***Kettlebell Check In * Tuesday***

deanie

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Wow I can't believe this is the last day of school for my kids!! The year has gone so fast, and when the day is over, I will have an 8th grader and a 4th grader!!!:eek::eek:

Today I did Firepower. I wanted to use my double 25#kbs in a workout and I really enjoyed it!

Firepower:
general alarm: 20 min. no rests
5 minute snatch test

Round 1:
TGU: 25# completed all 4

Round 2:
alt. clean & press: 25#
double row: 25#

Round 3:
super burpee
figure 8 to a hold: 25#
super plank

Round 4:
alt. double clean: 12#db/ 15 seconds 20#kb (this is so hard by this round!!)
suitcase deadlift: 45#kb
alt. chest press: 25#
russian twist: 25#

Round 5:
hi-pull/ snatch: 25#
seesaw press: 25#
figure 8/lunge: 25#
renegade row: 25#
squat/triple crush: 25#

5 minute snatch test: 25#

Comments:
felt really strong doing this dvd with the two 25#kbs!! :D:D
kept up with Anthony on everything but the alternate double clean

Rhonda::: Your KM class sound kicka$$!! I am off to google "big green egg"!!:)

Gayle::: I hope you are feeling better today

Jane::: Did you end up working out or resting yesterday?

Marcy::: Missed ya yesterday!!

Missy::: starting to put my SIM/resolution workout together! you are right about SIM not being boring, I was considering doing SIM again today. I like how short and complete it is.

waves to Andilynn and idream!!

Have a rockin' day!!:cool:
BBL

Hi again!!

Okay gals, you know I am going to start SIM and Resolution after my vacation next week. I am still trying to workout a rotation using them. SIM is metabolic, Resolution is heavy weight. They are good complements to each other. SIM is a 6 month (but not continuously) program. In the workbook it is suggested to do one month of SIM 4X a week then a month off using AOS other workouts (dvds or downloads) then back to SIM. It is also suggested to use SIM and Resolution, either alternating weeks or again SIM 4X a week for a month and Resolution 1-2 weeks inbetween. I would like to use SIM and resolution either weekly or alternating every 2 weeks, alternating between the two. I know it is harder not knowing the exact workouts but what do you think of the following rotation? I would do it for 2 or 3 months (depending on boredom factor) taking a month off to do more crossfit workouts and AOS dvd/downloads.

the alternate workout was suggested on the AOS forum. My only issue with that is resolution III isn't used and resolution II and III are working with deadlifts, which I really like doing.

resolution I: c&p and swings
resolution II: c&p, deadlifts and pullups
resolution III: deadlifts, press and swings

SIM:
M; SIM
T: SIM
W: Firepower and Deadlifts (strength day)
Th: SIM
F: SIM
Sat: Manmakers 2X (from ES dvd)/ Deadlifts/pull-ups (strength day)
S: off

Resolution **
M: resolution 1
T: Diva
W: resolution 2
T: Crossfit
F: Crossfit or ropes/jumprope/box jumps
S: resolution 3
S: off

May want to only workout 5 days a week during resolution

Alternate SIM/Resolution workout:
Monday: resolution I (with 10-15 pullups at the end)
Tuesday: SIM
Wednesday: resolution I (with 10-15 pullups at the end)
Thursday: SIM or DIVA
Friday: crossfit or ropes/jumprope/box jumps
Saturday: resolution II
Sunday: OFF

any and all comments are welcome!!:confused::confused:
[FONT=&quot]thanks!!!
[/FONT]

Today is a rest day for me, but I still walked the dogs about 3 miles.

Deanie, I can't believe that you are doing doubles with 25# - insane! Great job! Now that everyone is on summer break what plans do you have?
What is Resolutions, I mean where do you get/ find it? I am assuming it's an AOS w/o, right? I like your rotation, the only thing is that on SIM weeks it may be a good idea to add extra cardio and legs. It just didn't seem like enough for me, but I LOVE that circuit boy oh boy! :D

Farmer, I looked up the green egg - what is the difference between that and a regular grill? For "assisted" pull-ups I really just cheat - I get a short stool and put some weight on my toes only while I lift. Not sure if it's officially considered assisted, but it assists me. :p

Marcy, missed you y'day - how are you?

Gayle, are you feeling any better today? I sure hope so - I hate "fog" days.

Jane, how was the rest/swim y'day?

*waves hello to everyone else!!!

Missy

Hi everyone!

