50 and over week of April 11 check in

JoanC

Cathlete
Good morning,

Sorry about the late start. I finished work about 3:30 am and should have started thread then. I really thought I would have caught up by now but I got three returns in yesterday. The 5 other returns I worked on all need additional information and only 2 clients got back to me.

This is the 3rd week of beautiful weather. It's hard to work when the sun is shining and it's in the high 70's. Dh tilled veg. garden yesterday. I can't wait to start planting.

Joan

Hi, Everybody!

Joan, it won't be very much longer before you can get out in the sunshine and "play in the dirt" again.

I decided to go back on the South Beach Diet starting tomorrow, in addition to Dr. Amen's brain health program. DH is going to do this with me. We lost weight on this diet before, and I think we can do it again. The initial two weeks of restricting carbs might be kinda rough, but it will get me off the sugar. Anyway, it's only two weeks.

Hope you all have a great evening. Stay well.

Magnolia

Hello!!

Its almost over Joan! I don't know how you can sit still during tax season!

Magnolia- are you using the original bokk on south beach? How are you adding that to Dr. Amen??

I did a 4.5 mile walk run today- mostly walked- my hips are sore from too much pilates on Saturday.. Hoping to keep up the meso 3 this week and lots of cardio of any type!

Have a good evening!

sorry ya'll are not feelin' well. glad to see ya back.

today i did heavy lower body and i am gonna be sore tomorrow.

Good morning, Y'All.

I did Basic Step and the Stability Ball workout that's on the same DVD this morning. I thought I was way out of shape, but not quite so badly as I thought. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Beth, as far as combining the South Beach Diet and Dr. Amen's plan, the South Beach Diet does two things that Dr. Amen gives as two of his rules for Brain-Body-Healthy Nutrition, "increase good fats and decrease bad fats," and "increase good carbs and decrease bad carbs." In my case, those first two weeks are effective in helping me kick my cravings for refined sugar and refined carbs. That's a real problem for me, so I have to resort to what I know works. After these two weeks, I believe I can opt for brain-healthy eating more easily.

Have a great day, Ladies.

Magnolia

Hi everyone,

Just got back from Southern Md taking care of my mom.

I've been doing Cathe's April 2010 rotation and really enjoyed last week workouts. I rested yesterday and I think I'm going to do the same today.

Good morning,

I did finished Gym Style Chest & Triceps. I think my triceps are going to be very sore tomorrow.

I will be busy cleaning house today. Hope you all have a great day.

Good afternoon, Y'all.

Just did Lower Body Burn again. Not quite as hard this time. I was getting discouraged about my lack of energy and how these workouts were killing me, so for a brief time, I flirted with the idea of doing Cathe's Beginner Rotation. May do it yet, depending upon my stamina or lack thereof with the workouts I am currently doing.

I hope everyone is well. Time for me to go cook food. Have a great evening, everyone.

Magnolia

Hi, Y'All.

I know Joan is very busy with work, but where are the rest of y'all? I hope everyone is enjoying beautiful weather and that you are all well.

I just got bored with Basic Step, so today I changed up to Low Impact Step, followed by the Stability Ball Abs on the High Step Circuit DVD. Let's say I managed. I did finish the workout, and have decided that I need to push myself just a little harder.

Have a great day, everyone!

Magnolia

ooo linda, when i did GS ch & tri's, i was sore for 4 days. that is a great w/out. it is the on GS i have though.

mon-- dangerous curves ahead. cardio w/band and lite wts. 55m
tues-- total muscle shaping/interval, heavy wts. 45m. (both firms)
today , thank the Lord is rest. i have made it for 2 weeks working out 6 days straight. so i'll see if i can make it the rest of the month. :) have a great day.

HI all !! I am sorry about MIA. Treadmill and yard work today. Trying to get back to normal :)

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just finished last return.

Jann glad you are back.

I am going to slowly work into some discs until vacation. I hurt my shoulder from over adding machine work these last 2 days. I don't want to add any upper body until it feels better.

