50 and Over: ~~ Wonderful Wednesday!~~

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning all:

It is cool and 50 degrees here today! We had an awful wind storm last night.. with gusts that seemed like a hurricane! A large branch was torn off our beautiful maple tree in our yard. I guess we are lucky that this is all that was damaged.

Today was cardio, a new I-Tread and I did the 10 minute Ab Solution: Pilates Abs. Once again, I forgot to hit "start" on my HRM x(.

I did get to view the clips, and for some reason these played fine?? Seems like a lot of step :( , . Lots of modifcation for me..they didn't show much of the weight work. I will keep my fingers crossed that there will be good stuff there.

Today was a very sad time remembering 9/11. I was in DC about a mile from the Pentagon when it happened. We could not get home, had to stay another day, then take a train to Philidelphia, rent a car and drive from there. It is something I will never forget. The chaos and people running in the streets of DC, not able to get home to loved ones.

I was glad to hear that Brenda is healing and in good spirits.

Todays Menu:
Post workout: Choc protein drink w/12 oz water
B- 1/2 c Oatmeal with 1/2 c skim milk and applesauce
S- L/F cottage cheese with applesauce
L: Ham on WW, grapes, skim milk
S: stringster with an apple
D: Lean Cuising
S: slim a bear bar or WW choc ice cream bar

Garance:
I think you sent your monsoon my way last night. Good for you on the workout! What exactly is "Hi-Lo"?

Josie: hugs to you and we will keep your friend in our prayers. She is lucky to have a friend like you in this difficult time.

Linny:
I, too will keep these bars for when I am somewhere where I can;t get a decent meal or snack. I guess I can rationalize the sugar content because there is also 16 gr of protein with it. I think you are right on why we can view these clips and not the last ones. I think the last ones were too complicated with the chapters listed etc. How are you doing on your weight goals? Do you weigh every day?

Have a great day!

Deb
;-)

Happy Wednesday, All,

It's been quite a week!

I didn't mention this before - I think I was in shock when I posted -but there was more to the elevator accident than just the bare facts I posted.

When I was trapped in the elevator, I was scared to death the whole time that it would fall more. I figured if I was injured just from a short fall, I would pretty much be out of luck if it fell all the way to the basement from the 9th floor. I was shaking and crying and the security guy on the intercom was trying to calm me down.

By coincidence, my husband was just a few blocks away, at a doctor's appointment, when this happened. I told the security guy to call him and tell him to come immediately, that the elevator fell, I fell and was hurt, I was trapped and scared, and that I needed to hear his voice.

The head of security did call the dotor's office, but said I was trapped in an elevator at work (didn't mention it fell, nor that I was hurt), but that I was okay, everything was under control, and that I would be out in a few minutes. ALL LIES! Given the message he received, DH said he was in the middle of his exam and would come as soon as he was through.

When I heard that, I was not only hurting and scared, but also thinking that DH didn't care about me! It wasn't until I saw him that evening that I found out what they told him.

After I had been in the elevator about 15 minutes, the maintenance people from work managed to pry the door open part way. I could see mostly just the wall, but there was a small space at the top where I could see the floor and their faces. They wanted to lower down a ladder and have me climb out, but the elevator company wouldn't allow it, because it can shift 2-3 feet up or down in the process, and crush whatever body part was exiting.

Good thing I didn't know that until after I was out because almost an hour later the elevator guy realized he wouldn't be able to get the elevator unstuck, and a ladder was lowered to me. I climbed to the top, then squeezed through the opening and crawled out.

I made an appointment with my doctor when I got back to my desk, but when I talked to the Safety Department a little later (none of whom knew what had happened because Liar Guy didn't fill out a report as he was supposed to do immediately) I was told that I couldn't see my doctor because this was a workers' comp injury and she doesn't take those cases. The Chronicle (my company) sent me by cab to a workers' comp clinic, where I received a joke of an excuse for medical care. The doctor never laid a hand on me. She did have me attempt to touch my toes, which wasn't too horrible, but when she made me bend backward as far as I could, I felt intense, searing pain. I told her that really hurt, to which she replied I had a whiplash injury.

Then the weirdness really began. I asked her what happens now and she wouldn't answer any of my questions. Instead, she asked ME if I thought I needed x-rays, physical therapy, or medication. I said she was the doctor and I wanted her opinion. She never answered me, and didn't write any orders except to see her the next week. I then took a cab back to work.

When I told the Safety Department what happened, I was told that clinic was really good about getting people in quickly, but they kept wanting patients to come back over and over (I guess because payment is a sure thing). She said I didn't have to keep the appointment. I went back to my desk confused and hurting.

I went to work the next day (Wednesday, 9/5) where I received a phone call from Travelers Insurance (they handle workers' comp cases for the Chronicle). The woman asked me questions for about an hour, including what I thought I could have done to prevent the accident! I told her to ask the Chronicle or the elevator company. This is when I began to realize that no one was thinking of my health but everyone is worried about liability. It's going to be a 3-way brawl among my company, the insurance company, and the elevator company.