I feel a lot better today. If the weather holds out, I plan to do the sandbag workout posted at CF 603 today. http://www.crossfit603.com/2009/06/sand-is-heavy/

Rhonda - Your class sounds intense and fun! I wish we had something like it around here.

Deanie - WTG on the double KBs! I think your rotations look good. I like the idea of alternating SIM and Resolution weekly or bi-weekly...but that's my exercise ADD talkin'. ;)

Missy - I use the short stool/chair assist for dips. I think it's legit. :)

Waves hello to Jane, Marcy and Andilynn. :)

Good Afternoon!

Okay, only the second day off for me and already I am on the computer too much!!:p

Missy::: Enjoy your rest day! I was thinking since SIM was metabolic to cut back on extra cardio....? Resolution is an AOS downloadable workout. It is simple with only a few exercises, but it looks tough!! You try to do up to 10 sets in the time allowed (30 minutes). There are some good videos and MOS's on the AOS website on it. I am really excited to start!!

Gayle::: I saw that workout this morning, looks good. Enjoy!! Yes, I am thinking of doing SIM bi- weekly to start....

Rhonda::: Looked up the Green Egg. That grill looks awesome!!!

waves to everyone else!!!

Missy::: Enjoy your rest day! I was thinking since SIM was metabolic to cut back on extra cardio....?

I guess it depends on how much cardio you like: I flew through the workouts, I don't know what your total time was, but I usually finished the entire thing in close to 20 minutes so I would tack on part of a WOD or tabata or some short cardio... I could be called a cardio junkie, though. :D

I am struggling. I babysitting my friend's kids, and though I love her... you know where this is going I think. Their youngest is the only boy in the family and is the youngest - on both sides of their families - and he is driving me crazy. My youngest son worships this kid, but he is so mean to DS. I just put a 7 year old in time out for telling DS to "shutup"... that seems wrong, doesn't it, especially when all I want to do is tell him to shutup and yell "I don't want to hear you speak anymore, zip it!". Any advice, suggestions? I talked to DH, but he just laughed and said "I am so happy that I get to go to work!!!" Ugh! :eek: He blames things on everyone else, when I talk to him he interrupts with "better" ideas, he wants me to wait on him hand and foot, he doesn't like anything I cook, he doesn't like anything the kids like or want to do, his way is the only way.... I have only had him since last night and all I can think is "why did I agree to this?" I LOVE kids; DH and I always have kids at our house, we are always with kids at church, play with them at the park and pool, but I am having a really hard time with even being able to tolerate him. Really hard time. My friend is even aware of his attitude and calls him a brat herself, which I have never said but I am thinking it right now... Any advice on how to deal with this? Thank you.

Missy

Missy::: Regarding SIM, I posted a question on the AOS forum about how best to use it (I don't use my real name). This is the question:

I am getting ready to do SIM and Resolution. I was thinking of using SIM 4 days a week for 2 weeks and then switching to Resolution for 2 weeks. I figured I would alternate the 2 for about 3 months, then take a break for a month, then start back up.

I have a lot of questions though, and I need some help... I have searched on this site and found a lot of great info, but I haven't seen these questions asked:

SIM:
*do I start with a heavy weight (challenging) or lighter weight, since it is more metabolic?
*what is the goal of SIM? what do I do when the 30 second rests are too much? do I go up in weight or take less of a rest?
*do I use the same weight kb all the way thru for all exercises? or do I switch around?
*SIM is 4 days, what is recommended for the other 2 days? right now I do Crossfit workouts 2X a week with kettlebells the other 4. Can I continue with the crossfit workouts 2X a week?
*since I am doing deadlifts in Resolution, should I do them during my SIM weeks also, even just one set 2X a week?

Resolution:
*I plan on using it as follows:
Mon- resolution I
tues- Diva workout
wed.- resolution II
thurs- not sure
friday- resolution III
saturday- not sure
does this look right? okay?

*on the MOS Anthony does resolution with Kerry and for the clean and press, he does one clean and 5 presses, in the video that came with Resolution, he does 5 clean and presses. Which is correct or does it matter?

**My goals are just to stay lean and gain strength. I loved ETK and the way it told you what to do on what day and laid everything out so precisely for you. I am trying to organize SIM/resolution like that.

