30 Day Veggers - Day 9!!!

Liann

Cathlete
Goodmorning ladies! I can't believe we've made it 9 days with no meat! :) I got a few cookbooks yesterday finally. The Moosewood one looks like it is going to have some good recipes. I do not have a lot of the ingredients though, so I'm going to have to put together another shopping list. I've skimmed the other two, but until I start doing some of the recipes, it will be hard to know what books I like.

I also bought "Becoming Vegetarian". It's a little detailed, but probably a smart read for anyone looking to make this a lifestyle. It talks about nutrition and how to get enough calcium, iron, etc...

Tonight, I am making corn chowder for tomorrow's dinner. My DH starts grad school tonight, so I'll just eat something simple. I think Friday is going to be a baked potato bar and left over soup. I have all the ingredients for 3 cheese stuffed shells, so I will be having that sometime this weekend along with veggie chili for lunch one day. I find as long as I have stuff planned, I'm good to go. If I just go into my kitchen though and try to find something to eat, I'm stumped. There are only so many salads a person can eat. I need to learn how to make some humus and probably start working with tofu. Oh well, baby steps... ;)

*chomp chomp chomp* *burp* Man, that Big Mac was taaaaasty! ;)

Just kidding, of course!

Liann, sounds like you're really going whole hog with the veggie-ness - awesome! Corn chowder sounds yummy. :9

I have nothing exciting to share. I've been eating leftovers for the last 3 days. Woo hoo! Today it's more lentil soup for lunch.

I would just like to take a minute to say I *heart* Kashi TLC cheddar crackers. Major yumminess! :9 Healthy? Eh, maybe not. But damn tasty. Just thought I'd share. ;)

Hi,

I've been reading the 30 Day Veggers posts the last few days. Since a lot of you recommend the Moosewood cookbooks and they have published quite a few. Is there one you prefer over another?

Thanks
Sabine :)

Hi Sabine! I only have the "New Moosewood Cookbook", but it looks pretty interesting so far. I love the layout, everything looks handwritten. I think Em knows more about them, so hopefully she will chime in for you.

Good morning veg heads,

My copy of Vegan Planet is in at the library! I can't wait to have a look-see. If I like it, I'll go ahead and buy it. I like to "preview" cookbooks, because I have so many that I never use. Such a waste of space and money. So, live and learn and use the library first for me.

I went to my favorite Mexican restaurant last night and almost caved in and ordered nachos. But, I stood firm instead. No cheese was consumed by me last night!

Vanessa

Liann,
Just wait until you try tofu. YUM!!!!! I generally use the extra-firm, which you press on paper towels before sauteed, roasting or grilling up. It's my absolute favorite thing right now. Peruse the Cooking Light website (www.cookinglight.com) - they have a ton of great tofu recipes. I get so happy when tofu is on the menu for an evening. Although today I have an upset tummy and am not up to cooking, so tonight's dinner is likely to just be plain rice or noodles or something very simple and bland. I'm going to have soup for lunch.

Vanessa - cheese is going to be a hard one to give up if I eventually eliminate dairy!

NY25 - I have one of Louis Hagler's books coming on Tofu cookery. I'm hoping to get some good recipes from that. I really haven't done anything with tofu yet except for a failed chocolate pudding recipe. The recipe called for silken tofu, but it was just a runny mess. :( We drank it with straws and I promised not to make it again. ;) I can only go up from there!

Hello again ladies. I just ran out for a few minutes and picked up a few items that recipes kept calling for - flaxseed, flaxseed oil, sesame oil, tahini, liquid aminos, a bunch of other "odd" items. And at the moment, I am actually eating a fig. According to this "Becoming Vegetarian" book that I have been studying, they are packed with calcium, iron, potassium, and fiber. My blonde moment came when I was eating it and thinking, "Where have I tasted this before".... DUH - Fig Newtons! I bought them at the only natural food store in town and they are actually pretty decent. Kind of like a prune, but I like the taste better.

The only thing I didn't find is nutritional yeast flakes. Anyone know where to get those??? I'm assuming it's not the same as traditional yeast?

Liann, I haven't been able to find nutritional yeast anywhere either. It sucks living in the boonies. It may be something you'll have to order online.

Em - I know, I really wish I had a good store around here - a Whole Foods or something like that. I'm lucky enough that Giant has a few rows of organic/veggie foods. Not too many options, but at least they have something. I just ended up ordering from Pangea. I bought 2 bottles of the nutritional yeast since a bunch of my recipies seem to call for it. I also bought some TVP. We'll see how that goes over. ;)

hello everyone..I had a crazy day and have not had a chance to check in until now. I hope everyone is having a great day.

Liann- just curious what is the nutritional yeast used for? I see you already ordered some but I am going to whole foods tomorrow and I will be happy to check on it for you there.

Teri - You know I just read what it was for and now I can't find it. It helps add something to the diet, but I can't remember what mineral/vitamin etc. it was. It is in several of the recipes in my books and after reading what it was for, I figured I'd better grab some. I'll look through my book and see if I can find it. ;) Eventually, we are all going to be experts on this stuff!!! :)

FINALLY found it - Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of B-12. That is one vitamin that Vegetarians and Vegans especially do not get very much of in their diet.

Thanks for the info Liann. Im going to look for "Becoming Vegetarian" at the book store tomorrow. It sounds like a good investment

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.