<---***STS 6 Month Alumni***---> Week of June 27

Just sitting here having my coffee and deciding what to do today. Based on my arm issue no upper body weights but thinking about doing Butts and Guts! I love all the cardio I did last week! I looked back over my journal and I did 3 spins, Imax 3 and Cardio Fusion! No wonder I felt so great last week - the endorphins were flying! LOL!

Oh, and finally woke up without a headache!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Yay Jo, on waking up without a headache! THat is nice! But I'm sorry you are having arm issues now! I have done my own share of tweaking my shoulder/back area with moves that my body didn't agree with! I would have thought some antinflammatories would have helped! Do you think it's a kind of cramp? Sometimes when I get a knot somewhere I take a little extra potassium for a few days and it helps. Does ice or heat sound any good for the pain? I'm sure Kim will have a better idea of what is going on!

We do have stairs in our house and I'm not sure if we should be concerned or not. Dd had her eyes open and found her way over to my room without bumping into anything even though she must have been asleep, so I'm guessing if she went to the stairs, she would handle it ok, but it's a tough one. I am going to ask our pediatrician about it and see if she has had any experience with that....:rolleyes:

I remembered yesterday that I have two ballet workouts that I haven't done for years and suddenly it occurred to me that they must be very similar to pilates, so I pulled them out and did one today and enjoyed it a lot! I'm gonna try to do the other one very soon! I love the grace of the dance moves, makes me feel elegant...:rolleyes:

Well, I better go finalize my choices on skits and songs, I found lots but it's hard to choose...

I did Butts and Guts! Oooohhh that felt good! Like visiting an old friend. That is one of my very favorite workouts!

Cendrine, no I've definitely done some kind of damage to my arm. I've been icing and am going to wear a compression band (I used an ace bandage during my workout) and that actually felt good. So normal movements: bicep curl, lateral raise, etc. feel okay. But if I have my arm rotated out at the elbow, it hurts like " h e double hockey sticks!" Or I can't put my hand behind my back like I'm going to scratch my back. Mucho oucho! LOL! The ballet workouts sound fun! Yes, I can see you doing those nice fluid movements! Graceful! :) I think you'll make a great camp director organizing those tiger activities! LOL!

Off to the shower!

Happy Sunday Guys!

Sorry for the super late checkin! After being at the pool from 2pm to 9pm last night...well I did not get anything done here so I had to make up for it today. SO this morning it was the grocery store and then at lunch we went to town and ate Carl' Jr:eek:(I have not ever eaten there and probably won't again) It was good but I feel like I have a rock in my belly.LOL
After that it was Sam's to stock up and now I am trying to figure out what to do about dinner. I am not hungry at the moment so that makes it tough plus I was going to do hamburgers and turkey burgers but I do not think dh is gonna go for burgers again. I am so scatter brained here lately when it comes to my meal planning. I do wish I could get more organized on that!
Do you have a method, Cendrine, or do you just think about what you would like to have that week and go that way?

I have not really settled in on a rotation for the month but I am going to try a week of fitness freaks leg blast/sts gs rotation. So tomorrow starts with disc 13 of sts. I am going to try the first week and if I like it I might just go ahead with it for the rest of the month.

Kim-The only pain I feel , unless I am rubbing around my elbow, is when I am pulling something. If I am gripping my carpet knife and pulling it toward me, I feel pain in the the action of it but not when I quit doing the cutting. But if I am rubbing the pain is between the pointy bone at the back of my elbow and the inner bone on the side. It really has gotten milder this week so I am thinking a combination of lifting and my work exacerbates it. That is why I am thinking it is a use thing but I do not know how to combat it.

Jo-It is strange that you had such good cardio with your headaches. Maybe they are connected to your super power!:p;):D
The arm tweak stinks! It is crazy how we lift all these weights and do all these really tough moves and then something like that happens from lifting your purse the wrong way.ugghh! It is really frustrating!
I am so not a fan of Tony Horton either and if I had to do P90 and nothing else, I would probably not workout at all..lol DH never did get into it either...He is still a gym rat at heart.haha Plus I think all the Cathe pics and other inspiring women on the wall are not as motivating for him.:rolleyes:I really need to redo that room but for now it suits its purpose for me.

