It's a beautiful things hauling that bag of clothes away.

Chrissy-I'm with Gayle, keep those quotes coming!! Sometimes that's all it takes is a few simple words to get us back on track. Maybe I'll write your earlier quote on my hand, and I'll peek at it occasionally when sitting around the fire looking at all the goodies! I'm with you, the yo yo dieting is ridiculous! We put a lot of time and energy into working out, we need to do the same thing with eating. WE ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY!!!! Good luck with the 5K run!!!

Jo-How was your day without DH!!! Do you enjoy your alone time?? Since you are a seasoned traveler, I'm sure you will be able to come up with a schedule to fit in your workouts while out of town. I'm really looking forward to Cathe's travel workout dvd with the bands. We went to a cabin in the hills of Colorado a few years back, packed up the car, and much to my DH"s dismay, I packed several of my weights to take along. I brought 12's, 15's and 20's. Now that I think about it, it was pretty silly. LOL. I have since learned to enjoy my vacations without the weights tagging along. But the travel dvd with the bands is a whole other story
icon12.gif
icon12.gif
. P.S.-When I got my Cathe package yesterday, there was a note that the slanted risers were on backorder
icon8.gif
. I guess I can wait a little longer...

Julie-Did you get your pictures taken yet? Will you post them to your user site? One of these days I will post my picture for my avatar (?) sign in. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Hope you are having a Wonderful Day!!

Maggie-I can't imagine how busy your day must get with the kids!! You seem to have a very calming personality which is remarkable for the size of your family. I need to step back periodically when things get hectic, and realize that, in many cases, I'm creating the chaos :confused::confused:. You need to give me lesson 101 on how to "go with the flow".

kim-Since you are a seasoned runner, I will post this incredibly embarassing question to you. With running 6+ miles on the road, do you or your friends ever have issues with having to "go" when you are halfway through the run???? This is one of the reasons that I'm holding off running the longer distance on the road. Every single time, no matter early or late, halfway through HELLOOO!!! No issue with the treadmill at home, just push pause. lol!! You really are not expected to answer this question, just thought there are others out there like me
icon11.gif

OK, DH just got back from his bike ride, so it's my turn!!! Have a wonderful Saturday, and HI to everybody else who checks in today!!!

Mary

Kim-

You are I were posting at the same time. Sorry to hear about DS's ankle. Hope everything checks out OK. Stay strong at dinner tonight. YOU CAN DO IT...

Mary

Kim, so how is DS????? I almost freaked just now, just READING about him 'going down'. I'm telling you, are our DS's cut from the same mold or what? lol Hope he's okay! Great job on the run in the freezing cold...makes me feel just a TAD BIT guilty about our gorgeous weather these next few days (but not jealous enough to want YOUR weather, lol).

Mary, when I started running, I used to have to hit the bathroom at around mile 5. Every single race I signed up for, I made SURE I knew where the port-a-pots were so I could be prepared mentally. lol But the more I ran, the "better" it became and it's not as much of an issue for me anymore. ENJOY dinner tonight, and when you're sitting around the fire, I'll be sitting on your left shoulder whispering DON'T DO IT. DON'T DO IT. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrissy, I'm not sure how much 'weight' I'd put into the time frame thing the trainer mentioned. And it's not like we do it all the time, right? GOOD LUCk tomorrow.

OK! I've got TONS done today. I could do NOTHING the rest of the weekend and be completely content with what I DID get done.......6 loads of laundry on the line including sheets/blankets from our beds, my car cleaned inside and out, garage door lights replaced, the grass I bagged yesterday has been taken to the dump, I cooked lunch on the grill and I visited my friends who are all sharing in a garage sale! LOL I haven't showered, but I've done all THAT! :D (and may I admit that I do, indeed, stink just a little. But I'm just gonna keep going so I'll keep my baseball cap on my head and go to the baseball game like this...I'll just sit alone)

Gayle

Hi Guys,

I treated my family to an onion, mushroom, ham, eggwhite scramble with cheese for breakfast and worked out after breakfast (step/HiLo circuit and Pilates abs)

Getting ready to print my workout cards for week 2 meso2! I'm so excited! My left shoulder, neck area is much better already, I'm recovering from it much faster than on the right probably because I've already been doing more potassium for the right one...:)

Jo, another Athleta friend!:)I haven't done any rewards since going off sugar and since starting BFFM and STS, so I am kind of looking forward to a splurge...Let me know what you get! And you can do it! doubling up the workouts I mean! You are a tough girl! No question there!

Gayle, I remember hanging my laundry when I lived in switzerland. Here, the air is just not nice enough....:( Using the dryer saves me a ton of time! But i do like the fresh scent and crisp feeling of hung laudnry!
So, Gayle! Share your results so we can be happy with you!
I just left 83.- worth of money at the grocery store yesterday, too, and that is after I had just gone shopping at costco the day before...:) but like you, I take comfort in knowing it's good stuff and it won't go to waste!
I saw your menu, I thought you went to the store for melon with your egg whites, and now you had grapefruit?:rolleyes:

Rachel, I love the cardo on cardio and weights! It was my first step workout from Cathe and I felt so accomplished when I got all the combos down to a t!
As far as cardo on sts days go, I believe I read a post by Cathe, that if you are going to do cardio on a sts day, to do it later in the day a few hours after sts for best results. but she also said you gotta do what works for your schedule. Way to go on working out so long!

Chrissy, nice work on your workout! I had to go down some on concentration curls too! But I'm a week behind you.... Have fun at the 5K today!

