* CHEETAHS Eatin' Clean or at least better* 1/03

It looks lie we are all trying to get back to our baseline healthy food choices. Stepping on the scale only set me back 3 pounds, but it is time to kick the bad choices out the window.

I only skimmed yesterdays thread quickly this morning so personals will be sketchy.

Cathy- Did I read that you made a spinach smoothie and actually liked it? DS21 accuses me of putting spinach in most foods, but never a smoothie!

Carole- Is the new cold Rx/ minimizer working? I remember Sara posting every day up until her first marathon and then that was it.

Laura- did you do the 10 miler?

Christine- yum on the roast veggies! And *high five* on passing up the appetizers at dinner. How was the indoor ride?.... sorry about Penn State losing their bowl game. Oh, I do recall your first HM !

Hi to Jackie, Linda ( are you back yet?) Shelly, Wendi & Wendy and Dallas and Gloria and Posh.

Yesterday was 7 miles on the TM supposedly easy pace, but impatience got the best of me and I did several tempo paced segments and two big hills with iTread #5. Today is a rest day and a busy family day.

TaTa and enjoy the first Saturday of the year!

Good morning ladies!

Cathy - I don't normally have time to play around with the smileys and I can't at work. I'll probably sub running for the cardio or use it as an add on some days. I'll see how the first week goes. Since I'm only running 2-3 days a week, I should be fine. Great job with iTread Ski! A spinach smoothie doesn't sound too appealing. I'll have to check that thread out sometimes.

Gloria - Happy New Year to you too! Enjoy the rest of your sloth days! Good job with LIC!

Judy - No weight gain for me over the holidays, but that BF sure does go back and forth. :eek: Good job with the 7 miles. I get impatient too and want to get it over with. Enjoy your rest day.

I'm getting outside for a run with RP in a few minutes. How I feel will determine how far I run. I'm not that stuffy and I should be ok.

BBL

Good morning cheetahs

Judy...I am feeling better today and slept better last night so I am hoping for a shorter cold time!! Enjoy your rest day and busy day with family.

Cathy...re: the Airborne. The first time I tried it I got the children s one as they were out of the adult. I had never used it so as I drove home I popped one tablet in my mouth (they are pink) OMG, instant pink foam everywhere in my mouth and I could not reach my water!! I finally had to pull over to ger my water...sheesh! Way to go on the "A" in potassium
clap2.gif
I eat those Apricots about everyday. The run in the rain was not bad. I did try off and on to get in a nap yesterday. Watched Gone, Baby, Gone and then Rendition last night. I am sure in a movie watching mood!

Christine...this is a very good friend and she has always been there for Karen and I during any of our training. I was quite pleased to get the Garmin for her. See my post above for the chewable Airborne story...:)...Hope you got in a good ride inside yesterday.

Jackie...I had not heard of Umcka either until my trip to the Health Food Store. I feel less clogged up this morning and slept a lot better last night. Dusting is not my fav either but bathrooms are the worst. I do like vacuuming though...:)..the rain was not too bad yesterday. I am hoping for a non rainy day tomorrow. have a good run with RP today.

Here is a link with Umcka info: http://www.herbalremedies.com/umcka.html

Today will be some upper body work and abs. I am not going to do any cardio because of the cold. I know the long run tomorrow could be tough so today I want to take it a bit easy and watch NFL playoffs!!!

Hiya chickadees!

So sorry for my major MIA-edness. Between work, workouts and life it's been C*R*A*Z*Y!!!! I feel so out of the loop and promise to catch up ASAP:(. I miss my Cheetah time:p. Reader's digest version...

1. My new morning schedule is working fab!!! Sunday and Tues I ran 4.5 miles both times and felt great!!! This morning was 4DS KB and a 3 miler in the bitter winds:eek::eek:.

2. My belated Christmas turned into Christmas/New Year so that was kind of fun.

3. I'm down 8 lbs and .8% BF since before I got that stomach bug...I had a feeling that was just the jump start I needed;).

I really have to get back to work. I hope everyone is doing well...miss ya gals! TTFN!