Cendrine-I can not wait to here about the tiger campout! I think you are going to be great at it too...That I agree with Jo on! You are so good at getting stuff organized when it comes to things like that. When is dd's party with all the things yall collected at the lake? You are super creative so it should be fun to hear about what yall come up with for that and the skits.
I think if I had to pick someone on Cathe's workouts that I am most like, it would be Brenda. I am not too fluid of a mover so I would make ballet look more like comedy skit than the real thing..lol I am glad you have got a lot of fun variety though!

Well I better go get the chicken on the grill for my lunches next week. I don't know it I told you but the brine for the boneless chicken breast really seems to work. Just 2 T kosher salt to 4 cups of water (dissolve) let them soak for 2 to 4 hrs then rinse and do what you are going to do to them. I guess I need to try dry rub...That will be the ultimate test!

TTYL
Rachel

Rachel, I'm pretty sure it's a good thing I don't have mirrors when I do the ballet workout, because I'm suspecting that feeling graceful and actually looking graceful are two different things for me too....LOL!

As far as menuplanning goes, I don't have a strict method, some weeks I just look at what activities we have going, depending on that I need quick or not so quick meals, or maybe we have a potluck at someone's house or something like that and then I also sometimes just go through a recipe book or magazine and grab what jumps out at me. When I'm in a complete rut I try to do a fish day, a chicken day, a legume day, a salad day, a soup day and so on. I have the system of sitting down and planning, but the planning format continually changes... I would get too bored it I stuck with one system too long....

Sounds like you had fun at the pool! I hope you didn't get sunburned! I always need to be really careful when I'm out that long, which I will be all next week, so the sunscreen is definitely coming along! I haven't had a Carl's junior in probably 10 years....LOL! I usually just get a grilled chicken or a salad at fast food places like that. What did you get?

Rachael, I'm thinking that your injuries sounds like golfer's elbow or it's technical term, medial epicondylitis. It is a tendonitis of the tendons that attach to the bony bump of the elbow and can be very tender along the bump. The pain can also extend along the inner side of the forearm. It's an overuse injury from forceful wrist and finger movements. I'm not surprised with the type of work you do that you have a overuse injury. I would think that the first thing to try is REST!!!, along with icing for 15 minutes 4 times/day. Can you ice on your lunch hours? Massage the area a few times a day, some over the counter anti-inflammatories like Advil/Aleve and you could also try tensoring the area or buying a elbow strap to wear at work.

Jo, that spot that you describe is an unusual spot. I'm wondering if you've inflamed the insertion of the lateral head of the tricep where it attaches to the humerus?? You only seem to feel it at the extreme end of movements. The anti inflammatories are probably masking some symptoms. I would think the same treatment as Rachael; rest and ice mainly.

Jo I do have P90X and P90X+. I did one full 90 day rotation but can't see ever doing another one. I can't imagine doing another full rotation of Insanity or Chalean Extreme (another Beachbody product that I did last fall). They are all good products but very few workouts that you use so many times that by the time of one rotation, you're tired of the workouts.
WTG on such a great spinning workout! Did you get a new bike??

Cendrien That's funny about your dd sleepwalking. It would make me nervous though. The ballet workouts sound like fun as long as noone was watching me:eek:

We went out to dinner with some friends last night. Always fun! Today I got up and read a book for a couple of hours, then did my Insanity (DH joined me) Only 17 workouts to go! The handyman that came a few weeks ago showed up unannounced about noon which was fine they finished about 4pm and everything is done and looks good. Made some banana bread and now going to relax this evening.

Well the weekend is almost over but I am very glad to have had two days!
I think I needed every minute today just to get things done around here!
Now I am just waiting for True Blood to come on:eek:...I know this is a bad,bad show that no one with kids should even turn on in their house. I am embarrassed to say I am hooked on it!:eek:

Cendrine-I can not take the sun either. That is why I totally lube up with sunscreen and then I have an under armor shirt that I cut the sleeves off of that I wear over my top. All my friends think I am crazy but I am so fair. I was burned enough when I was younger when I thought it was as good as tan. As far as my complexion it was about as close as I was ever gonna get anyway! LOL
As far as Carl's Jr goes...Well I did not do well at all. I am not one to ever eat anything from a fast food place and when I do I always go for the chicken or salad so I for the life of me don't know why I ordered the grilled cheese burger and then I topped it off with the zucchini fries. I never order like that so I guess it will be alright but I have been tasting that burger all day and that is not a good thing...so I am pretty sure the memory will stay with me long enough that it will not happen again!

