Strong & Sensible

Another ride today > 1 hour ish and a Cathe TTM Hiit 30/20, working tomorrow! I did wear a helmet again today. Ronne, I'm sorry about your dh friend. Today's ride I went to a park that has a lake where people ski and stuff and has a longish paved multi use trail. You know how lizards scamper out in front of you across the sidewalk? Same thing only big iguanas!

Hi everyone! I’m re starting STS, have to get rid of my extra padding.

Jody, do you happen to squish any of the lizards with your bike? I imagine that would feel disgusting! I once was mowing the lawn, I murdered a whole bunny family when they stuck their heads up to see what was happening. I sobbed and sobbed.

Oh, got the new car on Friday, on Monday DH was at a stop sign, got nailed my 2 cars trying to avoid each other, found him. He’s absolutely fine, thank goodness. Car not so much, thank goodness they had insurance.

Ronne, it does look like a fun movie! Youngest DS wants me to go see Godzilla tomorrow, I’m thinking it would be a good time to nap?

Lisa, is your weather warming up? We have had torrential rain, no tornados here thankfully.

Well, we made reservations for DS’s graduation for next year. I was so grateful to find a B&B for a reasonable rate, Holiday Inn Express was $569 for 3 night minimum, insanity. Don’t know what we will have for lunch and planning so far in advance is crazy!

Hi Tracey!

Hope everyone has a good day! Mary

Hi everyone, we had a hail storm a couple nights ago in the middle of the night. I was up with suki from 1 to 5 am, poor thing was petrified, finally went back to bed at 5.30 and slept until 8.30! Weather warming up now so we took a short ride today. Something must be in the air because my eyes hurt now.

Jody, my brother (Juan sec on strava) and try to come up with fun ride names and generally give each other crap. He’s a beast on the bike! You have lizards and iguanas that run out and almost get run over, we have prairie dogs and bunnies.

Mary, that’s a horrible bunny story! Once I was walking my son’s dog , another shiba inu like suki) and she caught a baby bunny and killed it, ack! Glad the tornados missed you, this crazy spring weather! Are you saying new car got in accident now! I got confused.

Ronne, lol, you’re going to be an interesting empty nester .

Bunny-wise, Mary that is awful you must have been horrified. Car-wise -Your hubby is ok, I'm happy about that! But I'm so sorry about car, is it a total loss, slightly blemished or somewhere in between? Congrats on getting something for grad, that is crazy $$$. Well done on getting it locked in right now! Let us know how the STS goes and how you utilize the system!

Lisa, LOL, at calling Ronne soon to be interesting empty nester. Is your hubby home full time now? My last two rides were more urban and with helmet and mid day hot. I feel a little fraud with helmet, like a hippy in a tuxedo. I thought of you when I went by the lake with the ski boats. I think guidelines are stricter around kids pulling skiers these days.

Ronne, how goes crazy work? Is DD likely to move out over summer or still just wait and see what options she has? I'm guessing she will get her choice of Uni.

I wouldn't mind seeing Godzilla, but currently planning on Aladdin this weekend. DD and I saw that theater production while in London! I don't actually run over any lizards, but they run across the sidewalks as I approach for no apparent reason. Some of the iguanas at the park were 4 ft long from head to tail. Sheex.
I did Low Max this morning...used first combo as a warm up and during the 4th combo I subbed body weight work. Nothing like an oldie but goody to realize how out of shape I am. LM was one of my first Cathe's ever and I remember Aquagirl or someone like that from the forums who did it with weights in her hands and I thought, oh yeah, that's a good idea I'll try that.

Waves to all!

Last edited:
Hi all

Jody - iguanas running out in front of you? How amazing. DD won't go till uni starts in mid-Sept. Good work on the helmet :D That's funny about Low Max, I bet I'd struggle through it now.

Mary - oh, yuck! What a horrible story. You poor thing. That must be some garden to get rabbits in it! So glad to hear that DH is OK, even if car isn't. What bad luck. That's crazy about the graduation. I don't like being forced into planning that far ahead. Good luck with STS - you're brave!!

Lisa - that's the good thing about not working anymore, at least you didn't have to get up the next morning.

Did a bit of shopping yesterday. Bought myself some new t-shirts. Did two hour long yoga sessions over the weekend and today did a TTM premix. Felt good. Enjoying a bit of decent weather at the moment. DH and I went for a walk on Sat afternoon, just ambling through the fields round about.

I’ve been feeling lazy, tired but pushing myself out to ride and then I surprise myself how well I get up the hills and feel so much better for having done it!

Jody, we feel like fraudsters too. We have the nice bike, shorts, jerseys, helmets, clip in shoes and then we’re carting around this dog! If people have a problem with it it’s their problem! Yes DH is home, enjoying having stress free life. He did say he needs to find another project (he’s been puttering around with all our computers, yard stuff, etc) I could see him driving a school bus for something to do, but then we have the drug test problem. So that’s out, who’d have thunk it?!