Good Morning Lovely Cheetah Ladies!

Laura – I can’t stand a messy house, although I’m not a clean freak. It’s kind of funny. Glad to hear you were able to get yours in ship-shape. Hope you’re feeling better today.

Jackie – that darned scale is still the boss, but it’s slowly getting better! I’m not a fan of dusting either. But, I’m spoiled. We have maids come in every other week to clean. How did you like to Rob Glick Strength Training? I’ve heard good things about him.

Cathy – I hear ya on the EEEEK! Giving us motivation. I agree. If you eat the right things you don’t feel hungry. Amazing how that works! Thanks for the info on the potassium! Man, I was shocked on the OD how someone ripped into John Travolta and said how horrid a father he was. What a thing to say about someone who just lost a child! Wow! So you liked the spinach smoothie, eh? I’m not too sure about those. :eek:

Gloria – Happy New Year to you, too! I like LIC, too.

Judy – have fun today with your family! I think we are all getting back to baseline. Good job on only gaining 3 pounds!

Carole – I’m howling about the Airborne! Good thing no one saw you – they’d think your were rabid or something with all that pink foam! I love apricots, too. Thanks for the story of your friend – those are the very best kind, aren’t they?

Wendi – hello there! Glad your morning schedule is working out for you! Wow – 8 pounds?! Reminds me of the line from “The Devil Wears Prada” – “I’m one stomach flu away from my goal weight.” :p

DH, Jimmy and I are going for a hike today. That should be fun. Then it’s football, although the games today don’t thrill me. I think I’m going to make Mousakka tonight. It’s a pain to do, but oh so good. :D DH had me all excited last night (no, not THAT way – jeesh! :p). He took his Lexus in for service and they gave him a loaner of a brand new IS250. He had me drive it and told me that he would like to get one for me. Nice car, for sure – very sporty – I’d have to get it in red, of course! But after much discussion we realized that it makes no sense to get it until the economy settles, and we get DD19 through college. Oh well, I like my Mini, so I’m in no hurry, but man, it’s nice to dream every now and again. Have a great day all!

Hey Cheetahs!

Carole: That was so nice of you to get your friend a Garmin! Get some rest watching football and I have no doubt you will rock the long run tomorrow! :)

Cathy: Congrats on your wonderful eating yesterday! I bet you feel great. Your New Year ski trip sounded like so much fun! I checked out those CLX workouts and it looks really cool. Even thought about buying it for a second. I just have so many DVDs already. Yeah, the step combo 2 on LIC is a bugger. I do really love the rest of it though. :)

Christine: Nice job with the good eating. I did pretty well yesterday too. Those winter veggies sound great! I have been craving zuchinni lately. BTW, what brand panini maker do you have? I have been eyeing them in the store. Hope you had a great ride and upper body workout yesterday! :)

Laura: It is fun hearing the history of the Cheetah thread! Did you decide on doing the 10 miles today? Hope you are feeling better.

Jackie: I don't have any Rob Glick dvds. Glad you had a great workout yesterday. You have gotten a lot of cleaning done! Me, not so much. So, you're not sure about running another HM yet? I am stressing a bit about running my marathon. I just think it will be hard to train by myself. I can do it though. :)

Judy: Great job on the 7 miles! On the tm too, wow! :) How is the new book?

Wendi: So happy you are able to get in the workouts again! :)

Posh: I am glad you are finding some down time! :)

Hello to all the other beautiful fit Cheetahs! :):):):)

My biceps are really sore today from LIC. Today will be a run.

Take care everyone and enjoy this wonderful Saturday! :)

Good morning, Cheetahville! :D
Well, we're back home now and starting to get back into our routine-- sort of. I did get a 3 mile tempo run in as planned on Wed, but it wasn't easy! I used my mom's treadmill, and the darned thing doesn't go lower than a 1.5 incline... plus with the higher altitude, I was really feeling it by the end.
I'm desperate to go on a long run today, but I swear the elements are conspiring against me. I just need to get some of Carole's Iron Cheetah vibes and try my hand at running in the snow. :eek: I'm wondering if I picked the wrong marathon to train for. ;) The Top of Utah marathon is in Sept. But wondering if long runs are better in the snow or summer heat? Hmmm. Probably better just get my little cheetah derriere out the door and brave the cold. :eek:

Things are getting better. Some days I find myself pretty down with everything from last month, but the new year is a wonderful blank slate. It's easier to remain hopeful.

