50 and over week of Jan 4 check-in

JoanC

Cathlete
Good evening Jann, Bev and Magnolia,
We just walked in the door. I'm glad to be home. It really feels like this year I can lose weight and get in shape. I'm sure it's all attitude, but I can't wait to get started.
I know I have gained weight but will wait for official weigh in until next week.
I've learned I can have a Christmas party or Thanksgiving and not gain weight. A whole Christmas week of eating with no exercise and then a week of vacation, maybe not.:eek:
I'll read last week's posts and catch up with everyone later.
Joan

New to group

Hi!

My name is Tina and I am new to the group! Gained 3 pounds over the holidays and am fighting off a cold. Do we have a check in? I am 51 and live in Southern California with my 3 boys and husband.

Happy New Year to everyone!

T

Welcome Tina,:D
Yes we normally tell what we did or are going to do each day. That helps me at least be more accountable.
I had planned to start sts today, Since I didn't get it yet, I'm trying to decide between fitnessfreak's and Cathe's Jan rotation. I babysit my grandaughter all day so my exercising is all done at night . (I am definitely not an early bird.)
I'll check in later when I have done wo.
Joan

HI Tina and Welcome!

I did my old PT workout today. It's a lower and upper body weight workout.
I did not get CLX today :( I hope it comes tomorrow. Today I am cutting out all sugar. Day 1! :D

Hello Everyone! Welcome Tina, and welcome back Joan! Magnolia, I hope you are feeling well. Jann, good for you cutting out all sugar! It's tough to do! And I hope you have been taking it a little easy so you are able to do CLX!
My CLX arrived UPS to the post office on the delivery date, then delivered by USPS the following day. On Friday I did Burn Intervals, it was a little harder than I expected, which is a good thing, I can always modify if I need to. Maybe I'll try Burn It Off & Recharge on Tues, not sure. Jann, I'll wait until you are ready to start the real rotation, so let me know!
Bev

Hi everyone,
Finally finished Monday's wo, I just had too much work to do. I did one hour on treadmill.
I think I am overthinking weights. I keep reading posts about not using heavy weights on lower body if you want to lose weight and not get bigger. I guess I should at least start upper body. Oprah's Bob Green suggests not even lifting the first month because you get too hungry. Other posters have suggested you can't lose weight and build muscle at the same time. You should just do cardio to lose first and then lift. When I used to lift regularly, I got muscles but I did not lose weight. I did not diet but also did not increase my calories. Can you tell I'm confused what to do without my sts.
I wish I had gotten clx so I could do rotation with you. Sts had better get here soon.
Jann - There seems to be sugar in almost everything packaged. What are you eating. Do you use artificial sweeteners?
Joan

Hi, everyone! Welcome, Tina and welcome back, Joan. Thanks, Bev, I am fine now. Hi, Jann, hope you are well.

Joan, I think it is great that you are cutting the sugar. I saw my doctor yesterday, who told me that my blood sugar was elevated on my last blood work. So I also need to cut sugar. I know we can do it, I have done it before, and I'm a dessert-aholic if ever there was one!

I think it does become confusing when we read all the advice from many different sources. It's confusing to me, too. I am also trying to lose about 20 lbs., and my plan is to do more cardio than weight work, and I'll probably use light to moderate weights. It worked well for me last time. But I never advocate any particular approach because we are all different, and you just have to find what works for you.

Have a great day, everyone!

Magnolia

Hi Jann, Joan ande Magnolia (I hope I hit everyone)
I did a 2 mile power walk with 2.5 weights on each leg and carried 5 lbs weights so I figuered I got in my cardio and weights at the same time. Will probably do the same tonight.

It does get confusing listening to everyone, I listen to my own body and go from there. You can go crazy with all the different ideas and suggestions from everyone. I have tried a gazillion diets, and now I eat only when I am hungry, don't "graze" anymore and try for 30 min at least 5 times a week workout. I am striving for 2 lbs loss a month and so far so good, just need to lose those 3 lbs I gained during the holiday!

Have a great day!

Tina

Hi girls –

I agree sometimes the more you read the more confusing it can be. I really feel also exercise is an individual as a well fit bra. You can be the same size, height and weight and still there’s a chance you will not fit into the same bra and be comfortable.
I have found over the years of trial and error with my body type and slow – slow metabolism that heavy weights, a little cardio and very close eye on diet works for me. I plan to but this plan into action this year! :)
I found the most I can lose is about ½ pound a week. Last year before I got sick I went to a place and had my Active Metabolic calorie and Resting Metabolic Rate assessments done. I was doing very well, then this stupid cancer crap happened and I had to stop BUT, I plan to get right back on that wagon again. Speaking of sick, my doctor told me today I can lift heavier than 20 pounds :D but I can only add a couple of pounds at a time and of course if it hurts I have to stop. (duh) ANY way I plan to start CLX if I ever get it… It ended up in a warehouse on the other side of the state so I am hopeful it will be here tomorrow or Thursday. Then Bev I’ll take a look and we can Get Started!
Joan I don’t use artificial sugars. When I say I am cutting sugar that means for me any sweets like cake, cookies and candy etc. I try to watch sugars in anything I buy prepackaged. I did purchase the nutrition software here at Cathe’s web. It has really helped me trying to pick foods that are good for me. I make JannCuisine’s ;) and freeze them instead of buying lean cuisines all the time. I also eat a lot of salads with raw vegetables. Breakfast I eat bran cereal or oatmeal. This is when I am trying -- lately I have not done any of this! I gained about 4.5 pounds from Thanksgiving to New years. :mad:
Have a good one!!