Mary, so dh got in accident in new car? That’s some bad luck, I thought I surely was reading it wrong!

Ronne, that sounds like Dh and me, except on wheels. We always wanted to cycle the trails but thought my neck couldn’t do it with the posture in a bike. I’m so glad my ankle messed itself up! Speaking of ankle, it started hurting again, I pin pointed it to too much walking barefoot on hardwood floor! That extra bone in my ankle tendon and older age is making this all fiddly (does that sound British?)

Good morning! Have been doing STS, I forgot about all those dang pushups!

Jody, LowMax is a long one! I haven’t done that in years! Damage to his car was in between, insurance company of the driver that hit him is “investigating “ before we can get it fixed. Frustrating.

Lisa, funny about DH! (About the drug test!). You so much enjoy hanging out together!

Ronne, 2 hours of yoga? Straight? You must have been like string cheese! All long and loose!

Hi Tracey!

Well, prayers for youngest DS, he has an interview with NASA tomorrow for a summer internship! It’s in their machine area, he’s so excited and I’m so nervous!
Hope everyone has a good day! Mary

Mary, Prayers!!! He wouldn't come here to Canaveral would he? : O
I did a triathalon on Sunday, met up with a friend, rode to beach, bobbed in ocean for hours (swim), 16 miles round trip bike ride to park (bike) where we walked boardwalk to inter-coastal (run). Worked Mon Tues Wed.
Lisa, good for you getting out there for rides, are you up for more hiking or not with your ankle?
Ronne, walk with DH sounds especially nice, I watched Amazing Race, I'm all in for hiking, esp Switzerland, have you been there?
What will day off bring??
ETA Day off brought PHA2 TS and about 10 miles on bike doing little errands. Full disclosure - I only did half of LM and modified at that!
Hi Tracy~~

Last edited:
Hi all

Lisa - I didn't realise DH was retired now, I must have missed a post. Almost British - fiddly means difficult and intricate - like trying fasten a bracelet with a small clasp or something.

Mary - no, it was an hour per day! I think two hours would be too much for me now! Good luck to youngest DS, hope he gets it.

Jody - sounds like a fun triathlon (if such a thing could ever exist ;)). No, I've only been to Switzerland once to visit a friend. It is absolutely beautiful.

Did FS Kickbox in amongst the yoga this week. Going to a food festival tomorrow, hope the weather's OK, we've had heavy rain here today.

Hi girls! Good news! First some background.....I spent friday night with sis, it was finally a normal feeling of chatting with her. She asked me to go to bingo at her new senior low income housing, I used my new empowerment skills to tell her no thanks. I've always been one to have a hard time saying no, especially when pressured (asked multiple times which she always does) and probably because I feel guilty because she has no one else. Well, I said no! She remarked how could I not want to go again a few days later and I told her, it would be like her sewing with me, she doesn't like sewing even though I do. The same goes the other way, she likes bingo, me not so much. Plus (I didn't say this) I want to NOT be there all the time and hopefully she finds her way with friends, especially in this new apartment. She did introduce me to a few older ladies friday night at her apartment (they sit and work on puzzles in the open area). So she is making friends. Sometimes I wonder if Mom enabled her too much and she became dependant on mom and that transferred to me after mom died? She was always over there every weekend, going on vacations with mom and dad, well into her 40s! I hope that explains the history. ANYWAY THE GOOD NEWS! MY BP seems to be back to where it was prior to all this drama of the last year!!!!!!! I had already cut some of the dosage back to almost my prior amount (hard to tell since I have 2 meds now --- both really low doses, but dr wanted the additional medicine after the drama started). Anyway, I was feeling so tired for last couple of weeks and I thought it was just age. It finally dawned on me yesterday after I could hardly complete a walk of the dogs and my BP was 105/55, no wonder I felt like peeling myself off the floor! No wonder I haven't really been able to cycle as I was just so tired. So now I have to monitor and try to find the right amount....I hate putting on the BP cuff, wish it was easier :)

Workout wise, DH and I did cycle friday and saturday ( I had to shorten them and make them easier), yesterday we walked the dogs and that's when it dawned on me!

Ronne, DH has been retired almost a year. It really started with when work was playing games with him, benching him, then needing him urgently for a trip the next day, repeat. He finally quit playing and was on the bench long enough that they let him go. Got a little package and around February that money ran out so we are now on our retirement money.

Mary, congrats to DS! I think I remember reading somewhere he got it?

Jody, I could hike some, not like I used to. I do feel my ankle more these days. Also my index finger and thumb when I over do it sewing. You really like the European trips! No trip out here? I do have a spare bed! Don't expect the ritz though :) .

