Check your tubing...

horsing around

Cathlete
I was having a heck of a time using the tubing (with handles) I had with any of the exercises that went above my shoulders. I just couldn't pull it like Cathe and crew did, so normally subbed with weights.

Anyway, I found a Cathe tube I must have ordered and forgot about, so I pulled it out. Guess what? It is approximately a foot longer than the one I had been using...no wonder I was struggling so much!

The one I had been using was approximately 57 inches and I am 5'4". The Cathe one is closer to 70 inches. Wanted to share in case some of you are having the same problem...it may not be you at all :eek:.

Lisa

Thanks for sharing this! I actually have a lot of resistance tubes--purchased through Beachbody, Oxygen and another place (can't remember the name). I thought it was odd that they managed to stay with the same tube throuhgout and I was constantly switching my tube out to different resistence levels. I think I'll just buy the one on Cathe's site so I can have all of the same equipment that she is using.

:eek: OMG! This explains SOOO much. I have the red tube (heavy resistance) from Cathe. I thought I could somehow make this work. It is only 57 inches, so not only was I struggling with greater resistance, I was dealing with a shorter tube. It nearly killed me .... :(
I'm going to get a new, medium tube right now. Good gracious; I even had the tubing slip off my feet and slap me in the face. :mad:
Heavy Red tube for Pulldowns only from now on.

bonjonbart;2184440Good gracious; I even had the tubing slip off my feet and slap me in the face. :mad: Heavy Red tube for Pulldowns only from now on.[/QUOTE said:
Dude that sucks! I hope you weren't too hurt. I have hurt myself lots but it is just a matter of being clumsy for me. :eek:
The Cathe tube is the best of all the tubes I have with nice handles and an excellant price.

Dude that sucks! I hope you weren't too hurt. I have hurt myself lots but it is just a matter of being clumsy for me. :eek:
The Cathe tube is the best of all the tubes I have with nice handles and an excellant price.

Fortunately, I wear eye glasses and it bounced off my lenses, but left me with sore nose. Honest to goodness! Of all the things that could happen while working out, I get smacked by a big rubber band. :D

Ooooohhhhhh!:eek: I also have the red tubing. I just measured and, sure enough, it's 57 inches. No wonder I was dying on the triceps exercise. I thought it was just because the red was "heavy" instead of "medium."

We need an icon for smacking your forehead.;)

Okay, edited to add that I was measuring the actual tubing part, not including the handle. My red Cathe tubing is 70 inches from outside of handle to outside of handle. I guess I need to work up to that tricep exercise.

Last edited:
Are you measuring from outside end of handle to the other outside end? Because the Cathe one I found is the red one and mine is closer to 70 inches from end to end. Hope that helps.

Lisa

Are you measuring from outside end of handle to the other outside end? Because the Cathe one I found is the red one and mine is closer to 70 inches from end to end. Hope that helps.

Lisa

Yes, if I measure the entire tube from the very outside end of one handle to the outside end of the other handle, I get 59 inches. It is definitely labeled "heavy", too.

OMG, thank you so much for posting this I don't remember which workout it was but I couldn't for the life of me get the tubing to stretch over my head and had to sub. I figured it was the tubing because I should have been able to do it.

I also got smacked in the face from my tubing, the first time it was fine and then the 2nd time the tubing rolled from under my feet and hit me in the face.

I have seen Cathe's tubing at Ross's all aroubd town, may need to switch for hers then.

Thanks again for posting this :)

Lisa

It did help. I was only measuring the tubing. My red one is 70 inches from outside end of handle to the other outside end. :eek:

Yes, thanks so much for posting this...I just measured my blue tubing and it's only 60 inches! I was thinking I must be some kind of wimp!

Lisa,
Thanks for this post. I just got my blue altus resistance tubing (not with cathe on it). I could not do burn set triceps because mine is 10" shorter. I wish I would have read this before I bought mine. At least I know ai am not wimpy!

Melissa

And this remidns me of the thread we had the other day about taller lifters: that same resistance tubing Cathe and crew use is going to provide way more resistance to me at 5' 8" than it does to them! 12 extra inches in total, both arms, and then there's the fact that taller people have longer arms.......

Still I haven't even tried that exercise yet....

Clare

Clare,
Interesting, I wasn't even thinking in terms of height. me being 5'8" will add more resistance .
I emailed shop cathe and they said the blue tubing is 60". So, I am going to try putting the tube under my back leg while it is on the step. I posted in ask cathe for modifications.
Thanks, Melissa

The newer blue tube bands are shorter than the older ones. I ordered the blue about 2 yrs ago and my friend just recently bought one , both from shopcathe.com. Hers is shorter than mine. I would rather have the shorter one.,,,lol!! I use the red 'heavy' tube for most exercises in xtrain

Both of my red and blue tubes are 6'. I ordered them about 2 yrs ago. The blue tube is 15 lb resistance and the red is 20lbs. I do know the blue tube is now shorter. I think it's 5 ft. I don't really use my blue, primarily use the red since it has a heavier resistance. But the new blue tubes are harder since they are shorter

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.