Low Carbers & Friends - 1st Qtr - 2014

Shadow

Cathlete
Happy New Year, everyone :). Decided to do another thread - maybe I'll just post them quarterly ;).

Hope you all had wonderful holidays!

Gosh, we are just Chatty Cathys aren't we? Not much happening yet in this new year. I've been concentrating on trying to get things done and not too many at once. (otherwise, nothing would get finished, just worked on!) So far nothing is quite finished, but I'm making headway. Got the list started for today and have high hopes to cross at least one thing off the darn list. :)

Rhea - Getting to cross off an item is a great thing :cool:! The more the merrier, right :p? When does that new BFFM challenge begin?

Actually the official opening for registration has already started. Me and my team are not starting until almost the end, either the 12th or the 13th. I guess we had better decide!

Rhea - Is this the same group you've always done the challenge with? Gosh - how many times have you done this now? All I can say is good for you :D!!!! Talk about consistency :cool:!

Happy New Year babes! Thank you for starting our new thread Lita!

I'm back on the LI/XT rotation as of today after a 3 week break. I did workout last week, but had to work myself up to the rotation again--this week is a hard one! (Week 3)

I looked at Cathe's Jan. rotation and I won't be doing it. I thought about it, even copied it to Word, and now it's not appealing to me! :p:D

Rhea, how long is the BFFM challenge? Good luck with it!!!!

I did make a new year's resolution this year but it has nothing to do with fitness. I want to read more and play solitaire less! :cool: At least I have a little more to show from reading than I do playing solitaire! :)

Have a great week babes!!

Tracy - So glad to see you :cool:! Reading is awesome, IMHO :D!!!! My favorite thing to do :).

Melinda - Hope you're okay back there :confused:!!!!!

Rhea - Maybe you should add chatting with us to that never-ending "to-do" list :p ;)!

Lita, thanks for starting the new thread. I like the idea of doing it quarterly.

So we are just coming out of the -40 degree wind chill weather. Oh, it is/was awful. Suppose to get close to 50 this weekend, which is crazy. My son works at UPS and his drinking water froze at work, it was so cold in the trailers.

I just finished up the 90 day XT challenge. OK, I made it the 120 day challenge, because I drag those things out, but it is done and put away. So now I'm just doing a mix and match. This week I'm doing S&H and then adding in different cardio. I'll just do this for a few months, will get me to use some dvds I haven't in awhile.

Friday the 10th, I take my RN boards test. Been studying during the Christmas break from work. Will let you all know how it goes. Also, interviewed for an occupational nurse position. It will be PRN, so I will have flexibility. May turn into full time, but not sure if I will like it or not. This gives me a chance to see what the job will really be like.

Melinda - I am so glad you're okay :D!!! I just know you'll do exceptionally well on those boards :cool:! Good luck with that job interview - it would be great to get it so you can start testing the waters! We are alike in so many ways - except the rotation length :p. I can stick to the XT rotation longer than others because there's variety. But the LI series (which I'm doing now) has fewer workouts and therefore less option. 4 weeks is gonna be it for me. (I did XT the month before). So after that, I'll combine the two for a month and see how it goes.

And you and Tracy are both welcome :D! (Forgot to say that to Tracy :eek:...) I, too, think quarterly is the best until we become a lot more chatty ;).

Lita, I was actually getting tired of XT, I knew I needed to do something else. I am doing 4 day split this week. I always liked those workouts too. I want to pull out more of my workouts I haven't done in a long time. I've got some of Tracie Long's workouts that might be a nice change of pace as well. I'm also mixing in yoga and pilates. Oh, as for rotations, doing the STS one was the first rotation I could ever stick to. And I felt XT was easy because I liked them so much and they weren't long. Any workout over 60 minutes gives me the dread factor.

Took my test on Fri, just waiting on results. Also waiting to hear what the pay would be for the PRN position. Do you ever go to a interview and wonder if you blew it? I just asked so many questions, when I left I wondered what she thought of me on the second meeting. It was specific questions about protocol with the job. Well, if it's not meant to be and they never call back, then I just move on.

DH and I just bought airline tickets to FL so we can visit his dad. Will be nice to go somewhere warm. And will be good to go before I get a possible job.

Melinda - Fingers crossed for both the test and the job :cool:! I'm sure you did an excellent job on the test and as you said, if the job is meant to be, then it will happen, too :). I'll bet FL sounds really good after the winter you've been having :eek:! I think my workout tastes have changed again. Old favorites are no longer ones I look forward to - and other workouts I never cared for now appeal to me :rolleyes:. Oh well - at least I'm getting variety in, right ;)? But as for sticking to any rotation anymore, forget it :eek:.... 2 or 3 weeks max and I wanna move on....

Rhea - CA hasn't snapped off the country and disappeared, has it?

Tracy - How's it going up in WA?

No, CA is still here. I was off most of last week for DH's knee surgery. All is well, just was very tiring since it was in Tahoe. At least the weather was very nice, too nice for this time of year, but I was happy I didn't have to drive in the snow.

