50 and over week of June 22 check in

Cathy, first I listened to this podcast http://besttreadmillsonline.com/treadmill-articles/hiittraining/
and then I read somewhere else to start out with a pattern of 3 minutes warm up, then 1 minute high intensity followed by 2 minutes low intensity doing 5 to 6 cycles, with cool down it comes to 20 minutes and you are sweating!!!!

I used the treadmill but you can used anything that allows you to work that hard. My friend used the stairclimber at the gym.
Today, I tried to do it outside. Notwithstanding it was almost 100 degrees, I found that I could not go that fast because outside I am afraid that I will misstep and fall, whereas on the treamill, the handrails are right there if you need them.

Which leads to a question for Joan or Jann. My heartrate monitor said I burned 894 cal today with my outside walk/run - most of which I walked because it was soooo hot!!! One hour 20 minutes- is that possible? When I was walking home my heart rate was 140 where it was usually 112 or so (I think because the heat was so intense)But still- it seems like alot of calories!

Joan did you do 3 discs in one day? No wonder you are tired!! Nap time!

I think that I have gained alot of strength from the first go around. But also, with the legs in meso 1, the movement require a nice range of motion as well as strength. For example, the one with the disc on one foot in front and then you "sit" down. Well, 3 months ago, my hip flexors etc were so tight that I had trouble with the movement and kept the weights lighter, but did not really feel it in the legs. This time, I used such a heavy weight that my hamstrings and posterior were screaming as I tried to rise. It was as if I truely understood the exercise because of the weights. Does that make sense?

Have a great evening everyone!! Beth

thanks, beth, i don't really know what a podcast is. but , can i listen to it on the computer?
i really want to try it.yeah, i will probably die. even at 7 in the morning here it is not cool. and it is also humid in the a.m. it has been in the 100's all last week and is supposed to be this week too. UGH!!!! do you not have AC? we would die down here wi/out it. i don't know how people lived w/out it in texas. but, they did.

i did STS as a total body workout today. took 20 m of 4,5,6 and did it like that. not sure if i like it or not. i really like doing things in order. but, if it gets me better results, i'll do it.

cathy

OK, i entered what i did on sunday, when i was working. i work at an equine vet clinic, so i do physical labor. i walk, clean, feed, move horses. and i worked for 3 hrs yesterday. so , i entered it in outdoor as walking 2.5 mph on a flat surface, and it says i burned 822 cal. that can't be right, can it? that seems really high.

and just riding horses burned 328? that seems high too.
cathy

calories

Cathy, I am thinking that the heat increases the calorie burn. 3 hours of walking horses does seem right to me because that is between 200 and 300 cal per hour. But riding horses seems like a fun way to burn that many calories!

I live in Florida and everyone has AC. It is just that I had not run outside in about a month or so and the temperatures had climbed faster than my tolerance to them. Last year, I went out everyother day or so and the heat never really got to me. This year, I have been doing the STS and more indoor cardio.

Hi Joan, Jann, Tricia and Magnolia!

Good Morning, Ladies!

I totally forgot to log in here yesterday - just never thought about it, even though I did do Disc #19. OK, I am getting to the point where it's gonna be dangerous to workout without DH home to spot me. When I told him I'm gonna have to buy the power tower so that I'll have a rack for my weights, he started plotting out how he can move my workouts into or garage/workout area! (Plus, all the in and out getting my weights is makin' him nuts, the air just cranks up from opening the door so much!). Anyway, that's a to be continued.....Since I was lifting a barbell at something like 75 pounds, that's a tough one to pick up, sit on the bench and roll back on your back - then I have to get it up in the ready position, all before I do a single rep!! Needless to say, I was feeling each rep yesterday. I'm really looking forward to StepHeat today, that was one of my early favorites when I started out with Cathe 12 years ago!!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one dealing with a muggy June, I mean wow, it's been humid. I grew up in PA and you expect it there, but SC is more of a hot heat - if that makes sense? So having such humidity is rough! (The kids are noticing it, too. But it's not enough to slow them down for long...)

Cathy - I'm so jealous that you get to work with horses!! I have loved them all my life, and I had a pony when I was young. Then I graduated to a Quarter Horse when I was in high school. I miss being around them so much - I have a goal to get my kids around horses somehow and we will someday have our own horses!! But they can be a ton of work to move around, muck stalls, etc. I definitely think your calorie burn was right! Oh, and a podcast is something you can listen to on your computer. I think it's called that because it's made for you to either download to a ipod or listen online (hence the name, podcast.)

Ok, I've prattled on for a while here so I'll go for now.....BBL to log in today's workout!

Good morning,

Official weigh in Monday 164lbs. I think that is back to Jan. low but I may have gotten down to 162 then. At least I am heading in right direction.

