**ONE DAY AT A TIME** Nov 21-27

jbonnell

Cathlete
Hey all! A new week is upon us. Here's hoping it's a healthy one.

I'm planning my week loosely around Cathe's LIS rotation for November, although I'll likely end up doing express versions of the DVDs given my wonky leg. My workout goals for the week:

M: After Burn + a walk of some kind
T: Swim for ~30 minutes + some yoga
W: Total Body Tri Sets Lower Body
R: Swim for ~30 minutes + some yoga
F: Cardio Supersets
S: Slide and Glide Cardio Express
S: Complete rest

I'll check in later!

Jennifer

I'll second that hope for a healthy week, Jennifer!
I did Slide 'n Glide yesterday & am feeling OK other than being a bit stiff. So, I will definitely try to work out again this evening. After a flare, I'm never sure whether to take it easy, or enjoy it to the fullest. Seems a bit of a toss up - I've tried it both ways... I think I'll play it by ear & see what DVD cover looks good to me when I get home...:D
Hugs to all! & keep up the good attitudes! This too shall pass.

Today was STS Ab Circuit: No Equipment Abs & Yoga Relax. After 3 hrs. of sleep that was all I could muster! Dogs also got their 1 hr. of exercise today :D:D as they went 3 days without due to cold weather!

Tue: STS Disc 5
Wed: Step maybe from LIS
Thu: STS Disc 6
Fri: Undecided
Sat: Yoga
Sun: STS Disc 7

Jane:Glad Slide & Glide went well!:D:D

Jennifer: Your goals for the week look great & I know you will accomplish them!! :D:D

Hey guys,

Jane - isn't Slide n' Glide fun?? :) Did you end up picking out a workout today after all?

Cathy, I'm sorry to hear about the lack of sleep, but I'd say ab circuits and yoga is plenty, especially if you also walked your dogs! I certainly wouldn't be up for that with so little rest.

I managed to do one of the express versions of Afterburn this evening after not being sure today if I'd manage. It was pretty awesome, and totally worth it! I love that style of workout - I had to modify a few of the moves, but kept moving, and did remarkably well with the push up drills. I've always been been strong, and have lots of upper body strength, but I've lost quite a bit of that over the past year. I finally feel like I'm getting back to my old self when it comes to push ups and the like, even if my legs don't work great all the time.

I didn't get out for a walk, but basically I'm just fitting those in whenever the weather is nice and I'm dying for fresh air.

Tomorrow it's back in the pool, which is good as I can do that even when my legs are crapped out. "See" you all tomorrow!

Jennifer

Hey ladies! I'm so glad it's a short work week - feels like Thursday already! ;)
Jennifer: Yes, Slide 'n Glide is fun. The first time I did it, I thought that it was going to be my least favorite. This time, I had a great time doing it. The first time I did Athletic Training, I thought it would be my favorite. The 2nd time I did it, it about killed me! LOL I'm so glad to hear that you were able to do the express premix of AfterBurn - way to go! I don't have good upper body strength, & have even less since being sidelined with tennis elbow. It will be a long climb back up, but climb it I will!
Cathy: Do you find ab work bothers your neck? I'm glad you were able to do that, Yoga Relax plus a long walk!
I was able to do Low Impact Challenge yesterday evening. Still no ill effects, so I'm planning another workout for this evening - either Cardio Supersets or Lower Body TriSets. I'll see what "moves" me when I get home from work. :p
I'm thankful you started this thread - it's so nice to have such warm understanding!

Hey all,

Jane - great to hear you managed your workout and have no ill effects. I hope this evening is as successful for you!

It was such a wonderful sunny day here today I went for a walk in the woods instead of swimming. I also made fruitcake with my cousin and aunt, and generally had a good day. I was a bit limpy towards the end of my walk, but loved it nonetheless. I LOVE this cold sunny weather. I have choir rehearsal tonight, so I'm not going to try to fit in anything else today.

Looking forward to tomorrow's workout already :)

Hi Ladies,
Today was STS Disc 5 & STS Extended Stretch!!:D

I have been a little hesitant to try Slide & Glide with the neck but you 2 are having so much fun I'll have to schedule it in maybe for Friday!!:D:D

Jennifer:Knew you could do it & glad you enjoyed Afterburn!:D:D

Jane: Sometimes the ab workouts do bother my neck!! It was worse 2 yrs. ago before I found my new chiropractor & it's slowly been getting better.The STS Abs seem to work better for me, I think, because of the variety!!:D:D

Our snow should be melting this week as we are having a "heat wave"!!!:D:D
No snowshoeing yet!:(:(

Everyone take care,
Cathy

Hi ladies, I was able to do Cardio Supersets + Step last evening. I was thrilled! I didn't have to pause for gasps like the first time I did it, so I was heartened by that. My hip seems to be doing fine, too! I'm very thankful. I'll be taking off for the holiday, so you may not "see" me until Monday.
Cathy: I hope you were able to get some better sleep last night.
Jennifer: How was the pool?
Do you guys celebrate 2 Thanksgivings, or just the Canadian one?
Hugs & happy thoughts! ;)

Hello Ladies,
Today was LIS Low Impact Challenge Premix: Challenge Extreme &
HC Stretch Max #3 Band Stretch! Went well:):)

Jane:So happy to hear your hip is doing better & your workout went well!:D:D
It's great you've been able to do Low Impact Challenge & Cardio Supersets + Step with no ill effects!! Way to go!!:D:D
Wishing you & your family a Happy & safe Thanksgiving & we'll "see" you Monday:D:D

Jennifer: A winter walk can be refreshing & relaxing!!:D I echo Jane's appreciation on you starting & maintaining this thread:D Thank you!!:D:D

Take care all,
Cathy

Hey Everyone - I forgot it was American Thanksgiving, so if I don't see you all around for the next few days, I'll know why! I'll keep checking in regardless, to help keep on track :)

I inadvertently went on a longish walk today (started out running an errand on foot and it ended up taking me further than I expected) and did yoga, so I didn't do Tri Sets lower body as a result.

