40 & over - week of 1/4/09

Good Monday Morning Ladies!

Glad the Holiday is over and we here are back to some normalcy.

Taking the kiddos to school then back to do an iTread along with that daily 200 kettlebell swing challenge for this month albeit I'm starting late.

Mary a menstrual cup is an alternative to tampons - its not for the squeamish or one who is not comfortable with her anatomy but at this point I'll try anything. Just Google menstrual cup. HTH

Anyways I hope you all have a great week!

picture.php

Good Morning! Just got everyone on the bus!! Yeah!! Now it is time to w/o, today will be LM, haven't done that one in a long time! Hope everyone has a great Monday. Lisa, have a great time skiing, it sounds like fun, I have never tried it! Vilma, hope you had a good w/o. Hi to all that follow, Have a good day. Mary

Yes, it is better to have some normalcy now. Everthing is put up from Christmas yet we have one more tradition we do tonight The Epiphany. It isn't big but it ends our holidays.
I'll work out later. Better get to work .
Veronika

Hello Ladies,

I got in at 4:30 a.m. so I don't think I am up to a Cathy workout, but I did walk the puppy the 3-1/2 miles home from the kennel, so that is at least something. Tomorrow, I hope to do S&H Chest and Back and some abs, along with walking Miss Agnes.

Thanks for letting me join,

Tobermory

Hi girls!

Lisa - I failed (already) being the "official thread starter".

Kathyrn - Welcome back! Glad you had a great time in the Bahamamas. Whats your workout goals this year? FF's written a awesome rotation for January, which, a couple of us are doing and loving it!

Vilma - Your right, that menstral cup is not for the squirmish down there. Thankfully , at this stage (touch wood) I do not need such thing. Hows your children?

Veronika - Glad to hear you are feeling better and are able to get back to exercises.

Hi Mary. I'm the opposite to every one. I really love having the children home. We've still got the rest of the month on school holidays. I have another week and half of leave left

Hi to anyone and everyone who follows

Hello everyone!

Happy New Year!
I'm back from the Christmas break. DD goes back to school tomorrow and I go back to work, yuck!

Looks like I've got some catching up to do around here and meet some new faces! Hi Veronika and Tobermory (love the name!). :)

Vilma - I'm not really squeamish and all but something about the words menstrual cup makes me feel a bit icky. ;)

Lisa - I'm so envious of you going skiing. I've never been and I would love to try it.

Mary - hope you enjoyed LM. Have you had to do much snow shovelling in the holidays?!

Andrea - lucky you having so much holiday still left. I must admit I'm sad that all the Christmas stuff is over. I just like the fact that life feels a bit different for a couple of weeks, away from the usual work/school hassles. I have more time and energy to play with DD and we're all much more relaxed.

I've managed to squeeze in a couple of workouts just since New Year's Day. I got ASC 3 and Patrick Goudeau's Hard Work Conditioning 2 for Christmas so I've been trying those out. I did some of ASC 3 today. The choreography is so complex, I was all over the place!

Well, I'm off to catch up on what's been going on around here! Bye for now.

Hi everyone! I'm back from the slopes and I'm pooped! It was a very fun time. My legs are extremely tired like I've done CCPP, TWICE! It was nice to see how much my fitness has improved since a year ago when I last skiied.
  1. The skiis felt so much lighter when I carried them from the parking lot to the lifts.
  2. My legs didn't tire as quickly nor did they "hurt", and I didn't have to take hardly any breaks at all down the runs.
  3. I skiied all blues instead of a couple blues, then the rest greens because my leg muscles felt more "conditioned"
  4. I'm not moaning as much as my DH.
  5. I could bend down easier to pick up my skiis (ie. I didn't have a belly that got in the way....remember, I've lost 45 lbs).
  6. There was no stopping to "catch my breath" ! I hardly felt like it was any cardio workout at all compared to Cathe.
  7. I still didn't zoom as fast down the mountain as my DS16 or DH, guess I just don't like going fast feeling out of control. However, I didn't tire as soon as they did although only by maybe one run.
So it was fun, and we got a deal where we get to ski at 3 different resorts for $99 each. That is cheap skiing! So we have trips planned for Feb and then March too.

Now onto personals!

Welcome Back Kathryn! I thought of you today while I was shivering on the lift thinking that maybe I should have instead basked in the sun on the Bahamas! Glad you all were well and could enjoy yourselves.

