I need help!!!

pema

I am in trouble here, ladies!! I am 5'5' and 200 pounds, having gained 20 of it in the last year. Two years ago I had to have my 2nd knee surgery and have just not bounced back. I am walking 2 miles twice a week, but that is about all now. My knee still gives me grief and I have to wear a brace to do the walking, but it gets done. My biggest problem is time and probably motivation (because don't they say you find time if you have motivation?). I am work 6 hours a day in a job that has a pretty strict turn-around time. By the time I'm done with that, the family is home and wanting dinner, time, etc. This week I'm busy planning a very hetic suprise party, so will not have any time to really start anything until the 15th or so. I have a zillion tapes, but not the new Cathe's (I have preordered the new beginners step/scupt DVD), including older Cathe, Firm, Leslie Sansone, Kari Anderson, Kathy Smith, and even some Denise Austin. I used to love Cathe's step, but I'm afraid it's probably too hard for me now (I'd love to do Wedding Tape again!!), and there's that time thing. I have been trying to find workouts 30 minutes or less, for both the time factor and my now out-of-condition factor. I've basically been trying to ride my recumbant bike and maybe do a few reps out of Joyce Vedral's 12-minute workout book.

I am trying to watch my diet. My doc is willing to let me try phentermine if I want. I feel the answer has to lie in finding something that I can be successful with in terms of diet and exercise. I have tried Atkins, South Beach, Dr. Phil, etc. and do really good at the beginning of the week.

We are going to the Carribean at the end of April and I'm afraid I'm not looking forward to it much. The week on the sailboat would be nice if I could at least look decent in a swimsuit.

This is long enough...if anybody has ANY suggestions at all I would be so appreciative. It's becoming obvious that I'm not doing so great on my own.

Thanks! Peg

Hi Peg,
First let me say that I have zero personal experience here, but I have read raves from many people about spinning, including the author of "Ultimate Fitness" In fact there is currently a thread on the open forum called "Johnnie G. Infomercial" and it talks about the Johnnie G. spinning bike on QVC. I believe Johnnie G. invented spinning.

I don't know what your space/$$ considerations might be, but if you can, this may be something to think about as it is very gentle on the knees. I know that some gyms have spinning classes. If there is one near you that has a beginner's class, you may be able to get a guest pass and try it out.

-joy

Thanks, Joy...I hadn't really thought of spinning, but my doc says the bike is gentler so it would stand to reason...I will go check out that thread!

Peg

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.