Candice's Beginner(ish) XTrain 5x/wk Rotation

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi everyone! :) I am so excited because I finally got my XTrain DVDs in the mail (and all the others I ordered from the black friday sale!!)

Seeing as how it's been a while since I worked out w/ Cathe consistently, I wanted to give myself a 30-day rotation to follow to get back into the swing of things.

I created this rotation based off of Cathe's 30 Day Undulating + RIDE rotation. I used the Ride days as rest days, so it is a 5x/week rotation. I think I'll need at least 2 days off to start with.

I also used more premixes, keeping each workout around 30 minutes. I'm really excited to use this!! I will be sure to report back to everyone. I'm starting tonight!

wk 1
m- burn sets premix 12 (chest + back) (37 min)
t - cardio leg blast premix 3 (34 min)
w - burn sets premixes 6 & 7 (bis and tris) - about 30 min
th - off
fri - hard strikes premix 16 - 35 mins
sa - all out low impact hiit, Premix 7 Timesaver Floor Cardio + Core #1 (33 min)
su - off

wk 2
m - c/b/s premix 3 (33 min)
t - off
w - supercuts premix 8 - 29 mins
th - hard strikes premix 16 - 35 mins
fri - bis/tris premix 3 - 27 mins
sa - cardio leg blast premix 3 (34 mins)
su - off

wk 3
m - burn sets premix 12 (chest + back) (37 min)
t - all out low impact hiit, Premix 7 Timesaver Floor Cardio + Core #1 (33 min)
w - bis/tris premix 3 - 27 mins
th - legs premix 10 (30 mins)
fri - off
sa - tabatacise premix 1 30 mins
su - off

wk 4
m - c/b/s premix 3 (33 min)
t - hard strikes premix 16 35 mins
w - cardio leg blast premix 3 (34 mins)
th - off
fri - burn sets premixes 6 & 7 (bis and tris) - about 30 min
sa - tabatacise premix 1 30 mins
su - off

Thanks Renee! I did my first w/o last night and I loved it!! I am so happy to be back to Cathe & lifting heavy weights. I am going to have to buy some more equipment because I don't have any tubing and I dont have heavy-enough dumbells. XTrain is great though! I am so excited and so glad that I bought it!!

I will be checking in on the regular Fat Loss check-in but also wanted to come back to this thread so that others who might be interested in it can see...

I just did Day 2 of this rotation - it was premix 3 off of Cardio Leg Blast clocking in at about 34 or 35 minutes. It was a hard workout - physically, at least. I definitely am going to be working my way up to Cathe's level from both a strength and a cardio-endurance standpoint! But, I really enjoyed the workout!!! I don't feel exhausted or beat up at all! In fact, I feel invigorated. The stretch at the end was excellent and EXACTLY what I needed. I also did not, nor do I now, feel any dread factor.

For anyone reading this who might be wondering how they could modify Xtrain (or LIS, or really, any Cathe workouts) for beginners, I would really recommend modifying one of her rotations so that it uses the Timesaver premixes. I think that is really what is helping me get and feel excited is that I know I have a rotation that I can actually work with and gives me ZERO dread!!

Good job !! I am glad u are figuring out how to modify and use premixed!!i try to explain that to all my friends but none will bite. Well there was one girl who is 30 and she got to the max and crossfire and gave up on it after one try said it is to hard but I tries to tell her premixed are there so u can build up and if you do squat digs don't go as low, if u are gonna do air jacks do jumping jacks or small air jacks but I guess they get afraid. I'm glad u are finding a way to make it work!

