Gym/Cathe rotation

Humanhair

Cathlete
I need a rotation that combines gym workouts on some days and Cathe workouts on other days. I love my Cathe workouts - in fact, I prefer them to the gym - but I work from home and find that I just need to get out of the house sometimes. Plus, I like using heavier weights on the machines and find lifting heavier at the gym gives me a little more stamina for the videos. I just need a routine that's well-rounded and complementary. Thanks for any suggestions!
-Caroline

How about a "split routine" of Cathe cardio and gym weights, then the next week do Cathe weights and gym cardio? No sense in making it all difficult!

You can also switch the machines you use at the gym - at my Y they have Hammer Strength, Cybex Eagle, and Techno Gym.

Just Do It! :)

Hi Caroline,

This suggestion only covers the lower half, but I hope it helps.

I just tried out a lower body/glute routine that was in the March 2003 issue of M & F HERS. It uses supersets of heavy weight, low rep sets paired with body weight only, high rep sets.

I found it to be a really nice complement to Cathe's leg work and different enough that it hit my muscles in a new way. I definitely felt my hamstrings working more than they had been. I did this once a week for 8 weeks in conjunction with the upper body stuff in Pure Strength and Slow & Heavy.

I can post the exact workout if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Here it is!!

Wow!! This is my first ever posted rotation, hope it’s up to par and sorry about it’s long-windedness. I did this for 8 weeks during February – April with the focus being on muscle and strength building, particularly shoulders, that’s why there’s an extra day of that in there. The Cathe cardio tapes I used were Rhythmic Step, Power Max, Step Fit and Step Works. I was also skiing a lot during this time, so that became my cardio of choice on some days:

Weeks 1-4 Upper Pure Strength w/ Gym Glutes:
Day 1 – Glute Workout (below)
Day 2 – PS CST, abs from one of the CTX tapes
Day 3 – Cardio
Day 4 – PS BBA
Day 5 – Cardio
Day 6 – CTX Shoulders or Off
Day 7 – Cardio, abs from one of the CTX tapes

Weeks 5-8 Upper Slow & Heavy w/ Gym Glutes
Day 1 – Glute Workout
Day 2 – S&H Biceps, Triceps, Abs
Day 3 – S&H Shoulders only from Leg & Shoulders
Day 4 – Cardio
Day 5 – S&H Chest, Back, Abs
Day 6 – Off
Day 7 – Cardio, abs from one of the CTX tapes

Superset Glute Workout from M&F Hers March 2003
This workout supersets heavy weight/low rep exercises with body weight only/high rep exercises. It’s recommended for once a week. This workout should move at a moderately quick pace, with a minute or less between sets. Descriptions of these exercises can be found at the URL http://muscleandfitnesshers.com/hers/122602/good_behind.html. Do three sets each of the following exercise pairs in this order, it should take roughly an hour:

Superset #1:
Squats – Use weight heavy enough to do at least 8 reps, but no more than 12.
Plie Squats – Body weight only, 18-20 reps.

Superset #2:
Walking Lunges – Use weight heavy enough to do at least 12 reps per side, but no more than 15.
Jump Squat – Body weight only, 18-20 reps.

Superset #3:
Single Leg Presses (I use my 17”step) – Use weight heavy enough to do at least 10 reps per leg, but no more than 15.
Alternating Reverse Lunges/Dips – Body weight only, alternate for 18-20 reps per side.

Superset #4:
Deadlifts – Use weight heavy enough to do at least 8 reps, but no more than 12.
Glute Lift off a Stability Ball – No weight, 18-20 reps.

Enjoy :D :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.