Good evening/morning everyone,

I got an hour on treadmill done for Tuesday. I may just keep up treadmill everyday until sts comes. I just don't want to take the time to think about what to do next. I just counted on sts being here to start on the 5th or if not surely by the 12th, but it doesn't look like it could be here until Feb.

Good news is I only gained about 2lbs in the last week, but am still down from the start of my diet. Hopefully I will have that gone by my "official weigh in" next Monday.

Tina and Jann - it seems odd that we are all only able to lose 1/2 lb per week. I may get the "new weight" off quickly but I'm sure next week it will only be that same 1/2 lb.

Magnolia - I do really well without desserts if they are not in the house. I always cook Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners and all the family comes to my house. I wonder if I can just not make desserts next year? Either that or tell everyone they can bring a dessert if they take home leftovers. No I think they should just eat the desserts at their own homes.

Bev - I'm glad you got your clx.

I think I will lift upper body as heavy as I can and do lighter than max on lower body. If sts ever comes, is any one else going to start with me?
Joan

Hi Jann, and other members, today I did Christi Taylor Step Heaven for about 50 min and I was pooping out at the end, don't know what it is. I even had a light whole wheat toast w/all fruit jelly and an egg white first thing this morning. My hips were killing me again last night, just aching and aching. Arthritis, I'm sure. My mother had it pretty bad. Here I go complaining and I don't even know anybody.

Everyone in this thread is going to do STS right? I read in another thread that some members are going to do STS for six months. I think that might be for me. Because, like you, Jann, it usually takes me time before I can increase my weight.

Sorry to hear about your cancer but it sounds like you're beating it. Good for you! It must be so tough. I work in a hospital and see so many people with cancer and they are getting younger and younger. It breaks my heart sometimes.

Do you have challenge going on too?

I saw under someone's name Decatheite. Does anyone know what that means? LOL!

Pauline

Hi Pauline and welcome!
DeCatheite is a member who has posted over 10,000 posts. That’s a lot of posts!! :p

Thanks! I beat the cancer! I am cancer free! :D The surgery was successful so I don’t have to have any type of treatments. I AM VERY grateful! It’s just been a very long well, it will be a year in February....when it all started. My goodness!
I don’t really know if every one here is doing STS. Good question! I ordered it. I also ordered the Beach Body Chalean Extreme. Waiting ever so patiently for. :rolleyes: I plan to do that until STS is out. Hopefully I can get myself built back up strength wise. I don’t think I can do 6 months but, who knows right now! How long have you been working out?
We have no challenge’s going on. Just getting back into the swing of things after the holidays seems to be a good for now. ;)

Joan yeah, that .5 pounds is max and I have to really watch my calories to make that happen! :confused:

Bev thanks for the heads up about the usps is going to bring it. I have been stalking the UPS truck!!

Tina I seem to like to graze way to often myself. I know I could do better if the food was not in the house. Unfortunately the other people here would not be happy. Self Control!! :mad:

Magnolia What type of cardio to you like to do?

Checking in to today with a 40 min treadmill workout followed by my PT body weight work. I didn’t really lift heavier today I just went with my light weights. I will also be putting away more of the Christmas stuff. That’s a workout in itself!

Welcome Pauline,:)
Hi Jann, Bev Magnolia and Tina,

Pauline - I definitely will be doing sts. Right now I am so busy with work that I haven't planned a wo. I usually have been just walking on the treadmill. I don't plan to miss a day of sts. I love that it is already planned out for you.
My original intention was to do it once all the way through then wait a week and start over, hoping to increase weights. Reading the ask Cathe forum, I may have changed my plan. She suggests doing week one all the way through and then doing week one again, and so forth with a break at 8 weeks instead of 4. The only month you may not need to do twice is the third cycle. This makes it a 5 or 6 month program.

I can do sts either way. If Bev and Jann or anyone else are doing program also I can do which ever fits into everyone's schedule best. I just wish it would get here.

I can only do a very low step, but treadmill is better for my knees and ankles.
Thank heavens hip not involved yet.

I have gotten back to Cathe's nutrition calculator since vacation. I love it.

Tonight's supper was a sweet potato and at same time my lunch of 2 40cal hot dogs on light buns. I better find healthy things to round out the day.

Elliot had her first day without pacifier. Today was rather difficult.

I got my hour on treadmill done.:)
Joan

Hi Joan, Tina, Magnolia, Jann and Pauline!
Welcome Pauline! I used to just love Step Heaven, but I don't think I've done it for a couple of years or so! I might have to do that for Thursday's workout. Christi's DVD's are so much fun, they just make you smile!
So Jann, are you ever going to get CLX or what???? Are you taking before pictures and measurements and doing the Fit Test?
Wed I did the Firm (5 lb) kettlebell workout, transfirm whatever it's called--I really like the old Firms (80's & 90's) way better than the newer ones.
Have a great day everyone!!!
Bev

Good morning!!

