Fitnessfreak help!! Weight training workouts and fat loss

millalyte86

Cathlete
So I'm trying to lose weight for my wedding on October :). I currently have about 20 lbs. to lose by then. I'm 5'7 and currently weigh 177 lbs. I have a lot of natural muscle to my body and built very athleticly. I have muscular soccer legs but for some reason I keep ending up with shin splints whenever I run or do any cardio. I try to take a few days off in between to rest them, and I do exercises specifically to prevent shin splints, but I always get them. Problem I've had since high school.

Now to my question. I really want to get a lot more arm definition. Since my body seems to not like doing cardio a lot of cardio, If I did more weight training (specifically upperbody) workouts will I still end up getting the fat loss I want? I'm thinkng of doing a rotation like this..

Sunday- Pyramid upperbody
Monday- running and power yoga
Wednesday- muscle endurance
Thursday- Gym style back, shoulder, and biceps
Friday- OFF or yoga
Sat- Gym style chest and triceps and running

Is this not enough lower body? To be honest I HATE doing leg strength training lol. I just feel uncomfortable the whole time like I'm feeling the burn in places I shouldn't despite using perfect form, ect. But what do you think? I really would like to be at my goal weight by May (in time for my first dress fitting). Thanks for your help!!!

-Lauren

Last edited:
I think you have way too much upper body stuff going on here. You can't overtrain, either, or you will defeat your goals.

Each muscle group should be trained once a week, twice at the most. So maybe do something more like this:

SU - Pyramid Upper Body + abs
MO - Running
TU - you skipped Tuesday - is that a rest day?
WE - Pyramid Lower Body
TH - Yoga
FRI - Some type of cardio
SAT - ME

I understand about shin splints. Since you've had this issue since high school I would assume it's not your shoes??? For Friday, do some kind of light aerobics - fast walking or maybe even kickboxing. KB shouldn't cause shin splints. Try something different, maybe it's all the running you do. Keep in the yoga for sure and do one upper body, one lower body and one total body in each week. Just change up the workouts as you see fit.

You have Friday as a rest day or yoga - any reason? Time restraints? What about Tuesday? Is that an off day?

Your rotation should look something like this, add in your rest day whenever:

Day 1 - Upper body + abs
Day 2 - Cardio
Day 3 - Lower Body
Day 4 - Yoga
Day 5 - Total Body
Day 6 - Cardio
Day 7 - Rest

Thanks Debbie! Yea the shin splits have nothing to do with my shoes. I wear custom orthotics and everything. I just think it's from running on concrete. Eventually (after the wedding when I can afford it) I'd like to get a gym membership again so I can cross train with spin classes and the elliptical when I feel the shin splints coming on.

One more question if you don't mind.. Is there any specific way to help get rid of arm cellulite? I have A LITTLE that I notice every once in a while when I move my arm a certain way or in some lighting and it drives me nuts! Will just losing weight in general help with this problem? Is training with heavy weight better or more endurance type upper body? Or both? I just feel bummed that I've been working out hard 5 to 6 days a week and counting evey calorie I eat for almost 2 months and have noticed hardly any difference in my body. Especially my arms which just look bulky to me without much definition. I train heavy and am pretty strong. I lift what Cathe lifts in the videos and most of the time I even lift heavier. I guess I'm just feeling a little discouraged. Thanks again for all your help. You're so knowledgeable. I hope it doesn't annoy you that we all constantly seek your advise lol.

-Lauren

Last edited:
Under arm cellulite is almost as hard to get rid of as the cheesecake on the backs of our legs. Diet is the key for these specific areas and even that is not a 100% guarantee. As we age, our skin becomes less able to pull tight when we lose weight so we end up with hanging skin. The older we get, the harder it is to tighten up those areas. Heavy weight training fills out these areas better because you are building muscles, but like I said, as we age, the skin just loses its elasticity.

It sucks, I know!

It DOES suck lol. But I'm only 24 years old! I didn't think the elasicisty of my skin would be effected already! GEEZ! lol But I'm going to continue with my heavy upper body work and try some coco butter lotion in hopes that helps with that issue. Thanks again!

It DOES suck lol. But I'm only 24 years old! I didn't think the elasicisty of my skin would be effected already! GEEZ! lol But I'm going to continue with my heavy upper body work and try some coco butter lotion in hopes that helps with that issue. Thanks again!

Have you recently - or ever for that matter - lost a large amout of weight? Like over 50#? If so, that could be the reason. You are right, at 24 you should definitely have that elasticity of you skin still. Usually over 35 is when you start losing it.

A tan helps, too! LOL!

Nope. I'm actually at a higher weight then I am usually and never lost more then 30 lbs., which was years ago. I'm hoping just losing some fat will help this slight arm cellulite issue.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.