Kim-I know rest is the #1 thing that needs to happen. Unfortunately that is not possible with work but I am going to try out this week of rotation and if it starts flaring up I am going to switch to another rotation that I found that only has one upper body workout a week. It is another one of the leg blast rotations...I am thinking that is what is going to have to happen.
It sounds like other than the repairman coming, that you had a pretty relaxing day. It is nice to have that.
I know what you mean about repeating the same workouts over and over. I am not one to do that either. It is a total burnout. I am glad there is some much variety with Cathe but I am wishing that I still had room for my treadmill so that I could do some running again. I did not know about cc when I had it before so I think it would make a big difference with that.

Jo-I know you are probably having a great day! Did you decide on the community garden?

Well we did lots of running around again today not really doing anything. Grocery store, errands, etc. Then came home and I made us my Chicken sausage (sausage with spinach and sun dried tomatoes) with great northerns, tomatoes with jalapenos, red peppers, onion, garlic and spinach dish. It's half-way between a side dish a soup. Then cut up a fresh pineapple (good anti-inflammatory!) and had that as a dessert.

Rachel...Carl Jr's cheese burger?! LOL! My gosh I haven't been there in YEARS! We don't have them here but I've had them down Cendrine's way! But how were the zucchini fries? That sounds good! ;) I know isn't that bizarre about my cardio and headaches? So now that my arm is tweaked, I'm just going to focus on cardio for a couple of weeks. I need this to get better and I don't want to aggrevate it. I hope yours gets better fast!! You need recovery quick with the work you do. Also, like Kim mentioned, you might go look at the wraps they have at the drugstore. There's wraps for tennis elbow and knee problems, etc. That might help you while working if you have it somewhat protected. Oh and we looked at another CSA just for fun but it's too far away to make it worthwhile. But it was definitely bigger and had way more vegetables! We're undecided if we want to do it this year as it actually started in April so we'd be coming in at almost the middle of the growing season. (I guess that doesn't really matter.)

Cendrine, again I hope you have a fun week! I think it'll be both tiring and exhilarating! We already know the kids will have a great time with you! Be careful with your back! I don't want you to lose any gains you've made in healing!

Kim, thank you for your input on the arm issue. I'm going to totally lay off the weights this week. Another week of cardio actually sounds kind of good! (I always have loved cardio!) Good the handyman finished. So what are you reading? Anything noteworthy? Oh yeah I remember you doing Chalean last fall. You know beachbody has put out some good products but they certainly are not ones you want to reach for time and time again. They just don't have the staying power Cathe's do. But I know alot of people think they're awesome. To each their own!

I'm off to bed to read. I just downloaded a new book to my Kindle but I forgot the title! It's the sequel the to Pillars of the Earth if you're familiar with that.

Last edited:
Tomorrow, depending on how sore my butt-o-la is...I think I may pull out an oldie but goodie...Mega Step Blast! :D:cool::p

Good Monday! <---OK :rolleyes: LOL

Well after this mornings workout, I think I might be rethinking my next upper body which would be a back and bi workout from meso 2. I definitely think the pulling is just going to make matters worse. I did not have real pain today just a sore sort of feeling but I could tell anytime I had to semi curl the bar for any reason that there could possibly be an issue there. Now I have to figure out how to keep my arms toned up while I take this time to heal it up! Any suggestions?

Darn, I am already out of time...Better run.

BBLT
Rachel

Good Monday Morning! I did Mega Step Blast today! OH MY GOSH! That is a tough workout! Rachel and Cendrine, I assume you guys don't have that one. It's only on VHS, very athletic and the 3rd combo section is the "Bun Blaster." Well I got a great workout!

