50 and over week of July 18 check in

JoanC

Cathlete
Hi ladies,

Just finished my 2.5 mi on treadmill. Unfortunately treadmill is in pool room and there is no airconditioning there. I have to wait until evening to let it cool off a little but it has been about 85 degrees most times this week. I wonder if you lose more when you combine walk with sauna?

I tried a little experiment with french toast and tried making it with eggbeaters and 1 egg. It definitely wasn't as good, but that was what I was hungry for at the time. Next time I will use all eggs but watch the calories for the rest of the day. I only get hungry for it about twice a year.

Yes, Joan I think you burn a lot more calories working out in the heat. At least I seem to.

I did TurboFire Hiit 15 plus 10 minute stretch -- perfect for a Sunday workout. :D

hey ya'll, i did complete body sculpting (firm) and added one set of very heavy upper body. i did the same upper body on sat. i love it. it is one that one of the firm instructors made up. it is fun and you can go very heavy. i'll paste it here if anyone is interested.

Home » Jen's heavy upper body sculpt
Jen's heavy upper body sculpt

by Instructor_Jen | Jul 12, 2010

My HEAVY Upper Body Workout is just the thing you are looking for this week! It is a nice change of pace from the lighter, faster routines that we are all used to. A lot of women worry about lifting heavy weights because they do not want to look bulky. Be assured that we cannot, even if we tried. We do not produce the muscle building hormone, testosterone, in the abundance that men do. VARIETY in our workouts is a beautiful thing. Not only will it get our minds out of a rut, but it will keep our bodies from getting in one, too. So pick up those heavy weights, the ones that make you sweat, the ones that you struggle with and the ones that make your body ache the next day. Remember the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest. You will need 2-3 sets of heavy dumbbells and that is it...LET'S GET STARTED!

Heavy Double Split Row: I want you to concentrate on your back muscles with this exercise. Start with two heavy dumbbells. Place your feet in a runners lunge with your right leg in front first. Hinge forward from your hips about 45 degrees keeping your spine long, all the way to the top of your head. Your shoulders should be back and down away from your ears. Maintaining this torso position, reach the dumbbells toward your front foot with your elbows in full extension and your palms facing inward. This is your starting position. Now "row" the dumbbells up to hip level keeping your elbows in close to your torso. Think about wrapping your shoulder blades around your spine. Return to start and repeat for a total of 6 repetitions with your right leg in the front, then complete 6 repetitions with your left leg in front. With this exercise you get the added bonus of isometrically working your legs while holding your runner's lunge. Keep your pace slow and controlled.

Oblique Push-ups: This exercise is not only awesome for working your chest and arms, it also adds a little core challenge as well. Start in a side plank position up on your right hand, not your elbow. Make sure that your shoulder, elbow, and wrist are lined up. Remember for the lower body portion, you have the option of stacking your left knee over your right or stacking your left foot over your right. From this side plank position, place your left hand on the floor, keeping your hips turned and facing left. Slowly lower your chest toward the floor by bending your elbows as you would in a push-up. Feel your chest and core working. Slowly push back up, keeping your hips stacked. Complete 6 repetitions on your right side. Then switch and do 6 on your left side. Remember, you always have the option of doing a traditional push-up.

Heavy Clean and Press: This biceps curl and overhead shoulder press exercise works several upper-body muscle groups at the same time. It strengthens your biceps, shoulders and triceps. Hold a pair of dumbbells straight down at your sides, palms turned toward each other. Curl-up the weights up to chest level then press them overhead. Do not arch your back on the press: keep a slight pelvic tilt and hold your abdominals tight. Also, make sure when you press the dumbbells overhead you reach for the sky and line up your wrists, elbows, and shoulders. Reverse the motion to return to the starting position.

Repeat 12 times.