Yesterday I did StepHeat. Today is either disc 17 or disc 17 and 19.

Tricia I'm always impressed with weight you use. I'm not even going to try to match on this go round of sts (or the next one.):)Prior to Nov 08 I had not lifted for two years and before that the trainer never had me using over 12lb dumbbells and 30lb barbells. She always told me I gained muscle easily. It's funny after the first meso cycle I didn't feel there was any difference but now I can see definition in arms and feel it in legs- still too much fat there.

BBL

Hey -- I didn't fall into a big hole... :D I can't believe how fast my days go!
Yesterday I did disc, I don't know the next one shoulder and tris... I know that because I can still feel it!! :D Today was non stop chores.
I'll try to catch up later....

tricia, where do you live? too bad you don't live around here, you could ride mine.:) i ain't ridin' it is tooooo hot!

ironmom, where are you in fla? i know it is probably as bad there as here. my dil's mom lives in sarasota. an dit has been really hot down there. but i bet ya'll get rain, anyway. just hold out til october, if possible. ok, i'm gonna try to listen to that podcast. if i can figure out how to do it.
cathy

Hi, Y'All.

I hear it about the humidity. We were used to it somewhat in Georgia, but LI is much worse. The temp has only been in the 80s, and it keeps raining. Doesn't seem much like summer to this Southern Girl. Very depressing! :cool:

One of my birthday presents was $ :D--enough to buy STS plus maybe a new step (I have the smaller one). So I am holding on until I finish this round of CLX, and then I'm thinking I'll just invest in it. Are any of you doing the Ab Circuits? What do you think of them?

I did get my paper back & made a 98. But that was the easiest topic! I have looked at the other three I have to write, and I am a little concerned. :confused:

Did Burn Circuit 2 today, and I think it nearly killed me! :eek: Jann, those triple threat push-ups are killers, and they come at the end when you have already exhausted arms & shoulders. I simply could not do 12 :eek:, but I will next time.

Ladies, I hope you all have a great evening!

Magnolia

magnolia, is that your real name? i love magnolia trees, but they won't grow where i live. my son has one, he is further south than us in the sand country.

so, you're in GA? my uncle used to live there, i know it can be just as miserable there as here.
played and swam w/the grandkids today, had fun.
did the 2nd combination of disc 4,5,6. think i'll go back to just doing it the way you're supposed to. one at a time.
cathy

Hello again, ladies.

I logged on last night, typed in my update and then my computer was "unable to retrieve" or WHATEVER and the whole thing was lost! I didn't have the heart to reenter it, so here's two days worth of check in info!!

SO yesterday I did Step Heat. I was so looking forward to it, because I always loved it. BUT, I was pretty disappointed when I actually started doing it. It was repetitive and I just couldn't get into it. I'm afraid I'll have to put some of those older workouts in the vault with fond memories, but not to be used anymore.

Now, today was disc #20, can't even believe I just typed that. Does that mean I'm halfway through?? Goodness, me. I really like this meso's leg workouts. (I'm kinda dreading the Plyo Legs to come...)

Cathy, I am in SC near Lake Wylie-which is about 1/2 hr. south of Charlotte, NC. I had a pony when I was younger, and a quarter horse in high school. I really miss being around them, all of it. But I do remember how much work it is, too. Especially when it gets this hot, there's not much riding going on. Oh, well - someday, I'll have my own horse again.

Magnolia, I just love birthday presents that you can pick what you really, really want! I think I'm going to have to get a new step soon, too. Mine is sounding a bit creaky lately, not surprising since it's the same one I've had for 12 years now!! Maybe I can buy a new platform with slanted risers instead of the regular ones. HHMM. That's something to think about.

Right now, I'm thinking about going to bed - even though we all get to bed a little later now that school is out, my son is still up bright and early!

Goodnight, all!

Hi all -- I did disc 20 yesterday too! I am really enjoying meso 2 legs and I hate legs - :confused: Yard work this morning then I am joining DH on a short business trip to NJ. I'll get to disc 21 over the weekend.

Tricia do you like the more intense/challenging step cardio?

Cathy swimming playing with grandchildren.... I can only dream of the day. :)

Magnolia CONGRATS on the 98!! :cool: That is great! I remember those pushups! :p OH - I think you will really enjoy STS - I use the ab circuits some but, since I really can't do abs as much as a normal person :eek: I am not a good one to ask.

Beth HIIT :eek: I love getting my heart rate up I have never tried HIIT training. I think I burn more calories in the summer... I know the heat helps. I can't seem to move when I am cold.

Joan I seem to have lost my engery these days also. I love weight training but the cardio is just not coming as easy. Hang in there -- we can do this!