Andrea, you crack me up! You didn't fail at starting the thread, I was just up way too early and too excited about going skiing that I had to start it.:p

Ronne, I love having the holidays but when they are done I'm ready for everyone to go back to their regular schedule, mostly so that they get outta my hair and I can get back to doing what I wanna do.....I'm so selfish?!?!

Tobermory, I woke up at 3:30am this morning, I hate it when that happens. That's good that you walked the dog, I need to get back to getting my dog her daily walk now that the holidays are over. I'm sure she'll appreciate that!

Mary, did you do all of LM or just some of it like what FF rotation called for? I saw that and was sooooo happy, that LM goes on forever!

Vilma, I was being nosey this morning and saw on another thread that you have water in the morning. I do too, I have 2 glasses before I move onto my coffee and then I try to give it time to get through my system before I exercise otherwise I'm running to the loo all the time. :eek: Maybe TMI. I do like starting with water as I feel I need it when I wake up. One other thing you can do is add fresh lemon juice which has the below benefits (I don't like Lemon in my water though, I like the fresh Colorado water).
The Power of Lemon
What does it do?

- Corrects alkaline/acid balance
- Gentle liver cleanser
- Digestive enzymes
- Corrects acid reflux
How does it work?

The reason the lemon alkalizes the body is: the juice of a lemon, and the acid in the stomach from overnight when mixed first thing in the morning becomes alkaline.
How do I start?

First, you need to buy a big bag of lemons. Then first thing in the morning, before anything else goes in your mouth (even brushing your teeth), juice a whole lemon in 8oz. of warm water. Drink, and wait 20 minutes before putting anything else in your mouth.
Thought you all might like that tidbit of info I learned from my nutritionist.

Hellos to Veronika, Murphy, and anyone else I forgot.

Last edited:
Fly by...

I hate to be a hit-and-run poster, but I'm swamped with stuff that piled up in my absence!

I did Cardio Fusion today (which I love). Will try to do a leg workout tomorrow, but am really feeling it from my Sunday kettlebell workout (ouch!)...

Lisa, you get to ski! I haven't been skiing in years (although I used to work at a skiing magazine and we used to go once in a while, after we'd gotten the magazine out). DH & I were talking about taking the kids on a ski trip (they've never been; they're both Georgia peaches). I've never been skiing out west, but hear that it's a much different experience from the New England skiing that I've done (can you say "frozen granular?"). By the way, I took a bag of Greens First on vacation with me ... hoping that my suitcase wouldn't be inspected by the security folks!

Ronne, how are things going? By the way, there were lots of your neighbors in the Bahamas! I know that it was formerly under British rule, so maybe that's why ... (it couldn't be the weather, could it? ;) ) And ASC 3... I can't seem to master Amy Bento's choreography (although I did her kickboxing video while on vacation). I've really got to devote some time to learning it ... meanwhile, it collects dust with all of my Firm, Fitprime, TurboJam, and Karen Voight videos! I have way too many videos that I don't use. I wish there was a retirement home for old workout videos.

Vilma, I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the kettlebell workouts! Today I received my 12 kg KB from Perform Better (free shipping!) so now I have a rainbow of kettlebells in the workout room. I also saw you post on the KB check-in thread (I lurked briefly). I hesitate to join another check-in group because I'm doing well just to make it to one! Regarding that "cup" ... isn't that also called a "pessary?" I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

Andrea, I'm afraid of FF's rotations! Are they do-able by mere mortals such as me? Workout goals ... well, I actually attach numbers (weight, body fat percentage), then aim for something in the ballpark. I hate to admit how badly I ate on vacation (which is unusual for me), but I really let it all hang out, so to speak.

Mary, are the kids getting and staying healthy? We started back to school today, so I'm rested and ready to start "Battle of the Pathogens: Part 2!" Does it ever get better? I guess I have to ask somebody who has kids older than mine!

Oops, that wasn't very "drive-by," was it? Well, I've got to get the kids to bed. I know I missed somebody, but have to run! Bye!