Karen: I love the idea of the oak tree to remember your mom. What a lovely idea. I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's heartache. (((HUGS)))

Judy: ITA-- December babies need to stick together! :D :D :D Had to smile at your Sound of Music quote to Dallas... that's one of my faves as well. Sorry to hear about your computer problems-- that's certainly no fun! LOL about getting impatient on the TM-- that is me too. I start at a long run pace and inevitably start doing tempo intervals to break it up.

Cathy: Was thinking of you up at my folks' place-- we had a Steve McQueen movie marathon one night! :D LOL about the Stay-Puf ski outfit. DH & I call my ski coat "the marshmallow." ;) Glad to hear you got some great time in on the slopes. Hey, I'll back you on the spinach smoothie-- I make those from time to time too! ;)

Gloria: Good luck with trying out Indian food in the kitchen! It is a staple here for us. Yum! :) So sorry to hear about your friends... truly hope things can be worked out. I'm right there with ya on the mary training-- I'm doing it solo as well and am feeling a bit... well... :eek: :eek: :eek:!!! We'll just have to lean on each other. :) We can do it... right?

Laura: Aww about DS6 phasing out of Thomas... I know there are those days I want to just freeze time and keep him this little forever. And then there are those other days... ;) But ITA, they do grow up way too fast! All your talk about Indian food is making me crave it! :) I love making huge batches of Indian food & then freezing it. It's nice to have healthy food like that & being able to reheat it quick on those days I just want to grab take-out! :D And with regards to the race training diet-- IA with everyone else, just go with what works for you. For me, I just try to eat quality... slightly more carbs prior to long runs, then sometimes a little more protein after. But really, it's not a huge difference from my normal fare.

Christine: Yum, yum, yum! Your NY dinner sounds delish! :) I am going to have to check those quesadillas out. Love a good quesadilla. :) I have been wanting a panini maker for awhile now. Right now I do the heavy-pan-on-top-of-my-sandwich-on-top-of-my-grill-pan thing. :D

Shelly: Fun hearing about the Cheetah history. LOL about Posh calling herself a mule! Too funny! :D Ah, starting the new year off with bill paying sure isn't festive, but it feels good to get it over with! :)

Carole: ROFLOL about your Airborne story!!!! Oh my gosh, that is so funny. You are putting out some killer workouts!!!

Wendi: I'm so glad I'm not the only MIA Cheetah! :) It's been a crazy few weeks, eh? I'm glad your new schedule is working out well for you!

Warm hellos to Jackie, Posh, Linda, Wendy and anyone I'm inadvertently missing. It may take me a bit to get caught up on personals.... so be patient with me! ;)

Happy 2009 everyone!

Hello, Cheetah Babes.

I feel better today than yesterday, but I'm still just blah. I'm not very sick, but I'm extremely low energy. Decided not to try the 10 miler today in favor of one more rest day. I'm going to do a long run tomorrow, but probably just 8 miles instead of 10.

It's already 8:30pm here. I'm going to chill out with a book for a while and try to get to sleep early so I can truly make my run in the morning!

Christine-- just saw your thread on John Travolta's son-- how tragic! :( ITA with your comments responding to that judgmental remark... I hate it when people can be so callous.

Hola, cheetahs!
th_sunshine.gif

Jackie—sounds like a good way to approach CLX and running. Surprisingly, the spinach smoothie was tasty. It’s a pretty big thread, so I’ll cut and paste the recipe I used:

2 cups spinach
1 cup frozen berries
2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
1 cup water

This morning I added a banana and flaxseed.