Heavy Triceps Kickbacks:

Start with one dumbbell in your right hand and place your feet a little outside your hips, bending your knees slightly and hinging at your hips to a 45 degree angle. Be sure to brace your abs tight to protect your back. Depress and retract your scapula by pulling your shoulders down and back. Maintain this position throughout the exercise. Your head should be aligned with your spine. Position your working arm parallel to, and close to, your torso. Bend your elbow to 90 degrees or at least to a point where your forearm hangs vertical to the floor. Slowly extend your elbow by contracting your triceps muscles until your elbow is fully extended. Your upper arm should remain stationary next to your torso during the movement. Avoid any arching in your low back or any rotation in your torso. Slowly return your arm to your starting position, without changing your torso position. Keep your upper arm parallel and close to your torso. Do 6 repetitions on the right and 6 on the left.

Alternating Grappler Row: The grappler row is almost like a traditional bent-over row, except we will keep the dumbbells inside your legs and start at the top of the move. You will need two heavy dumbbells for this exercise. Your feet should be placed a little wider than hip-width apart. Bending your knees and pushing them outward over your ankles, hinge forward from your hips, getting your torso as parallel to the floor possible. The more parallel you are to the floor, the harder it will be. With that said, if you feel any pulling in your lower back, simply lift your torso to a place where your back does not feel compromised. You will need to hold this solid position throughout the exercise. HOLD YOUR ABS TIGHT! Next, pull your elbows in close, lifting the dumbbells and squeezing your upper and mid-back. From here, slowly lower your right arm to full elbow extension while keeping your left arm up in the start position. Pull your right arm back up and repeat on the left side. This is a challenging exercise, so really pay close attention to proper form. Alternate your right and left sides for a total of 12 repetitions.

Alternating Dumbbell Floor Press: This interesting variation of the traditional dumbbell chest press is more challenging than it looks. By alternating your arms, you add a new dynamic to the move where you have to engage your core to keep your body stable. Do this exercise supine on the floor. Begin with one weight in each hand straight up over your chest, palms facing your thighs. Keep your left arm in place while bending your right elbow and lowering your arm down until it's at or just below your chest (your arm should look like a goal post). Press your arm back up without locking your elbow, then immediately repeat the move with your left arm while keeping your right arm in place. Continue alternating sides, engaging your abs to keep your torso from moving. Keep your abs contracted throughout the movement to protect your back. Keep the motion slow and controlled-try not to use momentum. Alternate right and left for a total of 12 repetitions.

Leg Raise: Let's add a little more core work to the alternating dumbbell press by adding a double leg raise. Finish your last rep and keep the dumbbells over your chest. Your arms are straight and reaching for the sky at all times. Keeping your core tight and your spine pressing into the floor, lower both legs to about an inch or two from the floor. MAKE SURE YOUR BACK DOES NOT ARCH! Using your core, slowly lift your legs back to start. Again, do not use momentum. If you feel your back arching before your legs reach 1-2 inches from the floor, then you will need to stop your legs before you feel the arch. So you may only get your legs to a 45 degree angle or less. That is OK. You will get stronger. FORM is very important here!! Repeat 12 times.

Heavy Alternating Biceps Curl: If you're looking for a simple way to change your biceps exercises, try alternating your arms. By alternating your arms, you change the exercise just a bit and may be able to use heavier weights than you use with regular double-arm curls. Because one arm gets a bit of a rest while the other one works, you may find heavier weights a better choice. Stand with your feet about hip-distance apart or whatever is comfortable and hold the weights beside your thighs with your palms facing out. Bend your right elbow and curl the weight up towards your shoulder, keeping your shoulder still. Lower the weight, keeping a slight bend at the bottom to keep tension on your biceps. Repeat the move with your left arm. Continue alternating arms for a total of 12 alternating repetitions. Avoid using momentum. Keep the move slow and controlled and don't swing the weights.

