***CHEETAHS***In the Groove

LauraR

Cathlete
Well, I'm back in the groove in more ways than one today. School started back (after an especially long break), and I was back to running. Various other ones of you have had schedule changes and various re-arrangements, so here's hoping that ALL the Cheetahs are in an awesome workout groove today.

The IT band was still tight as I started, so I was cautious. But it actually loosened up as I went along. But, that said, I decided to STILL be cautious, so I ran steady state instead of speed drills. But it was FUN because it was so easy. I was bouncing along and feeling strong uphill. Wow. I only did a little over three miles, but I was striding along. In fact, I was so pumped that I ran my normal route in reverse, which meant fewer hills in general but one that is the Hill from Hell monster. I'm telling you, that hill must be a 45 degree angle. I need to post a picture of the thing. I have never, ever, ever run up it, and I did today--at the END of my run.

Can you tell I'm stoked? :)

I have been concerned about my slow recovery after my first 10-miler and wondered if I was just not going to be able to log that kind of distance. But being able to run today has me pumped again. I think I'm back on track.

Have you all found that your body learns to recover faster from long distances as you gain experience?

Last edited:
Good morning Cheetahs!

Quickie for right now...what else is new, right:rolleyes:?

Laura - Thanks for getting us started this morning. Fabulous run!!! I know that, for me, when I do finally conquer those mega hills (and I have a bunch around here!) and don't feel like I'm going to die, *THAT'S* the kind of day when I feel like I can do anything. It's amazing, idn't it;)???

Judy - Absolutely NO problem:D!!! I'm so glad that you found a perfect fit for ya in terms of scheduling...I would have done the same thing. Wendy *did* put words in my mouth and she was 100% on the money;):D. We all have such crazy busy lives that we've all had to become super creative to fit in everything that we need to get done and *that* is the perfect solution for you. Enjoy the visit with DD and you niece and good luck in Manhattan:D!

My apologies for not getting back here last night. Tired isn't the word for how I felt last night after work. By 1:00 yesterday my arse was dragging:confused: and getting through the riding list was about all I could handle. Heck, I was asleep by 7:00 last night:eek:. However, I'm feeling pretty revved right now and am ready for a nice 6-7 miler in the rather, ahem *brisk* air:confused::eek:.

Gotta run to the barn and feed all the beasties then I'll come back here and get-a-movin' on that run. Ciao for now ladies!

Good Morning Girls.

Laura: Everyone is different. Your recovery time may be longer but that doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't run the distance. I can run far at a leisurely pace and be fine but a race situation at a shorter distance will take me days to recover from. For example...I ran 15 miles while training for my 18 miler last year. I was fine afterwards. No aches or pains at all yet I ran 2 half marathons and was sore as heck after both of them for days! So for me, speed seems to play more of a part in how I recover then distance. That being said, soreness is not going to stop me. It's not an injury so I don't worry. I just grunt and groan my way through a few days until I'm recovered and ready to start again!:)

Wendi: Well if I put words in your mouth I am atleast glad that you liked them. LOL Enjoy your "brisk weather run" today!:cool:

BBL.

Hi cheetahs

Wendi- I am so relieved that you understand and are not upset with the change in plans. Thank you!

Wendy- The baptism I believe is in Westwood? I have to double check. I was interested in your reply to Laura about recovery from easy paced runs versus speed/races. It makes sense to me!

Laura- Way to go on your great run! having a good run after a long one is so encouraging :)

I have a few questions for the experienced people:
Now that my HM is 5 weeks earlier than planned, I have some adapting to do . My mileage has been fine in fact it has been a bit ahead of pace, thankfully.

1.Should I jump into the second last week of the training schedule and pick up from there? This would be the highest mileage week (but only 2.5 miles more than last week) and then a lower week and then the race.

2. I did hill-sprints on Sunday and today is one mile intervals at a fast pace. I am thinking I would be better off doing a tempo run today since I just did sprints 48 hours ago (I deviated from the program there) and I don't normally do them more that once a week ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Howdy chicas!

Just had me a fantastic, medium hilly, 7 miler and actually came in at just under 62:00 so I'm thrilled with that. I was a little worried about the fact that I'm only able to run once, sometimes twice, a week but it looks like it's working so far:cool:. I will say that it was cooooooold (12*)! BRRRR!

Wendy - I have to completely agree with ya about speed vs. distance. I'm finding the exact same thing to be true with me.

Judy - Glad that you're a bit ahead of schedule with regards to mileage. You're going to be more than prepared. Although, I can now tease ya about taking the easy, *flat* half:p. LOL, J/K of course;)!

