<<< We're Melting on Thursday >>>

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Well the 2 little hellions tried to get up at 3:30 today x( , and I forced them to stay down until 3:45, when I figured that any more "whisper yelling" would wake DH up who is still very sick with a bad cold. So I got up and did 40 minutes of High Step Training. ( actually 33 minutes plus the stretch). I am down another pound, this is the first "offical" pound of the challenge, since the last loss was before Jan 1. I think that weighing yourself the first thing in the am after a cardio day is the way to go! :) . I think your muscles retain a lot of water when you lift weights, so the next day you are heavier. That's my explanation and I am sticking to it! LOL

p.s I bought that Kimberly Spreen Absolute Kickboxing DVD from Ebay. I hope I like it. Should I buy some type of light body bar?

Robin:
What it the Diet Minder Journal? is it online or hard copy? How did your hair turn out?

Judy:
Glad to hear your DD got in ok. Being stuck at an airport overnight can be scary. I am glad they thought to put them in a special room. I didn;t know they had those. Did you like the Classic? I only saw the third period and the shoot out was great! I can;t believe the fans staying all the way to the end in that cold snowy weather! Half of my family was there. How do you do the apple that was in your menu? It sounds like a good after dinner snack..

Shelley:
I have taken a rest week when I have gone away for vacation. It really works and you don;t lose much in strength. I think after a long time it is good to do this, both physically and mentally.

Shannon:
You are going to melt with the rest of us! You mentioned trying to cut fat. What are the things you have problems with? sweets? or salty snacks? What is your trigger food? The one thing that makes you binge? mine is sugar.. once I start I can;t stop.

Tneah:
Hope you feel better today. Thanks for the inspirational
thoughts! :)

Leanne:
Isn't it fun to look forward to lunch with a friend? I hope you had a great time. It is smart to listen to your body and take a rest day when you need it. I am in awe that you wrote a book!

Emily:
Good for you for doing that KPC workout!:7

Michele:
Repeat after me:.."I will not procrastinate..I will not procrastinate"..;-)

Lainie:
If you were successful with WW, Go for it!

Have a great day!

Deb ;-)

Good morning Deb. I'm LOL at your mantra for Michele. If I know her though, she will put off saying it. I saw the dietminder journal on the Open forum thread about the best fitness finds of 2007. I thought it might help keep me on track. If DH hadn't of brought the magic cookie tray (magic because it never empties) upstairs last night, I could have said I did well yesterday. Oh yeah, I forgot about the sub he brought home for dinner. But it was just turkey, lettuce and tomato and a hint of mayo.

I had a crappy night's sleep and seriously thought of calling in sick today, until I remembered that DD and DH will be home. DH is in the midst of cleaning off his desk, so there are piles of papers all over the house. There is a pile spread out on the livingroom floor, the familyroom floor, the diningroom table, etc, etc. The only room without paper piles is DD's room, which has a floor covered with clothes. Sigh. I think going to work will be much more restful than staying here.

So the plan for today is CCV2, followed by chest work from GS. Or should I do the weight work first? I never know which should come first.

Hi to all the rest of you in the melting pot. I'll try to get back later for personal stuff.

Hi melters!

Deb- the apple is easy: cut it into 1/2 inch chunks and put in a creal bowl with a bit of water. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon cover with wax paper and put in microwave for about 2 minutes. Be careful, it will be very hot when you take it out. It the apples are still hard mix them , cover again and mirco cook another minute.

Robin- I think the order in which you do your WO is the one you like best. There are pros and cons for both.

Today is either a circuit with BOSU or Kick box and BOSU abs

menu:
B- either steel cuts oats and blueberries and plain NF yog. or whole grain toast, natural PB and fruit
S- Lara bar or fruit and 2 TBSP almonds
L- broccoli slaw steamed & tossed with sesame ginger dressing (Paul Newman) on a lo carb wrap with a TBSP of PB
S- opposite of AM snack
D- Spicy Shrimp & Fettuccini (Cooking Light October 2007) and salad.

I added a couple pieces of dark chocolate last night. It did not even taste that good. x( I hope I remember how it did not taste good tonight :eek:

[font color=purple][font size +1]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well.
William Osler

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

Hey everyone!

Deb - I'm LOL at the whisper yelling from the dogs! My fave is when they come up to the side of the bed and stare at you until you open your eyes:p

Robin - I hope work goes well today and I agree with Judy that you do your w/o in whatever order you like better.

Judy - once again your menu for the day sounds great!

