P90X like rotation using Cathe

I have one that uses alot of the Cathe library before the 4DS came out. If you have the 4DS, make your life easy and use that:

Using 4DS---->

weeks 1-3
chest and back and KB abs
cardio only LIS/HIS
bi and tri (and tack on shoulders) and KB abs
yoga of choice
legs only premix and KB abs
cardio only KB/BC
off

weeks 4,8,13
pilates (not cathe)
stretch max - any 2 segments
cardio kicks
stretch max - any 2 segments
pilates
yoga

weeks 5-7:
using the 4DS premixes:
chest, shoulders, tricep premix and LIS abs
cardio only LIS/HIS
back and bi premix and LIS abs
yoga of choice
legs only premix and LIS abs
cardio only KB/BC
off

weeks 9&11: same as weeks 1-3
weeks 10&12: same as weeks 5-7

I happen to be in the small minority of people who tried P90X and didn't like it/didn't get good results. I think you will get great results with this P90X like rotation using Cathe.

Good Luck and enjoy!
Deanie

Deanie,

This looks interesting. I have a few questions though.
1 - Could I sub KPC for Cardio Kicks?
2 - What yoga and pilates workouts do you like?

Thanks!

Not Deanie, but we both put the rotation together. Yes, you can sub KPC for Cardio Kicks.

As for yoga and pilates:

I basically did power yoga (only did Yoga X a few times - there are much better yoga practices out there): Eoin Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness, Baron Baptiste's Next Challenge Level 2, David Swenson's Short Forms (45 mins. practice - intermediate level); Mark Blanchard's Trilogy Volume 3. I also did some Vinyasa - Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti and Fluid Power.

I didn't do pilates during the X rotation but some of the ones I use are:

Rael Pilates 27
Hilary Burnett's Advanced Mat Pilates
MTV Pilates Mix

Marcy

Deanie or Marcy,

Do these workouts tend to be around 1 hour in length? Just a ballpark idea would be great.

I've been seeing the P90X commercials and have been tempted to check them out, but with just having ordered STS, didn't want to spend the money. Especially since I'm not too sure I'd like Tony and his crew, or the workouts.

Can you tell me what you did/didn't like about the P90X workouts? I guess I'm wondering what everyone is loving about these, and looking for the flip side from someone else. Is 4DS pretty comparable to what he does? Any input would be appreciated, and thanks for this rotation - I have all of these and can start it right away!!

Thanks again,
Tricia

Deanie, I would be interested in seeing your (before 4DS) rotation too!

I actually need two rotations. One for me, and one for my running partner. I am planning on lending my running partner my DVD's so it would be great if could us 4DS and she could could use the other (or vice versa).

We want to use this rotation with our 1/2 Marathon training. We realize (due to our running) that we might not see "true" P90X like results. We also know that the best results occur when following the program religiously. We just are not willing to have our running take a "back seat" at this time.

We are considering ordering the real program during our off running season in the winter.

Well, I must have deleted my before 4DS faux P90X rotation. I can't find it. Maybe Marcy still has it, we worked on it together. Sorry:(

I didn't like P90X, but I also was coming from a different place than most people. I have never been overweight in my life, I'm a size 2 or 4 already, and I already eat clean. My goals were definition, not weight loss. And I was looking to get stronger.

Here is what I didn't like about P90X:
* Cathe weight work is harder the way it is put together- also, for me, her leg work was better! (I danced ballet/jazz for years, so it wasn't the lack of weight work for legs, just the work itself was not good)
* Cathe cardio is harder/more fun/ better--because I was doing the Imax's and kickbox cardio, plyo X was not hard at all!
* I was lifting just as much with Cathe. The difference is Cathe works each muscle to failure, and Tony never does the same muscle more than 2X in a row.
* Cathe's warm ups are much better!
* Cathe's ab work was better for me- the X ab work was hard, but I saw better results with Cathe
* and last but not least---ENOUGH with the push ups!!! I can do about 40+ standard pushups and push ups are not hard for me-- I do "boy" pushups on my toes. Well, by the time I was at #25ish and I still had 15 more to go, I just lost interest. The only push up I couldn't do more than 30 was the dive bomber (i think 23 was my max) I just wasn't interested in doing all those push ups!! boring boring boring!
* I also didn't like when Tony would say "speed is your friend" when doing pushups or tri. excersises without weights. Speed is not your friend-- good form should be! Momentum should not be what is helping you get the next rep, your muscles should be working to get the next rep with good form!!

In fairness I should say what I liked about the X:
* I liked Tony, I thought he was funny
* I liked the challenge of chin ups and pullups
* since I tried this before 4DS, I liked the push/pull method, and the way the muscles groups were grouped together to workout. (i.e. chest/back; shoulders,tri,bi; chest, shoulders, tri; back and bi) but now in 4DS Cathe has those in a premix and reg. workouts

For me, for some reason, I could do the same Cathe dvds for 3 weeks and not get bored, they are still fun and challenging. With Tony, by week 2, I knew his jokes and I was starting to get bored. I also think I was excited to "do the X!!" there has been/is so much on these boards about it, it was exciting. But once I actually got into it, it wasn't so great. I think P90X is good for learning to stick with a rotation. To learn that you can go heavy and to challenge yourself (if you don't for some reason already do that with Cathe)

JMO,
Deanie

too cool, how funny, i was trying to find a 4-day split rotation and then found this. gonna have to try it. anyone here done it yet?

aww rats, i really wanted to send it to someone. i think i printed it out. i have not tried px90, but from what i've seen of the guy on tv, don't think i would like working out with him. i am pretty picky. i only use the firm, cathe and tracie long workouts. i tried to do a search for it and couldn't find it .
cathy

This looks awesome! I'm adding it to my list & will start Monday. I just got 4DS and I love it!!! Has anyone completed this rotation? I'm curious to hear your results!!

p90x and cathe

I received p90x for christmas on 2010 it took a while for me to get into it but i had been doing cathe for two years and was really used to her. i finally decided to do the doubles for phase 2 of p90 x because i felt that p90x was not enough cardio for me. i use cathe premixes for the extra cardio for the double days such as 40/20 or only step of step blast or i use my stair master for 20 to 40 minutes on the double days. i have found that my thighs are thinner since doing this and i am able to do the strip set in back and biceps of p90x where as two weeks i couldnt. I found that p90 x has some great workouts and cathe of course has the best and when you sub one for the other and use them together its pretty freaking awesome. Hope this helps.:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.