Good morning everyone! Have been doing some yoga and Pilates, got a sinus infection, slowed me down. I’m going to try something a bit more later today. DS did get the internship! Yesterday was orientation, today is his first day, he will have to work 7 days a week for a bit, (with the zoo), he’s so excited tho! Thank you for the prayers! They worked!

Lisa, so glad things are working out for you and your sister. Such a relief!

Ronne, Switzerland! Sounds like a dream!

Jody, triathlons?? Wow! Impressive! I could come and be your Sherpa! I’m trained and the best cheerleader!

Hope everyone else is well! Mary

Hello

Mary - sorry to hear about the infection. Have you enjoyed doing yoga and pilates? That's not your usual kind of thing is it? Well done to DS! He's working in a zoo?

Lisa - good news on health and learning to say no! Thanks for the update on DH - I remembered his work going a bit erratic but missed the retirement bit. Do you mind him being at home all the time?

The current regime is having good results - I've slimmed down a bit (specially the stomach area!). I put on a dress last night I hadn't worn for a couple of months and it was looser. (Not that I'm trying to lose weight.) Did PHA2 on Monday then the rest has been yoga.
Went out for dinner last night to celebrate the end of DD's exams. She can now relax and enjoy the summer. (If it turns up - we're having ridiculously low temps and huge amounts of rain. I had to delve back into my winter clothes yesterday that I'd put away. I'm currently wearing fingerless gloves!)

Hello all! Put STS off to the side, sinus stuff put me off! Have been doing Cathe lives and mowing grass!

Ronne, yes he works at the zoo! He’ll be doing NASA Monday through Friday, then the zoo on Saturday and Sunday. It will keep him busy! It really means no sleeping in for him and me!
I’m sorry about the cold weather, hard to believe it’s June anywhere!

How is everyone else? Going to Chicago this weekend to get eldest DS moved in for his internship, so I will see you next week! Mary

Blaaaah, bad food hangover for me today o_O and I couldn't muster a workout, too bad cuz I've been doing really well and my fat pants are getting baggy. Lucky for me, tomorrow is a new day!

Mary, congrats to the kiddos! I hope you feel better asap, plus good luck on move this weekend. You guys are going to stay busy!

Ronne, congrats to your dd on her exams being done, woop woop! I've got plenty of warmth here in FL, I'll try to share, though we've got regular rain, too. Actually my AC went out this week and it was low 80's inside the house for a few days. You've got gloves and jumpers on?!

Lisa, awesome job on the stress management and improved BP. I might be able to finagle some time off mid/late July, perhaps I'll plan an out of state hike and raft trip in TN or something. Can you still do those 14ers? I'm not sure how I'd hold up with altitude in CO.

Tracy, you are due for a check in!

Oh my "triathalon" swim was merely bobbing in the ocean for hours and avg speed on the bike was 5mph and there was a short walk included out to inter-coastal. Have a fantastic weekend, friends~~~~~

Happy Monday?!? We e been cycling, logged almost 90 miles last week! I’m up early this morning but going to take the day off because my knee is hurting. I decide to get a stretch out strap to aid in my hamstring stretches, that’s how much my knee hurts! It’s either because my hamstring is tight and/or overuse like my hand gets. These body parts seem to get aggravated more in our advancing age.

Ronne, he doesn’t bother me being home, I’m used to it since he’s worked from home for decades. I really wish I could slim down with no effort! Everything is about a month behind in blooming this year. I still have yet to need to wear sleeveless cycling jerseys. My Facebook memories show me complaining of the heat a couple years ago and many years of sleeveless jerseys being worn already. I kinda like it.

Mary, how did it go in Chicago? So happy for DS!

Jody, I could probably still do a 14er except I couldn’t do them AND cycle. I haven’t had anyone come from sea level that had issues with the altitude in the city (5300 ft), but if you go higher you would have issues unless you spent a couple of days in the city first. My brother and sis in law felt the altitude difference going from sea level all the way to vail at 9000 ft, and they are fit, very ,very fit. I feel it when going up in the mountains too but don’t get the altitude sickness many out of state people get. I have days I have to push myto get out to cycle, I’m always happier I did then didn’t. It helps to have a partner, and especially suki, she doesn’t let us not take her out, if not for a ride then at least a walk.

Hello

Mary - hope the move went smoothly.

Jody - we can't be on it every day. You're making progress anyway. That must have been tough without the a/c for a few days.

Lisa - enjoy your stretching. The odd thing is that the garden is just as normal because May was pretty good. It's just June that's turning out to be a washout. Last June we had a heatwave! I thought of you the other day, I was watching a programme called The Planets and the presenter was at a site outside Denver where a massive asteroid crashed millions of years ago and they think it was responsible for wiping out the dinosaurs. Have you ever been there?

Didn't do much over the weekend. Workouts have been mainly yoga though today did a KCM KB. DD's gone off this morning on holiday to Europe for a few days with a friend. Her first trip abroad without us!

