"Get Lean All Over" rotation (long)

ali234

Has anyone seen the rotation in the Sept. issue of shape magazine? The article is "Get Lean All Over." It is a 4 dimensional training program. It is designed by Stephen Holt, C.S.C.S,. a Lutherville, Md., fitness expert and the 2003 American Council on Exercise Personal Trainer of the Year. Because it blasts calories and builds strength in a variety of ways, it's a wake-up call for your cardiovascular system and muscles. (The Cathe intensity series tapes are good for this rotation!)

This is for a leaner, more sculpted body.

What you'll do: During the weeklong training, you'll do 2 days of steady-state cardio training (SSCT) ; 1-2 (2 for advanced) days of cardio interval training (CIT) ; 2 days of (entire-body) strength training (ST) on nonconsecutive days; and 1 day of power training (PT). For best results follow this program for at least 4 weeks.

For the cardio and power training workouts you'll gauge your intensity using the rate of perceived exertion (RPE). He lists what each RPE number means (I changed each RPE # to % of MHR since I recently bought a heart rate monitor for my spinning classes. I hope I did it correctly.)

His strength training workout is 5 multimuscle moves to build muscle. He says there is nothing wrong with targeting individual muscle groups, but if you always train that way, you neglect the core, stabilizing muscles that are the source of your body's strength. He has you do 2 sets for each exercise. I guess I have to find a few great compound muscle exercises using Cathe tapes. Maybe someone can come up with some exercises using Cathe's tapes in which she uses multimuscles. I know Firm tapes have a lot of mutlimuscle exercises. It states in the article to lift heavy enough weight to really stimulate muscle growth. Two exercises are 2 sets of 8-12 reps and three exercises are 2 sets of 12-14 reps. 60 secs between sets. Each rep takes 2 sec to execute and 4 sec to return to starting position. (So I have to be on the lookout for slow and heavy multimuscle exercises. I can do the ones in the magazine, but I rather use my exercise tapes) He listed: 1)lat pull-down (at the gym) for upper and middle back, rear shoulders and biceps; 2) one-legged lunge and row (at gym) for middle back, rear shoulders, and biceps; abs, spine extensors, upper hip, inner thighs, quads, hamstrings, and buttocks as stablizers; 3) leg press (at gym, but I can do it using a stool/step at home) for quads, hamstrings, and buttocks; inner thighs and upper thighs as stabilzers; 4) side-lunge press for quads, hamstrings, buttocks, inner thighs, upper hips, abs, spine extensors, shoulders and upper back; and 5) reciprocal chest press (on a stability ball.... and man do I love the stabilitiy ball) for chest, front shoulders, and triceps; abs, and spine extensors as stabilizers.

This is his rotation:
Monday: SSCT #1 and ST
Tuesday: off
Wednesday: CIT #1
Thursday off
Friday: SSCT #2
Saturday: ST and PT
Sunday: CIT #2 (for advanced) or day off

I may change it because I would probably want ST and PT on different days. I may do the PT on one of the off days.

The artice has the details on what to do for each workout (all 4 types). For the SSCT I may use the treadmill. The SSCT workouts are easy-to moderate level workouts. When you exercise at this intensity, you're able to keep at it longer (so your metabolism is raised longer) and improve your endurance. "it gives you a chance to recover from your harder workouts and teaches your body how to burn more fat"

CIT is alternating high-intensity bouts with low-intensity recovery segments. IMAX and IMAX 2 would be great or I can using exercise machines. Some of my spinning classes are CIT. These are the tough cardios for the week!

PT is needed because when you lift weights or workout on a cardio machine, your body typically moves in a linear way: up and down, forward and back, out and in. What you rarely do is rotate your body, and as a result, "you're only working about 50% of your muscle fibers." The power moves are designed to work portions of your muscles that are neglected (especially abs and lower abs). It states to perform 30 seconds of each power move with as much intensity as you can then recover by walking or marching in place for 90 seconds.Repeat each move 3-4 times using the same 30:90 second work-to-recovery ratio before going to the next move. (I am so glad I at least try to do one kickboxing type of class per week. You do get a great workout when you have to rotate your body. One just has to make sure she uses proper form.) The boot Camp tape would be great for this. The four superintense moves listed in the article are 1)turning squat jump, 2) side-to-side tap-down lunge (on step), 3) split rear lunges (on step), and 4)side-to-side slalom hop

This is probably what I will do:
Mon: SSCT on treadmill (or other machine)for 40 minutes (pm) and ST (maybe I'll do the 4 compound weight moves on the Cardio and Weights tape and maybe the step ups from PS legs...I think there also are compound strength moves in Circuit Max)(am)
Tues: off/stretching/yoga
Wed: CIT #1(IMAX, IMAX 2, spinning, or I could do it on a cardio machine for 34 minutes)
Thurs: ST (same as mon.)
Fri: SSCT on treadmill 55 min
Sat: PT (I'll probably choose 4 cardios from the 8 cycles in BOOT CAMP and maybe do each one 3 times with the same work-to-recovery ratio as in the article. Since most power moves last about a minute in Boot Camp, I'll probably recover for 3 minutes between moves by marching at about 55-60% of my MH OR maybe I could just do a kickboxing tape that has quite a bit of power moves)
Sun: CIT #2(Circuit Max, but in between high intensity cardio intervals I could do low intensity cardio or just do the compound strength moves with little or no weight; spinning; or I could do it on a cardio machine for 38 minutes)

CIT #1 in article :
four intervals of 3 minute high intensity and 3 minutes of moderate intensity

CIT #2:
four intervals of 5 minutes high intensity and 2 minutes of low intensity

I mentioned this just in case anyone wants to do CIT outside or using machines.

Alicia

PS I like this issue of Shape because they give great info on metabolism mysteries!

The only probably with my rotation is that I need some of the tapes!!!

RE: "Get Lean All Over" rotation (long)

Thanks for calling my attention to this article, Alicia. I had completely skipped over it. I was reading an article in M&FH (Sept/Oct issue) re: how to mix cardio and wts in the proper order for max results and had decided to try it out. The Shape article/rotation can fit into my plans with a couple of modifications. :7

OK, now I'm excited!!!

RE: "Get Lean All Over" rotation (long)

Robin,
Let me know what you end up doing.

Alicia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.