I don't really have anything to share. I got home last night, put on my comfy clothes, ate some soup my SO made and vegged on the couch, which is COMPLETELY unlike me. I don't think I like it very much.;)

Good morning, Melters!

Good grief, it's cold. If I just stood outside and shivered for a while, I'd probably burn more calories than with an Imax. ;-)

Sigh. I actually broke down and measured how much cheese I typically eat with my dinner. I'm utterly disgusted. And to top it all off, when I got home from work, I was so starved that I grabbed the PB jar the minute I walked in the door. Not good. I have to find something... anything... that will stave off that sort of afternoon hunger but is still low fat!

I'm going to play around with FitDay.com and see what sort of acceptable calorie/fat combos I can come up with. And today's workout will be CC 5 on the elliptical. No wait - maybe it's CC 6 with Sean. I can't remember. Anyhow, CARDIO!

Deb - thanks for your vote of confidence. My problem is, obviously, cheese and peanut butter. Desserts aren't usually a problem. I can keep them to once a week easily. You and those dogs! They really need to let you sleep!

Robin - isn't it a shame when work is more restful than home? Poor you. I hope it IS restful and that you don't have to deal with too many headaches.

Judy - what is broccoli slaw? Does it use cabbage, or replace the cabbage with broccoli? Sounds interesting!

Shelley - your evening is exactly what a rest week is all about. So, do you feel any more rested yet?

Good morning!

Okay, let me try this...Ahem...

I WILL NOT PROCRASTINATE...I WILL NOT PROCRASTINATE...I WILL NOT PROCRASTINATE :D

I think I have this whole procrastination thing figured out. It has to do with the fact that I haven't slept through the night in 10 years ;(. It's DH's incessant snoring! Suffocation by fluffy pillow is sounding more and more like a viable alternative :p

Today is a cardio day and I haven't yet figured out if I'm going to do another CC or a walking DVD. I bought myself 2 new walking workouts for Christmas that I haven't had a chance to try and I'm kind of curious about them. I have a deskunking appointment early this morning so I won't be doing my workout until I get home.

Deb - ROTFLOL at your whisper yelling! How did your "hellians" ever get into this habit? You're a genius! Your notion that one would weigh more following a weight workout is inspired. I shall weigh myself on the morning after a cardio workout from now on! :D

Robin - You know me too well, my friend -- LMAO! I'm sorry you didn't sleep well. I saw in another thread where you're expecting a stressful day at work. I hope it goes better than you anticipate and I'll pray on it for you. And I hope the piles of papers are gone by the time you get home.

Judy - I was greatly relieved to read that your DD made it home and is no worse for the wear. Thanks for posting that apple recipe. I think I'll try it today :9

Shelley - I'm glad you're taking a rest week ;)

Lainie - Life is too short to stick with a diet you don't like, so by all means switch to something else! I did SBD twice and the second time around I skipped the first phase and went straight to phase 2. I can't do phase 1 -- I need my whole grains and fruits ;)

Hello to everyone else and I hope you have a perfectly melty day!

ETA Cuz - I'm lol about burning more calories by standing outside shivering than you would doing an IMAX!! Maybe I'll try that :p . We can call it Shiver Max! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/gen125.gif

Cuz, I'm sure you'll figure out something with your diet. I wish I could help you but I don't know how to work around a vegetarian diet. Have you thought about making an appointment with a registered dietitian?

Michele - does your DH have sleep apnea? I know that sometimes causes incessant snoring. Maybe you need to sleep in another room? That's what my ex-ILs ended up doing. He snores like a truck downshifting on the highway.

Shannon - sorry to hear that the cheese is a bit more than the 1" cube serving size. I've been attacking the PB jar lately too. Which isn't going to help me keep off the 9 lbs I've lost.

Hiya there, Melters! Happy Thursday!

Deb, I ALWAYS weigh myself first thing in the morning after a workout. :) I refuse to get on the scale any other time of the day. Sorry the little hellions got you out of bed early, though. You will enjoy Absolute Kickboxing - it's fun! I haven't even tried the body bar segments yet, but when I do, I think I'll just use my old Firm Powerstick thing (it's 7 pounds I think).

Robin, have fun with CC vol2! I, personally, would do the cardio first, but it really depends on what your focus is. If building muscle is more important to you, then you should do weights first, when you have more energy. :)

Judy, your lunch yesterday sounds delicious! I'll have to try that one sometime.

