Eating Right for Your Body Type

nspire

Cathlete
I'm a pear shape and was wondering the percentage of carbs vs protein vs fat should I be eating. I'm a 45 y/o female, 5'7 and 150lbs. Looking to lose that same ole 10 lbs that wont seem to come off. I workout 5-6 dys a week however, I tend to think I eat pretty well, I try to stay clear of processed foods, but for some reason the weight is not coming off. I know eating right is the main key.

Hope this helps....

Hi, Nspire....without knowing what your current calorie rate is, chances are you might not be eating enough, or you might be eating too much! I have researched body types for and what different body shapes require, and it really boils more to what foods work with your body and what does not. I have seen that it seems to me, "pear shaped" people do better on lower carbohydrate lifestyles and it pays to watch those sugars, even sugars from fruit. According to what you've listed here, your maintenance calories would need to be somewhere aroudn 1900 calories to maintain where you are. That being said, in order to LOSE weight, you would need to create a calorie deficit and reduce calories by 350-500 to see weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week. (One pound is 3500 calories, so if in 7 days you can create a calorie deficit of 3500 you will lose one pound of body fat). Keep in mind that most people need at least half their body weight in protein (grams that is). So if you weight 150, you might need to make sure you are getting at least 75 grams a protein a day. I would try to aim for a bit more than that though in order to stoke metabolism and feed muscle adequately. And the next step is to eat every 3-4 hours, and make sure each meal has a protein and vegetable and a little healthy fat, like nut butter or avocado. Eating every 3-4 hours keeps blood sugar stable and helps your body reduce the risk of later in the day and night cravings. Always always always have breakfast and make sure its' protein like eggs or cottage cheese, or if vegan, a help protein shake so that you fire up your metabolism first thing in the morning! Does that help????

Below is an article I wrote on my website blog that might help you too! Let me know what you think?

Know Your Body Type and How to Work it out!
Posted by Jodelle Fitzwater on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"So YOUR body is different from your sister's, different from your best friend's, different from your co-worker's, and yet you are trying to work it out the same way they do. Each of our bodies have different places we store fat, different biomechanics, different needs, and different output. You may have a large butt, and store fat in the lower body, and your spouse may store all his in his abdomen. You may carry weight all over, or you may actually be a hard gainer, and could stand to put on a few pounds (lucky you). Whatever your size, shape, or where you put on weight, there are specific ways to address each body type and specific ways to exercise to help promote a more fit balanced and toned body.

1. The "I have junk in the trunk" body type. This body type obviously had a larger booty, saddlebags, and maybe some thunder thighs, yet a small frame up top. You tend to store excess fat below the belt. For this body type, I recommend two things: cycling and yoga. Cycling is the only cardiovascular exercise scientifically proven to tone the hips and thighs and reduce body mass in that area, while still toning the muscles. And the reason I suggest yoga too, is because this part of the body is lacking the circulation to free up the excess fat. So by doing some deep stretches and strengthening poses for the lower body, you will encouraging blood flow to some "sleepy" areas and encourage fat loss to occur. Drink plenty of water, and avoid high sugar whether natural or processed.

2. The "My muffin top is overflowing" body type. This body tends to store excess fat around the middle and lower back and yet has a fairly thin lower body, and sometimes no butt. For this body type, I recommend two things: walking/running for 60 minutes, and core training. Running/jogging/walking briskly takes core strength so you you are still utilizing the core muscles while you are burning some major calories. Most of you think you have to do crunch after crunch and situp-after situp to see the abdominals come into shape, but this is not so. You have abdominals or you wouldn't be able to sit up straight or stand upright, so now we have to incorporate cardiovascular exercise to burn the fat hiding that muscle. Beyond that, doing "core-focused" training or any exercises that force you to use your torso for effort and energy. Exercises like "plank" "woochoppers" and many Pilates exercises are great for core work. Then, lay off the sugar, the alcohol, and cut your carbohydrate portions in half, as many of you with this body type require fewer carbs.

3. The "I fill-out like the stay-puff marshmellow man" body type. This body type tends to gain weight all over and becomes thick and large. Most taller people can have this trait. When you gain weight you not only gain in your midsection and thighs, but also in your arms, your legs, your feet, your ears, your face your shoulders, etc. You can hide it better with more clothes that way, but still you find yourself so uncomfortable in your own skin. For this body type I recommend two things: 60 minutes of continious cardio for 4-5 days per week and HIIT training. On non-consecutive days alternating between one day of one hour of running/brisk walking and one day of interval training can really press your body beyond the plateau and break down all the all-over adipose and torch calories. For example, on Monday you might run/jog/walk depending on what you are comfortable with for one solid hour at a pace you can maintain for one hour, and then on Tuesday you walk for 2 mins, and run as fast you can for 30secs and then repeat and do that for 30 mins bringing in high intensity intervals in to put that body in fat burning mode....repeat those two days throughout the week resting one day in between and watch the pounds melt off. Finally, water, water, water, and focus on lean proteins and whole fruits and vegetables and steer clear of processed foods. Avoid eating after 8pm and always always start the day with protein and have a good breakfast! No skipping meals!