Hi Girls! How is your Tues.? I finished FF, w/o for the day, chest, shoulders and triceps, I was certainly shaking! I know I wouldn't make myself work this hard on my own! I'm usually pretty lazy! We are redoing the kid's bathroom, the toilet guy just left, he was supposed to put in the sink, also, said it was too complicated for him, gave us the number of a guy, He charges $80/half hour!! I need his job! Kathryn, so far everyone is healthy, of course they have only been back for 2 days! How is the getting back to the real world going? Lisa, are you sore from skiing? I only did what FF told us to do yesterday, intervals 1-4 only! That can be the looongest w/o! Ronne, How is work? Also more important how is HWC 2? I have the first one, was wondering about the 2nd. Andrea, how long are your kids off school? Do you go year round? Hope you all are having fun together. HI to Tobermory, Veronika, hope you are all better, Vilma, Murphy and all that follow! Mary

Hi everyone,

Can you belive I am still sick? I bought some Mucinex to help break things up but that made me feel worse. It broke things up and I coughed like a mad woman. It is crazy. I am trying to exercise through it but this is crazy. I know, I will make an appointment with the doctor soon. Anyway, I have been using "My Fitness Coach" that Santa bought me. It is a virtual coach and is okay. I did abs Sunday, took Monday off and today is lower body. Happy Exercising.

Murph

Murphy!

Should you be exercising at all? Maybe you need to take a break until you're better! I know it's painful to take time off, but it may keep you sick longer if you don't.

I hope you feel better soon! I ought to own stock in the company that makes Mucinex -- I have bottles of it everywhere. I've got chronic sinus problems (and susceptible to infections). Sorry to hear about the lungs, though. Maybe the Mucinex is loosening up the congestion so your body can get rid of it.

Drink lots of water and rest! Hope you feel better soon!

Hi everyone! Just checking in, today was the first day back to a regular routine and geez, I think I'm ready for a vacation already! I liked the lazy, take your time, relax atmosphere of the last couple of weeks. Tomorrow the boys are back at school, today I had to take DH to airpoort and then go to work myself (even if only for 4 hrs). So it was a rest day as far as exercise goes but I don't feel I rested! The house is a mess too, so much to do, so little time!

Kathryn, my boss gave me a couple of greens first for Christmas. Easy for her, and she knows I love, love, love it! Glad security didn't take it away, they've taken muscle milk from DH (the kind in the single serve bottles). I think it's stupid you can't take more than 3 oz of liquid even if it's in a sealed container! He's gotten away with it in Denver, but they caught him in Chicago! :)

Mary, that's pathetic that for $80 a 1/2 hr that something goes beyond what he can do! I hate to see what the next guy charges! I think I'll do the FF chest, etc workout you did today tomorrow. I'm not doing the rotation in the exact order, I just make sure not to work upper 2 days in a row.

Murphy, goodness, take care of yourself! Your body may need rest more than exercise, but it also may need some better meds. Get yourself to thy dr!

Hellos to everyone else, gotta run, I think dinner is almost burning. :eek:

Hi everyone. I know it is late so i have to be brief.
Murphy, Rest, rest, rest. I did not enjoy taking several days from working out while being sick.But , my body was telling me I had to do it. No way could I jump around with an earache.
Thanks everyone for the sympathy while I was sick. I sure am glad it is over.
I typed in last night but lost the post and did not have the energy to retype it.
Lisa, thanks for the info on lemon. I drink it in my ea at least 5 times a day. I did not know all the benefits. I think since I have lemons around all the time I should start drinking it in just water. I know you had a great time skiing. the last time I went was whenDH and I came to the US from Venezuela on Christmas Break and went skiing in Toas, NEW Mexico. That was fun but now I;d be chicken.
Ihave to go to bed.

Veronika

Hello girls.

I must be brief (Ha! thats a challenge!!;)) Todays workout was LowMAX 1-5 double dipped blast no 1. Followed up with 15 mins Tae Bo and Abs from MIS But I struggled. Really struggled. I think my legs are still fried from last weeks legs!

Murph - the girls are right, you very much sound like you should be resting and get to the Docs. Poor you! Been sick for too long now.

Kathyrn - YES YES and double the YES a mere mortal such as yourself could do a FF's rotation. I'm doing ONE! And I've really let myself "go" especially cardio wise, I'm like a puffed out old woman!

Lisa - Glad you had some fun ski ing. My days are constantly like yours, so much to do, so little time and the house is a mess! GRRRR.

Mary - How did you get to be a day ahead? Did you skip a day or do two in one?

Hi to Veronika and Vilma, Ronne welcome back glad everything is well with you, and Tobermory hi

Hello Ladies

Today is a cardio day for me and also 200 kettlebell swings.

I seriously need to come back over here and post personals I had not realized you guys have been chatty :) that's what I get for not checking in here after 2days :eek:

I'll BBL when I have more time to do personals as at the moment I'm sneaking online while the kids have breakfast.

picture.php

Hello everyone

Gosh it has been busy round here!