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow perhaps. I meant to get back in the pool this week, but the extra effort of getting all my stuff together and going to the pool and getting cleaned up/dressed afterwards has proven too bothersome. Especially since I have Cathe DVDs at home and the weather has been lovely for walks. It's all good, though - as long as I'm doing something, laps can wait.

I'm really glad you all joined the thread too :) It is great to have support, and it gives me the little extra oomph to complete my workout goals.

Happy Thanksgiving!
J.

Hi everyone,
Due to pain, I've decided to the day off from a DVD! I have to keep some energy for a walk with my dogs:D STS Disc 6 tomorrow!

Jennifer: How have your choir rehersals been going this week?

Take care all:D
Cathy

Last edited:
Hey Cathy - choir has been good, and singing is pretty active, you're right :) Today we had an actual winter storm with a good 20-35cm of snow. So I did some shoveling and have more to do shortly. That'll likely be my main 'workout' today, but I might slip in something short this evening.

I feel the same way about this thread - it gives me motivation, but also is a great reminder that even the small things count and when battling issues like ours, small triumphs are important too :)

J.

Hi Jennifer,
How did you make out with the weather? According to the reports here you've had snow ( & rain?)! :(

I won't be doing any workouts today!
Because of the pain this week I thought I would explain how I'm doing this round of STS:D

I'm disregarding my 1RM & lifting what I can on STS days:D I do have to sub some of the push-ups with Bench Press & have to also sub other exercises!:D The other days I do cardio.:D

Jennifer & Jane: You're both strong & I know you'll both get it done:D:D

Take care & hugs to both,
Cathy

Last edited:
Hi Cathy - sounds like a good use of STS to me. Good plan on a rest day if the pain is acting up. I don't find the snow/wet bothers my symptoms, really. I have heat intolerance, so I get weird symptoms if I get too hot . In fact, I really enjoyed the two days of shoveling this week, as I just love being outside when it's cold and snowy :) I'm going to get myself a pair of snowshoes for Christmas I think!

I plan on starting STS in January, which gives me another month to work up some endurance and strength. I already feel better than I did since starting the low impact series. One other reason I'm waiting is we're currently finishing our basement, so by January the who squat rack etc will all be in place. I figure I don't mind working out in the spare room with lighter weights, but want the full super-cool home gym complete for STS :)

Yesterday I ended up doing another half hour of heavy shoveling thanks to the plow, so that counted as my workout, given I ran errands and had meetings yesterday as well. Today I'm going to do either cardio supersets or slide and glide cardio, and do a weights workout tomorrow I think (maybe tri sets total body or the slide and glide muscle endurance). I didn't quite manage my workout plan as laid out on Monday, but it's been a good week for activity, so I'm not complaining!

Managed to do Slide and Glide Cardio yesterday -really love that express workout! With the burpees and core work, I really feel it's a great all over conditioning routine. I also went out to a get together last night, and ran errands in the morning. Was feeling good!

Which brings me to this morning where my left leg is so shot (pain mostly) that I have to use my cane to hobble around the house. *sigh* It's a beautiful sunny day and I was hoping to go for a walk with a friend, but not sure even that is possible today. Maybe some non-standing yoga poses to stretch out. I have a birthday dinner to go to tonight, so I'm hoping my leg calms down enough by then for it to be less obvious how crippled up I am. It's a familiy thing and I don't want it to be about me and my health concerns, but they do worry.

Anyway, tomorrow is another week and here's hoping my leg sorts itself out and I can jump back on the wagon (even if it means just slowly walking around the block a couple times) tomorrow. I'll start the new thread in the morning :)

:DToday was STS Disc 7 & STS Extended Stretch!:D:D

Jennifer: I'm so sorry about your leg:(:( especially after being able to do Slide & Glide!:D

Take care & hugs,
Cathy

Last edited:
Hi Cathy - great news on the workout and the sleep! You must feel so much better with a decent night's rest. Last night I was so tired I was in bed by 9:30 so I had quite a long rest...hmmm, that may have been a signal something was amiss last night. The leg thing is a pain (literally and figuratively!), particularly after such a great workout! My neurologist is out of town this week, but my family doc is going to get in touch with him as soon as he's back to discuss what we should do about this recent flare up of problems.

As for the diet thing, I tried about 6 weeks of dairy and gluten free this summer and it made no difference at all to my symptoms. So I added back in the few things I cut out and it didn't aggravate anything either. I know a lot of people with auto-immune conditions tend to find those two food groups bad for inflammation. To date I haven't found anything to make my symptoms worse - of course I feel best overall if I don't eat much sugar, and keep my foods whole, etc. I've tried paleo/primal before and it's okay, but I'm not a huge meat eater, and love beans, so decided it isn't for me. I do a modified version of it with limited grains, moderate animal products, and include legumes. I don't actually eat much in the way of wheat (only sprouted grain bread), and the only milk I drink is in my daily cappuccino (homemade), so I didn't think that it would make much difference if I cut both of those things out...and I was right.

I guess I'm lucky that I don't have any food intolerance issues, but at the same time it would have been nice to take control of my symptoms by changing my diet a bit. Ah well - I'll just keep on trying to eat lots of veggies, and non processed foods :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.