I bought tomato plants and now would like to go plant them. Althought I think I'll take a nap first.

Joan

Hi everyone,

I did Kick Punch and Crunch this morning. That was a challenging workout and lots of fun. My triceps and underarm areas are sore from yesterday. For some reason that makes me happy....the exercises are working.

Jann - Glad you're back.

Joan - Glad you finished your last return. Now your schedule can get back to normal...unless to like to work late every night.

Hi Beth, Cathy and Magnolia.

Good morning,

I did Gym Style Legs this morning. That is a very tough workout. I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow. My chest muscles are still sore from the other day.

Looks like it's going to be a nice sunny day!

Good morning ladies,

Help-I know the way my mind works and I keep thinking I will start diet after vacation. I should start it right now. I'm ok exercise-wise because I do need to ease back into it. It's just the food. At least I haven't gained in the last few weeks.

I have to go to bank and PO but will be back later with wo.

Joan

Good Morning, Y'All!

Glad almost everyone is back. I missed y'all!

I just finished Upper Body Burn. I found myself getting back to my old form today, and not just stiffly trying to keep up. A breakthrough. Anyway, not feeling so tired as last week. Upper back muscles are already telling me about this one, though. Gonna take Advil now!

Magnolia

Back again,

I only got 20 min on treadmill but at least it's a start. Too much running around to do today.

I've decided to do the Mayo clinic diet and start after vacation. They have a very strict first two weeks with no sugar and I would just set myself up for failure if I tried to do that on vacation. During the two-week period you add 5 habits, break 5 habits and adopt 5 bonus habits.

Habits- eat breakfast-already do that.
eat at least 4 servings of veg and 3 servings of fruit every day
eat whole grain bread,rice oatmeal -already do that
eat healthy fats-already do that
walk or exercise for 30 minutes or more every day.
Based on the above I should be skinny. But no they also say to eat 1200 calories.

Habits to break-Only as much tv time as you spend exercising. For me it would be reading. I read a 350 page novel and this 250 page diet book today. I will put the tv back in front of the treadmill and only watch while walking.
No sugar except in fruit.:( Alcohol is considered sugar so no alcohol. Also no artificial sweetner for the 2 weeks.
No snacks except fruits and veg.
Limit meat to 3oz per day and only low-fat dairy.
No eating at restaurants unless the meal fits the program and it probably won't.

Five bonus habits-keep food record.
keep activity record(and tv watching)
walk or exercise for 60 minutes or longer
eat " real food" not processed
write your daily goals

Good night,

Joan

Good morning, Y'All.

Joan, that sounds sensible. I never start something like that when I know I'm going on vacation or home for a visit. Too many temptations. Anyway, I almost half-way through the first two weeks of the South Beach Diet (which are also strict). This time, I added taking fish oil capsules and other supplements and making sure I get 7 - 8 hours of sleep every night, and it seems a little easier to stick to this time.

I'm going to take a "rest" :rolleyes: day today. I have too many things to do today, most of it housework, so workout tomorrow!

Magnolia

Good morning,

I did Gym Style Back, Shoulders & Biceps. I was glad this was a shorter workout. I need to pack and go help care for Mom this weekend. Will be leaving after I eat lunch.

It's hard to believe but my baby sister turns 50 today. Now I'm starting to feel older.

Joan & Magnolia - I'm not sure if I can follow a diet as strictly as the diets your trying...but I need to do something. I agree that it would be best to start after a vacation. Good luck to you both. I think because my schedule varies from week to week with visits to Mom's, I have been cooking less and less and eating out more. That is not good for me...I've gained 6 lbs on my little frame. I know I need to cut out the comfort eating....that would cut out a lot of calories on a daily basis.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Magnolia I'm glad you are feeling like you are back to full wo. There are several supplements I would like to take but have never been able to swallow a pill. I even have to chew up my advil. Yuck.

I bought 25lb dumbbells yesterday. The shelf was chest high. One of them got stuck on something and I had to yank it. It wasn't too heavy just a different movement. This morning my shoulder is even more sore.

Back later with wo.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.