Shelley, well of COURSE you didn't like doing something that was completely unlike you! It pulled you out of your comfort zone. It's good to do that every now and then. When you're done with your rest week, you'll appreciate your workouts that much more. :D

Shannon, I think you're on to something with that burning calories by shivering. FreezeMax, we can call it! It's crazy cold here too. Ahhhh, yes, cheese... so easy to overindulge, isn't it? 1 cubic inch is, well, not nearly enough. Again, I can't remcommend enough the Sargento cheese snacks - they're all preportioned (like string cheese) so you don't overdo it. Chipotle cheddar is da bomb diggity! :9

Michele, way to go on not procrastinating with your mantra! ;) If DH's snoring bugs you, then I agree with Shelley - sleep in another room. My parents have done it for years because my dad's snoring is equivalent in volume to a diesel engine (and he also has sleep apnea - so tell your DH to get checked out for that!).

Alright chickies, I'm off to save the world, or some such crap. Later! ;)

Michele - sleep in another room. It's the only way my poor mother survives. And do a walking workout! You have to try the new stuff! Have fun!

Emily - I just may cut up my nice, beautiful block of sharp cheddar into 1 inch cubes this weekend. Sigh. I can't believe I'm even thinking this.

Good morning, Melters!

Well, I'm taking another day off from working out just because I'm feeling tired and a bit drained. I think I've also become a little too obsessed with cutting calories this week. I'll weigh in tomorrow, but think that I need to increase my calories a bit more.

My DH left the house at 6:30 this morning to take his brother to the airport. My BIL is a sweetheart, but it's always nice having the house back once company leaves, isn't it?!

Deb -- You poor thing! Those cute little pups need to learn to sleep in! Let us know how you like the Kimberly Spreen workout. I've been curious about her workouts.

Tneah -- How are you feeling today? Any better? Hope you're back to feeling good!!

Shannon -- Seriously try BFFM! He gives so much useful information about timing your meals, etc. One of the key things he says is to never let yourself get hungry; you should eat every 2-4 hours. Can you try bringing a snack with you to work so you can eat it on the way home? I find that if I snack in my car during my evening drive home, I'm much less likely to start scarfing down food as soon as I walk in the door. Hang in there with your good habits!!

Michele -- Thanks for your kinds words about my book! It was a lot of work to do, but was really enjoyable. I LOVE Panera, too, and have a hard time resisting all their goodies. Yesterday I got a plain turkey sandwich, though, so I could get in some protein. I know what you mean about procrastination. Sometimes it's so much easier to put things off! Of course, the snoring does sound like an issue! Hopefully you can get some good sleep soon!!

Lainie -- Definitely go back to WW! Don't try to force yourself to do a system that will make you miserable. Are you enjoying your visit with your mom? How are you feeling?

Robin -- How neat that you live near Bucknell! I've heard that it's a beautiful college and a beautiful area to live in. How did your hair turn out? I always love getting my hair done. I feel so good afterwards -- until, of course, I have to style it myself the next day. I can never get it to look quite like my hair stylist does!

Shelley -- Are you taking your rest week as planned? It sounds like the perfect thing to do for your body right now!

Emily -- Have you had a chance to enjoy your new clothes yet? And how about that cute purse?

Hi Meltees!:7

I am feeling pretty drained this AM (I think I might need a blood transfusion}( )but no cramps thank goodness. i will pop an iron pill and go about my business!
I have not started the Jan. rotation cause of TOTM, but will start today. Thinking about weighing today, but will probably wait til tomorrow.
Oh, I got my Dietminder book last night. Its pretty cool. You enter all sorts of stuff in there. It does have a limited caloric content thingy in the back, but I found a terrific site for everyone, it you are interested in seeing how many calories you are ingesting, and how many you need to eat in order to lose weight. Its called caloriecount.about.com

I found I ate around 2,000 calories yesterday! Wow, and I ate really clean. That seems like alot, but I personally need to eat around 1,900 to lose fat. So this little book and that site will help keep me honest. I too, am diggin' into the PB jar. Whats up with that??:)
Didn't mean to sound like I know it all when it comes to losing bodyfat,that was just an extreme case scenario and my experience with it when I was bodybuilding.;( I think we all understand how to eat and stuff, its actually being consistent that is hard!}(

Be back for personals later gators.....

Hi Friends-

tneah- your comments ate welcome! keep em coming :)

Leanne- good luck tweaking you calorie needs. :)

OK I made a good lunch by mistake and want to share. We had no lo carb wraps left for my broccoli slaw wrap, so I used 3 ounces whole wheat angel hair pasta, 2-3 cup broccoli slaw steamed in microwave, and tossed it with a dressing made from 1 1/2 tbsp natural PB, and 1/4 cup Paul Newman's lo-fat Sesame Ginger Dressing blended together. It is quickie Asian Peanut Pasta! This is a keeper for busy nights. You can make it in the time it takes to boil pasta!

