**CHEETAHS**One Last Run in '08

LauraR

Cathlete
Hey, ladies. BBL for personals but wanted to start us off with another question.

Thanks SO MUCH for your help with the hydration question. I'm really so thrilled that I decided to check in with you all because you are a wealth of wonderful information.

So. . . here's my next question for this educated crowd. :D

I feel very knowledgeable about clean and healthy eating in general--in fact I've grown up knowing them. (Shelly, another benefit of having an RN for a Mom!) :)

But with that in mind, how do you all tweak a normal healthy diet to fuel yourselves for endurance training?

I saw Brighton post in OD that she includes a few more carbs. Any other diet tweaks you do to fuel yourselves when you train? I'm not just talking pre/post workout. I mean in general.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Good Morning Laura and all who follow. :)

Laura: I have never paid any particular attn to eating anything special or different while training for a race. As usual I tried to keep my diet clean and did not feel bad if I needed to up my cals in order to stay satisfied. I am a carb girl at heart so there was never a need to increase anything there. I eat bread every single day. :)

Gloria: So what weight work outs are you thinking of using? Do you have any faves? Wow, I can't believe you haven't gone out to buy that new iron yet. I could ship you mine. It's 5-6 years old but like new since I rarely use it. :p Good job on the runs. Sorry about the tight hammies. I hope you can get them stretched out.

Jackie: Yup, Joey is 100%! Thanks for asking. :) I gotta tell ya, Murphy's law is sooo taking over right now. I quit coaching shortly before CLX came out because I wasn't making any money. Had I know half of my customers wanted to purchase it I would have stuck around a little bit longer! LOL Oh well. It would have only been a temporary high and probably still would not have put me in the plus. I just have to laugh at the way things work. I can't wait to hear what you and the rest think of CLX.

I did several personals y'day after mostly everyone stopped posting so make sure if you aren't addressed in the personals above that you check out y'day's. :)

Today's work out plan is something for upper body and a run. I have a ton to do to get ready for my AC trip as well. Busy day!

BBL!

Hi Cheetah Friends :)

Wendy- Have a great trip to Ac and good luck! What is your favorite game ? I have a Wall Street Journal wine colum from last weekend that I will send you. It is about pleasing wines for 10$ or less. If you feel rested I would say do the run and keep it slow and flat.

Laura- I am not much help in the fueling category as I have not done a mid distance or longer race yet. But I would let my appetite be the guide. I tend not to worry about sodium much since my runs really cause me to sweat a decent amount.

Karen- You have chosen a beautiful reminder of your Mom for you family to cherish. Keeping memories of her fresh in your minds is oh so special and therapeutic.

Dallas- If you get here today, I just wanted to send you good vibes for 2009.

Gloria- Sorry about the tight hammies. Perhaps yoga will help.

Wendi- How are ya managing? is the new schedule still working for a workout?

Christine- So you chose CLX instead of STS? I really haven't looked at CLX closely. Is your Dad still visiting? I saw that you did CCPP last Saturday and forgot to mention it. Good going!

Carole- Enjoy the chili tonight. We have finally got almost all the leftovers out of the fridge. Now I need to restock with fresh food. New Years Day we traditionally have lentils for good luck. Both my Mom and MIL always served New years lentils. So I'll do a big pot of soup and maybe some BBQ lentils that some of my family members will prefer.

Jackie- Giving DD a choice between CLX and cash was very nice! I have enjoyed revisiting SS and PP this month too.

Today is an easy paced 2 miler and yoga class.

Happy New Year Cheetahs!

Last edited:
Good morning, cheetahs!!
th_happy-038.gif

How will everyone be ringing in the New Year?
th_Newyear_whimsical_015_01.gif

Judy—I think nothing works the core like the BOSU. Enjoy your run and yoga.

Wendy—I ordered the new Squeezes and one of the new Powerstrikes. I plan to do CLX first. I was thinking as I ordered it that it’s too bad you weren’t still a coach. Re: yesterday’s mileage question: I always think since our bodies don’t know when a week starts and ends, when that kind of situation arises, just go by how you feel. If you’re feeling strong and generally follow the 10% rule otherwise, then I don’t see how an easy run of a few miles will hurt you. Have a great time in AC!! Hope you strike it big.

Jackie—BB does not make ordering simple, do they? I have to laugh at all those windows to skip through. Glad the cold hasn’t worsened.

Gloria—shame about things falling apart for your friends. Waking up whenever and having so much room in the day to play with has been absolute HEAVEN! :D

Laura—I cut out alcohol in the latter half of marathon training. That’s the only major change I made to my general diet. Upped carbs the day or two before a long run. Cytomax, Sharkies, and/or a Power Bar during.