Heavy Overhead Press: Start by standing upright with your back straight and your core tight. Hold a dumbbell in each hand with an overhand grip and your knuckles facing up. Your elbows are at 90 degrees and out to the sides of your shoulders. Raise the weights above your head in a controlled motion, ensuring that you do not slam your arms upward and stress your elbow joints. Exhale as you push upward, being mindful not to let your back arch. On the downward motion, for the first six repetitions, stop your elbows at shoulder level. Again, your elbows will be at 90 degrees. For the final 6 repetitions, execute the upward motion as before, but on the downward motion, pull your elbows all the way down and in toward your ribs. Squeeze your back and push your chest up and outward. I love adding this full range movement! Perform a total of 12 repetitions.

Heavy Standing French Press: The French press is a great way to isolate your triceps. When performing the French press while standing, be sure to stand straight up with your feet separated and placed under your hips. Keep your knees soft and maintain a slight pelvic tilt. Tighten your abdominals. Hold one dumbbell at the end with both palms and raise it to an extended position a bit behind your head. Keep tension in your triceps even when your arms are extended at the top of the lift. While keeping your upper arms and elbows fixed close to your head, bend your elbows to allow the dumbbell to descend behind your head until your forearms touch your biceps, or as low as is comfortable. Next, use your triceps to press the dumbbell upward until your arms reach the extended position. Repeat 12 times.

One set of all of these exercises should take you around 10-15 minutes to complete. I would like for you to get in three full sets. This should be a good 30-45 minutes of strength training. These are basic exercises that you can incorporate into your weekly routine. Enjoy and I look forward to your feedback.

the oblique push-up is killer. very difficult.
ttyl, cathy

Hi, Y'All.

Cathy, wow!

Jann, is this Turbo Fire the new one from Chalene?

Well, my boys are on their way back home. It was wonderful to have them here, and I think they had a good time. Took them to the beach on Friday and out to a place called Peter's Clam Bar for dinner. Took them to see "Mary Poppins" (it was spectacular), the Intrepid, and Little Italy. It was all very nice. Yesterday, we just got an "On Demand" movie and made s'mores. So now I have to work off the s'mores (and more). :eek: Tomorrow is better food choices and back to working out.

All have a great evening.

Magnolia

Hi everyone,

I have spent the week trying to figure out how to get an elevator. It looks like if I build the elevator shaft, I can use a wheelchair lift inside it instead of an elevator. Less expensive. I can only do this because I only have to get dm up about 5ft.

Early this week she was telling me I didn't need to do it. I think now she thinks it will be necessary if she is to stay at my house. It will also allow her to get to the family room and pool when family congregates there.

I babysat both grandkids Monday night while they went to baseball game. Luke had gas so bad he cried for an hour and a half. He doesn't normally take a bottle and I keep telling them hole in nipple is too big. He drinks too fast and then gets gas bubbles. He is a good burper but until he spit up half a bottle after the hour and a half he didn't feel good. And screamed. I burp after every ounce and that always worked with Elliot.

I told dil I wouldn't babysit unless he can take a bottle well by Oct. I just can't take the crying.

Do you think I can run away from home?

Joan you are such a giving person, your mom, kids, and grandchildren. Your heart must be the size of the moon! I think running away from home for a day or so might do you good. ;)

Magnolia yes Turbo Fire is Chalene's newest set. It's crazy! The music is so good. It really is like Turbo Jam meets Insanity.

I am really trying to stick with lots of cardio, less heavy weights and low fat diet. So far it's working.

Today I plant to spend the day in the yard. With no rain there's not a lot of mowing but I have lots and lots of weeds. :confused: I also want to paint and pretty up some things.

Have a good one ladies!

Good morning, Y'All.

Since I have not been working out for a while, due to traveling, a virus and visitors, I decided to get basic today. I did Basic Step and the lower body workout on the same DVD. I thought that lower body workout would be pretty basic and not too challenging, so I used heavier resistance. I think I really fried my legs & rear end! It might be basic & short, but it was a bit more of a push than I expected.