Gotta go. See yas all tonight!

Good morning cheetahs

Laura...thanks re: my nieces loss. I agree it is always a hard thing to go through. I like a lot of the pro teams. Yes, the Cowboys and also the Raiders as that was my Dad's team (they have kinda sucked the last few years!!) but I enjoying watching most games. There are a few teams I don't like either so it makes it all interesting. Way to go pushing it up that killer hill! Yes, your body will learn to recover faster from distances as you gain more experience.

Wendi...thanks for the Hugs for my niece...:)...many of the slides were great, fun reminiscing. Great job on the 7 miler...::)

Wendy...It was sweet seeing the old family pics. IA it does warm the heart. How incredibly sad about the dog you had to put down...:(...Animals just seem to pull on our heart strings and it is so hard to let them go. What Slo mo workout are you trying today?

Jackie...Thanks re: my niece. Time does help in these situations. I was sad the Titans didn't make it, they do have a cute coach! Sounds like you had a busy weekend. Glad you got to see your friend in the hospital.

Brighton...thanks re: Jasmine. I know time is good in these situations and my niece's puppy is quite adorable.

Shelly...sounds like you scored some good workouts! You guessed it, I was quite a tomboy. My next door neighbor who I hung out with was a boy with 2 little brothers. Sorry about the insomnia...hate that!

WOW, it was 73 yesterday and I even got some sun!! Today is MM lower, and 40-60 min on the EXT.

Have a great day...:)

Rolling, rolling, rolling... Keep that leg a-rolling!

Good morning, Cheetahs!!!

Well, I did get the roller yesterday afternoon, and I think it will be great. I will keep you posted. Still a lot of pain yesterday, and no run. It's very frustrating. I'm hoping to ice & roll today and get to the gym this afternoon to get a test run in. I'm getting antsy.

Another funeral to attend today-- one of our neighbors passed away last week. She was a spunky lady in her late 70s but had all sorts of health difficulties--diabetes, heart disease, kidney dialysis, so it was a bittersweet thing in a way. We will miss her. She and her husband were angels when I was dealing with the toxemia/preclampsia with my last pregnancy, bringing meals and watching over us. My heart aches for her husband. But she's definitely in a better place now.

Shelly: That new workout sounds like a killer! :D Ah, yes, the joys of motherhood. I would love to get DD2 potty trained, but she is showing absolutely zero interest. Guess I need to to find a good bribe here soon. ;) I really hope you are able to get caught up on sleep before your crazy schedule resumes!!!

Karen: I am so sorry about the dog situation. Hang in there!!! I'm sure the right one will come along for you soon. Good luck with DH & the kettlebells!!! :)

Wendy: A double-edged sword is a good way of putting it. We really miss DH while he's away, and bedtime can get a wee bit taxing after a long day alone. But the 3 of us have fun together. We broke the time up last night by going over to one of our friends' homes. The kids were able to run around like crazy people & I was able to enjoy some nice adult conversation. :D We will be happy to see DH when he gets home this afternoon. I'm no expert, but I think you're looking good with your miles!

Judy: I don't think you're selfish at all!!! How wonderful you'll be able to be there for the family baptism. That makes you a "Great" Aunt!!! ;) It sounds like you are right on track with training for the half-- if it were me I'd just do what feels right for your body. Either way, I think you're fine. That's just my very un-expert opinion, though.

Laura: Yay for tackling the HFH!!! :D :D :D I have one of those here too. The first time I finally ran all the way up it I felt like a superhero! :D I'm no long-distance expert, but I've found if I rest the day after a long run (I usually run Sat, rest Sun), I'm feeling pretty perky by Monday-- even if I felt like a complete slug on Sunday. Especially if I'm eating right. That's my experience, anyway. :)

Wendi: Who needs workouts when they have a work regimen like yours!!! :eek: Good luck with everything! :) WTG with that hilly run, speedy cheetah!!! :D

Carole: Ooh, enjoy that California sunshine!!! :D 73 sounds like absolute heaven!!!

Hello to all the rest of the Cheetah gang!!! :D

Quick post to say my legs are SORE from the KB. My inner thighs and hamstrings are tight. Whew!!! My upper body is not sore at all.

Ran three miles on my sore legs to flush them out which it did but now they are tight again.

Wendy (et al)--I posted a picture on my page of Great Dane (Abby) and her litter. It's actually of her and only 8 of the 9 because the last hadn't been born yet.

