Question for FitnessFreak about slimming hips

nverplanck

I have heard a ton of different opinions on slimming down my lower body. Is there anyone that has a sure fire rotation? I was told to increase my cardio and to decrease my weights for lower body...then I heard that I should do heavy weights! Yikes Im confused. I don't go to the gym...my basic schedule is Running/Spinning in my house a few times a week and then I do Cathe's tapes. I tend to do tapes like Butts and Gutts and Legs and Glutes each week....I'm not overweight, just need to slim out my hip area. Any suggestions...also I have pulled a few of Cathe's lower body rotations off the site and they seem like a ton of weight training...not sure what to do....ps I hate Step since Im not coordinated enough....thanks for any help you can offer Also any thoughts on overtraining and the 48 hours of rest for each muscle group
Elena

Elena,
Weight training is important when slimming down the hips. And so is cardio. You need a good balance of both. That being said, doing workouts like B&G, L&G, GS Legs are a good way to start. Try getting one of these workouts in twice a week to blast the area. The floor routines in these workouts are excellent to slim out areas of the hips and glutes. So even if you don't want to do the entire workouts if time is short, do the floor work. Maybe do them twice through if you don't do the entire workout.

Heavy weight work will cause muscle gain but should also tighten up the area. But I think for what you are wanting to do, the above would work better. So for a rotation, do somehting like this:

Mon. - Legs & Glutes
Tues. - Upper body
Wed. - Cardio
Thur. - B&G
Fri. - rest
Sat. - Cardio
Sun. - Upper body

Follow this for about 4 to 6 weeks. Change it up with the leg workouts like do GS Legs one Monday, or switch B&G from Thur. to Monday. Also, on cardio days try to get in at least one kickbox workout if you have any of Cathe's. Kick Max is great because she concentrates on the lower body quite a bit, especially with the last drills.

Hope this helps!

I'd even consider doing something more along the lines of Supercuts Extreme on Saturday instead of pure Cardio as its basically an overall circuit/total body "polisher" ;) And, then do Cardio on Sunday. Then maybe the next week do Cardio on Saturday and Upper Body on Sunday as FitnessFreak suggested, then alternate weekend workouts that way. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.