Joan, you must have wings and a halo. :D

Jann, I am thinking about ordering TurboFire. It looks like something fun to throw into the mix for variety. I still have birthday money left.

Have a great day, ladies.

Magnolia

Good morning,

No wings here. I don't mean for a day or two I mean run away for good.

Magnolia I'm glad you had such a good visit.

Jann Is TurboFire cardio?

I better not even think of a new dvd until I start using some of the ones I've already bought.

I didn't even get treadmill in yesterday. I have a sore throat and it doesn't seem like it is going away. Usually if I get sore throat without a cold, it is strep throat.

Good morning, Y'All!

I went to the lab early this morning to have blood drawn for my semi-annual blood test. I don't know why, but I usually feel tired after I have this done. I'm resting now, gonna see what happens later.

I was good yesterday. I ate well and had my light workout, plus enough sleep last night. I had to fast for the blood test starting at 7 last night, so I didn't eat any dessert. I'll probably take a rest day today, but I do have a workout planned for tomorrow.

Hope you all have a great day.

Magnolia

hi all, no w/out today, g/kids here and we were outside. it was miserably hot and humid, so not alot of fun. i was soaked with sweat.
yesterday was the firm's body sculpt, a super toughie, and i went heavy. i feel it today. my hamstrings are sore.
cathy

Good morning, Y'All!

I just finished Basic Step, the first half of which I did on an 8-inch step, then knocked it down to 6 inches for the remainder of the workout. First time I have done this one on an 8-inch step in a while. Next time, I'm working at least 5 minutes longer on 8-inch if I am going to take the step down at all. I followed with the upper body workout on the same dvd. I used challenging weights for the upper body workout.

The rest of the day, I'm throwing in a couple of bonus workouts--housework max plus grocery store max. I really hate grocery shopping. I think I would almost rather scrub the toilet!! (I said almost)

Have a great day, Ladies.

Magnolia

Good morning, Y'All!

The rest of the day, I'm throwing in a couple of bonus workouts--housework max plus grocery store max. I really hate grocery shopping. I think I would almost rather scrub the toilet!! (I said almost) Magnolia

Really? What is it about grocery shopping you dislike?
I am a list maker. If it's not on my list most likely it will not be in cart. I am in and out. Now, if Mark or one of the boys is with me that's another story!! :rolleyes:

I use grocery shopping as a mini wo. I go up and down every aisle.

I slept until 2pm. I can't believe it. Most of the sore throat is gone but now I have cough. I am 2lb less than yesterday. Maybe sleep as a wo? Probably just dehydrated.

I thought I felt better yesterday and started to do housemax. It didn't take much and then nap time.

I have gone back to Nutrisystem every other month. I share it with my mother. She gets next month. She has been getting heavier and thought this might help. You get too tired of it if you have to only eat it. She eats it for a month then doesn't for a month. I usually do 1 week on 1 week off or some variation.

Joan

Hi Ladies! I guess a check in every week or two is better than nothing!

Started back to school and will have my third classes of 6 this Mon, and Tue. Two classes are really hard, they are kicking my behind.

My workouts are still sporadic, but still holding the goal weight.

The heat here in GA is UNBEARABLE, I went grocery shopping yesterday and when I was driving home my care temp gauge said 102!!!! Today the heat index is to be 107. YIPPES!!! I never thought I would say this......but BRING ON WINTER. This is horrible!

So we have orientation for Josh at KSU(Kennesaw State University) a week from Monday, at, get this...we have to be there at 7:30am!!!....until 5:00 pm. After that it is my 4th class of LAW OFFICE MANAGEMENT, when I have to do a skit with my group. You guys are going to laugh when I tell you my part. I play the RICH ex wife that got the kids, the house and ALL THE MONEY. Quite different from my first divorce that I got no house, all the bills, the kids AND no child support. Go figure! I think the trick there was to marry well, actually have a house, and be able to take the ex back to court if he actually worked and made money.

