30 Day Veggers - Day 22!

Liann

Cathlete
Good morning ladies!

DH is still nagging me to make some more cookies, so I will be off to the grocery store at lunchtime to pick up some flour. ;)

Last night, we just threw something together for dinner. DH had some hot dogs and I had a frozen veggie wrap that I had bought along with some baked beans, & potato salad. Unfortunately, my dinner ended up being only baked beans and potato salad because the wrap I bought was so hot (pepper hot) I swear it gave me third degree burns on my throat! ;) I read the front of the packaging very carefully and it said NOTHING about being hot. In very small print on the back though under ingredients, I found jalapeno peppers. I do not normally have a problem with them being cooked in something, but these were like battery acid toxic. My DH conferred my assessment when he took a bite. He likes spicy foods, but could only handle two bites. So I will not be buying anymore of those! ;)

Spent the rest of the evening proof reading my DH's first paper for his grad class. Blah....

To make up for the lack of dinner, I made myself a tofu smoothie. Just tossed some tofu, soy milk, strawberries, 2 T flax oil (high in Omega 3 fatty acids), and some agave sweetener in a blender. Dinner in a glass. ;)

Teri - I posted those recipes for you on yesterday's thread. Enjoy! :)

Good morning
Liann~ Im sorry about the toxic peppers on your veggie wrap! It stinks that there was no "warning" on the label. The beans and potato salad sounded yummy though.

How are the tofu smoothies? Still really nervous about using tofu. I am excited about "the cookies" I will be making them in the next day or two.

Beano has also recently become a very good friend of mine. I do think I will have to give corn up for a few weeks. While Ilove it I guess it is true that too much of a good think........

I will be having a salad for lunch and bean burritos for dinner tonight.

Teri - I am actually getting used to the tofu smoothies. You just have to play around with the ingredients because it is the other ingredients you really taste. I make sure to use "silken" tofu and have a sweetener like agave (a veggie alternative to honey) on hand. Without that, it was just bland. If I had some more fruit, maybe some blueberries and a banana, I might not need the extra flavoring. Oh, and I pour the smoothie over some ice in my glass. I like it super cold and I only drink it through a straw. 2 T of Flaxseed oil gives you your recommended daily value of Omega 3 fatty acids, so I throw that in for good measure. It just disappears - does not make the smoothie oily or anything.

I brought veggie soup for lunch along with some brown rice. I am on my own for dinner tonight. I'm thinking of doing a baked potato and some veggie chili. :)

Hey guys. I just wanted to pop in quickly and post the Roasted Veggie Soup recipe that I LOVE SO MUCH! I made a batch of it the other day and have been eating it for lunches/suppers. ENJOY!

Roasted Vegetable Soup

2 turnips, peeled and quartered
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 ½” pieces (about 1 lb)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 ½” pieces
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 T olive oil
32 oz. fat free low sodium chicken broth
1 ½ C water
2 C 1% low fat milk
6 T fat free yogurt (I omit this)

**Preheat oven to 500° F.
**Toss turnip, carrot, potato, onion, garlic and oil together and place in a roasting pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally.
**Squeeze garlic cloves to extract pulp. Place pulp, vegetables, broth and water in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
**Place one-third of the vegetable mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture. Return it all to the pan; add milk, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Ladle into bowls; top with yogurt.

Yield: 8 servings, 1 1/3 C each, 2 WW points per serving
Original Source: Weight Watchers Annual Recipes for Success 2007

LOVE THIS SOUP! Just had it for lunch, in fact! ENJOY!

Gayle

Gayle- thanks for posting the soup recipe. It looks yummy

Liann - thanks for the info on the smoothie. I will pick up some of the silken tofu and give it a try. Have you tried the vanilla or chocolate flavored soy milk? I have only tried the plain and I was curious about the flavored as an afternoon snack for protien.

Hi Belinda!!!

Teri - I have not tried the vanilla or chocolate flavored soy milk yet, but the vanilla may actually taste better in the smoothie. I'll have to give that a try the next time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.