With that, no matter what body type you have, you should have all the tools you need to reach your goals and get on the road to a healthier, more fit and fabulous you!!!"

Jodelle, I'm so glad you answered my post. I've been on your blog and few times and really enjoy it. I love your fat burning phrase!! I've wanted to contact you but I'm here in San Diego.

As far as body types I'm definately #1 (junk in the trunk) I define well in my upper body and abs, but my lower body isn't catching on. You mentioned cycling and yoga, two things I hardly ever do, actually even never. I tend to do more treadmill and kickboxing, although recently I've been doing Insanity. It's just been frustrating trying to find out exactly what works well for my body. Recently, I began watching my sugar intake, usually for breakfast I'll have a veggie frittata or a protein shake w/mini banana and some type of berries, or even oatmeal (not instant). Lunch is usually a large salad with either salmon, tuna or chicken w/walnuts and lately for dinner its been talapia, salad, and a cooked vegetable, snacks is sometimes nuts, or whatever I may have on hand that's somewhat healty.

Anyway, thanks so much, I really value you expertise.

Never hesitate to contact me no matter where u live! I just worked up a meal plan and did nutrition counseling over the phone for a woman in Michigan and I'm in Missouri!!! I love helping people reach their goals. Glad to help....
Your meals sound good, I would keep that eating plan up and keep avoiding sugar as much possible! Let me know if u need anything else.

Thanks I really appreciate it. As far as protein is concerned, say for example I'm eating around 1400-1500 cals a day. What percentage of that should be protein, carbs and fat? I'm currently logging my foods into MyFitnessPal and am wondering what my goals for each should be. I hear you should eat no more than 30% protein of you daily cals in a day. Is this true or should I increase my protein a little more?

3. The "I fill-out like the stay-puff marshmellow man" body type. This body type tends to gain weight all over and becomes thick and large. Most taller people can have this trait. When you gain weight you not only gain in your midsection and thighs, but also in your arms, your legs, your feet, your ears, your face your shoulders, etc. You can hide it better with more clothes that way, but still you find yourself so uncomfortable in your own skin. For this body type I recommend two things: 60 minutes of continious cardio for 4-5 days per week and HIIT training. On non-consecutive days alternating between one day of one hour of running/brisk walking and one day of interval training can really press your body beyond the plateau and break down all the all-over adipose and torch calories. For example, on Monday you might run/jog/walk depending on what you are comfortable with for one solid hour at a pace you can maintain for one hour, and then on Tuesday you walk for 2 mins, and run as fast you can for 30secs and then repeat and do that for 30 mins bringing in high intensity intervals in to put that body in fat burning mode....repeat those two days throughout the week resting one day in between and watch the pounds melt off. Finally, water, water, water, and focus on lean proteins and whole fruits and vegetables and steer clear of processed foods. Avoid eating after 8pm and always always start the day with protein and have a good breakfast! No skipping meals!

Jodelle, This is me , in fact I can gain 10 lbs and nobody can even tell I have gained any weight. The question I have is I am not a big fan of running. But I do enjoy step workouts. I do have all of Cathes workouts. Will I get the same results with the step/circuit workouts of Cathes. I plan on getting her new series with the spin workout. I do like spin workouts. thank you for any advice you might have. :)

Last edited:
Lovestocamp, yes you can do other things besides running. Running just works quicker for more all over weight gainers. But spinning would also be great! I think the step workouts would also be great. You just want to find some sort of steady state cardio for long duration, and some great interval training for short duration. The main thing is that you keep your calories under control and that you eat protein every 3-4 hours to keep your blood sugar balanced so you don't get heavy cravings later in the day. You can't out-train a bad diet no matter what your workouts entail! ;)

Nspire, generally a good rule of thumb for someone who is active, such as yourself would be 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. That's a good balance for most active individuals. In regards to carbs, the best carbs are from the earth in the form of vegetables and root vegetables as well as brown rice and quinoa. Breads, crackers, pastas, and processed carbs - even if they say 100% whole grain are still "pound-packers" for many individuals. The more processed something is, the less your body has to work to break it down and the more easily it is turned to sugar and stored as body fat....so keep that in mind.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.