Advice Request for Fitness Freak

cyclinggirl

Cathlete
Hi Fitness Freak,

I'm fairly new to the Cathe forums and looking for some specific advice. I've seen your posts and your photos and I'm inspired. You look incredible!! Congratulations on your continued success! Any insight you can give is greatly appreciated.

Some background about me...I've been active most of my life, started working with weights at age 11 and have been exercising, cycling, running, and weight training (intermittently) for the last 27 years. I have a healthy diet, I learned about nutrition after struggling as a fat kid.

Anyway, I'm 4 months pregnant with my first child now and have chosen to stop road racing and avoid risky road conditions -- I had a miscarriage last year and want this child to be as safe as possible. I ride once a week at a moderate pace on a hybrid, just to get out there and feel like I'm still involved. But I'm mostly doing weight training and aerobic work with Cathe's DVDs. I've been tracking my workouts over the last 6 weeks and I average 5-6 hours a week. Usually 1 hour a day, 1 day off, and 1 day that's a light short workout of 30 minutes.

I'd like some advice on how best to mix things up with my DVDs and training. I'd like to keep my weight gain steady but reasonable as the baby grows. I'm 5'6" and usually 128lbs during cycling season and 132-135lbs off season. As expected, without my intense cycling -- 125-200 miles a week -- my body doesn't resemble my top training physique. So my main goal for now is burn fat and tone my arms, shoulders, and back so they're closer to what I'm used to. I'm usually pretty ripped just from riding and push-ups/chin-ups (and some 3-5lb weights using a Bosu trainer). My legs will never look like they do without that much cycling, but I'm okay with that. I'm confident I can get them back later.

Oh, and it may help to know that my relatives are all overweight, so the adipose tissue seems to be creeping onto my body due to the pregnancy and what I assume are basic genetics...apart from diet and exercise. :-(

I own the following Cathe DVDs:
- Pyramid Upper and Lower (my fave)
- Drill Max (I do this and skip the jumping/hopping)
- Low impact step (don't like step too much)
- Kick Max (Just got this - love it!)

I have DVR recordings of these (no pre-mixes available):
- Stretch Max
- Push Pull (a favorite)
- Power Hour (love it)
- Core Max (don't expect to do this due to my pregnancy)

I also do:
- Bosu Basic video with 3-5lb hand weights (30 minutes)

I do the pyramids, push pull, and power hour with no more than 15lbs for dumbbells and I use a 24.5lb body bar (which is too thick, but too expensive not to use).

Any thoughts about how to rotate through these? I haven't worked with weights seriously in years and am not sure whether it's okay to do the aerobic DVDs that include weights, like Drill Max, the day after doing the Pyramids. Or should I focus strictly on aerobic and give myself a day or so off?

Thanks again for any thoughts you may have, I appreciate your input.

Best,
CG

Hey there, me again.

I'm happy to say that I downloaded "Burn the Fat" per your suggestion on another thread. I've decided to order Cathe's Gym Style Back, shoulders, biceps...I looked at it and it's just what I need. Has all the missing deltoid exercises that I've been doing on my own but aren't on my other DVDs.

So far my Kick Max, shoulder focused lighter weight workouts and some time off along with an improved diet have helped in a short time. I have a sleeveless shirt on today and feel good about my arms. They're not there yet, but definitely getting better!

The key is to let them rest, I think I was overdoing it with the weights and not resting and stretching enough.

Anyway, thanks for the hints, rotations, and clean eating advice.

Best,
CG

Hi Debbie,

I'd still love your advice if you're willing. That would be awesome. I see that many people are asking you for help so I understand that you're pretty busy. (You should have a paypal account so we can give you thank you donations for you advice!! Seriously.)

-CG

LOL! I do have a paypal account. And if anyone would like to donate, my pay account is [email protected] ! LOL! Kidding.

Anyways, give me a few days, I have a busy weekend and I'm not sure I'll get to your answer this weekend. :)

Well, if you ever set one up, I'm sure you'd make a tidy little side income! :)

Thanks again for the help and no worries about the timing, whenever you can squeeze it in. Enjoy the weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.