Sorry about all the questions, I just like to be prepared and want to get the most from my workouts.
Thanks for any help you can give!!=)

And here are the answers:
1.For the 2 major lifts, Press or Snatch, The work time will gradually increase over the course of the 6 months. With these lifts I would use the heaviest weight you can within that time frame. For all of the other auxillary lifts, 30secs remains the work time throughout. With these I would try and decrease your rest time to the 15sec point. Then to make these exercises more difficult you can increase weight.
Yes, in talking with Anthony I realized how metabolic the SIM program really is. Now depending on your overall workout goals, that is what would determine which other workout you should choose the other 2 days of the week.
I use different weights for different exercises for SIM. So try and challenge yourself with each movement given, within the timeframe.

2.I have been doing a combination of Resolution and SIM since January with the heaviest weights I can use. I have lost maybe 2 lbs on the scale but dropped an inch from my waist. I have also gone from swinging a 20kg bell to a 24kg for Resolution 1.
When I started I could not even pushpress a 40lb. I now pushpress a 20kg. The way I use Resolution and SIM is like this: M,W Resolution1( 24kg swings, 65lb barbell C&P- 10 sets- about 22minutes plus 10-15 full pullups at the end). Tues- SIM with 30 sec rests using 12, 14, 16kg. Thurs- variety day- DIVA, Providence or SIM. Saturday: Resolution 2 with 14 or 16kg plus double suitcase DL with 2X24kg. I started doing C&P with 18kg (40lbs) but realized I needed more volume at a lower weight before I moved up to get through all the reps. In addition to this I am working on a heavy deadlift program at the gym on Tuesday and Friday.
My goals are strength oriented and I have gained strength doing this. As I mentioned before I have not "bulked up" and in fact have gotten leaner since I started 6 months ago. Heavy weights will not cause bulking unless you are eating like a stevedore and/or are taking 'roids. Just not going to happen if you don't have a Y chromosome. Even most men have a tough time gaining significant mass without artificial hormonal "help". Combining resolution and SIM in some form will make you stronger and fitter. How you combine the 2 workouts is entirely up to you. There are no rules only a few suggestions by AOS. It is the kind of program that can be tailored to your own needs. Another thing is if your goals are primarily strength then excessive cardio ( longer than 30-35 minutes) can be counterproductive. If you are working at a fairly high intensity long workouts are not really needed. SIM only takes about 30 minutes to get through if you do 30 sec rests. Resolution is done in 30 minutes or less.

so I kinda got the impression from her that to do cardio during SIM was not a good idea since SIM was metabolic. Also, just an fyi, I am not a cardio fan unless its jumprope, ropes or box jumps....and sometimes in short bursts the treadmill. :)

Last edited:
I am struggling. I babysitting my friend's kids, and though I love her... you know where this is going I think. Their youngest is the only boy in the family and is the youngest - on both sides of their families - and he is driving me crazy. My youngest son worships this kid, but he is so mean to DS. I just put a 7 year old in time out for telling DS to "shutup"... that seems wrong, doesn't it, especially when all I want to do is tell him to shutup and yell "I don't want to hear you speak anymore, zip it!". Any advice, suggestions? I talked to DH, but he just laughed and said "I am so happy that I get to go to work!!!" Ugh! :eek: He blames things on everyone else, when I talk to him he interrupts with "better" ideas, he wants me to wait on him hand and foot, he doesn't like anything I cook, he doesn't like anything the kids like or want to do, his way is the only way.... I have only had him since last night and all I can think is "why did I agree to this?" I LOVE kids; DH and I always have kids at our house, we are always with kids at church, play with them at the park and pool, but I am having a really hard time with even being able to tolerate him. Really hard time. My friend is even aware of his attitude and calls him a brat herself, which I have never said but I am thinking it right now... Any advice on how to deal with this? Thank you.

Missy

Missy::: Is there any way you could set up a positive reinforcement system for him? Pick one or two behaviors you want to change, make a chart and if he completes the behavior he gets a sticker. daily. if the day goes by and he has stickers (i.e. completed the goal of not saying "shut up" all day, or played a game he didn't want to, but someone else did), he gets_____________. It could be extra 15 min. before bed, (check with his mom about that), a baseball or pokeman card, he gets an extra 15 min. on the game cube,...you get the idea.... I try not to do money or food as a daily "prize". I also let the child pick what he wants as a reward.

I'm not good at explaining so here's an example. My DS12 is ADHD, in the morning he is loud and wakes my other son up with yelling, going in his room and stomping up and down the stairs. I said this is unacceptable, so we decided together that every morning he is quiet and doesn't wake up his brother he gets a baseball card. 99% of the time this works:) At the end of the week, if he's gotten a card all week, I let HIM pick an extra card on Saturday!

hth!!