I took a rest day yesterday. Did not feel well. This afternoon and tonight my exercise will be skiing. YEAH!!! I don’t get much into NYE hype, but I’ve never gone night skiing before, so this should be a blast. I’m hoping conditions are good. It's always iff-y in the Poconos. I really live in the wrong state to be a skier! *lol*

But on a related note, some exceptionally good news is that my ski crew just booked a spring ski trip out West...WOO-HOO!!!!

As another year winds down, I raise my tea glass in toast to my cheetah pals: may 2009 bring bright days, good health & fortune, new opportunities, and many happy miles!

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...Your co-worker does sound like a funny guy. I love working with people like that. It just kinda makes your day! I imagine we will have a fairly mellow New Year. I have some Almond champagne for after dinner. Maybe a movie would be fun, I have been watching a lot of them as TV is crappy during the holidays. So I bet you were not surprised about them identifying Kaylee? Have fun skiing...
ski3.gif
So an upcoming ski trip out west? How cool...:)

Laura...I don't really tweak my diet much. I just eat a bit more of good stuff. before my long runs on sunday I do eat more carbs (pasta or pizza) the night before.

Wendy..Since you only ran 2x last week I don't think the 20 miles in 5 days will hurt you much...:)..Enjoy your upper body workout and run today.

Judy...the chili was great! I added some of the Quorn crumbles (they resemble ground beef). I am looking forward to the leftovers. I remember you saying that about the lentils and good luck last year. There is a tasty lentil soup recipe in The Vegan Planet I might have to revisit. Enjoy your 2 miles and yoga.

Christine...it felt good getting Zeke home, so he has a show?...:)..I am for sure going to take it easy with shoulder work, but it does feel better after the massage. Good workout yesterday, I have not done PP in a long time. Hope DD16 scored some nice buys at Best Buy.

Karen...what a sweet idea about the tree of life in your Mom's memory. I can imagine this is very tough on your Dad, besides the rest of you. I know it is hard to believe but time does heal some of the pain. Sending {{{HUGS}}} and thoughts your way.

Jackie...I am sure DH got his cold as he had been bad...:)...I am so hoping to avoid getting it too. So far, so good. I was glad to get Zeke home too, he was a cutie. I hope you can check out the massage place. I just love gettng them. Good job with the walking and SS.

Gloria...the black bean chili was spicy and tasty! Massages do wonders for you...L&G is fun and I had not done all of the standing in some time. Good job with the 6 miles. A foam roller is great for the hammies.

I am doing the original Bodymax upper and a 5 mile interval run.

Newyearfireworks2009b.gif

Gloria—No worries about the name mix-up. I actually have a teammate named Linda, and one of the school teachers here keeps calling me that. So I’m beginning to answer to it. LOL. :D

Shelly—Thank you so very much for your kind words yesterday. You really blessed me with your compliment about my empathy. I had all kinds of warm fuzzies. You know, the people part of things is actually why I ended up going into teaching. My own teachers had had such an impact on me that I wanted to be able to be a part of others’ lives in the same way.

Carole—I admire anyone who can do full cardio and legs on the same day!! Go girl! Thanks re: the running fuel input.

Christine—Thanks for the heads up on long mileage with the Camelbak. Did you find anything good at Best Buy?

Wendy—NO DUNKIN’ DONUTS in Uganda! :( Actually, we don’t have any American chains here. Anything that we have is South African. It’s funny you ask, because a few years back McDonald’s actually did a survey to check the viability of putting a franchise in Uganda. When we heard about it, a bunch of elementary school kids from our church wrote McD’s to say, “please, please, please” put one in. They got back a cute letter, but we didn’t get the McD’s. :( Not that I'm really a fan, but ANYTHING American would be nice. Cool that your friend is from Pakistan. And I love bread, too. (And potatoes!)

Jackie—Chicken Pasanda is a really creamy chicken curry made with boneless chicken. Delish. The temperatures here are about 70 in the morning when I’m running, but they get up to 90 during the day. And we’re on the equator, so the sun is fierce!

Judy—You’re right that lots of sweating probably takes care of sodium issues. In fact, I feel like I’m using more of it right now, and it occurs to me that I probably am. It’s the hot season here, and I’m sweating much more than usual. I try to watch my salt, but my body is probably needing more right now. Thanks for the tip.

Cathy—Thanks for the running fuel tips. I think Shelly likes Cytomax, too. I’ve never tried it. Have fun on your ski trip!