I've just done an hour of yoga which was lovely. Yesterday was HWC2 lower half and my hamstrings feel sore today!

We've had a light dusting of snow and apparently it was -11 overnight here (that's in C I've no idea what that is in F) but that's the coldest we've had for a few years round here. I'm still resisting putting the heating on during the day while I'm working though! Lots of layers and my workouts warm me up!!

Lisa - your ski day sounds like lots of fun. I'm so envious and well done you on the improvements. It's great when you can actually notice a difference isn't it?

Kathryn - yes, the Bahamas are a popular destination for Brits. Never made it there myself but did honeymoon in the British Virgin Islands 9 years ago. Heaven. Hope you had a great break.

Mary - HWC2 is tough! I'm only doing it split in two. I couldn't imagine tackling the whole thing at the moment. It's my first Patrick workout and I really like him. Very enthusiastic! I really like the lower body first half. It feels like it really works my legs but in a different way from just doing squats, heavy weights, etc.

Murphy - don't want to nag but you need to REST! If you're not getting better then it's only going to take you longer to recover if you continue to work out. I think all of us have been there and know how frustrating it is! Come and vent whenever you want!

Andrea - those FF rotations look mighty tough. Keep up the good work!

Gosh - this is an essay! Hi to Vilma and Veronika and everyone else!

Hellos ladies! I think my arms are finally recovered from my FF workout to type! I did 4DS chest/shoulder/tricep and then the BM2 chest/shoulder/tricep. I need to get to cleaning the bathrooms, thing is I don't have any more to give in my arms so there may not be much scrubbing. :p

Ronne, -11C is 12F (I had to look it up)....yes that is cold, but we've already been down to around 5F this year(that's -15C), but remember, we don't have the humidity here, so it doesn't penetrate the old bones as much (it does dry out the skin though). I'm getting tired of the cold already, this winter we've had a lot of wind (really hate the wind), 60mph at times. It blows down the mountains into the cities at the foothills, ugh.

Kathryn, I highly recommend skiing in Colorado, of course I've never been anywhere else but from what they tell me the light fluffy snow we get here (from the cold, dry temps) is like champagne powder. If you want the kids to know how, you have to do it while they are young before they have fear! The kids love the snow boarding, but we are too old for that, it hurts more when you fall and those boarders fall a lot especially when learning.

I promised myself I wouldn't write a book with this post as the bathrooms are still calling (and I'm still delaying). Better get to it. Hellos to Veronika, Tobermory, Vilma (you swing it girl), Murphy, Mary and whoever else I've forgotten.

Hey everyone,

Funny, I was not going to post today because I slacked off and skipped exercising but figured I should own up to it and here I read all these posts telling me to rest. I guess you guys know what you are talking about because I do feel better. Also, the kids slept more last night and that allowed me to get more sleep. My MIL is coming over this weekend so I hope to get some rest then too and be back to exercising "full-lift" (get it, full-lift, full-swing...) next week. I also need to get back to my 1RM testing.

Murph

Wednesday Afternoon

Hi again.

Well I did Step Blast followed by the 200 swings early this morning.

Now I'm in the mist of laundry max and wondering what I'm going to make for dinner.

Mary wow I just read about the bathroom redo - Goodness 80 dollars for 30 min? Nice job he has there. FF's rotations are da bomb! They are really good well thought out rotations. I'm saving her Jan. 09 rotation.

Veronika glad you are feeling better. Being sick is the worst. Is your family over it too?

Waves Hi to Tobermory :)

Lisa that's how I often drink my water w/ lemon :) Glad to know I'm not the only one who does that. Actually I love lemons and when I buy soda pop I always need to add a few slices. I tend to drink water like a fish lol If its not in my tea its straight out of the water bottle or w/ lemon.
I've never been skiing probably because I don't care for the wet cold snow. Sounds like you & your family had a grand time of it though.

Kathryn Welcome Back! Yup my 8,12 & 16 kg are the vinyl Perform Better ones. I got that free shipping w/ my 16kg plus no tax great deal. Did you get that dvd that came free for the month of Decemeber? I looked over it briefly and it was meh.

I know what you mean about having other check ins sometimes I can barely keep up lol.

Murph I am so sorry you are still dealing with that cold. Reminds me of this past Sept where I was sick for about a month and a half I hated it. Sending you get well soon wishes.

Waves to Andrea.

Hope I didn't forget anyone :eek:

Take Care

picture.php

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.