I am really glad I am trying the premixes too. Last time around I didn't use any premixes and I think I subconsciously was intimidated by the length of the workouts. I'm SO HAPPY now with these lengths. They are perfect for getting me "back in Cathe shape!" lol :)

You should def. keep trying to encourage your friends!! I try to encourage all mine but everyone of my friends that are my age or even 10-15 years older say they don't like to workout at home. I don't get it. I've been working out at home since 19. I am NOT a gym person. DVDs are so much better for me. To each their own though! :)

Wow I just read over my post!! Lol premixed? Lol premixes and I saw other typos! I am so sorry for that! I think you are doing great!! And anyone who keeps trying with Cathe is a warrior in my opinion!
I can't get so called runners and crossfit people to try. I mean my sister jogs a lot and she has been doing cross fit but she did a spin DVD of Cathes when she stayed with me and was warn out! Won't even try the weight lifting ones. My hubby tried premix of MM and was so sore he quit won't do it again! Only one was my son that just past he did HS with me and loved it but he liked Cathe and Jai and Amanda! Lol I miss him he was fun. Well anyway I think anyone who dries Cathe and sticks with her is a hard worker! Who's boss!! That's right lol

Just posting a Day #3 update...I completed Burn Sets Premix #6 and #7 and also the conditioning-only premix of Hard Strikes. I went a little too hard w/ HS and kind of fizzled out at the end. Tomorrow is a rest day - I'm a little sad about that! But, I know I will need it!!! I might do some walking or a Stretch Max segment just to help ease the DOMs. :)

Haha, you're right Renee! We are all Cathe Warriors!! My BF keeps saying "no way are they that hard" but I'm like...you have no idea!! I can only keep up about 1/2 time w / Cathe & crew and I am willing to bet, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, that her workouts are tougher than ANYONE's personal trainers at the gym!! I'm sorry again about your son. :( I lost my DH a few years ago (suicide...he was 26...very sad time) So I know how hard it can be to lose someone close to you and so young!. :\ I'm glad to see you have good memories w/ him though!! That is what matters :) and don't mind the typos!! It's Catheletese!

Yes I thinkbthay are harder then any at the gym I have been there and I work and sweat way more at home doing Cathe. Insanity I have and to me Cathes crossfire to the max tabatasize and HIIT workouts and some of the step DVD are harder then insanity! Insanity would be better if the music was better. I have a dread factor with insanity because every DVD seems the same so it is not harder them Cathe but its harder to stick to because it seems boring same type of workout it seemed to me! I need verity . I'll keep doing Cathechil I can't anymor.?

Thanks for posting this rotation. I was looking at the rotations that are in the book and felt extremely intimidated by them and I bought this system when it first came out. I hope you don't mind I printed this out and starting on Monday 16.
Thanks again for sharing.
Cindy (a cathe newbie)

Last edited:
Thank you for posting your rotation, it is exactly what I need to get started again. My work rotation is switching in a few weeks and I know I will need time to get adjusted, so the shorter workouts will work perfectly! I am looking forward to starting :)

Candice,

Thanks so much for posting this rotation. I have been very sick this month and was trying to figure out how to get back into working out without being intimidated and overwhelmed by the long workouts etc. This sounds like a great rotation :)

I am glad you all were able to get some benefit out of it. I am going to be editing the original post to include an even gentler rotation, so stay tuned. :)

Hi,
Do you have any recommendations for a good DVD player? Mine keeps skipping chapters when I use premixes. My first one did the same too.
What DVD players are you guys using?

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I am using my laptop since I don't have a DVD player and haven't for YEARS. I would recommend checking Amazon though. I usually go w/ whatever option is noted as "top rated in XYZ" because it usually tends to be the highest-rated, best-priced option. Usually it is a few bucks over the cheapest option and tends to work best for the widest range of needs. HTH!!

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this rotation ! I had to take a 3 month break from cathe because I had a baby. I'm not 100% yet, and everytime I go down to work out I'm feeling frustrated. I think I need a structured plan and this is it! I'm loving the shorter workouts and only 5 days a week too. I'm finding that working out 60-90 min a day 6 days a week is not going to be happening for a while, so this rotation is perfect!

Hi Candice.

I started this rotation yesterday, and finished day 2 a little while ago. I am really trying to stick with it, (I'm not that good at sticking to a rotation) but this one seems doable, so I am giving it a whirl! :)

So has anyone actually finished this rotation? I know I am late to the party but thinking I can do this. The hour long workouts make me dread them before even starting them. But 30-45 minutes is perfect. Just curious to see if anyone actually did the whole rotation.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.