Deanie - Thanks for posting that response from AOS. Both of those programs are looking pretty interesting.

Missy - I have no advice to offer (no kids here), but I'm sending you an infinite number of patience vibes. Good luck!!

Hi everyone.

Today I did Providence and I was able to use a 26#kb for most of it. I then did a butt and posture segment from Classical Stretch. I feel like I have been rode hard and put away wet.

Deanie- Way to go on those double bells! You are really making some huge gains. Did you say that you are going to Fl for vacation? I like your discipline ideas.

Missy- Beat him. Hit him in a place where bruises don't show. Thump him a couple of times in the top of his head. ( Just Kidding:)). Seriously, I would let him and his mother know that there will be no special food prep. If he doesn't like what you have then he can eat when he gets home. If she doesn't like this, oh well, she can find another sitter. If he doesn't like the activity you are doing then he can play silently with himself (okay that didn't sound right), he can color or he can go read a book. Let him know that certain words will not be tolerated and that if those words are used then the person who he is talking to will walk away. Same thing for interruptions. If he interrupts you, say excuse me, and let him know that he can't speak when you are speaking. If he continues this, everyone gets up and walks away. The conversation can continue when he apologizes. Let his mother know what you plan on doing so it won't be you against him. Good luck.

(Disclaimer- I am not a mom, I just play one on tv- I mean in the classroom.)

The Big Green Egg is a ceramic cooker that uses hardwood charcoal. You can adjust the temperature and do really long cooks or low and slow cooks. I have baked a pizza, turkey, and just about anything you can cook in an oven.

Gayle- Glad you are feeling better today. I sent you some virtual ginger for your tummy and a bowl of virtual chicken soup.

Waves to Jane, Marcy, Andilynn and everyone else.

Hi Everyone!

I was really busy at work yesterday. Here's my summary since the weekend:

Saturday - Samba lesson and dance - 3 1/2 hours; 2 pullups

Sunday - 1 1/2 mile hike with DH and Max (finally got DH off the couch!) He says we'll try for a longer hike next time. Also, 1 pullup and 3&3/4 chinups.

Monday - Tracy Anderson's Post-Pregnancy Workout - this one is a real killer of a core workout - my core's still sore and I'm still feeling DOMS in my glutes too. It's really a core/leg workout. Very little arms. Lots of plank work.

Also did Interval X Plus for about 20 minutes.

Today - Wanted to do IMAX 3 and yoga but DH was sleeping and I didn't want to disturb him so I wound up just doing yoga. I did Yoga Radiance. I attempted tripod headstand twice - tougher than regular headstand. Tried Bird of Paradise again but still having a tough time with that one. Side crane wasn't so easy either. This DVD doesn't have much instruction on it. My balance was good though.

Farmer - Great job on Providence! I found I definitely needed a stretch after every KB workout. I don't know why they don't include stretches on KB workouts.

Sounds like you gave Missy some good advice! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Would you like to come over to my house to cook??:D

Your KB classes sound awesome! Keep up the good work! How does your DH like them? After my Knuckle Up class, I was bruised on my shins for about a week.

Deanie - Good luck with SIM! Great workout today!

Missy - I hope you're enjoying your rest day. Great workout yesterday! I like more bodyweight exercises too.

Waves to Jane, Gayle and Andilynn and all who follow!

Marcy

Hi Everyone!

I was at my parent's all day so I'm late checking in. Yesterday I went for a swim but it was more of a relaxing swim than a workout.

I'll be hitting the backyard for a workout in a hour. It's 95 degrees today with a hit index of 104 degrees. Yay for summer in the South!!!

I have no name for this workout so if anyone has an idea, let me know.

Warm-up: 100 jump rope

Workout
Max number of rounds in 30 minutes.
30 Med Ball Thrusters
20 push ups
50 yard walking lunges
400 meter run
25 kettlebell swings

Missy ~ I can't help you out with the kid thing but sending you some wise vibes to help you out.

Deanie ~ Yay on Firepower!!! Good job with the 25#. I can only do 18#s. The next weight I have is 25# and I can't manage that yet.

Gayle ~ I glad you're feeling better today. Have fun with your workout.

Rhonda ~ Great job on Providence!!

Waves hello to Andilynn and Marcy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.