30 Day Veggers going strong - Day 5

Liann

Cathlete
Goodmorning or should I say mid-morning ladies! It's shaping up to be a hot one here today with very high humidity - yuck!

Breakfast this morning was some Kashi cereal w/ soy milk. I have plenty of leftovers from the potato soup last night, so I am planning to reheat that for DH and me for lunch and make us some grilled cheese sandwiches on whole wheat. If I am feeling particularly brave, I may try this vegan cheese substitute that I bought.

Hope everyone is having a good Saturday!!!

Good Morning Liann

Im very excited we have made it to day 5 already and Im feeling very good. I am starting to have that "feeling cleaner on the inside" feeling you were talking about earlier.

I will also be having Kashi with Soy milk. It will be the first time I have tired soy milk. I will be having leftover mushroom pizza for lunch and I will be having whole wheat pasta shells tossed with browned butter (Smart balance organic vegan) fresh garlic, cottage cheese and asparagus for dinner. Im sure I will have a couple pieces of fruit during the day as well.

Liann - let us know how you make out with the vegan cheese if you try it. I looked at it in the market yesterday but was not brave enough to purchase it

Good morning!

Liann: let me also know about that vegan cheese. I'll let you do the experimenting!! LOL!

Teri: your dinner sounds delicious!! Yummy!

I am going to try to roast some tomatoes today like Gayle said. So far so good. I ate out last night and looked over that menu a million times for a salad that appealed to me. They didn't have one with any kind of fish... but had a ton with different kinds of chicken or a Chef with turkey and stuff or a taco salad. So, I actually told the waitress exaclty what I wanted in the salad and they made it the way I wanted. I had them put salmon on top. They did have a veggie burger, but I had one for luch and didn;t feel like another one. Also, at alot resturants, they fry their veggie burgers and I don't eat fried food of any kind. So, we'll have to learn as we go!

Have a great day ladies! Keep up the good work!

My DH made the sandwiches and he used regular cheese, so I guess I will try the vegan stuff out sometime this week while he is working.

Teri - I can't drink the soy milk by itself, but in cereal, I really can't tell the difference.

Vicki - I'm glad they worked with you at the restaurant. A lot of times there is only 1 choice on the menu. I wish we had more health conscious restaurants in my area. :(

I think that Pizza is on the menu for dinner tonight (especially after hearing Teri talk about it). I had wanted to make this crock pot chili from a recipe I got on goveg.com, but I used all of my vegetable stock on the potato soup yesterday. It's amazing how many recipes call for that! So, I think tonight will be pizza with mushrooms, red peppers, onions, and some "fake" ham substitute that I bought. We'll see how that all goes over. ;)

Hey guys! Happy Saturday! Day 5 already? wowzers!

I've got a bit of a challenge coming at me in an hour. We're headed to my 'friend's' (can't call him boyfriend yet) ex's son's DBay party (got all that? LOL). And she's cooking burgers and dogs. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable yet with her to just bring my own, and I know I shouldn't worry about it, but I am. lol SO....I filled up just now on watermelon. I'm pretty much planning on hitting the veggie tray. OK....I'm sitting here thinking, "I'm an adult, right? I can simply say I've got vegetarian and put my own veggie bean burger on". OK....I'll try it out. Who cares if they look at me funny and talk about me behind my back! LOL Like high school! OK...I'll do that...take my own homemade veggie bean burger!

I'll let you all know how it goes later!

Keep up the pace, ladies! We're closing in on the 1 week mark and feeling STRONG!!!!!!!

Gayle

Gayle - I hope everything went well at the dinner! I plan to bring my own veggie dog to grill at my family's Labor Day get together. I know it must have been hard though to do that with the friend's ex's son's Bday group! Although, hopefully out of politeness, they will not give you a hard time. My family is going to cruxify me! :eek:

Well, I tossed the pizza idea because it is just too dang hot to turn the oven on. Instead, I put out all the ingredients for taco salad and had a "taco salad buffet". I tried this one brand of ground beef substitute (I think it was Go Lean). Anyways, it was AWFUL! Smelled just like some household detergent and tasted like it too. I seasoned it with a taco seasoning pack, but then it just tasted like taco "detergent". My DH was a good sport though and ate it anyways. :p

Aww Liann Im sorry the ground beef substitute did not work out. Seems like DH is being very supportive though.

Gayle- I hope not one gave you a hard time at the BBQ. It was very brave of you to take a veggie burger.

Hope everyone has a good night

Hi ladies,

I am still here! No meat! I fell so much better!

Gayle I would bring my own veg.burger! Who cares!

Liann sorry about your taco detergent:D :D Alesia buys a ground beef substitute (I don't know the name?). I have to ask her!! This one is really good!

Teri I like Kashi and soy milk!!

Did you guys try the Gardenburger BBQ Riblets! They taste just like the real thing!! My DH even likes this one!}

Have a great weekend everyone!
Belinda

Hey guys! Just a quickie to say I managed to stay a Veggers today/tonight! And actually, I completely FORGOT my bean veggie burger at home and didn't realize it till we got there! LOL So I vowed to myself to stay with only meat-free stuff. Turned out to be okay, since there was a tray of lasagna that was made without meat. I can't say I kept my eating completely CLEAN....but it was without MEAT! LOL

Gayle

Hi,

Just want to encourage everyone on how well you are doing-hi fives all around!

I went to visit my brother and family in June for nearly a week. I forewarned them that I didn't eat meat, eggs or dairy. My sister-in-law asked a lot of questions, mostly why I had chosen that way to eat. And there were even more questions once I was up there from extended family but my brother was so supportive! He grilled a lot while we were there and was so sweet to make sure I had what I needed. At the beginning of our stay, my sister-in-law went shopping with me to make sure I had what I needed as well. What I thought was going to be a real challenged ended up helping my sister-in-law reevaluate the way they were eating. My sister-in-law's sister gave me one of those blank recipe books (remember I'm the very limited cook!) and she wrote in that some of her favorite veggie dishes. They were all wonderful.

Good luck with your get togethers!

Diana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.