Anyway, I'll be glad when these classes are over. AND SUMMERTIME TOO, "MY LITTLE PRETTY"!!!!

Try to check in next week after midterms.

Deb

HI all -- checking in with 60 minutes of walking.

Leaving for vacation -- see you in August!!

here is what i did today along w/parts of total body shaping mix. and old firm.

1. Heavy Squats: Watch those knees, keep them over your ankles. Keep your weight in your heels and send your butt back. Squeeze your cheeks together at the top and make sure you don't throw your hips forward. 12 reps please!
2. Power Squats: Beginners, you stay in a squat and lift up on your toes for a little "bump." Advanced folks, JUMP! Use those legs, bring your arms up overhead, and land softly. 12 reps!
3. Dip RIGHT: Keep your right foot still, knee behind your toe, and weight in your heel. Feel your butt just burn! 12 reps...
4. Romanian Dead Lift: Shave those legs with the weights! Keep the weights close, hinge from your hips, and send that butt WAAAAAY back! Your hamstrings are working here. Again, 12 reps...
5. Running Man Hop: Take your left leg back and hinge forward, then hop straight up bringing your left knee up. Beginners, keep this grounded! 12 reps!
6. Dip LEFT: Keep your left foot still, knee behind your toe, and weight in your heel. Feel your butt just burn! 12 reps...
7. Romanian Dead Lift: Shave those legs with the weights! Keep the weights close, hinge from your hips, and send that butt WAAAAAY back! Your hamstrings are working here. Again, 12 reps...
8. Running Man Hop: Take your right leg back and hinge forward, then hop straight up bringing your right knee up. Beginners, keep this grounded! 12 reps!
9. Heavy Plié: Your toes and knees are turned out here. Make sure you squeeze those inner thighs together at the top! 12 reps!
10. Power Plié: Start with a plié squat and bring your right foot in, step your right foot back out to plié and then bring your left foot in. Stay here if you are a beginner OR jump and click your heels in the center! 12 reps!

REPEAT a TOTAL of 3 TIME

tomorrow is supposed to be a 40m interval, but i don't get that considering i did weights today.

thought i posted for yesterday, guess not. yesterday i did cardio power of something like that. it is the cardio on 4-day split from KB & BC. unfortunately my darling grandkids scratched my dvd and it kept sticking. that makes me crazy. i can't stand stopping when i'm working out.
have a great weekend.

Happy Saturday, Y'All.

I did housemax again today. Then DH suggested that we go to a vigil mass and sleep in tomorrow (YAY!!), so we did, followed by dinner in a great local Italian restaurant.

Jann, I don't understand the dynamic behind my dislike of grocery shopping. I always make a list and stick to it, too, and I really love to cook. I just dislike going grocery shopping. Seems as if it just cuts into my day when I have lots else to do. BTW, have a great vacation.

Joan, good idea about making grocery shopping a workout. Never thought of that before, but I may give it a try this week.

Wow, Deb. I miss Georgia, but not that kind of killer nasty heat. It did get into triple digit degrees around the first of this month here in NY, and then it calmed down into the 90s for a while. Today, I'm sure it was 100 or close to, at least. Wishing you the best with your courses. When I went to orientation at KSU, I think it only took a few hours--not a whole day. But that was years ago. Anyway, I'll be starting back with my courses in September. Gotta get my life together a little more first.

Cathy, do you have all the newest workouts by Tracie? What do you think of them?

Ladies, have a great night!

Magnolia

Hi ladies,

Everybody is so busy and I'm just a slug. After getting up at 2pm I went back to bed at 3pm and just got up at 8. It looks like I will probably burn about 1400 calories today. It used to be I used 1400 calories on a non workout day with some awake time. I think I have increased that to 1500 or more. Of course it is more with any wo but at least I might be able to eat more when I'm down to my goal weight.

I can't get the weight loss signature thing to work. It was just showing that I lost 1lb so I deleted.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.