My workout today was SB/SJP the 60 min cardio premix of step/hi-lo circuit. It was tough but fun. Before running, it would’ve been only tough, without the fun! :D

See you all next year. I’m going to be a party pooper and skip our team’s party tonight. I’m kind of peopled out, and with all my early morning running, I just don’t feel like staying up till midnight! DH is going, and so I’ll have a quiet evening at home and go to bed early. Is that pitiful? (Please tell me ‘no.’)

Good Morning All!

Karen – I love your idea of the Seeds of Life Tree. I planted a tree and made a little spot in our back yard to sit and reflect upon her and it helped so much. It gave me an area to really grieve. I’ll continue to pray for you and your dad. Nice of you to adopt an older dog for him (and nice for the dog, too).

Wendy – Have fun in AC!!! I like the zoo, too. I don’t know about Santa Monica – I’ve heard a lot more disappointment than I have happiness in it. I rarely use Firepower. I use mainly Providence and Newport. So did you run? Yeah, not a fan of laundry myself. And it never ends! :eek:

Jackie – oh, great! I cannot wait to see the pics! Yes, dad left on Monday morning. I miss him. He’s such a nice guy. I’m planning on starting the New Year with a bike ride. I love that you are planning a run!

Gloria – I love weight work. Enjoy adding it in! DD didn’t go to Best Buy as she was in a mood. When she’s like that, I prefer not to take her anywhere. Teenagers. :rolleyes: I’m glad you got to see your friends.

Laura – I think most people here just add a few more healthy calories the day before and the day of a long run. DD didn’t go shopping – she was PMSing. :rolleyes:

Judy – yes, I picked CLX over STS. They are very different and for my body type and the training I am doing this year, I thought CLX was a better fit. We’ll see. I did order the STS Abs circuit. I’m excited to have something new to start, though. :D Dad left on Monday. I miss him! I enjoy CCPP. Kicks my butt every time! I’m enjoying PP – I’m amazed at the workout it gives me. It’s such a good back workout!

Cathy – HAVE FUN SKIING!!!! I like night skiing, although the snow, if the day is warm, can be icy. But you’ll have fun! And fun that you’re crew is skiing out west!! You’ll have so much fun! You need to move west – come teach at my DD’s school district and go skiing every weekend! ;)

Carole – I’m thinking of doing an odd mish mosh of BMax 1 Upper, B&G and Simply interval. We’ll see how that goes. :p I love PP, but it’s heavy in the shoulder work, so not good for right now. But PP x 2 or 3 is one of her tougher workouts, IMHO if you go heavier on the weights.

Today is a self created Circuit. I figure it out when I do it. :D Tonight is one last party, then I’ll step on the scale (I have not in 2 weeks – it’s been nice actually!). Tomorrow is D Day. :eek: I even lightened our traditional New Year meal from Prime Rib and a bunch of goodies, to fillet mignon, baked potatoes, asparagus and a salad. I’ll have a very small piece of steak. And speaking of dinners, I made quesadillas last night that were incredible!!! The recipe is here: http://www.theveggietable.com/recipes/blackbeanzucchiniquesadillas.html I did not measure anything, added cilantro and went light on the cheese. Very good!!! I made them in my Panini maker. I love that thing.

HAPPY NEW YEAR’S EVERYONE!!!! Here’s to a healthy, happy, fit and successful 2009!!!!

thumbnail.aspx

Carole—aww, I LOVE that little skier smiley guy!! Thanks! I wasn’t surprised that Caylee was dead, but I did wonder if her body would ever be recovered. It’s so very sad. Whenever I see the pictures of her adorable little face, I just don’t understand it… Hope you had a great run and u/b workout. Low-key NYE’s work for me, too.

Laura—*lol* about you now answering to the other woman’s name…Yes, Shelly is the one who introduced me to Cytomax. Seems like different sports drinks work better for some than others. After experimenting, I found it is the one I liked best, too. A quiet NYE at home does not sound at all pitiful to me. I seem to prefer that, too, in recent years, and then I'm lucky to make it to midnight! :D What is your team's party?

Christine—thank you—I have been warned about the ice. Website says they should be able to blow some snow up there tonight. We’ll see. Tomorrow is D-Day on the scale for me, too. :confused: :p Will check out the quesadilla recipe tomorrow. I love Mexican and especially cilantro! Glad that panini maker is already getting good use.

Big hugs to Karen. Know your mother’s service is today. Thoughts & prayers continue to come your way.

OK, I have to get my butt in gear here, dry my hair, and then we’re on the road. Enjoy tonight, whether you are snug at home with loved ones or rockin’ out!!!