Lite Pyramid 1 set pm done! I also did a TB weight work last week on Monday that I forgot to post, I miss so many I hate to leave one out. I'm reading up on some local bike rides I'd like to do this week- forecast is for rain though. I might do beach snorkel but again, weather permitting. I'd had 5 work days off in a row but due to call outs, I worked all weekend. So I guess I'll let ya know how work outty I get.

Ronne, that sounds exciting for DD. My veg garden got pretty fried in early May. I'll start over with an emphasis on lettuces I think, I can put them in the shade and they do OK.

Lisa, I'll keep an eye out for flights if you are up for a quick visit. I think it would be fun to do a hike like you've shown pics.

Mary, are you feeling better? Will you be driving DS many days? Congrats to him! My Gator kid is home for a few days, then off to??

Hi all! Move went smoothly, in his sublet you can see The Bean right across the street! He’s on Michigan Avenue, he living the high life, I’m so glad he invites us to join in!

Ronne, is it nerve wracking to send DD off? I worry every day, in my heart they are still my little ones, my brain knows better. Strange dichotomy.

Jody, do they give you bonus pay for coming in on your day off? Where is your DD off to next? So exciting what all our children are doing!

Lisa, how’s your knee? Hope it’s feeling better. Does the rain bother it more?

Hope everyone is well, have to get my wash and house back together! Mary

Mary, I have pics of me at The Bean (post divorce skinny revenge Jody ha ha). Congrats to him and best wishes for a great summer. Re bonus pay, not much. You earn points that can be redeemed for a gift cards. A 12 hour shift on a Saturday nets about 14 dollars at Amazon ( I think, I haven't crunched the numbers lately). However the co workers are usually quite grateful to be less short staffed.

Lisa, I read an article bemoaning the lack of preparedness of hikers for CO 14ers. Maybe I have the wrong idea (show up and take a long strenuous walk)?

Ronne, I thought the dinosaur asteroid was in the Yucatan Peninsula?

I did some real local stuff- 19 mile ride on Jupiter Island- apparently rode past Tiger Wood's and Celine Dion's places but neither was obvious to me, plus I think Tiger doesn't live there anymore, just the ex and kids? I think Celine lives in Vegas? IDK, but bike was mostly fun and the ride included a few beaches. It stopped being fun at about mile 16- my seat area got sore, etc so maybe that is my limit? Today was snorkel day and I saw some cool fish, but storms kicked in and cut that short. 6577

Hi everyone, not too much bike riding here, just 17 miles yesterday. Mon and Tues and today, I just walked the dog, nice and cool, but so humid for here.

Mary, the knee is ok, I'm wondering if I just need better stretching, I got a stretch out strap and trying to be diligent, I hate stretching! I've been good about stretching hammies, but quad I've neglected and that probably gets a lot of use in cycling. It's hard 'letting go' and not worrying about kids. You'll never quit worrying. It does make me proud to see them independent. That is what we want.

Ronne, never heard of that.....maybe it's why there is a place called dinosaur ridge (or something like that). There is a site in the city that is being built on and they found dinosaur bones!

Jody, here's some info on altitude sickness. http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/altitude-sickness-rocky-mountain-national-park.htm
I've seen MANY people not prepared when skiing when I was young and 14ers (14,000 ft) are even harder than the ski resort area). And in my older age (even my bff), I notice the altitude more in the mountains that I ever did when young. At just 7500 feet (I live at 5500 ft), I feel the difference if I stay overnight (symptoms, laying in bed, not able to get to sleep as I feel less oxygen). At 9000 ft, I feel the weakness, at 14,000 ft, headache. I'm not sure what is a strenuous hike for you, my sister from FL, did fine for a day hike at 7500 ft, returning back to 5500 ft at night(she did acclimate for a couple of days to the 5500 ft before hiking). I would not recommend going any higher than this unless you spent a few days acclimating at 5500 ft (and it doesn't sound like that would be the case). Since I walked the dog these last couple of days, I do feel my darn ankle again, so if you did come, I would guess that my ankle could only handle 1 hike of 6 miles or so. I thought you may be interested in cycling, lots of things in the city for that (I say city, but the paths don't feel like city, ie. all paths). I have the ebikes available if needed too. My butt starts hurting on the bike at about 20 miles when riding flat (there's only one flat ride in Denver). You use different muscles cycling on flats vs hills. I always long for flats, but when I get on them I find myself wishing for the hills I have.

Now then speaking of cycling, I saw on the news, they are STILL trying to clear the bike paths in the mountains from all the avalanche debris! They do not expect to have it all cleared until mid JULY! And at that there will still be snow over 5 ft tall on the sides! I'm astounded! They don't expect the snow to melt in those areas this summer! It's amazing even for this Colorado girl who is used to snow!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.