Carole—yikes! Good thing you had water in the car. *lol* at Christine's imagery. I don’t think those things are all that appetizing even dissolved in the water, but hey, they do work pretty good!...Yeah, the apricot tip was a great one—thank you!...I haven’t seen either of those two flicks. Would like to catch a few that are in theaters right now…Glad the Umcka has been effective for you. I will check for it next time I’m in the health food store. Thanks for the link…How many miles are on tap for tomorrow? Makes sense to take it a little bit easier today in light of the cold.

Christine—I saw that on the Travolta thread. It’s a shame it went that way…I *did* like the spinach smoothie, enough that I drank another one this morning! See above post to Jackie if interested in trying it out. Hope you enjoyed your hike. Greek Moussaka? *pauses to wipe saliva from keyboard* Sounds deeee-lish!

Gloria—Good point; I should part with some of the DVDs I don’t use. Enjoy your run!

Wendi—Congrats on the great success at the scales! Awesome!!

Brighton—Did you brave that biting weather for your run? Yeah, in my case, it’s not the coat that’s marshmallow-y—it’s me! *lol* But I’m determined to take off the “puff” I’ve put on since last ski season.

Workout for me was BM2 u/b and 4DS KB with weighted gloves. Fun!

Have a great day, all!

Hiya cheetahpals. Survived another long and very busy work stretch. They are packing them in like crazy at my hospital but that is pretty typical for this time of year just about anywhere. Yesterday I was able to get in a good session of MM between worknights so I was pretty happy with that. Today I got in a very nice 8 mile run after my nap and I'll head downstairs for a session of Rumble in a bit:D.

I've been trying to find a suitable spring marathon that works with my schedule and isn't too far to travel given my limited budget (sigh). I'm seriously considering GodsCountry Marathon in Northern Pa the first weekend in June. It is a very TOUGH marathon with pretty serious elevation climbs in it. Very much like the Whiskey Row Marathon back in Prescott, Az where I moved from which is what attracted me to it. Y'all know me.... I LOVE a challenge:eek::p. Anyway... there wont be much at all in the way of crowd support but the scenery should be awesome. It actually gets pretty good reviews (from runners who are crazy enough to do it anyway).

Judy- Only 3 lbs total damage for the holidays? Not bad at all I'd say!
It is a new year and we're all ready to get serious now!! Those 3 lbs will be history soon I bet!

Jackie- glad the weather cooperated with you and I hope you got in a great run with your RP!

Carole- Sorry you are dealing with a cold virus:( You are so uberfit tho I'm sure your immune system will have this thing slayed in no time. Jerry is dealing with some kind of bug now. Being a typical man tho he is milking it for all it's worth;). Being a critical care nurse however, he get's little sympathy from me I'm afraid! My typical response---"Ah come on, you're still breathing... quit your moanin!".:p

Wendi- Glad to hear that your new work schedule is good for you! Congrats on a great new start to the year!!!!

Christine- Ah... new car dreams! (sigh) Only a very distant dream for me at the moment... Here's to better times ahead!! That did sound like fun tooling around for a bit in that flashy car! Very fun day for you and I bet you and Jimmy had a fun hike!

Gloria- ooooh Bicep DOMS? Those are hard to get... I'm envious! That is really sicko isn't... being envious of someone elses pain!!!:p Hope you had a great run today.

Brighton - I definitely feel for you trying to get up the motivation to get outside for the long runs. Still planning on the SLC marathon in April?
We could all use a good dose of SuperCarole vibes for sure!!!

Laura- Sendin you some ENERGY vibes!!!!

Cathy- Getting in some good workouts for the weekend I see. Feeling rested and ready for work again on Monday... or do you get another week?

I think that about catches me up for now cheetahs! I should be able to check in tomorrow. I have today and tomorrow off before going back into the work pits!

tata

Shelly

Hail the Conquering Hero!

Well, ladies, I finally decided to bite the bullet. I put on Carole's Iron Cheetah cape & added a dash of Shelly dust and did a hilly ten-miler in the snow. I felt so hardcore! ;) :D Ten is huge for me. Even though I was terribly S-L-O-W fighting the hills and the snow it really gave me a huge shot of confidence. Yay! :D Running outside is positively transcendent after slugging some of those long runs out on the TM. Everything was just so pristine & white. Heavenly.

