30 Day Veggers - 1/2 way there!

Liann

Cathlete
Wow, it's day 15 already. :) How did everyone make out over Labor Day weekend??? I spent most of yesterday talking to my mother about everything I had been reading lately on vegetarianism. I was surprised that she was all ready and willing to sign up so I am going to pass off my copy of "Becoming Vegetarian" to her as soon as I am done with it. I also found out that my niece is vegetarian. I had no idea. She's only 14 and I've just never noticed that she doesn't eat meat (I thought she was just a picky eater), but my mom said she hasn't eaten meat in years. So, I now have 2 new allies for the upcoming holidays. I plan to make several veggie dishes for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've also made a mental note to call my niece and tell her I'm doing this so she knows she isn't alone. We're a really close family, so I'm shocked I never noticed before. I think she might have been trying to keep it on the down low so she wouldn't get teased.

Hope everyone had a great holiday! I had a yummy veggie burger along with some vegetarian baked beans and potato salad. I did not feel deprived in the least. :)

Hi, Liann! HURRAY for 2 partners in this! Makes it easier, I'm sure!

Well, we're back from our camping trip this weekend. It was a BLAST! Nice and relaxing, fun and gorgeous! Glad to be home, though! BUT..I can't say I kept it meat-free all weekend. That's the extent of my confession for now! LOL No details, I promise. But it's back to the grindstone with it today.

I START MY JOB TODAY AS WELL! I'm pumped about that too! I've gotta go shower and get dressed. I'm loving the little bit of time in the AM before I have to report in.

ANYWAY.......BBL sometime after school. Happy TUESDAY!

Gayle

Hey you guys!

Gayle: You are probably at work now but I just wanted to wish you lots of luck on this new venture! You are such a strong woman and you deserve to be happy and fullfilled. I hope the new job can give you a sense of that! BTW, I think it's national " give amnesty to people who slip up and eat meat" day, so you're in luck. No explanation necessary...

Liann: Glad your weekend went well. That's great that you have a couple of new allies, especially your mom. I have a very close friend who is a vegetarian so we have been talking alot. Sounds like you have been doing great!

Everyone keeps asking me why I'm doing this like I'm trying to prove something... I really don't feel the need to have to explain myself over and over!! UGH!

I plan to make some brown rice with red kidney beans, peppers, onions and some hot sauce and have enough leftovers for the next day or so. A friend of mine makes this with chicken, but I'll just leave that out.

So, DH bought the tofu for me, now I have no idea what the heck to do with it. Also, he bought me soft tofu, just the thought of that freaks me out. Any ideas??

Okay, just got done teaching so off to shower.

Have a great day!

Vicki - I'm pretty new to tofu too. I made a veggie lasagna on Friday that I just added a whole bar of firm tofu to for the heck of it. I mixed it in with the ricotta/spinach mixture and DH didn't even know it was there. As far as how to cook it on it's own, here's a little explanation I found online from the author of "Vegan Planet". I ordered a book called "Tofu Cookery" and I'm hoping that helps give me some more ideas.

"Let’s call this “Tofu 101.” All tofu is not created equal, but this primer will help you better understand this wonder food. If you’re new to tofu, it will probably be a while before you’ll want to eat it cold and raw because plain tofu is definitely an acquired taste. Well, actually, it doesn’t have much taste on its own—the beauty of tofu is that it quickly absorbs the surrounding flavors and seasonings. The conventional wisdom is to use tofu as an ingredient in combination with other more flavorful ingredients, rather than “unadorned.”

Silken tofu is best for smoothies, sauces, puddings, “cheesecakes,” and other soft, silky, or “saucy” recipes.

For stir-fries, sautés, or other dishes that require a sturdy texture that retains its shape during cooking, use regular tofu, a.k.a. Chinese bean curd. Press the water out of your firm or extra-firm tofu by cutting it into slabs and placing them on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Top them with additional paper towels, another baking sheet, and some heavy canned goods. You’ll be ready to create amazing dishes with tofu.

Here are some simple ideas to try: After draining the water from tofu, heat a small amount of oil in a large nonstick skillet, add slices or cubes of firm tofu, and fry them on all sides until they are golden brown. Now comes the “flavor”—add a splash of tamari sauce or teriyaki sauce, simmer for a few minutes, then add to stir-fried fresh veggies and rice and—voilà!—you’ve got a quick, easy, and, most importantly, tasty meal. You can also make a quick sandwich filling by simmering browned tofu with barbecue sauce."

Gayle - Good luck with the new job!!!

Hi ladies,

I am still not eating any meat! 14 day going strong!

I had Kashi for breakfast and sushi for lunch!

Gayle good luck with your new job!

Liann thanks for the Tofu 101 tip!

Vicki your dinner sounds great! Maybe I make that tonight!

Have to pack for Germany! Do you have the Classis Volume 1, if yes do you like it?????????????????????????????

Have a good one!
Belinda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.