Rachel, since you have to use your arm at work, I would take a couple weeks off of upper body work (like I'm doing :(). You're not going to lose any muscle tone in a short amount of time. If you don't give that arm enough time to heal, it's going to take longer and probably limit you more on what you can do. Just focus on cardio and your legs for a couple weeks. Then when you resume, your body will adapt quickly as your muscle memory kicks in! I know you don't want to do that but it won't be as bad as you think! Then you can engage your upper body again and probably be amazed at how well you've maintained! You lose cardio endurance faster than you lose muscle tone. I believe you begin to lose cardio after about 3 weeks of inactivity but muscle is much longer. Also, since you have a physical job you'll maintain. It's not like you're suddenly sitting on the couch! And it also depends on your diet of which you don't eat bad except that Carl Jr yesterday! :p;)

Off to the shower!

Insanity workout done only 16 to go:rolleyes: DH is off for a run, dd is at the schoolyard playing basketball and my athlete of the year is playing with her Barbies in front of the tv.;)

Nothing too exciting here. It was the last full day of school, they have 2hrs on Wednesday morning just to say goodbye, clean up etc. DS brought home an almost perfect report card:D:D DD's teacher who is very disorganized didn't have them ready and so she'll get her's on Wednesday. SHe doesn't get as good as marks as ds, she is much more distractable and less interested in things but I was curious to see what her mark would be in gym class as in the past she hasn't done well.

Jo I'm re reading all the Sue Grafton books in order. Last night I finished the "P is for Pursuit" and the I almost read another whole book, stayed up way too late. I forget the name but it's by the same author as "the Devil Wore Prada" about a group of young girls in New York City. I'll finish it tonight.

Good evening guys!
Whew We worked a long one!
It is about to storm here to so I have to be quick again! Satellite internet you know!

Kim-It will be interesting to see how your dd did esp. since she got that award. Surely her marks are going to be better this time.
I did ice today and I am not 100% but I think it is helping. SO I am going to keep on. I appreciate the assist in the diagnoses. I have not had time yet but I am going to look that up so I can read more about it.
You are kicking butt on the Insanity!!! WTG

Jo-I know in my heart of hearts yall are all right and I am glad you are giving the stern warning I need. I am going to do as you say! I think I can get a good upper body workout with kickboxing so I am going to take it easy for the rest of the week and probably next week. Since I had a recovery week last week that will be about 3 weeks. Then I will go from there. I had a trainer once that always told every one to rest their injuries and he never heeded his own advice and he paid for it with major surgery. I don't want that. SO you and I can rest our bum arms together! LOL
Oh and the Carl's Jr. just came to the town by us...That definitely won't be happening anytime soon again. Dh loves the place though...He can eat anything and you would never notice.

Cendrine, hope you are having a productive and not too crazy day!

Better go. Here comes the rain

TTYT
Rachel

Late check in as you all know because I was out with the tigers all day....LOL! Turns out the kids that got assigned to me in addition to the 3 I know are all really good kids and were pretty cooperative. Man was it cold though! The sun didn't come out until 3 and I had packed myself a smoothie for lunch! It wasn't even defrosted yet by lunchtime....:rolleyes: So I lived on apple slices and carrots and a muffin until dinner. I did ok though. I feel a lot more relaxed now that I know what to expect and it so helps to know all the kids and their names!
Dd had fun at her siblings camp. Tomorrow a friend of ours is going to take her to Disney land for the day so she will be taken care of having lots of fun.

Rachel, I second and third what Kim and Jo have already said, rest, rest, rest, it is the wise thing to do and you will be glad in the end that you did. The whole two months I was not lifting at all over christmas time didn't do much damage. I lost a little bit of strenght but the muscle tone is really slow to go. Even now that I am just doing pilates my arms still look satisfactory, no jiggle or any of that. Don't worry about your arms, in the long run, you won't be resting long and you have the rest of your life to lift again, when put in perspective like that it makes it much easier to take it easier. I've had to tell myself that now that I am on this different, modified workout routine, and it is really ok. I hope you heal quickly. I certainly understand the antsyness of wanting to do something before two weeks are up....

Jo, you don't seem to need any encouragement, you are doing what you know is good for your back/arm, thank you for being such a good rolemodel! Your dinner sounds delish! I'm going to have to make it one of these days! Thanks for you well wishes about my back while at the day camp, I can use them, I was on my feet the whole day and my back certainly felt it. I did some stretching and such when I came home, hoping I will feel well again after a good night's rest and then I just have to figure out how to sit more tomorrow.