I don't see your pictures yet ladies -- I would love to see your beautiful faces. :D

Good Morning. Ladies!

Cathy, my real name is Teresa, and I was born and lived in Georgia for my first 48 years. I now live in Long Island, NY, on the South Shore with my auctioneer hubby. It was a really hard transition, and DH and I plan to retire back to Georgia (hopefully mid-town Atlanta, even though I am actually a country girl). All my friends up here call me Magnolia, and my DH loved it so much that every room in our house has at least one magnolia in it.

Tricia, I have also been looking at those slanted risers. I'll probably invest when I get the new step.

Jann, I don't know how to load my pix into the site. What do you do?

Joan & Jann, I am really noticing a lot of exhaustion lately, too. The good thing is that I seem to be sleeping like a dead bug every night! The problem with that is that I don't want to get up in the morning. It's hard to get motivated, but I am pushing to get everything done. I did Burn It Off this morning, and I did not think I would finish. I just pushed, or I might have quit. But my saddlebags seem to be disappearing, so that's encouraging.

Hi, Beth, hope all is well with you.

Have a great day, Ladies.

Magnolia (Teresa)

Good afternoon,

I ended up with a cardio day yesterday so today will be disc 19.

I just read an article about Jillian Michaels and she said the Biggest Losers do 5 hours of cardio a day and 1 1/2 hours weight training. Probably not realistic for most people.

I did get the cable fixed for the tv in front of the treadmill. At least now if I want to veg out in front of the tv I'll make myself walk at the same time.

Magnolia and Jann, I'm glad I'm not the only one with no motivation. As long as we all fight through it. At least even when I fall behind on STS I have the rest week to catch up.

I have done most of the ab wo. I hate them but there is a lot of variety and I think they would work great if I were more consistent in following them.

The weight bench is the greatest thing I bought. It's longer and on the incline it is very comfortable.

BBL with wo.

Joan

awww, that is so sweet teresa. magnolia is a really cool nick name. yeah, i have live in texas most of my life. my dad was air force, so i got to go to europe twice, which i loved. but, we always came back to texas. we are originally from NE tenn. in the beautiful appalachians. i hate the 100' heat here, but i don't think i could take those winters up where you are. the older i get , the colder i get.

and i hear ya'll with the tiredness. it is like part of my life now. i guess it is my age, i don't know. my dr. says i'm healthy and nothing is wrong. which is good. but , i hate those days when i am so tired i can barely move. i have felt really good the last week. haven't had a migraine or anything. have felt great. i am grateful for that.
cathy

Good afternoon, girls!

I seem to be back on the every other day log-in. I really did try yesterday, but it just didn't happen. Yesterday's workout was 10-10-10 cardio, and Stability Ball Abs. I loved this one! Used to be I didn't like this cardio, but for some reason I really enjoyed it. Jann, I guess I do like the more intense workouts with tough choreography. Some of Cathe's stuff, I've had since it came out and am still working on the footwork (like the 4DS step workouts.) That doesn't bother me, it makes me work harder each time I try it. I also really love Ab Circuits, mainly because the reps don't go on endlessly. Usually, you only have 1 set of 8 before moving on to the next exercise. That was always my pet peeve about abs, I can complete 1 or 2 sets, but 4-5 gets to be too much! And the variety of Ab Circuits makes it a must for me.

Today's workout was, of course, disc #21. (I took the kids swimming with grandma today, so we were pretty tired.) But, I worked through it and had a good workout. I am having a hard time believing we're getting ready to enter the final week of hypertrophy!! DH said yesterday he's really seeing some tightening and toning, in my legs and upper body. (Now if I can get rid of the pooch, I'll be a happy camper!!!).

So, tomorrow is one of my all time favorites, Kickmax! After that, I'll probably be on sporadically - my sister, her family and my parents are coming to visit next week. My nephew is graduating from boot camp on Wednesday and we'll all be there. If I don't "see" you before, have a great weekend everybody!

Hi, Y'All!

Thanks, Cathy. I do hate the winters up here! I drink lots of hot tea (never did that before I lived here), and wrap up like an Eskimo from about December until May. It is never like summer to me during June here, because it's lots cooler than I'm used to.

Tricia, I really love Stability Ball Abs. I have gotten some good results from it. I also love to do the Kick Max premix that is all kick boxing. Fun!

Jann, Joan & Bev, I hope you're well.

There's a huge black cloud out there now, and we have been having thunder storms today, so I am signing off now. Have a great weekend.

Magnolia

Good evening all,

I did get disc 19 done yesterday. but nothing yet today.

I did babysit this morning and had work this afternoon. Still hoping to get disc 20 in tonight.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.