I'll post more pictures when the pups are up and walking and actually look like dogs. :)

Hi Cheetahs! Had a long post and the computer decided to do a freeze on me. :mad:

Brighton - A poopy bum! Haven't heard that one before. LOL!! Sorry the ITB is still bothering you. Sure hope the roller helps you out. So sorry to hear about your neighbor.

Shelly - Sorry about the insomnia. Glad you're enjoying your new workouts! When they're on sale, it makes it even better. Think your DH would really like Everest. It was quite interesting. My friend has cancer and can't get treatments yet because of surgery he had to remove a tumor from his back. He's learning to walk all over again.

Karen - Glad you're enjoying your KB workouts. Hope you can convince DH to do KB with you since he's using iClimb. Bummer on the dog again. It's just not the right one for you yet. He will come though.

Wendy - Good job on the 7 miles! I'll read further to see if you made the early morning wake up call. Think you are right about the shorter races v the longer ones. I was sore after my last half marathon because of the pace we ran.

Judy - Friend was breathing on his own and talking a little Sunday. But, you could tell he was really weak. Sounds like the NYRR half marathon works better for you. I like killing 2 birds with one stone too. We all know Wendi will understand.

Laura - Glad you're back in the groove. Wanted to tell you what a great work you and DH are doing. I ordered the Gold's Gym 20 pound vest from Wal-Mart. Haven't received it yet. Went to the store last week and they now have it in the store for a few $$ more. I can really tell how much you enjoyed your run today. That's great! Yes, my body does recover a lot faster from long runs. Oh, yeah, you mentioned that your DH didn't lose any BF with P90X. I had the same results. I did get stronger but the BF went up. It was probably because I was adding too much cardio.

Wendi - Sounds like your body needed a good night's sleep. Glad you had a good run today.

Carole - Send some of your warm weather this way. We should be hitting the teens tomorrow. BRR!! I just wish it would stay cold or warm. Then, maybe people wouldn't have so much crud.

Today's workout was iTread #13 Sprints and Denise Austin's Yoga Legs & Yoga Relax.

Time for lunch. Enjoy your day ladies!

Hi again :) I wanted to share my workout. I did a 7.5 mile out door run. hilly. the first 1.5 was warm up. then 4 miles at tempo ( I lost a bit on the hills butgained on the down hills) then 2 miles easy pace and home to stretch.

Wendi- Holy-smokes-you-are-fast! 7 miles in 62"! It must be your active life style! BTW this is what the web site has to say about the Manhattan Grand Prix HM: ""Runners are drawn to the challenging hills of Manhattan's Central Park for the first half-marathon of 2009."" So I am not getting a break from the hills after all.:eek:

Jackie- Your friend has a tough road ahead. It is nice you are there for him.

Brighton- have fun foam rolling .I never did get to rolling my behind yesterday

Laura- nice pup pic!

Ok, gotta scram!

Evening ladies!

Carole - Oh, yeah, sure, just rub your 73* in just a little more:p! J/K, of course! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy it:D. Wow, toughie of a leg workout you banged out today...well done!

Brighton - {{{HUGS}}}...your neighbor sounds like such a wonderfully sweet lady. Hope the foam roller does the trick for ya. LOL, the fact is that I *need* to workout to stay sane and happy and to release all the bottled up stress. I can't tell you how much I love the "me" time:D.

Karen - Sorry your legs tightened back up after your run. Hope the soreness eases up for you. I know that there is the perfect pooch out there just waiting to meet you:). Perhaps there's a reason you weren't meant to adopt the others;).

Laura - Awwwww, what cute pups!

Jackie - Grrrrr, sorry about the 'puter freeze...nothing more frustrating:mad:. ITA with you about the ups and downs in the temps lately...sheesh! Great job on the sprints today! So, tell me, do you "mute" Denise or are you able to handle it:p?

Judy - Fantastic run today, babe:cool:. Okay, okay...I'll stop bustin' your chops about missing out on the hills;). Aww, thanks:eek:...just feeling really strong this morning and loving every moment of my run this morning:D.

Shelly - Gosh, I hope you were able to catch up on at least some of that lost sleep. I couldn't imagine keeping your schedule on so little rest!

Hi to Gloria, Cathy, Posh, Wendy, Christine (did I miss something...are you out of town?)!

Oh, BTW, I did decide to skip the Friday step class. I just have soooooooo much to do around here at home and locally that I just need to buckle down and get 'er done. I'm actually not *that* disappointed as I would rather have my "to do" list behind me.

Gonna go work on LaundryMax for a bit then settle in to watch "biggest Loser". Have a great night ladies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.