BFFM 2014 winter challenge started for me and my team yesterday. Boy were those pictures eye opening. Wine sure has a way of sneaking up on the fat cells. Yuck. Be gone! I wish it was that easy. Started my own little rotation today. Did PS, chest, shoulders and triceps. I was going to switch off to slow and heavy next week, but I think I'll repeat this week next week. Enjoyed doing the PS in the wee hours of the morning. I think since I haven't done any type of heavy weight work for a while, it would be good to keep consistent and then mix it up. I thought about doing the whole STS for the challenge, but I think I'll start that during the second 30 days. I had to use some lighter weights this morning, boy, that was disappointing, but not unexpected.

Okay, back to catching up with work. Talk to you later everyone

ps. Melinda - i'm sure you will pass with flying colors on both the test and the job interview.

Rhea - So glad you're okay :D! PS is a great early morning workout - short and sweet :). I'm with Melinda about not wanting to do the longer workouts anymore. I sometimes think S&H has gotten too long, too :eek:....

Hi babes! Time sure flies!! That's a bad thing when I think it hasn't been but a few days since I was here last and wow--it's been weeks! :(

I thought of you during that awful weather Melinda and I'm glad you got through it OK! I thought if might have gotten to you too Lita....

Melinda, I think asking alot of questions in an interview is a good thing--you are interested in the company. Have you heard anything yet? And I am sure you did wonderfully on your Boards. I even know what PRN means--I've read medical records for quite a few years now. :) when are you going to FL?

CA is definitely still there because we are playing a championship football game this Sunday against the 49ers. So--I have to say it Rhea--GO SEAHAWKS!! We've got Hawk fever bad up here.... :p

I hope DH has been a good patient in his recovery Rhea! Good luck on your BFFM challenge!! Don't let wine get in the way of your goals! I can't believe I just said that, I always let wine get in the way of my goals! :D

Still on the XT/LI rotation. I really like it but I'm only finishing up week 4. Oh! I am doing a stair climb challenge next Sunday, the 26th, in Portland. I could climb up to 160 flights but I only registered for 80. We'll see how I feel. I've been doing some stair climbing locally to get ready but I don't want to ignore everything else so I'm not. I overdid it last week and my calves hurt for days. But nothing else did so I must be doing some things right. Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.

Later fit babes!

Last edited:
Tracy - OMW :eek:!!!! You are far more cardio-fit than I am if you're even thinking of doing those steps :D! But of course, my hip wouldn't let me do that anyway. By about flight 5 I'd be in agony :eek:....

I told everyone here and my sister they had to root for the Seahawks so if they didn't win you can't blame me :p!

BTW - does anyone know what JFO stands for in the LI series :confused:? On the TBT upper/lower dvd, the premixes have JFO exercises...

Also - has anyone done the step/weights bonus on LI LIC?

This is my 4th week of LI (the 4 weeks before were XT). I was going to do XT/LI the next 4 weeks but may do another 4 week cycle of each series by themselves instead.

I have figured out that the reason I feel overtrained on these - especially on LI - is that I'm trying to go too heavy on the endurance based workouts. I think if I go lighter on the weights on those and just go heavy on the actual strength workouts that I'll be better off.

Just for what all that's worth :p ;)....

Hey there! JFO? I'll have to look at the series to see if I can decode it. I haven't a clue right now.

Seahawks, huh? PFFT. Oh well, better luck next year for us 49ers.

I've been steadily doing the Pure strength series along with a few total body thrown in. I did Flex train and then Afterburn. Probably shouldn't have done them right in a row, but I did.

Okay, back to work for me.

OK, so like Tracy, I can't believe how long it's been since I was here last. I did pass the boards and have my RN nursing license :) I never heard back from the second interview. I'm not totally giving up, since I know at the moment they don't need anyone to be PRN, I think the spring is when someone was going on maternity leave. I think I'll contact them Monday to follow up.

Lita, I don't know what that JFO means, but I like what Rhea said. I don't think I've done any of the premixes for LI series. And I agree, you have to go lighter. I just did GS legs today and just used 20# total for squats, but she was going fast on reps. No need to hurt myself...and for what? As long as I'm functionally fit and can maintain my strength and flexibility, I'm good.

Rhea, I hope your DH is doing well after surgery. I wish it was warm here. We are getting blasted again with super cold weather. Basically, this winter stinks! It's been constant snow or super cold. I was walking into work, talking and the wind actually took my breath away, I stopped mid sentence and couldn't talk. Weird!

Tracy, we're going to FL in Feb in a few weeks. It should be mid 60's there, which will be a heat wave for us! They will all be bundled in winter coats, lol :)

Lita, I am just randomly picking workouts, S&H is not appealing. I did it one week and couldn't repeat it another week. It just feels like an older workout, I like the newer songs in the latest workouts I have. Oh, and a lot of the older workouts have tricep work with the weights over my head and arms up in the air. That, I have found, really hurts my neck, so I have to modify more with the older workouts.

Hi ladies I am a Lerner of your thread once in a while so I wanted to answer your question , I read somewhere that JFO means joint friendly option!!
Hope that helps! Have a nice night

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.