Good morning Cheetahs! Only 13 hours and 40 minutes to go until 2009! Can you believe it? :eek:

Wendy - LOL at your hate doing laundry comment! :D Hey, if it makes you feel better, I hate doing housework. :confused: Good Joey is all well again. I still think you did the best think by dropping the BB coach. After the hype about CLX is all over, you'd be back to making purchases yourself. Can't win for losing. Hope you have a safe and fun trip to AC!

Gloria - Good job on the runs! A few good weight workouts will be good for strengthening those legs. Hope the ride home wasn't too bad for your friends.

Laura - Like your title this morning. But, I sure hate I won't be getting in one last run for 2008. I think I beat my mileage for last year but am not sure. It was really close. I don't usually change my diet when I'm running. It does make me a hungrier. On longer runs, I will eat a little something before going out. The Chicken Pasadena sounds delicious. Oh, yeah, don't blame you for wanting to beat the sun. That's what I try to do during the summer months. I have to get up with the roosters to do it though. Enjoy your quiet evening at home. I'm right there with you.

Judy - We didn't have many leftovers this year. We didn't prepare as much as we normally do. Didn't have to worry about find space in the fridge. Enjoy your 2 miles and yoga.

Cathy - I will probably be asleep when the New Year rolls in. I have a hard time staying awake. Yeah, BB is always trying to interest you in something else when all you want to do is place your order and get out of there. Thought I'd call and complain about the double order. CS gave me an authorization # to return the extra one at my expense. Ha! Good thing DD decided she wanted it or I really would have complained harder. Glad you're feeling better. Have fun skiing. Yay for the spring ski trip too. You're good to go!

Carole - Your New Year plans look pretty good to me. At least, if you have too much champagne, you don't have far to drive. ;) I'm trying to regift my cold but no one seems to want it. :D Enjoy BM and your 5 mile run!

Christine - Glad you enjoyed your time with your dad. I'm sure he enjoyed it too. Does Jimmy go through the house looking for him after he's gone. My DB Jack Russell does that when his son and DIL leaves. I sure hope I can get a run in tomorrow. I don't feel bad but the nose is still stuffy and I need to be able to breathe. My nose hurts some too. I'm beginning to think I'm having sinus problems. :mad: Sounds like you had a fun circuit planned. Enjoy your party tonight. Meals sound good too.

Today's workout was SJP Step & Weight Circuit. Kept the intensity low and the weights light.

I'm wishing each of you a blessed New Year filled with prosperity, peace and joy. Thanks for being such wonderful friends!

Hey Peeps!

No time for personals. Just a quickie to say that I got in a 3 miler this morning. Just got back from the gym as a matter of fact. I didn't truly have time for the full 4.5 but would have attempted it had I not been suffering from some very painful chaffing under my arms during the run. There was no way I could keep going like that. I'm lucky I made it to the 3 mile mark. OUCH! :( And that upper body work out I was supposed to do? Um, not happening. I had a feeling when I was too lazy to do it in the pre-dawn hours that it wasn't gonna happen. Oh well...life goes on!

Well off to the showers, to finish packing and drop the dog off at the kennel and then...WE.ARE.OUTTA.HERE!!!! :D:D:D:D

Have a happy and healthy new year everyone!

See you in 2009!

Love and hugs to all!
Ciao!:)

I got on here to see how everyone was doing and to wish you all a Happy New Year. Thanks to all of you for the continued support over the past few months. Today no doubt will be hard. I'm actually getting ready now. I think when I come home tonight I will throw away every stitch of clothing I have on. I can't have this clothing hanging in my closet reminding me of today. Beside I need to lose some weight now so hopefully this outfit will never fit again.:D I hope you all have a wonderful New Year. I plan too!!!! I need to decompress after tomorrow and get back my life over the next two weeks. I'm thinking positive for now. Get me in a few hours and I'm sure I will be sobbing. Have a wonderful safe New Year.

Cathy – Have a blast tonight!!! We’ll commiserate over the number on the scale tomorrow and form a good game plan!

Jackie – Jimmy is used to people coming and going, so he doesn’t wonder through the house, but he does check the rooms to see who is around. I hope you can get in your run! Sounds like a good workout you have planned today!

Wendy – Have fun in AC!

Karen – You are in my thoughts today. I hope you get to decompress and to move forward. The grief will hit at the weirdest times, but it will lessen. {{{HUGS}}}

I ended up totally changing things – of course. Why should today be any different? :eek: I did P90X + Abs and Core, followed by P90X Legs and Back. I subbed push ups for the last 4 pull ups to get a more well rounded workout. Just what I needed today! Now it’s off to get nails done, and hit the grocery store.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.