Where to start? New to Cathe

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. A little background on me - I am 24yo female, and I would say a beginner exerciser. A few years ago I was working out pretty consistently with the FIRM dvds, which I enjoyed, but in a cross-country move I lost all of them.

I'm really wanting to get back to doing my workouts after making some very positive changes in my life (I have quit smoking and also given up alcohol after some personal issues with it - I have been smoke-free and sober for about 7 months now). I am interested in starting with the Cathe workouts now, but I am kind of confused on where/how to start - what videos should I buy, what equipment, etc. I am pretty sure I will love her vids after watching some youtube previews, but I am also a college student on a budget too so I don't have *too* much money to spend.

Any advice/recommendations? Also are these boards pretty active for check-ins and the like?

Hi Candiceena,

I just started doing Cathe DVDs only a few months ago. I would probably defer to some of the more veteran Cathletes here as to where you should start, but wanted to respond to keep your post near the top of this section.

As for equipment, I don't have a lot of space for storage, so I try to keep everything to a minimum. However, I think there are just a few inexpensive things that, if you had them, would allow you to do a whole range of Cathe DVDs.

1) one set of light weights (3-5 lbs) and one set of moderate/heavy weights (8-10lbs)
2) a stretch band
3) a Firewalker loop
4) Slide/Glide discs
5) And if you have extra cash or want to give someone a gift idea for you, a full-sized step with two sets of risers

Items 1-4 are not expensive and don't take up a lot of space. However, it gives you quite a bit flexibility to do a variety of Cathe's DVDs.

The board overall is active and Check-ins and Challenges seems to be a fairly active area of the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I only started with Cathe at the end of Oct. I've already accumulate way too many videos (XTrain preorder, Low Impact Series bundle, Shock Cardio bundle, Hardcore bundle, STS, High Reps, To the Max, STS Total Body). It's really addictive...be careful!

I love love love LIS. I did step for years and forgot how much I loved it. The step workouts in LIS are more athletic than dancy. There are so many great workouts in this bundle! I really love High Reps as a total body weight workout.

I agree with the poster above re: equipment. I have a teeny tiny space and am able to do most everything with minimal modification.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Welcome and congratulations on taking such positive steps toward your health and fitness! You'll find a lot of help and wise advice in this forum.

Can you tell us what kind of workouts you like? Cathe makes such a variety it would help to know what you most like to do. Also, do you already have any equipment?

There are tons of options for little investment.

No equipment needed: MMA all 3, Kickmax, Cardio Core Circuit, Yoga Max, Yoga Relax

Green 6' band: Travel Fit
Fire walker band and chair: lower body premix of Turbo Barre
Fire walker band and light wts: Turbo Barre, Cross Fire
Fire walker band and discs: Slide and Glide
Discs and wts: After Burn, Cardio Super Sets

This is just a start. There are many more but I'll have to look through my collection.

Hi Candiceena,

You have picked a great instructor to begin exercising with. The great thing is she has a lot of variety in her workouts so there is so much to choose from. A couple questions..

What are your fitness goals?
Do you have any physical limitations (bad knees, etc) that you need to take into consideration?
Is there anything you are absolutely bad at? For me it's complex choreography.

I can make a better suggestion once I know these things. Cathe has something for everyone.

Look forward to hearing from you. I commend you on your new lifestyle. It's "balls to the wall" hard work, congrats!! You will find that physical fitness will fortify your commitment to sobriety. Not to mention its totally empowering!

Best,
Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

Thanks for the feedback ladies...sorry it took some time for me to respond, I have been very busy with holidays and starting a new job!

Anyway...to answer some questions: equipment-wise, I have some hand weights, some resistance bands, one resistance band with handles, and am open to purchasing some lower-priced items like a stability ball and a firewalker. I really want to stay away from anything with a barbell because something that large in size is just not realistic for me and won't be for a while, due to space constraints.

As far as things I like/am good at, I really enjoy the step workouts but I kind of have two left feet. I used to do some of the older FIRM workouts and enjoyed those. Anything too terribly dance-y is not good for me, unless the time is taken to teach the steps.

I do enjoy lifting weights, I do not enjoy tabata/HiiT workouts (or maybe with Cathe, I would enjoy them...who knows? I have tried the FIRM 30-Day Express which is compromised of 20 minute tabata style workouts and I did not like it at all).

I don't have any limitations, but I think I would like her low impact series just to be able to use to PREVENT future injuries. Bad knees really run in my family. Also I am interested in doing more yoga/pilates/ballet style workouts. I see Cathe has some of these. I would also like to try some stretching.

Thanks alot again ladies for the feedback. I actually just got in the mail today my first Cathe DVD - the "Basic Step + Body Fusion" and am very excited to try it out. :D

As far as goals go, my main goal right now is fat loss.