Cathy: LOL about "puff" comment... I think several of us are right there with you on the puff-loss wagon! :) Fun workout today!!!!

Shelly: You amaze me with your relentless schedule & energy. The N PA marathon sounds gorgeous-- with a name like God's Country, though, guess it's comes with the name. :) I'm sure you're going to rock those elevation changes. Yes, I'm still planning on the SLC 26.2 in April... the last couple of weeks my confidence was really shaky and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it. But DH has been ubersupportive, telling me I can do it... plus you guys have been super encouraging & motivating & as well. So.... I've decided to go for it.

:) Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday! :)

P.S. Right now I'm ROFLOL because my DS3 just came in from his nap & is sitting on my lap as I type... He saw the picture of Cathe above (on the Cathe Nation forum header) and said-- "hey Mom, that's you!" LOL! If only!!!!!!! :D

Hi Cheetahs!

Here's the pic DBF and I took at the gala last Sat. I guess I didn't feel like taking pictures because this is the only one I have of us.

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL626/2379980/21291718/349715550.jpg

Carole - Glad you're feeling better. Funny story about the Airborne. Don't think I liked Airborne the first time I tried it. Thanks for the link on Umcka. I see they have every form you could think of. LOL!! Hope you had a good UB workout. Don't blame you for saving your energy for the long run tomorrow. Hope it goes well. We had a good run this morning. Enjoy the playoffs!

Wendi - Glad the new schedule is working so well for you. Congratulations on the 8 pound loss and BF loss! Yippee!!

Christine - I'm so envious of your maid. I've been thinking I could have someone come in once a year and do a major cleaning. It's not so bad with just me being here but you know how that dust can accumulate. I love Rob Glick's Strength Training and I have some major bootay and leg DOMS. I wanted to get his workout in before I started on CLX. How was the hike. The new IS250 would have been a nice, nice treat. But, don't blame you for waiting out the economy. My budget is still on a diet.

Gloria - The RP may convince me to do another half. He's talking about running the Chicago half. We shall see. Training for your marathon will be hard but you can do it. I just need someone to motivate me enough to get out there and do it. Hope you had a good run!

Brighton - Good job on your tempo run. I try to keep my TM set on 2% incline but I don't have to worry about altitude like you. Glad you have a positive attitude for the New Year. Great job on getting that 10 miler in! Woo Hoo. How cute about DS saying that Cathe was you!

Laura - Glad you're feeling better too. My mom made a comment that I rarely have a cold. Somehow, someway, it caught up with me. :confused: Hope you feel well enough for that 8 miles tomorrow.

Cathy - The spinach smoothie doesn't look so bad. Bet the stawberries and nectar drown out the taste of the spinach. Did you see my post to Gloria about my RP wanting to run Chicago half? I told him he was pushing my limit. Talking about your marshmallowy coat makes me think about the Michelin man. :D Nice workout today.

Shelly - Busy makes the night go by faster. Good job with MM and the 8 mile run! Is there a bag workout on Rumble? Can't remember. I decided to get a stand for my boxing bag instead of hanging it from the ceiling. I didn't want to mess up my nice new ceilings. GodsCountry marathon does sound like a tough one. But, we all know you can handle it because you're a tough Cheetah! Enjoy your days off.

I ran a mile on my TM and then met RP for our run. We got in .2 mile and it started raining. We ran back to his house and decided to wait it out. I just didn't want to get wet today and he didn't either. We finally got back out and ended up doing 3.5 miles at about a 9:45 pace. We didn't want to get caught in the rain again. So, we called it a day. It was a good run. Legs felt really good and I had no problems breathing. Stuffiness is almost gone.

Have a good night!

Jackie: What a gorgeous picture!!! Looks like you had a wonderful time. :) Thanks for the 10-miler cheers! :D Yeah, that altitude can be a killer. Normally an incline doesn't do me in too bad... we have a lot of those outside, so I'm fairly used to it... but at a higher altitude... Yowza! :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.