For whomever asked. I buy 'broccoli slaw' pre- sliced and bagged (like bagged salad) in the produce section of Wegmans.

Lanie- The food plan that is best for you is the one you can live with! While SBD may work for some WW is better for some others.
but if a plan is not working any more ditch it! (I did WW for several years and found it wasn't working for me, because I was in a rut. I do best with simple clean eating and vegetarianism. I did not tolerate veganism ( too restricting)

[font color=purple][font size +1]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well.
William Osler

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

Hi all again!

Oh, Tneah, I LOVE the advice you gave and always give! You know so much, and I think it's fabulous that you have so much to share with everyone!:) Keep that advice coming to us!! I'd actually love to hear more about your bodybuilding and competition days. It sounds so fascinating!

Judy -- That recipe sounds awesome! I'm going to add those items to my shopping list for the coming week. I love trying new recipes out!

TK -- Where are you at? Are you back at work? :)

I'm actually a big eater, too -- I end up eating about 1,900-2,000 calories a day, but, so far (fingers crossed, in case I jinx things!), I've lost weight doing so.

I really liked the Diet Minder and have used it off and on for years. I ended up getting really lazy about adding things up (I blame in on being mathematically challenged!), though, so I've been using a free on-line program from Self magazine that adds everything up for me.

Are any of you thinking of getting Cathe's new nutrition software? I'm thinking of it, depending on how much it costs. My worry is that I tend to obsess over entering my food right after I eat something, and I was going to try to stop adding up my calories soon. I want to do it awhile longer, though, until I get my body fat and weight where I want them to be.

Happy melting!

Whew, what a day at work. I'm glad that is behind me, along with my workout.

Judy, yes, I figured it was whichever I preferred. I usually like to do cardio first, probably because I like it better. That apple thingy sounds good.

Shannon, yay on the cardio. I did CCV2 today, and have 6 and 7 waiting. I may do one of them on Saturday.

Michele, I'm afraid if my DH snored, I'd have to move to another room. He occasionally breathes loudly and I end up poking him until he stops.

Shelley, I may be the lone voice in the wilderness here, but if resting doesn't feel right, don't do it. Maybe you should just do workouts at a slightly easier level and call that a rest week. Just 2 cents worth from a world class rester.

So, Evily, did you save the crap, I mean world, today?

Leanne, yes, Bucknell is a lovely school in a lovely town. (Shelley was there last spring, weren't you, girlfriend) My hair turned out pretty good. At least, I was able to style almost as well as he did last night. You make sure you're eating enough, hear?

tneah, I'm happy to hear you like dietminder. I'm getting mine next week, according to the email from Amazon. Wow, I have to eat 1500 or less to lose weight. Unless I'm under estimating my calorie count, which is all together possible.

So tomorrow is my knee MRI. 7am. I wonder if they will be able to tell me anything right away or if I have to wait a whole week until I see the doctor again? I'll let you all know whatever, whenever I find out. See you melters tomorrow after my weigh in.

Good evening, melter's!

I have to be kind of quick here -- DH and I are going out to dinner and I'm still not ready. I didn't procrastinate today, but I haven't done my workout, either :p . I've been really busy and then it got to be too close to dinner time. I have a date with my DVD for 9:00, which is frankly still a little early for me -- lol!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions about DH's snoring. I don't think he has sleep apnea, but I've asked him to look into having a sleep study done. What I really think he needs is to lose some weight ;) . I would love to sleep in another room but I don't have anywhere else to go. We have a spare bedroom but we use it for storage because we don't have an attic or a basement. There's a bed in there but good luck getting to it *SIGH*. I've slept on the couch before but it's not very comfortable or supportive and I always wake up with a stiff neck and back. Maybe I'll make an effort to at least clear a big enough section on that extra bed for emergencies.

Judy, that pasta and broccoli slaw recipe sounds wonderful! I buy that slaw all the time -- I love it!

tneah, I agree with the general consensus -- I'm really intrigued by your experiences as a body builder and I love hearing about it! I'm absolutely fascinated by it.

Robin, good luck tomorrow! Please let us know the minute you hear something. Oh yeah -- I poke my DH...and kick...and shove -- lol!!

Have wonderful evening and I'll see y'all tomorrow :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.