The adjustor from Travelers did say that I should have a back x-ray and possibly an MRI. When I told that to the Safety Department, the head of Safety said ''You do NOT have to do that. Don't you realize they are trying to manage your health care from afar? Don't you know they are just looking for a reason to deny the claim?''

Again, I went back to my desk, hurting. I was then off Thursday-Sunday. We did go to the B&B - the location was beautiful and peaceful, thank goodness, because I wasn't up to doing much walking and exploring.

When I got home Sunday night, I fired off an e-mail to Human Resources, Benefits, Safety Department, and my bosses. I said that so far I had received inadequate medical care, and listed what I now expected from the Chronicle as to my care from now on. Everything hit the fan Monday morning. They were freaked out, apologized all over themselves, told me to find a doctor I trusted, that they would take care of everything I needed.

I managed to get in to see a back orthopedist yesterday. He's in the same group of orthopedists I saw for my Trigger Thumb. I trust him, and he uses Methodist Hospital, which I consider to be the best in Houston. He examined me and ordered a bunch of x-rays.

The x-rays showed extensive arthritis and bone spurs on my spine (no wonder I hate yoga!) He said, if nothing else, all that stuff was greatly irritated by the fall, but he suspected I may compression fractures from the gravity and heavy load that my spine sustained in the quick fall.

I'm scheduled for an MRI next week. It takes a week to get pre-approval from Workers' Comp and to get in to use an open MRI machine. He ordered 3 procedures, for upper, lower, and middle back, said it would take 3 hours, and that no patient can endure a closed MRI machine for 3 hours.

He'll call me with the results. I see him in 3 weeks and am off work until then. I hope I don't have fractures because that will mean a back brace, at the very least.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I wanted you ladies to know what was going on. I'll check in daily, but for a while, I'll probably be saying every day ''Couldn't work out again today, and am pretty mad about it.'' I'll also let you know about any results I receive.

Have a wonderful day,
Jen

Hi Ladies,

I will be working out with my trainer today. I had a good run yesterday and got a big hug from a ladie that I was pacing. She was so greatful that I stayed with her and made her finish the run without stoping. That made me feel very usefull.

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about your injury and what you have gone though. I will keep you in my prayers for a fast recovery.

Josie

Hi Deb, Jen, And Josie--

I was blown away by your story Jen. I just cannot imagine how frightened I would be in the same situation. What makes it so much worse is the way you were treated or not treated later. I hope everything turns out okay with your back. I think I would go crazy in a brace. Ever since I heard a woman behind me on an airplane complain about the cramped seating, I am prone to panic attacks if I feel confined. I start to hyperventilate and turn all hot and red. I have to get a seat on the aisle.

I did S & H Legs and Shoulders this morning.

At the moment I am kapootzed from my 3 hour seminar--especially from standing during the second half wielding the DVD remote to find chapters to analyze. But they are excellent students, so I cannot complain.

It feels like fall here today--crisp as an apple and, for heaven's sake, dry. All day yesterday it rained really hard. My poor DH had to deal with lightning striking his electric fence, knocking out the fuses for our pump for water, and gullies in our driveway from the rain.

Enjoy the rest of the day, ladies.

Hi Ladies:
I start with menu from yesterday first;
Spec.K w/milk
protein drink
2 sl.french toast/sl.bacon
slimfast bar
buffalo chicken wrap
froz yogurt
Deb:I wrote on my to do list tomorrow~PICK BLANK CDS~. I went on I-Train last night and was checking out some on the programs. How do you do the strength ones without video? My weight seems to have stabilized at 163pds. I weigh myself about every other day. Its getter harder and harder to pick my self up off the floor when I do any situps or stretches. I quess I'm not use to carrying around all this extra weight. What kind of protein drink do you use? I've been using Designer strawberry mixed w/water. Its ok as long as I chug it.

Jen:So glad to hear that you are going to your own MD. I had a situation happen at work once and they sent me to their workman comp. MD. What a jerk! Saw me for about 10 min. and said I just needed to rest it a bit. I've been having off and on back pain since. That security guard sounds like a real piece of work. I think he needs to be replaced. I don't blame you for crying in the elevator(I'd be FREACKIN OUT) I hope everything works out and you can get back to your normal self.

Josie: That was so sweet of you to stay with the other runner.It sounds like she really appreciated it to. Have a great training session you deserve it.

Garance:I did 45 min of Bodymax 2 and chest of PUB. It also felt like fall here today. I can't wait to do some apple picking and some hiking. I picked up some Teva hikers on Ebay for $33. Brand new and feel very comfortable, can't wait to try them.
Well ladies its bedtime. Good night~Linny~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.