Kim, I love the pic of your athlete of the year playing with barbies in front of the TV! And congrats on DS' report card! He must be very pleased as I know you and dh must be, and proud, too! I wonder if dd will show more intereste and less distractability with regards to report card marks when she gets older. I know that I didn't care about grades until I was probably in 6th grade.

Kim, you're totally cracking me up counting down the Insanity workouts! LOL! :D That's great about DS grades! Hope your little athlete does well also! Ahh, I remember now you had mentioned about reading the Sue Grafton books. I'm did put them on my list to revisit one of these days.

Rachel, it's a "Call to Arms" for us! Or more likely "Call to NO Arms" LOL! Yes, since we couldn't get on the same rotation schedule, unfortunately, injury has done it for us! :p Remember the good thing...it's not like we can't workout at all! Hope you're having a nice summer storm!

Cendrine, ooh, sounds like a fun day! Cold huh? Well hope it's better tomorrow. Glad everyone is having fun and DD enjoyed herself too. So what did you figure out about the skit? Do you know what you're doing? Glad you're back is "so far so good!"

This afternoon I met with the gal that I met last week who wants to workout with me. She has some short-term and long-term goals. So for the next four weeks, because of her vacation schedule, etc., she's going to come spin with us, try resort night, etc. and focus on building her cardio and stamina. Then I'll help her with a program after that. Though I don't know her well enough to know if she's committed; she seems to be but spent alot of time telling me how she doesn't have time to exerise. But, she is ready to dive into it and is going to come spin with us tomorrow night. Stay tuned...

Oh the saga begins , Jo..LOL I can't to follow what happens with the new gal!

This morning I did KPC...Just had time for the kicking and punching combos. I wore one # weights on my wrist and boy did that get tiring. I did not think it would make that much of a difference but I was wrong!..I think this will be a great way to keep up my shoulders and arms. I did not have any strain except for how tough it was..lol

I haven't got much time but I wanted to say thankyou to all of yall for reminding me how important it is to listen to my body. Sometimes I am a little hard headed and of course I get that fear that if I stop something, I won't go back:rolleyes: By now I should know better.

I better go finish my lunch!
TTYL
Rachel

Good Day My Friends!

Not much to report...YET! :p Got up, feel good, weather still sucks, but tonight will be a GREAT spin! Looking foward to it!

Rachel, sounds like you had a great workout!

Hello Kim and Cendrine!

I was up half the night with the weirdest stomach cramps, I'm guessing it's something I ate that was too acidic... I felt it all day today and still feel it tonight. I'm taking pepto to hopefully calm the stomach lining to get some good rest tonight, I tossed and turned and got up so many times I finally gave up at 4 and got up and read.... Well, I held up ok at camp, was able to be patient with the kids and took every opportunity I could to sit down and my back is thanking me now. But I am thinking of hitting the sack early today!
I still don't known what skit we are going to do, but a couple of other parent volunteers are helping me make a choice so we can get started with practices tomorrow. The kids got to make little first aid kits, a sculpture, and a boat, plus got to shoot arrows in archery and play badmington and marble games and such. I snuck one in at archery when all the boys were done. Good news is I hit the target, but no bullseyes...LOL!

Can't wait to hear how the training goes for your new friend, Jo!
Rachel, I'm so glad you had a good kickbox workout!
Kim, I'm with Jo, I laugh everytime you give the new count of insanity countdown!

I just realized Friday is a late start at camp because we go through 7 pm so I'll have time to fit in a workout Friday morning! YAY!

Oh Cendrine! Ugghhh! You didn't need stomach issues and no sleep! Hope you're okay tonight! Glad you can get a workout in Friday! That will make you happy...unless you're worn out! LOL!

Tonight was fun. New GF made it through 35 minutes of spin (at very easy pace) and then went out (I told her to just go on out and get on the recumbent it if was too much). Turns out she has knee issues. She hasn't worked out in a long time. Then she went out and at 6:00 went to yoga. So while she was at yoga I did 3 miles on the TM (fast walking not running) (I still can't do yoga because of my heel). My other two spinners both got stuck at work so it was just me and new GF. So she's not ready for spinning but very excited about the yoga. So on resort night she's going to go to yoga and then meet us at water aerobics. She had a great time! So she's planning to join.

Bottom-line, I got my hour of spinning in plus 3 miles on the TM! I was cardio queen tonight! :D

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.