Kim, nice work pushing through the snow! Wow! You and your hubby impress me with your mileage! sorry about the snow! Good luck trying to figure out what to do during your times away from home this summer. That's tricky. About dinner tonight, you can do it! You can order something good, just keep in mind you will care later!:):D

Mary, your glider on the porch sounds like heaven, if you ever need a house sitter, please let me know!;) It's so funny, I do the same thing with my bigger size clothes, I keep them until I have maintained a while and the I get them the heck out of my closet...:p
Good plan for the bonfire! You know what I like to do with bonfires? I like to cut a banana lengthwise throgh one layer of peel, add, stick in some nuts (on a cheat day I add chocolate chips too....) then I wrap the banana into aluminum foil and throw it in the fire. After about 10 minutes I get it out and scoop out the mushy banana with a spoon.... That could be an option for a sweet treat without falling of the wagon, what do you think?

My meals for today:

m1 eggwhite, mushroom, onion, ham scramble
m2 strawberries, greek yoghurt, oatmeal
m3 salad with tomatoes and chicken, almonds
m4 leftover string beans, salmon patty
m5 don't know yet (I'm making lasagne for ds's teacher for appreciation week and make a batch for my family at the same time, but it's not clean enough for my liking, so will be eating something else, maybe left over artichoke, it sure was yummy last night)

Hi to everyone else and I'll probably be back later.

Gayle- your posts make me exhausted. You do so much, it is unbelieveable!! I can't say I would even use a clothes line if I had one. That is too much like work. My mom always used one when we were growing up. I think she still does just not as much.
I am also wearing a baseball hat. I worked out then went to my son's game. I am still wearing my exercise clothes. I made sure I didn't get too close to anyone-:eek:.

Mary- that bonfire sounds like fun. I like Cendrine's idea about the banana, it is definitely a good option. I always find diet coke helps me to stay out of trouble. I guess because its sweet and bubbly, and makes my tummy feel fuller. (I know its not healthy but no calories!!)

Kim-sorry to hear about your son's ankle. Hope it heals quickly. We are going to Myrtle Beach in August, plus we have an in ground pool. So I will be hanging out all summer.

Cendrine- your omlete sounds yummy!! I make something similar sometimes except I bake it like a quiche in a pie plate. So I have left overs for the next couple of days.

I have to get ready now for older son's game now. BBL
chrissy

DS's ankle is okay, not refractured or anything, but definitely sore and swollen. He's back to wear a brace and icing. He claims he's fine and he's out swiming and playing baseball but I do notice him limping when I'm not watching:rolleyes:

Mary I love bonfires, what a temptation but I know you will come through it with flying colours! I worry about the bathroom breaks too but after 8 years of running long distances ( half and full marathons) I only had to stop once at a park bathroom. I think your body gets use to a routine. I always get up early and run about a hour later and so it's never been a problme. Lots of worries for nothing.

Gayle What a busy girl you're been, time to sit back and relax while watching the ball game! Well at least our boys aren't sitting at home watching tv/playing video games although sometimes I wish he would.

Chrissy Have fun at the game!

Cendrine I'm glad that you're shoulder is feeling better! My right shoulder was bothering me when I was running this morning, I don't know why:confused: just feels tight now.

Kim

Cendrine....see? Here was my theory and part of the reason I spent so much $$$$$ at the store. I got the cantalope to go with my egg whites, but of course it isn't ripe enough to cut yet, so I grabbed 2 grapefruit to eat in the mean time. Well, then I just had to get more apples to eat with the string cheese I have in my fridge, but then I'll run out of the cheese before the entire bag of apple is gone so I grabbed another large bag of string cheese. lol On and ON and ON and $83 later, I've rationalized every single dollar spent! LOL (and i have the other half of the grapefruit already cut and in a bowl ready for TOMORROW's breakfast! LOL)

Kim, there are days when I wish for rain so my kids WOULD settle down a bit. lol

So, I cooked dinner on the grilled (I had grilled chicken over my salad spring mix) and then we rented 2 movies. I've "taken my eyes out" (as my kids like to call it when I take my contacts out) and I'm in a tank, still wearing the hat. I'll have a mug of hot green tea in a bit then go to the basement to set up my stuff for tomorrow morning. I'm wiped out and really looking forward to my wonderfully-smelling sheets tonight!

G'Night. See you all in the morning.

Gayle

ps Rachel, how did we make out today?????? Just another day!

Well Gayle
Let me tell ya...pretty darn good:D
Like I told yall. I am totally not a planner. (I guess I am compared to some but not compared to yall;)) But since I had some free time I did get to do a cool dinner.

I grilled pizza. Don't freak out on me yet...I made the crust from scratch. It was 1/2 ww flour with 1/2 bread flour...I just can't get a tender crust with out a little reg flour. I made the pizza sauce, so I controled that. For meat I had grilled chicken and then added onions and mushrooms and some hot peppers cause I like it hot. Of course DH's pizza had no veges and lots of cheese and leftover fajita steak from last night. Those guys and their metabolisms.:confused: I don't see how they do it.
All in all I think I am doing rather well for my first weekend on the wagon;)
Thanks for all the encouragment.

May 9th is not that far away so I know we can do it.

Rachel

Gayle, now that you mention it, canteloupes are almost never ready to eat, so of course your rationalization makes perfect sence...:) So do all your other purchases and so do all mine...:)

Have fun with the movies tonight and enjoy those sheets!

Rachel, nice work on the dinner! I think pizza can be clean if we make it from scratch by ourselves!
I can even make clean lasagne, but not when I'm giving it away, I worry too much about other people's tastes not liking my clean cooking, so I made today's lasagne with the regular ingredients. It smelled yummy and the fam gobbled it up! I'm happy to report I didn't have any. May 9th, we are coming, and we are coming clean!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.