Last edited:
Hi Candiceena,

I started with that same basic workout video - it's a great one to start with. I don't know what weight your handweights are, but many of the low impact series - namely Slide n Glide, Turbo Barre, Cardio Supersets, Afterburn and the Yoga DVD's use limited equipment and none in the series use a barbell. Many people just substitute dumbells for barbell work and it is just fine.

Once I got used to the Beginning step workout, I went to Cathe's site and viewed video clips for everything. The clips on the site are quite long and will give you a very good idea of what the workouts will involve.

You should check the clips out and see what appeals to you.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Elizabeth

I don't have a barbell and use dumbbells for everything and have been able to do the weight training DVDs that I have from Cathe (STS Total Body, Muscle Max, and High Reps).

Maybe consider Supercuts from her new XTrain series? It's also a low impact workout.

I have quite a few of the Low Impact Series and enjoy them all even though I also like high impact workouts.

If you like Step, you might try Athletic Step. It's not too dancey.

Many of her clips are longer than just a couple of minutes, which will give you a good idea of what her other workouts are like.

I just did my first ever Cathe workout - the Basic Step! I was so impressed with it. The cuing is great, and she really takes time in that DVD to teach the moves and gives ample "practice" time, something that was missing from past DVDs I've tried out. I really really enjoyed that workout. I'm so happy I found Cathe and these forums, you gals are really great for your advice and everything!

I also did about 10 minutes of the Upper Body Sculpt add-on, just to get some weights in and see what it was like and I was extremely impressed with that as well. There were some times in the DVD that I had to just march in place because I either lost my place in the step combo or needed a breather but I am very excited to continue working out with Cathe!

Hi candiceena,

Welcome to cathe's forum . I am so glad you are loving her workout. There is a lot of us who are committed and loyal to working out her at the comfort of our home regardless of the space availability.
I started almost six years ago.
What I would add to what has been posted is set your goals, plan your rotation in advance , try various type of workout and routine to avoid boredom and once you have gained some fitness knowledge look on the website and preview cathe's clips and description to choose work out you really like.
In my case it has happened I love almost the entire collection. Not beginners ones as I'd started beginners routines mainly cardio prior to joining cathe nation.

All the very best,

Given what you said you like and the equipment you have, you might like Athletic Training from the Low Impact Series. It starts with a non-dancy step section (um, it's challenging!) and then moves on to total body sculpting...I can't remember all the equipment that's used, although I know at least one move uses tubing....her website usually lists the different equipment for each video and if it's something you don't have, you can always modify.

You sound so much like me when I first found Cathe. Except I love HiiT and Tabata. :). This is how the Cathe addiction begins. FYI, I now own almost every one of her workouts (except about 4 which I know I'll never use). I remember how confused I was when I first started out, though, because there are so many workouts to choose from. That's why these forums are great....lots of help and good advice!

Hopefully you're aware of Cathe's deal of the day and coupons, which is a much less expensive way to add to your collection.

Enjoy!

Hi there! So it sounds like you have a step, correct? If that's the case, I also recommend Athletic Training from LIS. Actually Cardio Supersets has a bonus step section too and that is a great one to start out with as well. Afterburn is awesome but pretty tough, so you might have to work up to that one! :eek: Since you mentioned you were interested in getting more barre workouts you'd probably love TurboBarre from LIS as well.

Crossfire and To the Max are two of my favorites (with great music!) and AMAZING calorie scorchers! They might be a little tough for you right now, but if you really want some weight/fat loss those are incredible :eek:. Of course, if I could do those several times a week I would but I need to keep my Hiit type workouts to 2 times a week or less. ;)

Since you have a resistance band, you would probably love Travel Fit. Many great band exercises and the cardio is low impact. Good stuff!

For lower body Lower Body Blast and Butts and Guts are great. She uses a barbell in some parts but I always sub with dumbells. I think there was only one move in LBB that was a little awkward with the dumbells but otherwise it was fine. Oh and the lower body portion of LIS Trisets is terrific! Actually, if I were you I'd just get the whole LIS bundle. LOL :eek:

XTrain is also proving to have some great workouts that aren't super killer. I'm going to do the Low Impact Hiit today and on preview that looked awesome as well.

It's going to be hard to stop buying Cathe once you start! :p

I'll second or third that you can sub dumbells for pretty much any barbell moves. I've been doing Cathe workouts on and off for over ten years and just started using a barbell this week. Now I wish I'd started using it sooner, but if space is a limitation, you definitely don't need one.

Hi ladies,

I thought I had posted a thank you earlier but I guess I didn't! :) I just wanted to thank you all for your help. I am proceeding slowly but surely with doing my workouts and have been checking the daily deal frequently to see what DVDs are available!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.