I got it!! (CLX) It came yesterday afternoon (in the mail) ;) So I have watched the first DVD, Healthy eats and kitchens. I have to say I love her kitchen. The form pointers were very well done also! I am ready to start!! Here's my plan - Burn Circuit 1 today, Friday-Treadmill,BC2-Saturday,Burn Intervals-Sunday. To give it a try and see what the workouts are like. Bev you have done some of these, you said BC1 was a good one, how did you like the cardio? Can you start today or tomorrow? :eek: Not much notice, I really need a kick in the butt! It looks like every week is the same. I'll have to read more of the plan. What did you have in mind?
I am also going to try to start her eating plan. I have never been very good at following a diet,:eek: so we will see. Today my goal will be B- eggwhite omelet with tomatoes AMS-deviled egg, L- Tuna on salad, PMS-protein drink, D- Chicken w/vegtables. I drink a lot of water so that's the easy part for me.
I took my before pictures and I weighed in and measured. :confused: So I am going to give this a try!

I love Christi too! My favorite of hers is Mission Possible, I think that is her easiest one as well.
I agree I can not get into these new firms. It seems they are trying to do so many things at once and they never do anything for more than a second. I can't get a good workout in. :(

Off to do BC1 :D I'll check back later.

Last edited:
Jann, I'm so happy you finally got CLX! I'll do BC1 today (first time) and Christi tomorrow!!! I'm so excited to get started! I have done both the cardio's, they are harder than I expected, but you get out of them what you put in to them--you can modify a lot or a little.
Bev

Bev thats great! I am glad to be started too! Can't wait to hear how you like it.
I did Burn Circuit 1. I went very light with the beginner gal and did not do the leg/band ab stuff. (I still can not do ab work until I am completely healed - really :p its not just an excuse) I think I could have went a bit heavier I will next time. So many things that I thought would bother me but did not. First I hardly watched the screen I watched myself trying to be sure my form was correct and listen to Chalean. I did my own count, because I was being very cautious. I do hate the clock on the screen. Mainly the exact opposite why it is there.
icon_confused.gif
I don't want to know how much more I have to go. I like to be pleasantly surprised when its over.
icon_lol.gif

It was really short but, I was feeling some after burn even with light weights. Cardio tomorrow!

Pauline don't worry about complaining... WE all understand about little pains that just were not there yesterday. ;) That's what is so great about this check-in. WE all understand we are not 20 somethings anymore. :D

Hi, Joan, Jann, Bev & Tina and welcome, Pauline.

We just arrived home from our annual Christmas Part 2 trip to Georgia to see my grandson and daughter-in-law. We went from there to Louisville, KY to see my husband's god daughter and arrived home a little while ago. We ate in restaurants all the time, and I did make serious attempts to keep the food in line. Since I was sick over New Year's, I haven't really wanted too much food, so I have ordered smaller portions of things where I could. Tomorrow, I'll clean out the fridge and get together a grocery list.

Joan, I also don't keep stuff in the house I don't need to eat. For example, I walk right by those 100-calorie packs of cookies, etc., in the grocery store. I know if I bought those, I'd still be in trouble--it would be just as easy to open two or three of them as one. So I just leave them in the store for someone with stronger will power. As to the desserts, maybe you could ask someone to bring dessert, then send the rest of it home with them. Or divvy it up with the rest of the leftovers and send it home with your guests. I think next year, I will probably make a much smaller meal--I always think I am cooking for 20 people and there are only 4 of us.

Jann and Bev, what is this CLX thing I hear you talking about?

Have a great day everyone!

Magnolia

Hi Jann, Bev Magnolia, Tina and Joan,

I hope I got everyone, thank you for all the welcomes. I didn't get any notification emails. I don't know why, I did the other day.

Anyway, I love Chalean too. I'd like to know how the cardio is when you do it. Yes, I agree, Christi is fun but sooo hard. I don't know if it's just me but it takes me weeks to get her step down, it's so complicated. I hurt my foot and couldn't really do cardio for a few weeks, that's how I had the patience to get that one down. And I don't know what's up with The Firm but I bought Dance Cardio Fusion and they don't even go through the moves once slow so I'm totally lost with that one. I'm going to pop it in again and try but it'll have to be on one of my days I'm taking it really easy cause it's like you said, you feel like you don't get a workout, just trying to master the darn thing. I bought Zumba too and I feel like that's a waste, it's kind of boring. I may sell that one on Ebay. I usually don't sell my lighter workouts, I figure it's not too long before I'm too old to bounce around the way I do now.

My son, bless his heart, told me the other day that he has a few teachers in their fifties and they are nothing like me. They're really tired and old looking. LOL! I got a kick out of that one. I told him it must be cause I exercise. Trying to set a good example.

I just got home from work, winding down with the puter. I better get to bed. That was a long one.

Have a great day!
Pauline

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.